Newtown CT shooting

ProBowler

[quote name='sblack5' timestamp='1355520210' post='6069663']
I have a son in school that turns 5 soon. We are nowhere near conneticut. I teed off at 9:55 am this morning....I found out on the 4th hole....i left.....couldn't focus anymore......hit my dad button. After i picked him up this afternoon and got him home i lost it and wouldn't let him go. daddy doesnt cry. Only time he has seen it. .....ever. If you have kids then you know what im saying......all i could tell him was that i was crying because of how special he was and how happy i was that i get to play with him everyday. Hug your kids folks......nightmares like this are what really put into perspective how wonderful they are.
[/quote]

I feel the same way. Can't wait to pick up my daughter today.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='boriqua'72' timestamp='1355518540' post='6069507']
[quote name='poppyhillsguy' timestamp='1355516856' post='6069367']
[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1355516751' post='6069359']
I don't get how you can target children.
[/quote]

Sane people don't, but an insane person...
[/quote]

Thing is sane people everywhere are prone to becoming insane at any given moment without warning.
[/quote]

That's actually not true. There's been a lot of studies that show that people who "snap" don't actually do such a thing. It's always a process that takes time, and certain types of people are more pre-disposed to behaving irrationally.

If you have access to any medical databases or university systems, you can look up all of the studies on the topic. Or, you can check them out in the medical journals in the libraries.

It's true that sometimes the process happens faster, but there really aren't cases of people who don't have any of the predispositions who just "snap" like people think.

Just like science...there's cause and effect.

And back on topic...it's so sad. In case some of you missed it also, there was a childrens school in China that was attacked by a man with a knife today too. 22 injured I believe, but none killed, thankfully.

I have a son in school that turns 5 soon. We are nowhere near conneticut. I teed off at 9:55 am this morning....I found out on the 4th hole....i left.....couldn't focus anymore......hit my dad button. After i picked him up this afternoon and got him home i lost it and wouldn't let him go. daddy doesnt cry. Only time he has seen it. .....ever. If you have kids then you know what im saying......all i could tell him was that i was crying because of how special he was and how happy i was that i get to play with him everyday. Hug your kids folks......nightmares like this are what really put into perspective how wonderful they are.
[/quote]

Amen. I wonder how many of these parents chirped at their kids this morning, trying to wake them up and get them out the door, maybe didn't say I love you, or otherwise expressed frustration at their kids the last time they saw them. I've been there. And now, they have to live with that forever. Makes you step back and think that we need to appreciate the time we have.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

[quote name='poppyhillsguy' timestamp='1355516789' post='6069363']
Shooters brother found dead in New Jersey. Shooter went to his mom's classroom, she was a teacher, killed her and then opened fire on the Kindergartners in the room.
[/quote]

Just imagining the terror those kids went through is heartbreaking. To think what the parents of the ones taken is hard to fathom. Praying for all involved. Sad, sad day!

[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1355520761' post='6069713']
[quote name='Onyx Z' timestamp='1355518455' post='6069497']
Outlawing guns is the answer huh? Criminals don't follow the laws which would leave law abiding citizens defenseless.

This country does not have a gun problem. It has a societal problem.

I believe the problem lies in video games, TV, social media... and starts at a very young age.

IBTL
[/quote]

I agree with this 100% but this is indeed not the time nor place...

Horribly sad what took place. Very disturbed individual it would seem...
[/quote]

I agree this is not the place. My comment had nothing to do with the gun control feud. However, others in this thread did. Just be aware that this can happen anywhere folks.

I cant even look at the picture of golfjunki's daughter without tearing up, I can't imagine how you parents out there feel, let along the parents of the victims. It is just disgusting. How can somone be so sick to do such a thing and people didn't realize the person needed help? His mother was a teacher, you would think she would be able to pick up on a mental sickness and help this person. I just dont understand how this could happen without anyone seeing it coming.

[/quote]

GREAT post. Something I probably wouldn't have been able to fully understand before I became a dad 18 months ago. Definitely changes things.

[quote name='Onyx Z' timestamp='1355521889' post='6069833']
[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1355520761' post='6069713']
[quote name='Onyx Z' timestamp='1355518455' post='6069497']
Outlawing guns is the answer huh? Criminals don't follow the laws which would leave law abiding citizens defenseless.

This country does not have a gun problem. It has a societal problem.

I believe the problem lies in video games, TV, social media... and starts at a very young age.

IBTL
[/quote]

I agree with this 100% but this is indeed not the time nor place...

Horribly sad what took place. Very disturbed individual it would seem...
[/quote]

I agree this is not the place. My comment had nothing to do with the gun control feud. However, others in this thread did. Just be aware that this can happen anywhere folks.
[/quote]

No, I know you know that. My point was to agree with what you said and not have this get too far off track...

[quote name='sblack5' timestamp='1355520210' post='6069663'] I have a son in school that turns 5 soon. We are nowhere near conneticut. I teed off at 9:55 am this morning....I found out on the 4th hole....i left.....couldn't focus anymore......hit my dad button. After i picked him up this afternoon and got him home i lost it and wouldn't let him go. daddy doesnt cry. Only time he has seen it. .....ever. If you have kids then you know what im saying......all i could tell him was that i was crying because of how special he was and how happy i was that i get to play with him everyday. Hug your kids folks......nightmares like this are what really put into perspective how wonderful they are. [/quote]

I completely agree. I really only have two emotions today. I swing back and forth between being incredibly angry and outraged, and wanting to run home from work to hug my son and cry. I was very frustrated with him last night during the nightly fight to brush his teeth... It really puts things into perspective.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

This story crushed me this morning, even though I'm all the way in CA. I have a 2 year old girl and another due in a couple of weeks and I can't imagine what I will be sending my kids to when they are old enough to go school. I think about how scared those children must have been, how terrified and torn those parents are, and how any of them who survived will ever be able to move past this in the future. We get on the internet, onto forums, and argue over such trivial things like swing speed or which OEM makes the best stuff, and we make golf sometimes seem like the most important thing in the world. It's not...not even close. For many of us, we'll go back to our regular routine failry quickly and hardly think about this tragedy, but we should remember that things like this can happen anywhere and are far too much becoming a trend rather than an isolated incident. Anyways, next you have to rush to work, to your tee time, to whatever, stop and give your wife and kids a hug and kiss, and tell them you love them. Don't take those moments for granted.

It's sickening that its being used as a vehicle for any type of political statement regarding gun control, etc, especially with so many uninformed persons out there.

As a parent, I came home from work and hugged my children a little tighter and I hugged my wife and thanked the big man above for allowing that to happen on a tragic and sad day.

Lets not turn this into a political statement. Lets respect the victims, families of the victims, and the children that had any innocence left ripped away from them. This isn't the time, nor the place for anything except that, I don't care what your thoughts on gun control are.

This is awful. As an educator, this is a point of dread and frustration.

When I was still in public schools we did lock-down drills till the cows come home. Knowing, of course, that if someone ever wanted "in" to your classroom, they need only kick out the glass in your door, reach in and unlock...and then what do you do? Play hero, I guess. Schools are telling classrooms to "hide" in one corner not immediately visible from the door, but duh! - the classroom is a box, for pity's sake.

Points about school security - all doors to the outside need to be locked at all times, security cams need to be monitored (a rotating person on morning/afternoon/evening duty could do this), and all classroom doors need to be locked at all times (and they need to be secure - only opening out, and have small reinforced windows). Parents complain about access and about kids being "locked in a prison," and then we have a disaster like this to remind everyone why those security measures are in place. I hate to say it, but maybe we are at a point where background checks on teachers need to extend to immediate family as well. Crazy talk in any other circumstance but this one.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='StevenF' timestamp='1355528589' post='6070245']
I don't want to turn this into a debate about guns. But teachers should be armed. That is all I have to say.
[/quote]

I agree 100%. Look at the post above yours. Teacher instructed to hide in the corner with students. Gun-free zones are an open invitation to criminals.

I don't want to turn this into a debate about guns. But teachers should be armed. That is all I have to say.
[/quote]

No they shouldn't, don't be ridiculous.

Cobra King F6+, Matrix Black Tie 65M4
Callaway X Utility Prototype 21*, Project X PXI 6.0
Adams XTD 3-PW, KBS C Taper 90
Scratch 8620 D/S 50*, 56*, 60*, TrueTemper Dynamic Gold S300
Bettinardi SS15
Srixon Q Star Tour

Just got in about 15 mins. ago, Wife just told me. What a horrible and terrible person, to do something like this. I cannot even allow myself to wonder the terror the victims were and are experiencing. Mentally ill?? I care not...the minute something like this seems like a good idea, I don't want to study you or understand you... one round and a shovel.
-D

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1355516530' post='6069337']
This is crazy. Someone stabbed a bunch of children in China today. WTF is going on?

[url="http://news.ca.msn.com/world/china-stabbing-spree-hurts-22-schoolchildren"]http://news.ca.msn.com/world/china-stabbing-spree-hurts-22-schoolchildren[/url]
[/quote]

22 injured vs 18 dead. I'll take knife rampages every day of the week.

[quote name='MJP22' timestamp='1355516070' post='6069303']
Murders will murder people, if not with guns, some other device.
[/quote]

Yet not as quickly and efficiently as is such available to every man on the street. There's a reason our soldiers aren't equipped with knives and pipe bombs.

Imagine the body counts of our shooting sprees if high-capacity magazine weapons were not so easy to procure (legally, just like at Va Tech, Aurora and Conn.).

What bearing does the ability to rattle off dozens if not hundreds (over 100 in just a few minutes today!) of rounds have for any responsible, sane sport shooter, hunter or person interested in home protection?

These weapons have far surpassed the efficiency needed to do responsible things with them. They only now serve to make it that much more lethal when a deranged sicko decides to go off.

[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1355533461' post='6070595']
For those trying to make this a gun control issue, I'd strongly urge you to read this: [url="http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/jlpp/Vol30_No2_KatesMauseronline.pdf"]http://www.law.harva...auseronline.pdf[/url]

Educate yourself on the issue instead of being pushed into it by talking heads.
[/quote]

Ok so how does someone with no gun shoot another person?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/401331_535773186434821_914520917_n.png

[color=#000080][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][b]Driver - Cobra Fly Z
Fairway - TM M2
Hybrid - Nickent 5DX
Irons - TM PSi 5-PW
Chipping things - Callaway MD3 50, 55,60
Putter - Odyssey MXM #7[/b][/size][/font][/color]

[/quote]

Well, the kindergarten teacher at Sandy Hook was armed. She legally owned the very three weapons her own son used to kill her and then 20 children and five more adults. That is all I have to say.

[quote name='H.A. Kerr' timestamp='1355534320' post='6070645']
[quote name='MJP22' timestamp='1355516070' post='6069303']
Murders will murder people, if not with guns, some other device.
[/quote]

Yet not as quickly and efficiently as is such available to every man on the street. There's a reason our soldiers aren't equipped with knives and pipe bombs.

Imagine the body counts of our shooting sprees if high-capacity magazine weapons were not so easy to procure (legally, just like at Va Tech, Aurora and Conn.).

What bearing does the ability to rattle off dozens if not hundreds (over 100 in just a few minutes today!) of rounds have for any responsible, sane sport shooter, hunter or person interested in home protection?

These weapons have far surpassed the efficiency needed to do responsible things with them. They only now serve to make it that much more lethal when a deranged sicko decides to go off.
[/quote]

Considering that the shooter had 4 weapons (even though the original report was 2, a Glock and a Sig Sauer, both pistols) its not hard to rattle off 100 rounds quickly, especially if one has a 30 round clip in his Glock that's easily purchasable.

I'm waiting on someone to explain how those guns jumped out of his hands and shot people on their own. Not to mention how a 20 year old illegally obtained 2 pistols and an assault rifle, all of which one has to be 21 to legally purchase.

Fact is, an insane person obtained guns illegally and created a tragedy. Not one law would have prevented this. He broke a law when he obtained the guns.

If they couldn't wash him off the floor with a garden hose after all was said and done, not enough was done to him in the end. I'm sick and angry and sad all at the same time. But I'm not blaming the guns just like I don't blame forks for making people fat, tobacco for being the #1 non-natural cause of death in the US, and alcohol for DUI deaths. Idiots will exist in all walks of life, and so will law breakers and outlaws. Not one law in the world will do a thing about it. #1 weapon used in violent crimes in the US? Baseball bats. Lets ban them too. And while we're at it, lets ban the other 9 non-natural causes of death's contributors while we're banning the #10 one.

Prayers and Thoughts to Newtown and all the families.

I have my opinions but this is not the time or place for it. It's just purely wrong to shoot children ( or anyone for that matter ).....damn this one really hits home.

[u][b]Bag:[/b][/u]

[i]Taylormade M1 440 9.5* Rogue Silver 125MSI TX[/i]
[i]Taylormade M1 HL Rogue Silver 80X[/i]
[i]Titleist 818 H2 21* Tour Green 85TX[/i]
[i]Titleist 716 TMB 4-W DG TI X100[/i]
[i]Vokey TVD K 54*, 60* DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M 35''[/i]