Taylormade R1 Graphics

igolfchip

[quote name='smackygolf' timestamp='1353899968' post='5978809']
[quote name='dlefty' timestamp='1353898154' post='5978657']
Question for everyone........(your chance to become marketing experts!) - but only answer after clearly reading all info below:

This driver MUST be very visibly different from R11 and R11s (plain white crown) so that the average person watching golf (MILLIONS OF PEOPLE) can clearly see, and it clearly registers with them that they are seeing a new / different driver. They then will go to look for and buy that different looking driver.

[b]What would you do design wise for the crown?[/b]

Keep in mind-"I'd leave it plain white" or "I'd release it in black" ARE NOT OPTIONS.
[/quote]

Exactly. I've been saying that for days. TV is all that matters. Not WRX. Hell, if u went by what WRX thought, Cobra would sell clubs. And they don't. Forged traditional looking irons would sell. And they don't. People would be mad that they are getting duped into thinking they are hitting farther because of strong lofts. And they aren't. All this whining, and actually thinking TM may change graphics because 50 guys on a message board don't like it, makes me laugh.
[/quote]

If forged irons don't sell, how is Mizuno still in business?

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for everyone........(your chance to become marketing experts!) - but only answer after clearly reading all info below:

This driver MUST be very visibly different from R11 and R11s (plain white crown) so that the average person watching golf (MILLIONS OF PEOPLE) can clearly see, and it clearly registers with them that they are seeing a new / different driver. They then will go to look for and buy that different looking driver.

Keep in mind-"I'd leave it plain white" or "I'd release it in black" ARE NOT OPTIONS.
[/quote]

Exactly. I've been saying that for days. TV is all that matters. Not WRX. Hell, if u went by what WRX thought, Cobra would sell clubs. And they don't. Forged traditional looking irons would sell. And they don't. People would be mad that they are getting duped into thinking they are hitting farther because of strong lofts. And they aren't. All this whining, and actually thinking TM may change graphics because 50 guys on a message board don't like it, makes me laugh.
[/quote]
+1 So true!

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1353900845' post='5978871']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
He should have said forged blades. By the way Mizuno has stayed in the golf business by making various cavity backs and forged two piece heads and they are still small. Besides the Mizuno Company is big in Baseball, Softball, Vollyball and running.

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1353900559' post='5978853']
SG,
Don't you think with the R1 logo on hats, staff bags and head covers it will give more exposure to the club for "average consumers" than a loud crown design?
[/quote]

Not to speak for smackygolf since that who you directed it to, but I can tell you - NO, for the consumer that means the most from a sales standpoint, it will not.
And I can also tell you that a custom colored white shaft will not either. The head has to be noticeably different-it must have a visual impact on TV in a similar fashion that seeing white back in '11 had.

After seeing these pics, I'm so disappointed. I was hoping for more graphics this year, perhaps even custom ones... not this alignment aid triangle thing they have going on guaranteed to increase fairways hit by 30% with a high draw... I just hate that. I wanted something more like this:

$(KGrHqJ,!iYE-TD)Gp9nBPtflYfsNw~~60_35.JPG

hey, when hot lips outdrives you, you know you've been schooled son.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

Thanks for the pics!

Got to say I love the look of the crown. I'm a TM fan obviously, but thats only because I've had a string of their equipment in recent years that out performs everything else and so long as this does the same people will buy it!

Personally, I think the head looks sleak, classy and modern. Probably not for the traditionalists out there but the modern golfing generation will get it in their hands and love it. Just like they did with R9, just like they did with Rocketballz, just like they did with R11. And these all got slated on here when they first came out but look at them now. So I personally can't wait to see it for real and am tipping it for success.

[quote name='R11heaven' timestamp='1353930676' post='5979487']
Thanks for the pics!

Got to say I love the look of the crown. I'm a TM fan obviously, but thats only because I've had a string of their equipment in recent years that out performs everything else and so long as this does the same people will buy it!

Personally, I think the head looks sleak, classy and modern. Probably not for the traditionalists out there but the modern golfing generation will get it in their hands and love it. Just like they did with R9, just like they did with Rocketballz, just like they did with R11. And these all got slated on here when they first came out but look at them now. So I personally can't wait to see it for real and am tipping it for success.
[/quote]

/amen

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

[quote name='dlefty' timestamp='1353903897' post='5979023']
SG,
Don't you think with the R1 logo on hats, staff bags and head covers it will give more exposure to the club for "average consumers" than a loud crown design?
[/quote]

Not to speak for smackygolf since that who you directed it to, but I can tell you - NO, for the consumer that means the most from a sales standpoint, it will not.
And I can also tell you that a custom colored white shaft will not either. The head has to be noticeably different-it must have a visual impact on TV in a similar fashion that seeing white back in '11 had.
[/quote]

I remember the first year of the "white headed driver" I could not tell from tv if they were playing the R11 or Burner at first glance and I follow this stuff religously as we all know. This makes me wonder how they will distinguish the new RBZ2 line and all the preceding lines thereafter. Our clubs are slowly turning into gaudy NASCAR billboards....

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1353935182' post='5979581']
SG,
[/quote]

[/quote]

I remember the first year of the "white headed driver" I could not tell from tv if they were playing the R11 or Burner at first glance and I follow this stuff religously as we all know. This makes me wonder how they will distinguish the new RBZ2 line and all the preceding lines thereafter. Our clubs are slowly turning into gaudy NASCAR billboards....
[/quote]

it was the natural genesis of things as soon as ONE manufacturer became big dog solely because they bought half the tour and put white in their hands. Like a Callaway buddy of mine says--if TM had decided that square was the way to go and then put 100 full time staffers on tour, we'd all be playing square drivers. They chose quantity of players over big names, and guessed right. Now, with people taking clear pics of the clubs for the internet (remember the days of players being able to hide what driver they were ACTUALLY using by switching headcovers?), the manufacturers MUST have a way for the TV watchers that aren't junkies like us to be able to tell what they are playing. We've all heard the guys on the course discussing the tour stuff, and we know how often they are TOTALLY wrong. Doesn't matter. Perception is reality. If 100 guys are palying this monstrosity every week, it'll sell like crazy.

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1353611556' post='5966543']
In the end i don't really think it matters what it looks like. When the ads come out people will buy them in hordes
[/quote]
Yup. Remember all the flack last year about Rocketballz? People saying they would never carry anything that say Rocketballz; then you see them all over.
TM knows they are going to do fine.

Personally, they still haven't made anything since the R9 line that I am interested in.

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

[quote name='AChapa8807' timestamp='1353606333' post='5966257']
Wife asked... "Did Taylormade make a compass?" As well as...... "Why would anyone want a compass on their driver?"

I too don't care for that as I don't play anything with graphics on the crown.
[/quote]
You need a compass to find your way back to fairway after you've hit it.

same thing i said for the speedline release..........nothing Continental Golf couldn't fix for $50.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

[quote name='smackygolf' timestamp='1353936125' post='5979609']
SG,
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

it was the natural genesis of things as soon as ONE manufacturer became big dog solely because they bought half the tour and put white in their hands. Like a Callaway buddy of mine says--if TM had decided that square was the way to go and then put 100 full time staffers on tour, we'd all be playing square drivers. They chose quantity of players over big names, and guessed right. Now, with people taking clear pics of the clubs for the internet (remember the days of players being able to hide what driver they were ACTUALLY using by switching headcovers?), the manufacturers MUST have a way for the TV watchers that aren't junkies like us to be able to tell what they are playing. We've all heard the guys on the course discussing the tour stuff, and we know how often they are TOTALLY wrong. Doesn't matter. Perception is reality. If 100 guys are palying this monstrosity every week, it'll sell like crazy.
[/quote][quote name='smackygolf' timestamp='1353936125' post='5979609']
SG,
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks SG! I always appreciate your feedback bro!

couldn't those lines on the head visually mess up your alignment? - just seems distracting.........not that you shouldn't be staring at the head at address.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

[quote name='dlefty' timestamp='1353904091' post='5979039']
[/quote]

Because of the MX and more recently JPX line successes to the masses. As well as their businesses outside of golf.
[/quote]

No way mx outsells mp lines. Also companies don't keep money losing divisions, it's bad for business. If Mizzy was losing money on golf in US , they'd leave.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

I'll see how this performs. My R11s will be hard to beat. But if the R1 hits the ball longer, I'll give it a try. If the crown graphics get annoying, there's always Continental Golf.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 10K, 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

TaylorMade Qi10 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Fujikura Ventus TR Blue FW 65 R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

[quote name='Goldenhawk' timestamp='1353941611' post='5979839']
I'll see how this performs. My R11s will be hard to beat. But if the R1 hits the ball longer, I'll give it a try. If the crown graphics get annoying, there's always Continental Golf.
[/quote]

Exactly my thought process as well. I have a awful feeling that this will probably be a winner though which will lead me to spending more coin on refinishing it. That is how my luck goes. Between this driver, Nike Covert and the RFE it's going to be a great shootout to see who wins out!!!

[quote name='Golfjunki71' timestamp='1353940626' post='5979785']
[/quote]

Because of the MX and more recently JPX line successes to the masses. As well as their businesses outside of golf.
[/quote]

No way mx outsells mp lines. Also companies don't keep money losing divisions, it's bad for business. If Mizzy was losing money on golf in US , they'd leave.
[/quote]

Very true. Not to mention Mizuno is far and away the leader in forged club sales.

PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB
Fourteen RM12 51* 55* 59* S400

[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1353895717' post='5978493']
[quote name='andef' timestamp='1353891445' post='5978131']
Looks like it's down to Titleist vs. Callaway for me. I hope TM'a RBZ2 fws aren't like this, otherwise it's be Cally vs. Titleist again for my 3 wood slot.
[/quote]

do yourself a favor and check out adams golf
[/quote]

From the pics of the Speedline that was posted in this thread, Adams won't have something that fits my eye. Not that they currently do, considering their woods have that hideous slot and silver crown.

[quote name='chiva' timestamp='1353896179' post='5978515']
[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1353895717' post='5978493']
[quote name='andef' timestamp='1353891445' post='5978131']
Looks like it's down to Titleist vs. Callaway for me. I hope TM'a RBZ2 fws aren't like this, otherwise it's be Cally vs. Titleist again for my 3 wood slot.
[/quote]

do yourself a favor and check out adams golf
[/quote]

I'm down to ping, cleveland, and adams for a new driver for next year. I have ruled TM out after seeing this monstrosity.
[/quote]

It looks like Adams is no longer an option for you, the Speedline will have the same crown design of the R1.
I may give Cleveland a try if they release a driver with a black crown and solid shaft options with no up charge.
Ping is not an option with their annoying alignment mark and the Callaway X Hot with the grey crown is no longer in consideration for me.
It's really coming down to the RBZ2, Callaway RAZR Fit Extreme and Titleist 913s.

[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1353615563' post='5966781']
I love this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love this thread!!!!!!!!!

I should go back to the original R11 thread and link it here. That exposed the first white driver. We were torching that design. Yes I said "torch". There were 20 haters for every 1 person that liked it. We bashed that white like it was the ugliest thing ever designed.

Now look who is laughing. Small tweaks get first look approvals. Major shifts get hammered on day one. 2 ball, white, adjustability, white, etc.
[/quote]

I agree with easyyy's post...the R11, Superfast V1...both were initially bashed heavily on this site and both were good sellers. With that said, change and innovation doesn't always equal success. This feels like they are being "different" just to be "different", "loud" to be noticed.

My personal perference is for a clean look especially on the crown. I'm not a fan of the current trend (by any manufacturer) to put graphics on the crown. I'm wondering if TM might consider making this a removeable decal.

[quote name='Skaffa77' timestamp='1353944535' post='5980039']
[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1353615563' post='5966781']
I love this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love this thread!!!!!!!!!

I should go back to the original R11 thread and link it here. That exposed the first white driver. We were torching that design. Yes I said "torch". There were 20 haters for every 1 person that liked it. We bashed that white like it was the ugliest thing ever designed.

Now look who is laughing. Small tweaks get first look approvals. Major shifts get hammered on day one. 2 ball, white, adjustability, white, etc.
[/quote]

I agree with easyyy's post...the R11, Superfast V1...both were initially bashed heavily on this site and both were good sellers. With that said, change and innovation doesn't always equal success. This feels like they are being "different" just to be "different", "loud" to be noticed.

My personal perference is for a clean look especially on the crown. I'm not a fan of the current trend (by any manufacturer) to put graphics on the crown. I'm wondering if TM might consider making this a removeable decal.
[/quote]

I agree on the whole bashing of the white painted heads because it was such a change from the norm. Right now I'm using an R11s and quickly got over the looks from a visual aspect because I'm hitting it well.

The new TM driver is not only white, but has graphics like a dirtbike helmet. I think it's too much.. but I am more interested in what performance and technology is incorporated into this driver and not talk the paint scheme to death.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='HeadonaStick' timestamp='1353878907' post='5977185']
[quote name='Mustng5' timestamp='1353614698' post='5966711']
never in my life have I seen so many ppl talkn abt how graphics hurt their feelings and they don't like it, try getting fit for the best driver for YOUR game and then focus on the target you're hitting at, truth be told half of you talking about the graphics are the same ones that talked about the R11 being white and they hit a homerun with that, probably the same guys playing blades and can't even get the pw above eye level.
[/quote]

I don't play a white driver either, so what's your point?

I don't care if they sell a billion of them, I just won't play it. I played the R7 & R9 but I won't play something that is so distracting and plain fugly. As for getting fit, there are many drivers by a number of OEMs and it is possible to find a driver that fits from several companies - there is hardly a requirment to play this abomination.

That said, if it is your cup of tea than good for you. It just isn't for me and is esthetically retarded, in my opinion. I am sure TaylorMade has done their homework, but if they aren't careful serious golfers won't take them for a serious clubmaker.
[/quote]

You clearly are in the minority and clearly are mistaken. Whatever the pros play is what the people want to play 9/10 times, this website is the minority! Clubmakers will have whatever their consumers want. Period.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dude, you're wrong about what sells. I love when guys not in the biz, with NO NUMBERS, want to argue about it. What I wrote was that forged traditional sets don't sell. Quit arguing. They don't sell. One of us isn't guessing, and it's not you.

SG,
[/quote]

[/quote]

With the sentiment that "different" is necessary for more product recognition and sales, I'm surprised TM didn't make the graphics louder (brighter logos/colors on the crown) or decide to make a neon green RBZ driver.

The thing I always wondered is the average product life cycle for drivers now. Just like there is an average # of years for a person to own a car before getting a new one, I wonder how long the average consumer (non-GolfWRX) goes out to buy a new driver. The R11 was "different" and a huge hit, but I just keep wondering how soon that same audience will go out to buy a new driver just because the new one exists (and is marketed).

[quote name='smackygolf' timestamp='1353945200' post='5980093']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dude, you're wrong about what sells. I love when guys not in the biz, with NO NUMBERS, want to argue about it. What I wrote was that forged traditional sets don't sell. Quit arguing. They don't sell. One of us isn't guessing, and it's not you.
[/quote]

I'm just trying to have a discussion. No I'm not in the business not would I want to be. Get off your holier than thou soapbox.

[quote name='smackygolf' timestamp='1353945200' post='5980093']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
I just read this and am not quite sure what it is about his last statement that you disagree with. Are you just saying that forged traditional sets do not sell or are you saying that mp's do not outsell mx. Do you think if mizuno was losing in US they would not leave? Just asking.