Best Golf Experience and what made it so

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played a junior tournament once where they gave us ball pyramids of NXT tours at the range. Private course in Maine called The Woodlands, beautiful place

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

Scotland. All the courses we played were memorable. But I'd rank The Old Course as one of the worst, I think you'd have to play that course a bunch of times before you could appreciate it. The people were very nice, I just didn't like the course. Kingsbarns was probably the best we played in Scotland.

Recently played Robert Trent Jones Golf Club in VA, great course in great condition. The whole facility is magnificent and the service could not have been better.

Pebble Beach is certainly memorable.

Castle Pines in CO is a great course with great service. Shoal Creek in AL was also great.

Our home club has two really nice courses, excellent facilities, and very good service.

Played Thai Country Club in Bangkok a few years ago.........truly fabulous experience. Greeted at the bag drop by beautiful Thai hostess who gives you a tour of the club house and all it's facilities. The course is like a giant driving range mat.....perfect from start to finish....the sand and seed the caddies use is even dyed green to match the fairway grass........at the end of the round the same hostess greets you coming off 18 and has a complimentary cold drink for each player and shows you to a cool down area before hitting the showers. The course is owned/operated by the Peninsula Hotel in Bangkok....the food and service at the course is just what you would expect from one of the top 5 rated hotels in the world..........in a word....AWESOME!!!!

Yonex Tri-G 10* driver
Yonex Ezone GT 15*  3  wood
Yonex Ezone GT 18*  5 wood
Yonex Ezone GT irons 4-AW
Miura Tour Black 54* SW
Miura Tour Black 60* LW
Miura KM007 Putter

Old Course with my dad. Getting a picture of dad and I on the Swilcan bridge... nothing better. Watching my dad tee off the on the Road Hole with the hotel in front of him. On #1 he bounced his approach over the Swilcan Burn, and we were all nervous when he hit it. When he walked up after we all had hit he turned to us and said, "No wonder you were all looking at me so nervously." He had no idea it was there, had never seen the first hole on TV. BTW he parred the hole.

Royal Troon. Walked up to the clubhouse in shorts. A caddie out front says, "Where are you going? You can't play in shorts here." So it is hot, so I run back to the hotel and put on some seersucker pants. I come running back to the clubhouse and I see the same caddie standing out front. He looks at me and says, "If I knew you were going to do that, I would have let you wear the shorts!" We teed off about 30 minutes later, and sure enough this caddie comes around the corner to find his bag and sees me, and exclaims, "I got my guy." I had a great time with him, very knowledgeable, fun, and really made the day great. My father also had a caddie with whom he completely clicked. Great photo of us on the tee box of the Postage Stamp. I will never forget that day.

My best overall experience was at Kiawah. In the last four years, I've played St. Andrews, Pebble, Medinah, Torrey South, Barton Creek, and Kiawah. It sounds funny to pick Kiawah as the best. The service was out of this world. The pro shop staff were very nice. Told me to walk around and see the clubhouse. I walk outside and meet the caddiemaster. He introduces me to my caddie. My caddie, John, acts like a tour caddie - watches me hit balls on the range, grabs new range balls, cleans clubs, notices my yardages, and bs'es a bit. And this is just on the range. He was rock solid all through the round. Just wish he could've hit a few shots for me. The cart girls drove around often. Coolers full of bottled water on every third tee. The rangers were super friendly. And the Ocean Room Bar & Grill is spectacular. Best shrimp I've had in my life!

This may be random but a day at Pronghorn Fazio Course. It's a members only course and my club got me on. Only charged $150 vs. $325 for the public side that day.

Bag drop guy was awesome and not only was he the bag drop but also served as a valet. Everyone knew your name and was treated very warmly. Walked up to the range and was created by a stack of Pro-V1 range balls. Went over to the putting green and same thing. Something like a 2000 sq ft putting green. Then over to the chipping green with 3 bunkers and 2 mid range bunkers (25 - 50 yards).

Teed off with no one around for 2 or 3 holes. On Hole 4, I (a single) waited on the tee box as I caught a 4 some of members who proceeded to wave me threw immediately. Couldn't have been a nicer group. Proceeded to just be greeted by the nicest people all day.

Ended up breaking 80 for the first time and birdied 18 by myself with about 20 people on the deck watching.

2006 carnoustie, end of may, teed off at 530pm and was pampered. Also on that trip stayed at the old course hotel, on the third floor in the corner suite with the balcony overlooking the 17th tee on the old course. Players were coming through and teeing off at 1145pm as there was still plenty of light that time of year.

1999 pebble beach in September. Tremendous thunderstorms one afternoon, cleared enough to play spyglass that late afternoon with a cool cat from Chicago and it was a cathedral like experience. That night, thunderstorms returned, and from a table at the Stillwater grill, personally witnessed the lightning strike that took out the tree by the 18th green.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1351311598' post='5853261']
Earlier this season I was paired with an attractive younger lady. I was playing particularly well that day. Every time I hit a good shot she would say, "That was hot!"

Made me focus more on each shot...
[/quote]

This is a lie. There is no way I would gain concentration in this scenario. You've got some cajones on you sir.

Hopefully a whole new setup coming soon!

Ping Anser 2 putter

[quote name='ihatecats18' timestamp='1351354130' post='5854491']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1351311598' post='5853261']
Earlier this season I was paired with an attractive younger lady. I was playing particularly well that day. Every time I hit a good shot she would say, "That was hot!"

Made me focus more on each shot...
[/quote]

This is a lie. There is no way I would gain concentration in this scenario. You've got some cajones on you sir.
[/quote]
Not really...I'm just getting older. But thank you.

hands down Pebble beach for me. was there on my Honeymoon. every staff member knew us and referred to us as the honeymoon couple ( never asked how they knew it they just did ) the manager upgraded our room with no extra charge , we were right off of #18 . we sat on the balcony off our room and watched people finishing up. I swear every time we were at the lodge the manger found a reason to run into us and ask if anything could be better for us . my wife wrote a nice letter to Pebble Beach on our behalf mentioning how much the manager and the staff took care of us. my wife and I took our lawn chair down by the bay and watched the moon come over the horizon that night. the moon looked like it was on fire. watching that and listening to the waves slowing crashing in was amazing. the day we played was sunny and not a lick of wind, locals said that is highly unusual.

Tough choice but here we go:

3 comp'd days at Pebble and Spyglass with caddies. Hard to beat

6 days at Bandon. 2 with best friends and 4 with great customer. All comp'd. Awesome time

2 days at Whistling Straights, 1 day at Erin Hillls with customers, all comp'd.

Next trip Sctland or Ireland. Not comp'd :)

For me it's every time I play Merion. Merion is just one of those special places that I never get tired of. I am friendly with most of the staff and the members are great too. It has that old-time appeal to it. Wicker basket pins, metal lockers, dimly lit proshop, classic design, etc. Just knowing you play the same place as Hogan and Arnie and Jack played is awesome. A beer in a frosted mug on the patio is one of the best culinary experiences in golf, perhaps only surpassed by the lobster lunch at the National. And for all the old-world appeal of Merion, they have one if the greatest range/fitting setups in golf. And lately, to top all of that off, I've been able to meet Simpson, McDowell and CHIII at the club practicing fit the Open.

Ping G430 LST 10.5°, Fujikura Ventus Red TR 6X
TaylorMade Stealth Rescue 22° Fujikura Ventus 8X
Miura KM-700, 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 Wedgeworks: 52-12F, 56-10S, 60-04T DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx 
Vokey Limited Edition: 64-04W, DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx
LAB Mezz.1 Arm Lock LAGP White Shaft

I was blessed to get to play The Crosby in Ranco Santa Fe by simply asking for some advice on a trip my wife and I were taking to San Diego and I linked up with the nicest guy who offered great advice. He ended up being the head greenskeeper at The Crosby and invited me out for free. It was the most beautiful, well maintained course I'd ever seen. My wife, who is a non-golfer, even had to marvel at the pristine maintenance and beauty of the course. I lost contact with the guy that hooked me up before I could send him a thank you card but I will never forget that experience.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

• 4 months later...

Had the opportunity to play East Lake in Atlanta, Awesome, I "aced" number 2, Few years later played a course outside of Atlanta in the middle of nowhere called Hawks Ridge, my caddie said a few weeks earlier he caddied a foursome that included Tiger, MJ, John Smoltz and the owner of the club, MJ pressed the owner on 18 for 30k, Caddy said owner looks at MJ says you got 30k ,Jordan looks at him say's I got that in my golf bag, great story. Two weeks ago played two courses on Kiawah, The Ocean Course and Cassique, both bucket list courses. But I have to say East Lake because of the" hole in one" and it is a awesome experience as they all were for me. Bandon Dunes next and then Southern Ireland.We shall see if any of these top those three.

DM

Having my Dad caddie for me at South Bluff Country Club, in Peru, IL, which sounds nice but was really a cow pasture. Played OK that day and he complimented me after the round and I've never forgotten it. He was also my baseball coach and in years of playing and throwing a few no hitters I had never heard anything positive.

Me, a great caddie, all alone Walking the Ocean course at Kiawah. Played it in 2:45, it was the most relaxed and enjoyable round of golf I've ever played in my life time.

Titleist 915D3 / GD Tour AD DI7s
TM RBZ 15* Diamana BB
Titleist 910H 19* 21* Diamana Kai'li
Titleist 714 AP2 4 - PW
Cameron Studio Stainless NP2
Vokey SM 52* 58*

I enjoyed my time at TPC Sawgrass. Played Stadium course twice and Valley once. Staff were extremely helpful and courteous. I rank it as one of the best experiences.

After our round, they kept our bags for the next day's round. We went to get a drink when I realize this. I ask the manager on duty if I could go back to my bag to get something and he leads me down there through the back of the facility. After I retrieve my watch he gives me and a friend a personal tour of the clubhouse, including the champions locker room and their private room and bar. That was a great trip. And I am happy to say no balls in the water on 17. 16, a different story.

After 30 years of playing golf all over the world. Let me offer three great memories:

1. An ace on the Gary Player Million Dollar course at Sun City in South Africa
2. Playing with my son in a pro-am in South Africa, and with our pro and another golfer, clearing out all the prizes!
3. Last year playing Wentworth's East Course off the competition tees

I'm hoping to add two more great memories in April when I visit Myrtle Beach and I am booked to Play Kiawah Ocean and Pinehurst No.2. Just so excited. Two more iconic courses crossed off the Bucket List.

Pine Valley with brother and father in-law, although played the single worst round of my career. Stayed on site in the dorm-style rooms, stayed up late reading books in the library (many were signed by the author).

Pebble, same group (I married well) and Casey Boyns (5 time Cal state amateur champ) was on my bag. Shot 81 from the tips but played better than the score.

Many others come in a close second.

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° AMT Black S300 | SM9 56° 60° S300 | Toulon Garage Memphis