2013 Complete PGA Tour Equipment Changes - Top page 1 for all changes

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watney always acts a little funny. It's just his style.

M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614089-jaxbeachnole-witb-page-1/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1357241462' post='6161559']
[quote name='Tommy Walter' timestamp='1357183934' post='6157425']
[quote name='hef63303' timestamp='1357096866' post='6151473']
The big question is Do any of these guys make you want to buy the brand of equipment they are using? Would any of you change the clubs in your bag just because one of these guys change?
[/quote]

Absolutely not. I would play any tour pro's bag... [b]Their stuff is not retail stuff,[/b] so the changes that they make are hardly a big deal that everyone makes it out to be. Watney will try driver and shaft combos out until he finds one that gives him the numbers he wants... Same will any pro on tour that switches to a new company...
[/quote]

Well, essentially it is. Sure they make tweaks to the swingweight, maybe hotmelt a little, but it's not like the heads they use on tour are made a different way or of different materials than what you buy in a store.
[/quote]

But they are... TM come out with two or three different versions of the drivers they put out... The r11s I think had a V2 and maybe a V3. Different head shape and CC... That goes back to the days of the Burner 07 TP driver... they had smaller heads that were only released to the pro's. So yes, some pro's play retail heads, but hotmelt them, but some pro's have a different head all together... I can say that with certainty with TM anyway.

Titleist 917 D2 10.5* Tensei Pro White 60TX
Titleist 917 F2 16.5* Tensei Pro Blue 70X
Titleist 816 H1 21* Tensei CK Blue Hybrid 80X
Titleist 716 AP2 3-PW Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120x
Titleist SM6 54* & 60* Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120x
Titleist Scotty Cameron Futura X 34.75"
Pro V1x

[quote name='TheU' timestamp='1357428655' post='6174779']
[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1357348961' post='6170397']
[quote name='Lefty94' timestamp='1357136539' post='6152847']
It boils down to 2 different strategies. Nike, TM and Cobra have to buy consumer confidence. They have great products, but in golf terms are new to the game. In order to win confidence in their products, they have to blanket the tours and the market to the masses. NOw once they get into peoples hands, they have to perform, which for the most part their products do. It's just the vehicle in which they need to get products into peoples hands. Hence the white drivers, big marketing campaigns, and catchy slogans by TM, and why NIKE is putting the NIKE machine behind their clubs and apparel. Or in Cobras case flashy colors and big name young stars like Rickie and Lexi.

Titliest and PING could absolutely care less about marketing to the masses. They have a much more loyal following. If your a PING guy or a Titleist guy, you generally are for life. Among many they are still considered to be the top brands. Just look a lot of amateur bags, especially amongst the elite, you will still see a ton of Titliest/PING gear. They just continue to crank out high quality products and rely on their brand loyalty, which is very high.

Callaway is IMO is a little different. I think there was a time that you could have put them more into the Titleist/PING category, with their original big bertha's and their late 90's/early 2000 products. But then they kind of lost their way as they have admitted and kind of fell from that status. Now I think they find themselves more in the market to the masses category, of high visibility, big name tour presence and getting your products into peoples hands. I think they have done that and I hope their sales this year reflect their quality products they are releasing and the work they have put in to re-establishing themselves.

It is also why I think a brand like Cleveland, which doesnt market to the masses and doesn't have that huge brand loyalty is struggling to keep afloat.
[/quote]

I agree completely
[/quote]

Both of you are grossly mistaken in your assertion that Acushnet doesn't spend the kind of money that Nike/TMAG does--especially on tour. Winning the ball count every week on global tours is very expensive. As is the footwear and glove count. Pay for play in the putter category is also pricey, though they aren't as active as they once were. As for advertising and not trying to appeal to the masses? Are you kidding me? Low handicap loyalists make up a very low percentage of the market place. Take a look at the next three major golf magazines that you pick up and count the number of Titleist/FJ ads you see. In addition to number, take a look at who owns the premium placement.
It's a laughable assertion that some like to hold on to in order to claim Titleist is a more "authentic" brand...doesn't "buy" the business, etc.
[/quote]

Obviously Titleist and PING want to sell clubs. Perhaps marketing to the masses was a wrong choice of words. What I meant was PING and Titlest aren't going to have flashy displays at Dicks, they don't do "Dicks Sports Only" lines like TM does. They don't promote guys wearing all orange or clubs with neon grips and stupid names. They don't have commericals plastered all over tv of guys in warpaint, and they aren't throwing millions at players to switch their brand. I have no real evidence to back this up but I would venture a guess that the majority of PING and Titliest clubs are still sold at green grass shops and mom and pop stores as opposed to big box retailers, which is where a lot of golfers buy their gear. For them the brand is bigger than the athlete. Thats how you can let Tiger, Phil, Ernie, Rory, Segio, Rickie and everyone else before walk and still keep on keepin on. Because people identify with the brand of Titleist and PING. Without Tiger, Nike golf doesn't exist, period!!! Without a huge tour staff, flashy marketing, constant presence on tv, without flashy ads at Dicks or GG guranteeing 17 mores yds, TM would exist, but would not be the company they are today. You don't need gimmicks to convince people that Titielst or PING are high quality, it's known as part of their brand identity. If you ask any manufacturer or business regardless of product and they would kill to have the brand loyalty that PING and Titleist have.

And yes Titleist has the ball/glove/shoe count which is huge, and they work hard to protect/grown that segment of their business. But again my point was that they aren't engaged flashy media meant to grab every joe schmo off the street. You mention ads in golf magazines. Which is exactly my point. They are using traditional advertising in a media forum (printed word) that is dying. My point was that Titleist and PING employ a different marketing strategy based on a number of factors, including brand loyalty, marketshare and goals, than TM, NIKE and COBRA. One isn't better than the other, it's what works for each company.

P.S. I have never owned a Titlest or PING club, but have owned TM, Nike and Cobra, Cleveland and Callaway.

XR 16 9.5 Fubuki ZT
XR 16 15* PX 6.0
XHot Pro 3 hy PX 6.0
Callaway 09 X Forged 3i, 5-pw - PX 6.0
Callaway MD3 52*, 56*, 60* KBS Tour
Odyssey Vera B/W/B #7,
Ball -TM TP5X

[quote name='Tommy Walter' timestamp='1357569851' post='6182859']
[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1357241462' post='6161559']
[quote name='Tommy Walter' timestamp='1357183934' post='6157425']
[quote name='hef63303' timestamp='1357096866' post='6151473']
The big question is Do any of these guys make you want to buy the brand of equipment they are using? Would any of you change the clubs in your bag just because one of these guys change?
[/quote]

Absolutely not. I would play any tour pro's bag... [b]Their stuff is not retail stuff,[/b] so the changes that they make are hardly a big deal that everyone makes it out to be. Watney will try driver and shaft combos out until he finds one that gives him the numbers he wants... Same will any pro on tour that switches to a new company...
[/quote]

Well, essentially it is. Sure they make tweaks to the swingweight, maybe hotmelt a little, but it's not like the heads they use on tour are made a different way or of different materials than what you buy in a store.
[/quote]

But they are... TM come out with two or three different versions of the drivers they put out... The r11s I think had a V2 and maybe a V3. Different head shape and CC... That goes back to the days of the Burner 07 TP driver... they had smaller heads that were only released to the pro's. So yes, some pro's play retail heads, but hotmelt them, but some pro's have a different head all together... I can say that with certainty with TM anyway.
[/quote]

I would agree with you on that one. I remember seeing a post a few days ago with two images for the R1. It was obvious they were a totally different head shape. I see where you're coming from and I stand partially corrected. I was trying to relay on some information we were given at Callaway with respects to retail vs Tour Issue. TM is a whole other animal, for reasons like you stated...V1, V2, etc etc.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='Lefty94' timestamp='1357575126' post='6183309']
[quote name='TheU' timestamp='1357428655' post='6174779']
[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1357348961' post='6170397']
[quote name='Lefty94' timestamp='1357136539' post='6152847']
It boils down to 2 different strategies. Nike, TM and Cobra have to buy consumer confidence. They have great products, but in golf terms are new to the game. In order to win confidence in their products, they have to blanket the tours and the market to the masses. NOw once they get into peoples hands, they have to perform, which for the most part their products do. It's just the vehicle in which they need to get products into peoples hands. Hence the white drivers, big marketing campaigns, and catchy slogans by TM, and why NIKE is putting the NIKE machine behind their clubs and apparel. Or in Cobras case flashy colors and big name young stars like Rickie and Lexi.

Titliest and PING could absolutely care less about marketing to the masses. They have a much more loyal following. If your a PING guy or a Titleist guy, you generally are for life. Among many they are still considered to be the top brands. Just look a lot of amateur bags, especially amongst the elite, you will still see a ton of Titliest/PING gear. They just continue to crank out high quality products and rely on their brand loyalty, which is very high.

Callaway is IMO is a little different. I think there was a time that you could have put them more into the Titleist/PING category, with their original big bertha's and their late 90's/early 2000 products. But then they kind of lost their way as they have admitted and kind of fell from that status. Now I think they find themselves more in the market to the masses category, of high visibility, big name tour presence and getting your products into peoples hands. I think they have done that and I hope their sales this year reflect their quality products they are releasing and the work they have put in to re-establishing themselves.

It is also why I think a brand like Cleveland, which doesnt market to the masses and doesn't have that huge brand loyalty is struggling to keep afloat.
[/quote]

I agree completely
[/quote]

Both of you are grossly mistaken in your assertion that Acushnet doesn't spend the kind of money that Nike/TMAG does--especially on tour. Winning the ball count every week on global tours is very expensive. As is the footwear and glove count. Pay for play in the putter category is also pricey, though they aren't as active as they once were. As for advertising and not trying to appeal to the masses? Are you kidding me? Low handicap loyalists make up a very low percentage of the market place. Take a look at the next three major golf magazines that you pick up and count the number of Titleist/FJ ads you see. In addition to number, take a look at who owns the premium placement.
It's a laughable assertion that some like to hold on to in order to claim Titleist is a more "authentic" brand...doesn't "buy" the business, etc.
[/quote]

Obviously Titleist and PING want to sell clubs. Perhaps marketing to the masses was a wrong choice of words. What I meant was PING and Titlest aren't going to have flashy displays at Dicks, they don't do "Dicks Sports Only" lines like TM does. They don't promote guys wearing all orange or clubs with neon grips and stupid names. They don't have commericals plastered all over tv of guys in warpaint, and they aren't throwing millions at players to switch their brand. I have no real evidence to back this up but I would venture a guess that the majority of PING and Titliest clubs are still sold at green grass shops and mom and pop stores as opposed to big box retailers, which is where a lot of golfers buy their gear. For them the brand is bigger than the athlete. Thats how you can let Tiger, Phil, Ernie, Rory, Segio, Rickie and everyone else before walk and still keep on keepin on. Because people identify with the brand of Titleist and PING. Without Tiger, Nike golf doesn't exist, period!!! Without a huge tour staff, flashy marketing, constant presence on tv, without flashy ads at Dicks or GG guranteeing 17 mores yds, TM would exist, but would not be the company they are today. You don't need gimmicks to convince people that Titielst or PING are high quality, it's known as part of their brand identity. If you ask any manufacturer or business regardless of product and they would kill to have the brand loyalty that PING and Titleist have.

And yes Titleist has the ball/glove/shoe count which is huge, and they work hard to protect/grown that segment of their business. But again my point was that they aren't engaged flashy media meant to grab every joe schmo off the street. You mention ads in golf magazines. Which is exactly my point. They are using traditional advertising in a media forum (printed word) that is dying. My point was that Titleist and PING employ a different marketing strategy based on a number of factors, including brand loyalty, marketshare and goals, than TM, NIKE and COBRA. One isn't better than the other, it's what works for each company.

P.S. I have never owned a Titlest or PING club, but have owned TM, Nike and Cobra, Cleveland and Callaway.
[/quote]
It is interesting to read your perspective, because perspective isn't necessarily reality. Especially in this case. Over the past 5 years Acushnet has spent more money on TV ads than any other golf company in that period. In 2011, Callaway was the number 1 spender in TV. and for 2012, Ping with their players talking to the mirrors, Binoculars, magic putter attachment (and so on) ads with a comedy bent was the leading TV spender. The final year results are not out yet. Interestingly TMAG has usually been 3rd throughout most of this time. This doesn't include the Dick's SG ads. But DSG ads have other golf companies in their ads also and they weren't included in anyone's expendatures.

TM has a tremendous brand loyalty that's why they can do so many releases and continue to sell hige volumes. Golfers are "tweakers" and kids at heart, they love the toys no matter how long they play with them. Golfers are also always looking for the next answer whether it is a , a change in their stance or their swing or a new "tool" to find the magic. TMAG understands that better than anyone else. As a result, where they really spend more, is on engineering, R&D. Plus they have the guts to expand the golf world to prove it. It was a big risk in most other OEM's eyes and they have sat back and watched. Because of that, they are the "King of the Course". Everyone else is trying to find some room on the playground. Like it or not, that is the fact. I have many, many friends in the golf business with numerous other companies that struggle especially over the past 4 years. Yet it is in that time frame thru a poor economy that TMAG has separated themselves from the pack big time. They are the "400 lb Gorilla". Most are jealous, but they are still respected.

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

[quote name='PMAC' timestamp='1357603457' post='6186589']
Add one more.
[/quote]

I wa just coming back to see of this has been updated.

So all that's left is mr woz?

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

[quote name='PMAC' timestamp='1357603457' post='6186589']
Add one more.
[/quote]

Eric Bana, Andy Roddick, Jessie Eisenberg and Fievel now on Team Nike :jester:

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

[quote name='Kevin N.' timestamp='1357608839' post='6187231']
Jeff Overton leaves Mizuno for Adams Golf.

[url="http://www.golfchannel.com/news/equipment-insider/overton-leaves-mizuno-for-adams-golf/"]http://www.golfchann...for-adams-golf/[/url]
[/quote]

Yup.

[color=#333333][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
[url="https://twitter.com/AdamsGolfInc"][b]Adams Golf[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]AdamsGolfInc[/b][/size][/url][/background][/color][color=#333333][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
Please welcome [url="https://twitter.com/JeffOvertonPGA"][s]@[/s][b]JeffOvertonPGA[/b][/url] to Adams Golf family as our newest PGA Tour staff member. To celebrate, he's our Pro of the Day on Twitter[/background][/color]

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Add one more.

post-11773-0-96519500-1357603439_thumb.jpg

Someone made the comment about his interview and the hat he wore on the golf channel. Agreed.....Watney looks like an @$$hole with that style hat on......Looks like Vanilla Ice joined Nike Golf.

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1357659209' post='6190115']

[url="http://www.golfchannel.com/news/equipment-insider/overton-leaves-mizuno-for-adams-golf/"]http://www.golfchann...for-adams-golf/[/url]
[/quote]

Yup.

[color=#333333][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)][url="https://twitter.com/AdamsGolfInc"][b]Adams Golf[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]AdamsGolfInc[/b][/size][/url][/background][/color]
[color=#333333][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Please welcome [url="https://twitter.com/JeffOvertonPGA"][s]@[/s][b]JeffOvertonPGA[/b][/url] to Adams Golf family as our newest PGA Tour staff member. To celebrate, he's our Pro of the Day on Twitter[/background][/color]
[/quote]

Robert Garrigus to Adams as well.

[quote name='thinch84' timestamp='1357660148' post='6190201']

[/quote]

Yup.

[color=#333333][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)][url="https://twitter.com/AdamsGolfInc"][b]Adams Golf[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]AdamsGolfInc[/b][/size][/url][/background][/color]
[color=#333333][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Please welcome [url="https://twitter.com/JeffOvertonPGA"][s]@[/s][b]JeffOvertonPGA[/b][/url] to Adams Golf family as our newest PGA Tour staff member. To celebrate, he's our Pro of the Day on Twitter[/background][/color]
[/quote]

[/quote]

R9 B stamps to???? CMB???

TMAG evening the deck on their stable of pro's

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[/quote]

Yup.

[/quote]

Golfwire is saying it is just hat, bag, and a hybrid.

[url="http://www.thegolfwire.com/stories/276681"]http://www.thegolfwi.../stories/276681[/url]

But the Adams Blog says he tested a few Adams clubs:

http://www.adamsgolf.com/blog/2013/01/08/teamadams-jeff-overton/

Toulon Palm Beach

[/quote]

Yup.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Garrigus and Sadlowski could make a great marketing team because they wouldn't have to lie about the launch monitor numbers to make a commercial lol

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

[quote name='drbonesvt' timestamp='1357660366' post='6190225']

[/quote]

Yup.

[/quote]

[/quote]

R9 B stamps to???? CMB???

TMAG evening the deck on their stable of pro's
[/quote]

He loves his R9 B Stamps so I would imagine he keeps those in the bag, don't rule out the RocketBladez Tour's either...

...Won't know for sure until next week when he starts up 2013 in La Quinta (finished T2 last year).

Jesper Parnevik signed with Cobra...

1fafbbdad27d86dafa27cd7935ee8d20_normal.jpegGolf Digest@GolfDigestMag

Jesper Parnevik has signed with @cobragolf. Lookin' good, Jesper:pic.twitter.com/b91T04DG

Toulon Palm Beach

Toulon Palm Beach

Just posted Ryo Ishikawas new Callaway WITB with pictures on the post below.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/773737-2013-ryo-ishikawas-callaway-whats-in-the-bag-picture-of-his-new-clubs/

Enjoy

Ryan

[b]Fairway Golf Online Store[/b] :golfer:
Website: [url="http://www.fairwaygolfusa.com"]http://www.fairwaygolfusa.com[/url]
Email: [email="[email protected]?subject=GolfWRX%20Inquiry"][email protected][/email]
Instagram:[url="https://instagram.com/fairwaygolfusa/"]https://instagram.com/fairwaygolfusa/[/url]
Phone: 1-619-702-1702

Colsaerts is still playing a Prov1 by the looks of it...

God Bless
Jer

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto