Which smartphone golf app do you use?

I wanted to share that "freecaddie pro" for android has been great. If it's just yardages you're after, the free version is perfect. But for a 10$ purchase you can add hazard yds, maps and views of holes and greens, scorecards, measure your last shot, edit courses etc. It also keeps stats. All of this you can upload to the website for record and review. All courses are free and download in seconds.

It works for me, but it would be nice if it tracked handicap. It does not.

Anyone else use this or have something better?

What phone app do you use?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The course I play has recently added a free app that has GPS, interactive scoring, live tournament scoring and leaderboard, tee times, and grill menu. I like most of the features but think the live tournament scoring is a bad idea. It can only add to the cheating in scrambles. The GPS is really accurate. I am not sure if other courses are offering an app or not.

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

I've been using Swing gps app. The free version has an interactive map with yardage to center of green. It also allows you to select a spot on the map and it will give you the yardage from where you are and the remaining yardage to center of green.

Free version will also track stats on # of putts, par 3's, and handicap.

Skydroid for me, cost $1.99 and I have found it provides all the info I need to get around the course. Didn't realise they've got a new version out.
I will say, on occasion I've had a dodgy signal and it hasn't worked great, but that's the phone/course location, not the app.
All in all, very happy with it.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I use AirVue Golf. Shows overheads with ability to touch and slide your position on fairway and see distance to pin, hazards, etc. Tracks stats and has a club caddy feature to suggest clubs (I haven't used that feature so don't know much about it). I think it was $10, but can't remember for sure. One time cost. I live in Oregon and just used it in Arizona; it worked great.

I have mobitee installed on my phone.

http://www.mobitee.com/

I got it as a free app one day. Although I don't use it on the course (I prefer my laser), I do like the ability to "fly over" just about any course you can think of, no matter where you are at the time. (think airport gate)

The reviews are great. Since I got it, they have updated several times. Now, in addition to a GPS, it uses the phones camera as a rangefinder as well.

It also features shot tracking, club advice (based on your numbers), scoring, handicaps, and lots of other things I will never use!

I just looked and in addition to USA course broken down by state, it also has many, many other countries to choose courses from... I have access to about 100 courses in Vietnam! (yay?)

Now I gotta go play with this app...It looks pretty cool!

5af431f0_mobitee5.png

X________________________________ Sign Here

• 4 weeks later...

I use GolfShot as well. I haven't been able to try it out since they finally updated the Android version in December (stupid SNOW!).

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Triple Diamond Driver 9*
Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Triple Diamond 3W 15*

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke 3 Hybrid 18*

Srixon U85 4 iron

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Z
Callaway Chrome Tour Triple Track
Garmin Approach Z30 Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

When I forget my motoactv, I have skydroid installed. Skydroid is the company that's written the golf software for moto that is used on the actv, so the two are very consistent when I bounce back and forth.

M5 w/Rogue
Cobra F6 3/4 wood w/Kuro Kage
RSI 2 driving iron w/recoil
PSI Tour 4-pw w/S300
MD3 50/54/58
Lajosi DD201 w/full face Damascus insert

I've been using Golf Frontier. Nothing crazy or fancy, but I got it for free and it gets the job done. Has pretty much all the features of SkyDroid as far as I know. I would imagine the yardages will only be as accurate as your phone GPS antenna allows it to be, not necessarily the software (although software can influence things like power consumption).

Thinking about getting skydroid as I cant justify $30 for a golf app when my free one does just about everything.

Can someone tell me whether skydroid give %'s for GIR or putts per round etc for more than one round.

My free one does it for individual rounds but you cant put it together to get %'s over a period of time

Im actaully not too worried about GPS. Im familiar with my course......

Also is it a one off fee or is it a yearly thing like some other apps.

At the moment I am using scorecardGPS which is great for a free app..

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I use Golf Frontier. Got it for $3.00. Has free course downloads, keeps my stats both on my phone and on their website. Has overhead views (real satellite photos, not drawings) and tracks club use and distances. I really like it. Plus, I can play 18 holes with it and only use about 1/3 of my phone's battery life.

[quote name='Fore(ged)' timestamp='1361847277' post='6503423']
I must be one of the few GolfLogix users on here. I guess I'm just sticking with what works.
[/quote]

I just installed that on my phone today. Not sure how soon the weather will let me try it out... what do you like about it, and what do you wish it would do/do better?

If you set Golf Logix down for more than a few minutes, you have to reopen it and click "continue" to get back into your round. There is probably a way to keep the app from doing this, but I don't know how to do it. I don't like is that you have to pay $20 each year to get the Gold features. With Golf Shot, you only have to pay a one time fee. GolfLogix's Gold feature includes being able to move the pin around to give you more accurate yardages. I like how GolfLogix will tell you the yardage to the front, middle, and back edge of the green. It seems accurate and pretty user friendly. The one thing that would make it absolutely perfect would be for green terrains and depths to be uploaded for as many courses as possible.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I use GolfLogix on a regular basis. Yes, I pay annually but I'm getting a lot more than a GPS with the Golf Digest content and the Golfsmith deals they offer.

I like the fact that they have 3 choices for GPS yardages for most courses.
1) Satellite view, difficult to see with bright sun which most if not all the apps out there rely on
2) Artist view which is the digital form of satellite and much easier to see
3) Basic mode which is hazards and greens in text icons.

My uncle lives in The Villages in Florida and they have a couple of new 27 hole courses that opened in the last year or so. I've not seen any app that has them other than GolfLogix. It surprised me that he was told GolfLogix had someone mapping the courses with hand held GPS units and not just using satellite pictures. That's one disadvantage of any app that relies on satellite images to map courses that can be years old. Over all, I'm happy with the product and if you do have a problem you can call and talk to somoene rather than just using e-mail which I have only done once.

[quote name='woodsst' timestamp='1361759728' post='6495913']
I use Golf Frontier. Got it for $3.00. Has free course downloads, keeps my stats both on my phone and on their website. Has overhead views (real satellite photos, not drawings) and tracks club use and distances. I really like it. Plus, I can play 18 holes with it and only use about 1/3 of my phone's battery life.
[/quote]

Don't you find satellite pictures difficult to see? My understanding is that the drawings are based on vector tracing similar to Garmin and Skycaddie so the drawings should be pretty accurate and on the courses I play they are. In the case of GolfLogix you can choose either option. Golf Frontier uses Google Earth pictures which may explain why they only have about 50-60% of the courses other apps have. At least that's my guess because their screens says "powered by Google". But for $3 and your own course is covered by Google you can't complain.

Airvue golf... Great app for the iPhone I've been using for years. I bought it for .99 and have paid nothing else.

Driver: Epic SZ 10.5 665 Speeder

3 Wood: Epic Flash 
Hybrids: Epic 3 wood and 3, 4, 5 hybrids
Irons: Yamaha Inpres X V Forged Recoil 80 
Wedges: Vokey SM7 50, PM Grind 54/11 and 58/10
Putter: Cameron 2016 Golo 3

[quote name='Mystic Elder' timestamp='1361871536' post='6504745']
[quote name='woodsst' timestamp='1361759728' post='6495913']
[/quote]

Don't you find satellite pictures difficult to see? My understanding is that the drawings are based on vector tracing similar to Garmin and Skycaddie so the drawings should be pretty accurate and on the courses I play they are. In the case of GolfLogix you can choose either option. Golf Frontier uses Google Earth pictures which may explain why they only have about 50-60% of the courses other apps have. At least that's my guess because their screens says "powered by Google". But for $3 and your own course is covered by Google you can't complain.
[/quote]

So far, I haven't had trouble with the satellite photos. The photos are usually clear enough that I can pick out the major landmarks on each hole. I originally tried Golf Frontier because it was so cheap and I wanted to see how I liked using an app like this one versus using my old Bushnell Neo. I have stuck with it because it has superior functions when compared to the Neo (easier to get distances to landmarks, keeps scores and stats, just as accurate with yardages) and doesn't require a yearly fee. I think my favorite feature, though, is how easy it is on my phone battery.

I haven't really explored many other apps. In fact, I've only just browsed at some on Google Play, so I'm sure there are some just as good or better than Golf Frontier. It does everything I want it to do. Depending on what you like/want the most, it may or may not suit your needs as well. There are certainly some apps that do more.