2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Does anyone still game Ping Eye 2's?

Hit em good

I have a set of these in the 1-LW that are still mint, they are the BeCu version with the square grooves in BlueDot(1* UP), they have some really really RARE shafts in them, Novus II Boron in Stiff flex that have a Wood Finish, They look like hickory shafts. and they quite often fool people, I always hear people when im on the tee box snickering, untily they see me hit the ball.The 1 iron is surprisingly easy to hit but I can only hit this almost unplayable stinger that rolls more than it carries. People always look shocked when they see them, A guy i play with who is a purist almost Fainted when he first seen them and offered me double what i payed, and others guys look and say "they are older than you are, you should invest in new clubs and get some extra distance and blah blah blah, then i shot 75 and they shoot 90 :dntknw: . I still dont think there is a better set of clubs. Heres a couple of pics of them
[attachment=1480453:$(KGrHqRHJDYFCDTOHUknBQs-rc5l5w~~60_57.jpg][attachment=1480455:$(KGrHqFHJCsFCfvnje2yBQs-rlgf)!~~60_57.jpg][attachment=1480457:100_2892.JPG][attachment=1480459:100_2890.JPG]

Tour Issue Mavrik Triple Diamond w/Attas 4u 6X 45" or Tour Issue Epic Flash Triple Diamond
Tour Issue Epic Flash 16.8* w/AttasT2 7S
Tour Issue Titleist 917F2 7wood Rogue 80S
Tour Issue Nike VR Pro 24 DI-95S
Ping G410 6-PW Steelfiber 95S
Ping Eye 2 48.5*, 53*, 58*, 61* 

[quote name='Deaus*7*' timestamp='1357457319' post='6176897']
I have a set of these in the 1-LW that are still mint, they are the BeCu version with the square grooves in BlueDot(1* UP), they have some really really RARE shafts in them, Novus II Boron in Stiff flex that have a Wood Finish, They look like hickory shafts. and they quite often fool people, I always hear people when im on the tee box snickering, untily they see me hit the ball.The 1 iron is surprisingly easy to hit but I can only hit this almost unplayable stinger that rolls more than it carries. People always look shocked when they see them, A guy i play with who is a purist almost Fainted when he first seen them and offered me double what i payed, and others guys look and say "they are older than you are, you should invest in new clubs and get some extra distance and blah blah blah, then i shot 75 and they shoot 90 :dntknw: . I still dont think there is a better set of clubs. Heres a couple of pics of them
[attachment=1480453:$(KGrHqRHJDYFCDTOHUknBQs-rc5l5w~~60_57.jpg][attachment=1480455:$(KGrHqFHJCsFCfvnje2yBQs-rlgf)!~~60_57.jpg][attachment=1480457:100_2892.JPG][attachment=1480459:100_2890.JPG]
[/quote]Nice, love the Pings.

Only got into golf the last 2 years and was using some clubs i found on a rubbish heap. I was lucky enough to buy some Ping eye 2 +'s on ebay this week here in Australia. The are white dots except for the 2 iron and Ping here will extend the shat by 1/2", regrip, and bens ny 2 degrees. Very excited to have clubs that 23 years old. Loving all the banter about these irons and the history, keep it up!!

There are several differences between the Eye2 and the Eye2+'s I know that even though I love my G15's,I'll never sell my old Eye2+'s

Eye 2 is weaker loft throughout set, especially in wedges and short irons (PW-50.5 SW-57.5 LW-61) than Eye 2+ (PW-48.5 SW-53 LW-58).
Eye 2 has a squarer toe. Eye2+ is slightly rounded toe.
Eye2+ has a scalloped sole, especially in short irons and wedges that helped off tighter lies. Made them play with less effective bounce.
Eye 2 will most likely have a ZZ Lite shaft. Eye 2+ could have the KT, KT-M, or ZZ Lite.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Great thread! Switzerland was a bore with regard to golf in the late 80s. The first club which was approved to be built after more than 20 years was marred by multiple land use related litigation. I joined as a junior member at the time and left the country prior to the opening. I recieved a renewed request for member dues at the official opening, as the club nearly folded because of the lenghty trouble it had faced and building costs that had exploded, months after I had left but declined.

I still have my first set, which I have not been able to use and it turns out to be[list]
[*]"New EYE2" models with reshaped soles, increased perimeter weighting, less bounce in wedges, and stronger lofts than the original EYE2 were first introduced in November of 1989. Identified by [b]U.S. Pat. 4.512.577[/b] and[b]4.621.813[/b] in cavity, club heads produced [i]before[/i] March 31, 1990 had no "+" in the cavity.
[/list]
Finally picked up the game late in the season 2011 and recently been using my first set of Pings for practicing in my warehouse again as I currently have my clubs in storage in Englewood FL and Shanghai.

I have to say that it feels great to have my first set of clubs after 24yrs and they feel pretty for practicing. 4-SW.

It's funny the hold these old clubs have on people. I thought I had finally put together a set of irons I was going to keep in the bag and play for a while (Mizuno MP 60-67 combos with Project X 6.0), but I just decided I had to have another set. I found a really good condition of BeCu Red Dots on the bay with new grips ready to go. Stuck them in the bag, went out and actually hit better iron shots than I have for quite some time. I took a look at the shafts and noticed they are the ZZ Lites in regular flex, and they just felt teriffic. Now I'm just confused, I don't know what shafts I need and what irons to play :crazy: .. Plus I like to match my irons and wedges brandwise, but I've just never liked the Eye 2 wedges which I know is weird because they are pretty much universaly loved. And I promised myself I wasn't buying anymore golf equipment for a while, guess that's out the door.

edit: just talked with the guy who does my club (retired tour player), he told me the ZZ Lite is basically a uniflex and the "R" I saw on the shaft was actually part of the logo or trademark, not a flex indicator. That helps the confustion a bit.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1358352156' post='6239359']
It's funny the hold these old clubs have on people. I thought I had finally put together a set of irons I was going to keep in the bag and play for a while (Mizuno MP 60-67 combos with Project X 6.0), but I just decided I had to have another set. I found a really good condition of BeCu Red Dots on the bay with new grips ready to go. Stuck them in the bag, went out and actually hit better iron shots than I have for quite some time. I took a look at the shafts and noticed they are the ZZ Lites in regular flex, and they just felt teriffic. Now I'm just confused, I don't know what shafts I need and what irons to play :crazy: .. Plus I like to match my irons and wedges brandwise, but I've just never liked the Eye 2 wedges which I know is weird because they are pretty much universaly loved. And I promised myself I wasn't buying anymore golf equipment for a while, guess that's out the door.

edit: just talked with the guy who does my club (retired tour player), he told me the ZZ Lite is basically a uniflex and the "R" I saw on the shaft was actually part of the logo or trademark, not a flex indicator. That helps the confustion a bit.
[/quote]

The ZZlite is almost an X flex.

Cobra Bio Cell 11*
F6 Baffler 17.5
Hibore Hybrid 22*
850 Forged 5-GW
MP-T10 54, EYE 2 61
Odyssey 7

I just joined the Eye2 brigade

My badboys are a 1987 edition black dot. Just confirmed the serial numbers with Ping today!

Can't wait to play these!

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

i've never been more psyched about anything equipment related then being part of the Eye2 club!

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='wolfpack' timestamp='1358371589' post='6241321']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Really. That is cool to know, I guess they are probably similar to the Project X's then, must have been the new club effect! My guy said to bring them in and he would show me the flex.

Thanks for the info Wolfpack, I think I learn something new every day here.

[quote name='wolfpack' timestamp='1358387489' post='6242791']
[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1358382857' post='6242315']
i've never been more psyched about anything equipment related then being part of the Eye2 club!
[/quote]

Pics?
[/quote]

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Is that a + sw or an XG?

The Eye2+ wedges have their loft designators on the toe like that SW.

eye2.png

eye2sole-1.png

eye2sole1.png

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='btw1983' timestamp='1358490006' post='6250883']
I have a 1-L set with ZZ Lites that I've been considering sending to Ping for the retumble or guyson finish. Does anyone know if they will replace the aging shaft bands during the process?
[/quote]

Yes, they will replace these, probably for free. Just make sure you ask them to.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1358507504' post='6251317']
[attachment=1494199:$T2eC16NHJH8E9qSEU5yBBQ4zbdurf!~~60_57.JPG]

What do y'all think about these beauties? Orange dot is a flat lie, right?
[/quote]

I almost hate to answer cause I know just enough to think I know what I'm talking about, but I usually don't, but I believe orange is 2* flat.

Aha! Found it. You are correct, sir. Two degrees flat was the old deal.

You can find it here if you use search. Nevertheless, I've added the graphic I found on Google.

OldPingColorCode.jpg

Enjoy.

Perfect for me as I generally have all my wedges bent two degrees flat. Of course "back in the day" I doubt the stock black-dot lie for a lob wedge was 64.5 degrees like it is now. It ridiculous how upright even Ping have taken short irons and wedges nowadays.

[EDIT] I did some Google searching and apparently they were 64.5 degrees lie angle (for black dot) even 20-30 years ago. Guess Ping were ahead of the curve on that. That orange-dot S and L pair seem to be "Radius U-Grooves" made between 1985 and 1990. If so they had 57.5 degrees on the "S" (now that's what I'd call a real sand wedge!) and 61 degrees on the "L". Orange dot ought to be about 62.5 degrees lie which is just how I like 'em.

We'll see how those wedges work for me. They were literally made several years before I ever set foot on a golf course. I recall when I started playing in the early 90's lots and lots of people had Eye2 wedges and quite a full had the full iron sets.

[quote name='wolfpack' timestamp='1358371589' post='6241321']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I wouldn't go that far. It's a stiff shaft, and maybe a hair stiffer than some Stiffs, but it's definitely not an X.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='cobrastang' timestamp='1358517899' post='6252063']
I attempted to play them some last year, but I couldn't stand hitting them two clubs shorter than my r11's
[/quote]

And this is why we have 23° 5 irons. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors