2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Does anyone still game Ping Eye 2's?

Hit em good

Picked up a set recently because of this thread. 4-SW. Really love the Wedges and short irons. Spin like nothing I've used before. The interesting thing is that they are the exact same lofts as my set of Cobra's I usually play. Just one club longer. I now carry a 4 hybrid and 4 iron because the lofts are so different.

Picked up a set today. 2-PW black dot in great shape. 3-PW have matching serials. I'm going to reshaft them with C-Tapers and do work!

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='schlebrock' timestamp='1367193148' post='6933911']
[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1367192711' post='6933877']
[quote name='schlebrock' timestamp='1367189685' post='6933615']
Just purchased a never hit 1-LW, matching serial number set of Ping Eye 2 + "no +" black dot set with ZZ-Lites. After reading this thread I'm debating whether to hit them or just collect them.

I'm leaning towards hitting them! :)
[/quote]

Problem is you can find used sets on ebay for cheap that will play as well as the new set. I'd lean toward hitting them too, but it's not the best financial decision.
[/quote]

Finances are not a concern but I'm probably going to buy a used single iron or two and see how they hit and then then decide if I want to game them.

I also recently bought a new set of ISI's and Zing 2's and decided to game them too. I just can't look at these old Ping's sitting around in a closet for too long without feeling the urge to play them. Plus my i20's with Recoil's aren't exactly the combo that I hoped they would be so I'm still ho'ing.

Sincere thanks for the input.
[/quote]

I still have a 2-SW ISI steel set with the stiff JZ shafts, the 2 iron is an ISI-K. They could definitely use a more modern shaft but I love the way the smaller head frames the ball. Tempted to sell them occasionally as there's always plenty on Ebay but was fitted for them and just can't do it. Been ordered this week to clear the mini golf store of equipment in our cellar but the ISI's are staying. Crazy really, they'll never get used.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='steamcorners' timestamp='1358650509' post='6262513']
Forgive me for asking a question that may have been answered elsewhere--But I was looking at a set of Eye 2s today: stainless, no plus.

I didn't see a serial number on the hosels of any of the clubs except for the 3i. Is this normal? I'm guessing not, since I see references to matching serials. But they were green dot, perfect for my excessive height, and priced nicely...

Am I looking at knockoffs? How do I confirm before I pull the trigger?
[/quote]
Do they look pretty shiny? I've seen some folks gt over-zealous in polishing them (especially BeCus) and buff the serial number till its illegible or gone. It'll hurt resale value, but if it's from a non-shady place and you're planning on keeping them, go for it. I've heard rumors of fake eye2s, but have never actually seen any. If anyone has pics, please post.

These don't seem to go for $100 on ebay! Unless you can find a deal somewhere they seem more like $200-300 for stainless.

Anyone checked lofts? Last link seems more plausible, or at least better. The originals seem a bit funky on lofts.

Club Loft Lie Length
1 16.0° 58.0° 39.75"
2 18.5° 58.5° 39.25"
3 21.5° 59.5° 38.75"
4 25.0° 60.0° 38.25"
5 28.5° 61.0° 37.75"
6 32.0° 61.5° 37.25"
7 36.0° 62.5° 36.75"
8 40.0° 63.0° 36.25"
9 45.0° 64.0° 35.75"
PW 50.5° 64.5° 35.50"
SW 57.5° 64.5° 35.25"
LW 61.0°

Better than this other site which lists them as

Iron
1 16
2 18
3 21
4 25
5 28
6 32
7 36
8 40
9 45
PW 50
SW 57
LW 61

Anyone know if the first is more accurate? Seems the Eye2+ have more sensible lofts. Would or do you adjust the SW? Or other clubs?
Do the Eye2+ come in ZZ lite? Think I'd like to pick up a set.

Have a set of earlier Karsten III, but these seem to be relics...easier to hit that some clubs of the day, but doubt many are playing them.

[quote name='davidmacq' timestamp='1373573165' post='7433928']
These don't seem to go for $100 on ebay! Unless you can find a deal somewhere they seem more like $200-300 for stainless.

Anyone checked lofts? Last link seems more plausible, or at least better. The originals seem a bit funky on lofts.

Club Loft Lie Length
1 16.0° 58.0° 39.75"
2 18.5° 58.5° 39.25"
3 21.5° 59.5° 38.75"
4 25.0° 60.0° 38.25"
5 28.5° 61.0° 37.75"
6 32.0° 61.5° 37.25"
7 36.0° 62.5° 36.75"
8 40.0° 63.0° 36.25"
9 45.0° 64.0° 35.75"
PW 50.5° 64.5° 35.50"
SW 57.5° 64.5° 35.25"
LW 61.0°

Better than this other site which lists them as

Iron
1 16
2 18
3 21
4 25
5 28
6 32
7 36
8 40
9 45
PW 50
SW 57
LW 61

Anyone know if the first is more accurate? Seems the Eye2+ have more sensible lofts. Would or do you adjust the SW? Or other clubs?
Do the Eye2+ come in ZZ lite? Think I'd like to pick up a set.

Have a set of earlier Karsten III, but these seem to be relics...easier to hit that some clubs of the day, but doubt many are playing them.
[/quote]

I believe the first set of specs is accurate for the original Eye 2.

Eye 2+ have stronger lofts.

I have seen a few sets of + with ZZ-Lite on Ebay. IMO the ZZ-Lite is the only way to go in these heads.

• 2 weeks later...

What an awesome thread!

I've been shopping for a good set of black dot Eye 2's for a while. A couple of the local shops have some red and orange dot sets, but I've not seen any blacks yet.

I emailed Ping a week or two ago and they said they will bend a set to conform to black dots, but you must sign a waiver that states you will hold Ping harmless for any damage. I don't think damage is too likely unless you were asking them to bend the clubs more than two degrees. I saw some posts in the thread that indicated Ping charges $18.00 per club. I'll have to find the email, but I thought it said $18.00, plus shipping, for the set. I might be wrong. That sounds a bit too inexpensive to me. Anybody know for sure?

Ping S59 irons 5-PW
Ping bronze J-Blade putter
Titleist 910D2 driver,
TM Jetspeed 3W & 5W

TM Rescue Hybrid 23*
Ping Rapture 21* Hybrid
Ping Eye 2+ SW, Hogan Special PW

[quote name='J-Blade' timestamp='1375066843' post='7558614']
What an awesome thread!

I've been shopping for a good set of black dot Eye 2's for a while. A couple of the local shops have some red and orange dot sets, but I've not seen any blacks yet.

I emailed Ping a week or two ago and they said they will bend a set to conform to black dots, but you must sign a waiver that states you will hold Ping harmless for any damage. I don't think damage is too likely unless you were asking them to bend the clubs more than two degrees. I saw some posts in the thread that indicated Ping charges $18.00 per club. I'll have to find the email, but I thought it said $18.00, plus shipping, for the set. I might be wrong. That sounds a bit too inexpensive to me. Anybody know for sure?
[/quote]

18+ Shipping for the set. They are really quick too! I have had them do 2 sets and they only took about a week including ship time.

Patience, grasshoppers.

Just wait until the fall. Eye 2 fever strikes worst in the heat of the summer, and passes with the heat of the sun.

Mine were bought in September last year, off Craigslist in Minneapolis, 3-W matching serials with an 80's Ping staff bag for $125, delivered. Why pay $144 plus shipping to bend a set that you could buy in your spec (and black dot are the most common) without the hassle.

And SW in the Eye 2+ is 53* - a great add to a set of original Eye 2s so you don't get the 7* gap.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I have a set of EYE 2 irons in storage up north that I am getting sent to me next week. I am anxious to get back into hitting them as I haven't had them for many years now. I don't know if they are the original EYE 2 or the newer EYE 2+. I would prefer the + version. They are black dot and in great shape with original shafts, but the 8 iron is missing so if I like them and decide to keep them, I'll have to pick up one of those.

I can say that the BeCu Ping Irons have been one of my very favorites ever since I seen them in a pro shop at one of the courses I used to play all the time. I lusted after them then and whenever I see them now, I continue my love affair with them. Someday......

I have also wanted to try the ZING 2 and the ISI-K to see which one works best for me. I'll be playing one of the Classic PING iron sets in the near future. I just don't know which one yet. When I figure it out, I'll probably try and deal with you guys here on a trad or something. I like the members here, they have helped me out many times that I have asked.

Nalajr

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1375135159' post='7563780']
Patience, grasshoppers.

Just wait until the fall. Eye 2 fever strikes worst in the heat of the summer, and passes with the heat of the sun.

Mine were bought in September last year, off Craigslist in Minneapolis, 3-W matching serials with an 80's Ping staff bag for $125, delivered. Why pay $144 plus shipping to bend a set that you could buy in your spec (and black dot are the most common) without the hassle.

And SW in the Eye 2+ is 53* - a great add to a set of original Eye 2s so you don't get the 7* gap.
[/quote]

That's what I'm thinking too.. I'm in no rush. By the time I buy a red or orange dot set locally, pay tax, the bending fee and return postage, I'm probably pretty close to what I'd pay for a black dot set.

I have owned the SW for a long time. I originally bought it new for my dad and inherited it when he passed in 1997. Even without the emotional connection, I'd never give it up. Love that club, as I do my original J-Blade that was also his. They're both still in my bag and will stay there.

Ping S59 irons 5-PW
Titleist 910D2 driver,
TM Jetspeed 3W & 5W

TM Rescue Hybrid 23*
Ping Rapture 21* Hybrid

• 2 months later...

I bought a set of used 4-sw Eye2+'s in great shape last fall. Got lucky and found a set of regular flex shafts that someone had removed from a set of g5's. The original shafts were too stiff for me. I am in my 50's and prefer regular flex in my irons.

Have hit them at the range a few times but finally got around to playing a full round with them. I did not have much time so went to the nearby 9 hole par 35 course. Shortish par 4's so you get a lot of chances to hit 7,8,9 irons at the greens.

Lofts are different than my g15's so I would hit a 7 iron from where I would normally hit 8 iron etc.

They performed great. The ball got up in the air really quickly but did not balloon or fall short. Only missed three greens in 18 holes and two of those were on a long par 3 where I was hitting 5 wood. The one par 4 green I missed was with an 8 iron that I hit thin and came up two yards short.

Long story short: they are still great clubs that I could play all the time if I chose.

I also used a r7 driver that a friend gave me. It is also a pretty good club. I seemed to get a bit more roll with it. Probably a spin thing.

Driver: Titleist  Tsi2
FW's: Callaway Rogue 4w
Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 5-UW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
Handicap 9
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1375135159' post='7563780']
Patience, grasshoppers.

[/quote]

I have done the Eye 2+ SW as a GW for the original set as well. I highly recommend this setup. Economical, functional, and classic.

And you get to laugh at your buddies who think they hit a 7iron so much farther than you!

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Recently, I took my Eye2+ out for a round the other day, as I've done from time to time throughout the year. I was to be playing in windy conditions, thought it would be a good idea to play the clubs with which I got better wind performance (I get more spin from my blades and hit a high ball).

I had a brutal front nine with them. Couldn't hit them worth a damn. Got to the point I switched them out at the turn (it was a practice round, wasn't going to be posted anyway) for the Mizuno MS-11s I happened to have in my trunk. The same Mizunos I quit playing because I'd been hitting them not so well.

And, ironically, I played considerably better on the back nine, even making a birdie into the wind with the clubs that made me look for lower spin irons. LOL

I found that all very interesting...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='cweee' timestamp='1381628105' post='7993325']
I played with Ping Eye 2, red dots for 10 years. They were handed down from my father. Learned the game with them. Last season, I finally upgraded to i20's. Liking the new clubs but now I want the s55's!!!

Not looking to sell, but what do a set of Ping Eye 2's go for these days?!?
[/quote]

They seem to average around $125-$150 for a 3-PW set on eBay. Copper sets go much higher..

Ping S59 irons 5-PW
Titleist 910D2 driver,
TM Jetspeed 3W & 5W

TM Rescue Hybrid 23*
Ping Rapture 21* Hybrid