2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Does anyone still game Ping Eye 2's?

Hit em good

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1401465702' post='9396669']
[quote name='J-Blade' timestamp='1401424126' post='9394301']
[quote name='kess13' timestamp='1401420810' post='9394053']
Picked up a set at GS for $59 3-SW with zz kites. They were in great shape so I had to buy them. Played 9 and they were the easiest club to hit I've ever used. No wonder they get so much love.
[/quote]

That's a great price for a clean set.

The going rate seems to be around $150 or so, at least around SoCal.
[/quote]

That's pretty pricey.

Got my 3-P for $125 including a white Ping staff bag in Minnesota - however lots of sets were for sale at that time. Seems to be the normal course of supply and demand business.

Though I've often thought that ping should have gone beyond the wedges in the XG issue. If they reissued the Eye2 set with XG grooves, I bet they'd sell tons of them.
[/quote]

Hi Scooter,

This was at two local "Play It Again Sports" stores. I thought that was a bit high too. It sounds like you got a great deal.

I agree on re-issuing the Eye2s with XG grooves. That would rock and I guarantee people would snatch them up. I mentioned that in a thread on here about Ping discontinuing the wedges.

Ping S59 irons 5-PW
Ping bronze J-Blade putter
Titleist 910D2 driver,
TM Jetspeed 3W & 5W

TM Rescue Hybrid 23*
Ping Rapture 21* Hybrid
Ping Eye 2+ SW, Hogan Special PW

[quote name='J-Blade' timestamp='1401470620' post='9397149']
Hi Scooter,

This was at two local "Play It Again Sports" stores. I thought that was a bit high too. It sounds like you got a great deal.

I agree on re-issuing the Eye2s with XG grooves. That would rock and I guarantee people would snatch them up. I mentioned that in a thread on here about Ping discontinuing the wedges.
[/quote]

I've found PIA to be a PITA at times.

Try Craigslist - that's where I got mine. Here's a big set of black dot 1-W matching serials for $125:

[url="http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/spo/4488158055.html"]http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/spo/4488158055.html[/url]

Here's a 3-W set red dot if you prefer at $120:

[url="http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/spo/4462932353.html"]http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/spo/4462932353.html[/url]

Heck, 3-PW for $75 in Palm Springs!!!

[url="http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/spo/4476235095.html"]http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/spo/4476235095.html[/url]

Go forth and seek irons young man!

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Nice leads. Thanks.

Holding off for now because of some unforeseen financial issues, nothing major, just some belt tightening, but I'll check back on CL once things turn around.

Ping S59 irons 5-PW
Ping bronze J-Blade putter
Titleist 910D2 driver,
TM Jetspeed 3W & 5W

TM Rescue Hybrid 23*
Ping Rapture 21* Hybrid
Ping Eye 2+ SW, Hogan Special PW

I picked up the pitch, sand and lob off ebay in light of the XG being discontinued and feel more comfortable from 100 and in than ever and may even get up and down once in a while.

PING Rapture V2 with BB
PING Crossover - 3
PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
PING Chipo!
PING Pal - Karsten

I am a clubmaker but not a club ho. 10 handicap. I've played a few sets of Golfsmith irons over the years. I picked up a set of Eye2+ a while back, and I love them. They are now my number one set. I have NEVER been able to hit a 3 or 4 iron, and these are no different for me. It's more about the length than the loft. I might send the 5 and 6 irons to have the lofts strengthened, which should even out the distances between clubs. I like not needing a gap wedge. I need to find a Eye2 SW now, I think.

I bought a set of plus heads, and am going to try some graphite shafts in them.

I was really surprised at how they play. I thought the ball flight would be super high. But it's actually just a bit lower than the GI irons I have played. But with more spin. I think that is the whole system of head and shaft that KS designed. Very impressive. Another surprise was that they are not as forgiving as a lot of modern GI heads. I mean they ARE forgiving, but not like today's stuff.

One question I have is, if I was going to try something newer or new in Pings, coming from the +'s, what would I go for? I don't work the ball. I hit high enough, but I like offset. Probably the G25???

Do the XG wedges have the V sole like the Eye2+ wedge? Or are they more of a regular sole?

Also, I see different beliefs in the thread, but isn't it the case that Ping and the USGA re-settled on the grooves thing, and all the various Eye2 and plus and no plus are now non-conforming for competition? I read the page about it on the Ping website and got more confused, LOL!

I have a set of eye 2s box grooves. Haven't gamed them in years. Took me from 17 to 7 but with lessons of course. Keeping them forever
Strengthen the loft to 48* pw (-) 4* all the way up to 4 iron
Game s56 from 57 from bridgestones j33
Use the eye 2s for back up travel ( no (major games/bets)) set. It still rocks but use a softer ball cos it can feel like rocks sometimes....

• 2 weeks later...

After more than 12 years away from the game, I am just getting back into it, and more excited than I have ever been about it. I have my original Mizuno Cimarrons from around '90 that are still in remarkable condition with the original grips, but I'm itching for a change.

I am not against new tech, but there has always been something about the BeCu Eye2s that have drawn me in. I want a set in a bad way. I have been looking through eBay and CraigsList, and the prices seem to be all over the map. What's a reasonable going rate for a full set (3-SW) of Black Dot BeCu Eye2s? I found a set locally that is very clean with a K shafts from July of '91 in blue dot that I am considering grabbing and having bent to blacks. He's asking a little more than I think they are worth but I want to make him an offer. Where should they be priced?

doug

• 2 weeks later...

Whelp, I finally connected with the seller and bought the clubs I have wanted since I was in high school.

They are July of 1991 Blue Dot Eye 2+ with +.5" K shafts. The Ping rep that I talked to wasn't exactly sure what the original K shafts were (anyone know for sure? I have seen varying opinions). They were originally sold as a 3-SW, but for some reason, the seller reached back into his car and handed me a 1-iron with the same set serial number. Awesome bonus, but now my OCD will always know that any 2-iron I find to complete the set will be an odd-ball. :) They all have relatively fresh Tour Wrap grips on them, except the 1-iron which is dry-rotted and needs a replacement.

Cleaned them up a bit last night, re-filled & painted the while numerals and replaced my old irons in my bag with new/old irons that are actually about the same age as the ones coming out. With any luck, I'll get to the range tomorrow before a planned 18 on Monday morning.

Can't wait, these things are beautiful.

I put a bag together of some Becu eye 2 black dots. 1-lw
I picked them up off some dude on Long Island , horrible pics, went cheap.
So I regrip with some new decades, and there so nice I can't play them. I sold them for almost a thousand.

Cobra ZL Encore 8.5 Matrix 6Q3
TEE CB4 tour 15 RIP 70 Sigma
Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo
Mizuno Mp-53 4-pw DG progressive shafts
Odyssey Black ProType 10 Sm 4.5 TP ball
Mizuno raw haze 50, 56 Scratch 60

[quote name='roundersmitty' timestamp='1403967055' post='9596411']
Ya...The Ping BeCu can't be bumped if those clubs were not a good fit. Newer steel Eye2s can be bumped 4 codes and older Eye2s 2 code. But a grand can get some great new stuff... well played.
[/quote]

FWIW, Ping [i][b]will[/b][/i] bend BeCus up to 1° if they are plus models. I believe a waiver is necessary if they are any other BeCu model, but they most certainly will bend to change lie codes one color either way.

[quote name='upon3' timestamp='1403969246' post='9596593']
[quote name='roundersmitty' timestamp='1403967055' post='9596411']
Ya...The Ping BeCu can't be bumped if those clubs were not a good fit. Newer steel Eye2s can be bumped 4 codes and older Eye2s 2 code. But a grand can get some great new stuff... well played.
[/quote]

FWIW, Ping [i][b]will[/b][/i] bend BeCus up to 1° if they are plus models. I believe a waiver is necessary if they are any other BeCu model, but they most certainly will bend to change lie codes one color either way.
[/quote]

Oh, ok, I just used the Ping site as a quick reference when it comes to bumping clubs. http://www.ping.com/about/clubrepair.aspx But I take your word for it...

Played this morning for the first time since 2002, and 18-holes for the first time in about 20 years. I'm tired, sore, sweaty but incredibly happy with my recent pickup of the BeCu Eye2s. Love them. Need to re-grip that 1-iron which I hit surprisingly well, and I'm not totally comfortable with the loft on the PW but I'll figure that stuff out. Love these old school clubs.

Have 2 display sets of BeCu's in old vintage Ping bags in my offices, one at home & one at work. I'll break them out once a year for fun. Shot my lowest round of the season w/ them a few years ago. Still spin like crazy too. Great clubs.....

Titleist TS2 Driver (10.5*) w/ Tensei AV Blue (Stiff)

Ping G410 Fairway Wood (16*) w/ Alta CB Red (Stiff)

Titleist TS2 Hybrid (19*) w/ Tensie AV Blue (Stiff)

Srixon Z585 Irons (5-PW) w/ Nippon Modus 3 105 (Stiff)

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge (50*/11) w/ Dynamic Gold 115

Cleveland RTX Zipcord Raw Wedges (54*/10 and 58*/10) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour

Vokey SM6 Black w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour  (62*/8)

Scotty Cameron Futura X5r Putter (34”)

im gaming some 2+ becu and im getting the ho itch, i want to get a modern set, but at the same time i love these clubs.... was considering some upgraded shafts, they have the microtapers in them right now, was considering putting some C-tapers in. anyone have experience with upgraded shafts in these heads?

G430 Max 9*

Ping G25 20*

Ping G425 26*
Ping i500 5-W
Ping Glide Forged 50*/54* 
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 2  58*
Ping PLD Custom DS72H 

I have S300's in my BeCu Eye 2's & KBS Tours in my BeCu Eye 2 +. Very happy w/ both. The S300 helps me keep the flight down a little on the original Eye 2's because the lofts are a little higher, but that combination can start to feel heavy after a while. KBS Tours feel like butter in the +'s.

Titleist TS2 Driver (10.5*) w/ Tensei AV Blue (Stiff)

Ping G410 Fairway Wood (16*) w/ Alta CB Red (Stiff)

Titleist TS2 Hybrid (19*) w/ Tensie AV Blue (Stiff)

Srixon Z585 Irons (5-PW) w/ Nippon Modus 3 105 (Stiff)

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge (50*/11) w/ Dynamic Gold 115

Cleveland RTX Zipcord Raw Wedges (54*/10 and 58*/10) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour

Vokey SM6 Black w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour  (62*/8)

Scotty Cameron Futura X5r Putter (34”)

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately my beloved BeCu Ping Eye 2+'s, black dot, zz-lite shafts, with original grips were recently stolen in a military move. Trying to locate a set on Ebay has been more of a challenge then I thought. I see a lot of sets out there but most look like they have gone through the ringer or they are priced way outside my budget. Hopefully I can come across a set at a reasonable price so I can hit the links again soon.

The one set of clubs i wont sell is my Eye 2+ 2-pw, orange dot w/kt shafts. Bagged them about half of last year but only couple times so far this year. Really only bring them out when i feel like im struggling with my irons. For some reason they seem to get me and my swing back to where it needs to be, funny how that works..

Ping G430 9 Lst Tour AD Iz-6s

Tour Issue M2 3HL Tour AD Tp 7s

Adams 21* Super Hybrid Motore 7.3 TS

T200 5-Pw Matrix Program 130

Vokey SM9 48, TP ATV 54 n 60 S400

TI Tour black spider

I tried gaming ping eye 2 with same LLL as my current set +1/2, 2 upright - and while they are decent, there is no reason to still be gaming these clubs. Current irons are made so much better. You're telling me Ping has spent the last 30 years producing new irons every year and have failed to do so the whole time? Please...stop drinking the eye2 koolaid and buy yourself some new irons. That being side if anyone wants some +1/2 inch green dots please PM me.

D - Mizuno ST200G, Tour AD-XC

3W - TSi2, Tour AD-HD

2i - Mizuno MP-H5

4-P - Cleveland 588 MB - KBS Tour

50,54,60 - Vokey SM9 - KBS 610

P - TP Mills Custom Ming

[quote name='gents15' timestamp='1405220350' post='9689621']
I tried gaming ping eye 2 with same LLL as my current set +1/2, 2 upright - and while they are decent, there is no reason to still be gaming these clubs. Current irons are made so much better. You're telling me Ping has spent the last 30 years producing new irons every year and have failed to do so the whole time? Please...stop drinking the eye2 koolaid and buy yourself some new irons. That being side if anyone wants some +1/2 inch green dots please PM me.
[/quote]

I played the best golf of my life last year with my eye 2's. Wouldnt have played any better with any other set. Sounds like a ploy to sell your own clubs.

Sold my black dot PE2 BeCu's in the offseason to a guy in Australia for $450. Worst decision of my ho'ing career.

I wouldn't be gaming them, but they were so sweet on all accounts: beautiful, rare, solid & timeless.

Broke 80 twice in my last year playing them, off a 14 HDCP. I'd buy another set in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using GolfWRX Mobile