2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Does anyone still game Ping Eye 2's?

Hit em good

Reshafted a set of 2+ 4-W with KBS Tour stiff. There is no lack of distance there for me. But I am fighting some distance variation (ball flies way too far when flushed). Fighting a big of pull/draw if not careful.

But man, the top trailing edge is so perfect to guide the path of the back swing and encourage a proper inside-out swing.

All LH :

Driver : TM SLDR430 10.5° Fujikura Speeder 65
3-Wood : Callaway FT 15° Neutral Fujikura FitOn 160
3-Hybrid : Adams XTD Dry Proto 21° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
4-Hybrid : Adams XTD DHy Proto 24° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
5-PW : Adams XTD Forged Aldila RIP Tour SLT115
Wedges : Titleist Vokey SM4 52° & 258.08 58° TT Dynamic Gold
Putter : Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball Blade

Played eye 2's for about 10 years back when they were first introduced. Last week picked up 1-L beryllium's, green dot , zz lite on Ebay. Had leather GripMasters on the first set I ever had and they just never lost the tacky feel and cushion. Thinking I need to do leather on the new set. I could hand stitch some custom leathers. Done that many times with putters and one time with a set of irons.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1089679-back-to-old-school-ping-eye-2-beco-to-mate-with-the-arrowhead/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='scruffynick' timestamp='1413841508' post='10321523']
Best club ever made, still playing mine since 1990. Never used anything else, all with the zz lite shafts. Should be stiff but they just don't play that way........ping always said that shafts was the only shaft for the eye 2s, they were right. Brilliant brilliant irons
[/quote]
How do the zz lite shafts play?

Cobra ZL Encore 8.5 Matrix 6Q3
TEE CB4 tour 15 RIP 70 Sigma
Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo
Mizuno Mp-53 4-pw DG progressive shafts
Odyssey Black ProType 10 Sm 4.5 TP ball
Mizuno raw haze 50, 56 Scratch 60

[quote name='12tamale' timestamp='1413843700' post='10321703']
Best club ever made, still playing mine since 1990. Never used anything else, all with the zz lite shafts. Should be stiff but they just don't play that way........ping always said that shafts was the only shaft for the eye 2s, they were right. Brilliant brilliant irons
[/quote]
[/quote]

Boardy.

[/quote]
[/quote]

I would say (like many others) the zz lites play just a bit less stiff than x flex

I'm one of those high handicappers that the Eye 2s were originally aimed at. I picked up a rough old set for $65 when I started playing this year and cleaned them up myself, but struggled to hit them. Ended up storing them for 6 months while I used a set of Big Berthas, but decided to take them out last weekend for a comparison.

What can I say... I broke 100 for the first time ever, including a few solid pars, GIRs (gasp) and even a couple birdie putts (which inevitably became 3 putts) - unheard of for me! Barely hit my woods as I felt so comfortable hitting iron shots, even the 3 iron off the tee felt manageable. They'll be staying in the bag from now on that's for sure.

I've got the ZZ-Lite shafts, and although I have a slow swing speed I can hit them no problem. I originally thought they were too stiff, but I think that was just me failing to find the sweet spot. You sure know when you hit a bad one - the feedback up the shaft can be pretty harsh - but I've starting to think that might actually be a good thing as far as learning the feeling of proper impact goes.

I still play the eye2 wedge as a gap wedge for my g2's. Something about the combination of forgiveness, turf interaction and look at address..I'll never take it out of the bag.

They're not ridiculously huge either. They have a perfect looking topline. Ping got it right for sure. I wish newer GI irons looked and felt like eye 2's

[/quote]
[/quote]

I find them firm I think but I've just based my whole swing on these clubs/shafts. I've tried stiff and the zz lite don't play stiff to me, they are light and kick nicely through with a good flight. Ping wouldn't any other shaft in the ping eye 2 for years saying they were made for them, so I guess something is in the shaft club set up that makes it work. I started using them in 1990 and I was 13 and not very strong and small (I'm still 5-6") but I don't recall saying 'these are a bugger to hit.' But having said that my swing is quit short and quick so the zz kites might just be the correct shaft and I got lucky!!

Took the old be-cu eye 2 + out on the course today for a round in the club comp. I haven't bagged them for about 2 years but they were calling out to me again after my g25's were starting to look just too big at address.
Gotta say these are just timeless, wonderful irons. I know I'm not alone in saying this. Far from it, they have been acclaimed for a quarter of a century.
They are just so playable and perform well in just about every way. Mine have the ZZ lite which I also believe is the best combo for these heads.
One of the things that was striking to me was the favorable trajectory throughout the set. The long irons have a higher but piercing flight while the short irons, unlike other GI sets (my g25's included) show no signs of launching into the stratosphere. In fact the trajectory of the 8 iron up is more like the blade sets I have played. Maybe that is due to the shaft.
I could go on about hoe well they perform but instead I will only say that these will definitely get more chances to shine in the coming rounds.
They remind me a little of my recent experience with my Cameron Kombi mallet putter. Most dedicated ho's could relate to this but i recently put the Kombi back in the bag after struggling with putting. Straight away I started holing puts again and wondered why I ever took it out of the bag.
This is how it feel with the eye 2's. I can't remember or work out why I ever took them out. Go figure.....

I just sent my Eye 2+ SW back to Ping. The PW from the set is 48.5* that I hit comfortably 110-115. The SW was measured to be 54* (53* was std) which I hit 90y comfortably...need to close face slightly and hammer it to go 100y (I know many will say...hit an easy PW. But I find I hit all my clubs 90% max SS and trying to hit easy is what I'm already doing and the ball goes farther than I expect every time). Was hitting wedges with 51 and 52 loft 95-105y, so sent it to Ping to bend to 51.5*. Have Mizzy forged wedges 56* and 60* that I hit 80y and 60y, plus around the green. Should be the last tinkering I do with my set-up for awhile.

I wish I could find an Eye 2+ SW - they're near impossible to get hold of here in Australia.

I got lucky at a thrift store and picked up a blue dot 58* LW - it's the best $20 I've ever spent. The grind on that thing is some sort of black magic - it looks like it has an absolute ton of bounce (listed as something like 16*!) but open it up and it'll flop and lob from even the tightest lie. I swear it shouldn't be able to play some of the shots I've tried with it!

Anybody know what the grind is like on the XG wedges - more like the classic Eye 2s or scalloped away like the +?

[quote name='jplroper' timestamp='1412793207' post='10256175']
Anyone playing s300's in their eye 2's? How do they preform for you compared to stock ping shafts? Thanks
[/quote]
I had mine reshafted with S300s earlier this year (BeCu Eye2+). They play fine, a little softer feel than my S57s with the same shaft. I took X JZ shafts out, which felt like boards. So far, no regrets with the S300s, but I haven't played them much yet.

[quote name='ChamakhMyPitchUp' timestamp='1414628553' post='10370959']
I wish I could find an Eye 2+ SW - they're near impossible to get hold of here in Australia.

I got lucky at a thrift store and picked up a blue dot 58* LW - it's the best $20 I've ever spent. The grind on that thing is some sort of black magic - it looks like it has an absolute ton of bounce (listed as something like 16*!) but open it up and it'll flop and lob from even the tightest lie. I swear it shouldn't be able to play some of the shots I've tried with it!

Anybody know what the grind is like on the XG wedges - more like the classic Eye 2s or scalloped away like the +?
[/quote]

Big difference on SW lofts, the Eye 2 is 57.5, while the Eye 2+ was 53. My set 2-PW is Eye 2+, but my SW is the Eye 2.

[/quote]
The XG's grind is like the original eye 2.

I've had 2 sets of Eye2's. The irons were ahead of their time.
One set I bought brand new back around 1982 or 83, and another set I bought a few years later after I sold my original set for a set of Wilson Staff Tour blades. After hitting the blades for a couple seasons (sweet spot was about the size of a dime), I went back to the Eye2's.
I still have that set today, 2 thru LW. They sit in a bag in my attic and I'll grab them every once in awhile and take them out to play. I also let friends / family that come to visit use them so they don't have to pack their clubs on the trip. I've had a lot of offers to buy them from me (most people who borrow them love them), but I doubt I will ever sell.
They simply never get old.

[/quote]

I love the + wedges. If you use the Runyan method of chipping, and I do, I don't think there is a better sole grind for it. You can stand the wedge up on the toe and still have bounce. Go to youtube and find the Legendary Golf Chipping video. That's what I do, with the + wedges. It takes a little getting used to, but not much. Absolutely shank proof too. I'd love to find new wedges with that sole shape. I don't think they exist though.

I bought my first set of Eye 2s at the height of the square groove craze in 1987. Gamed them for years... made hole-in-ones with the 5 and 6 irons and... like an idiot sold them to buy other clubs.

In 2010 I bought a set of Eye 2 BeCu via Craigslist... Overpaid but they were great. There was some confusion about the 6 iron being bogus... or a replacement... I ended up selling those... (disclosing the 6 iron issue).

My most recent purchase was a set of Eye 2 + in BeCu. These are orange dot... which I need. I looked for them forever and found a set on Craigslist in Tulsa. I'm in Canada. We transacted and it was fine.

I've not played a lot this summer because of an illness with my daughter... so it's too early to make a call. They are more demanding to hit than my modern Ping G10s. Might be more demanding than the Eye 2s.

Reading this post CONVINCES ME to keep these... whether I play them or not.

If I could do it all again... I would have spent the extra $200 in 1987 and bought BeCus... I can't totally recall... but because I worked in a golf shop... I paid $699 for them? BeCus were $899 in 1987?

Also... I should have been patient and got fitted. In those days fitting wasn't the rage and I took the black dots. They were hard to get in those days... I remember waiting for a month or so for them to arrive...

That's my long and boring Ping story. Great clubs. Great customer service too.

Peace.

I'm only 14 and I have to game my dad's Eye 2s until I can get a new set of irons and he can have his back but they are bleeding brilliant irons, I play them from 2 iron to W and contrary to what the handicap says I strike the ball well but have only played in a handful of competitions at my club only 5 and they don't let us play in the men's comps until we're 16 but, in practice I hit that 2 iron about 240yds (big build for my age 5ft9" 70kg rugby player) and my driver barely ever comes out of my bag because of it. The shafts in these thing ZZ-Lite are brilliant demoe'd the irons I'm hopefully getting (AP2s) they come with True Temper XP 95 S300 and for a shaft that is almost 30 years older they are about 2 times as good, the heads launch the ball middle height from what I can tell with hitting other people's clubs, the lofts are quite weak though but don't effect the distance too much the only problem with them is the heads are so ugly not as bad as the ISIs from whaat I've seen of them but good god they do look bad compared to modern clubs but all in all no less forgiving than anything my mates play

• 4 weeks later...

$450 buys you a brand new set of Eye2's from ebay...[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ping-Eye-2-Plus-3-PW-SW-Iron-Set-KT-M-Stiff-Flex-Shaft-Steel-21187-/121458647274?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item1c477fe0ea"]http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c477fe0ea[/url]

All you guys that say "bring back Eye2", now's your chance...

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='1970.gpp' timestamp='1417357179' post='10520961']
Every single time this topic hits page 1 I want to buy another set. They're so timeless and reliable, it makes me wish I'd never gotten rid of the last set I owned.

Have any of you put together a vintage PING bag with the EYE2s as the centerpiece? I'm considering doing that...
[/quote]

I had a bag with Eye2 irons, Warbird fairway woods and driver, but I parted with the Callaway stuff. Besides the driver, I could put all those clubs in my bag and my game wouldn't suffer.

I just got the Eye2+ black dot PW I've been needing for my set yesterday for $1.99 at Goodwill. The shaft was bent but considering the head is in fine shape it's not a problem. I'll yank a KT or TT shaft from another club, throw it in a be good to go.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]