2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Would you give up golf for $1,000,000?

adamjstl

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No because golf brings enjoyment to me , playing it or watching it I love the game, more than nearly everything else

[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 913D2 8.75* w/ Diamana Blue S[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 913F 16.5* w/ Diamana Blue S[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping Anser 20* w/ TCF 800 s[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron w/ KBS C TAPER LITE X
Mizuno MP5 4-PW w/ KBS C TAPER LITE X
Titleist SM6 52* KBS TOUR 90 S
Titleist SM6 58* STOCK
Odyssey #7[/font][/size][/color]

[quote name='HoosierHacker89' timestamp='1364365515' post='6704569']
without a doubt for a split second. I can't believe there are actually any no answers.
[/quote]

Once you make enough money to live comfortably, extra money has minimal impact on your happiness. $1 million is not enough to live off without working unless you're pretty close to retiring in decent shape anyway. Basically in 6 months time, you'll feel exactly the same as you do now, but you'll have lost the chance to play golf any more. I derive much more pleasure from playing the game than I would from a million bucks anyway. To me it's a no-brainer the other way.

One thing I think would be interesting to hear is if the choice was lose a million bucks (if you have less than that, then you owe it and have to pay it off) or have that debt wiped if you give up the game. Everyone is looking at this as +1 million vs playing golf, but what if it was nothing versus -1 million and playing golf. Then I'd probably have to think long and hard about giving up the game. Or working on a payment plan that didn't cripple me.

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

[quote name='Ty_Webb' timestamp='1364404481' post='6707535']
[quote name='HoosierHacker89' timestamp='1364365515' post='6704569']
without a doubt for a split second. I can't believe there are actually any no answers.
[/quote]

Once you make enough money to live comfortably, extra money has minimal impact on your happiness. $1 million is not enough to live off without working unless you're pretty close to retiring in decent shape anyway. Basically in 6 months time, you'll feel exactly the same as you do now, but you'll have lost the chance to play golf any more. I derive much more pleasure from playing the game than I would from a million bucks anyway. To me it's a no-brainer the other way.

One thing I think would be interesting to hear is if the choice was lose a million bucks (if you have less than that, then you owe it and have to pay it off) or have that debt wiped if you give up the game. Everyone is looking at this as +1 million vs playing golf, but what if it was nothing versus -1 million and playing golf. Then I'd probably have to think long and hard about giving up the game. Or working on a payment plan that didn't cripple me.
[/quote]

LOL, out of college with loans I wouldve considered it too.....except I grew up inFL and love golf[i]...but I get it[/i]

Maybe, it's hard to say. I'm about to get married and we are just starting out so that would be a nice cushion. And I have two other hobbies I love (hunting and fishing), but I would miss the heck out of golf

TSR3 8 - Ventus Black 6x
TaylorMade Stealth + 15 - Ventus TR 8x
Titleist TSR3 19 - Ventus Black 10TX 
Titleist T100 4-PW - Modus 3 120x
SM9 50, 56, 60 - Modus 3 120x
Spider Tour

Sure, why not. I've played for 40 years and enjoyed it, but for a million bucks, I'd set it aside.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

No way... I suck at fishing.

[color=#0000ff]Titleist TSR3 8*[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Callaway Epic SZ 15*[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Taylormade M3 Hybrids 17, 21[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Srixon ZX Utility 23[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Bridgestone 221CB 6-PW[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Miura 50, 54, 58C - KBS Tour[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Byron Morgan DH89[/color]

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1364656826' post='6725673']
a million? I'd give up golf for whatever money id get for my clubs on craigslist.
[/quote]

What kind of clubs do you have? I may be interested... haha. ;)

[color=#0000ff]Titleist TSR3 8*[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Callaway Epic SZ 15*[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Taylormade M3 Hybrids 17, 21[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Srixon ZX Utility 23[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Bridgestone 221CB 6-PW[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Miura 50, 54, 58C - KBS Tour[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Byron Morgan DH89[/color]

It isn't about money, or handicap, or what clubs are in your bag... It is about a lifestyle, something you eat, sleep, and breathe. If you truly love this game, you can't put a dollar figure on it. Maybe add 2 more 0's to that mill, and you would make it difficult to say no. My clubs are always there for me when I have a bad day.

Blowing a mill would make you feel great no doubt, but having a mill, doesnt make you a millionaire. Having memories of knocking a 5 iron draw under the wind to a back left pin position, or rolling a 30ft double breaker right in the middle of the cup; those are moments that make you smile long after money is gone. I love the game, I love the people, and I love the way a course feels at 6am when you walk on the first tee. The serenity and peacefulness are second to none, pure bliss.

To answer the question posed, would i give the game up for 1mill? No, I couldn't turn my back on the best life lessons I've learned, nor the great people I have met and will continue to meet. I love it to much.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i]913fd 13.5 w/ Rombax P95x[/i][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i]913fd 18 w/ Alpha80x[/i][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Titleist 84 Square Toe Custom's w/ Rombax 115i X 3-PW[/i][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Ping Anser 53-58 w/PX6.0[/i][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Ping Anser w/ sound slot circa1970? 35" Red dot[/i][/font]

[quote name='foxycats' timestamp='1364790085' post='6734613']
It isn't about money, or handicap, or what clubs are in your bag... It is about a lifestyle, something you eat, sleep, and breathe. If you truly love this game, you can't put a dollar figure on it. Maybe add 2 more 0's to that mill, and you would make it difficult to say no. My clubs are always there for me when I have a bad day.

Blowing a mill would make you feel great no doubt, but having a mill, doesnt make you a millionaire. Having memories of knocking a 5 iron draw under the wind to a back left pin position, or rolling a 30ft double breaker right in the middle of the cup; those are moments that make you smile long after money is gone. I love the game, I love the people, and I love the way a course feels at 6am when you walk on the first tee. The serenity and peacefulness are second to none, pure bliss.

To answer the question posed, would i give the game up for 1mill? No, I couldn't turn my back on the best life lessons I've learned, nor the great people I have met and will continue to meet. I love it to much.
[/quote]

Great post!

[quote name='foxycats' timestamp='1364790085' post='6734613']

[/quote]

I think you've said it really well. For me, I left the game for a decade, I got burnt out from an extensive junior career and then trying to go beyond that and started to hate the game. Since I've taken it back up it's been fun and a great social experience for me but it's no longer a lifestyle for me. I love to play, and have fun playing but my feelings toward golf are nowhere what it was when I was in my teens, If I was told tomorrow I could no longer play the game I would probably be sad but it wouldn't be a huge life changer for me. A million for me would just be a nice cushion, I'd still work, I have to work that's just how I am, hell if somebody offered me 100k to give it up I would. Hockey on the other hand, that has become my sport. Always loved it but it took that void when golf was the end for me, so I can get why people would say no...there is not a chance in hell I would hang my skates up for a million.,

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Great question. When I was 20, the answer would be a definite no. I'm now 34 years old with a wife, a mortgage, and the likelihood of children in a few years. It definitely gives me a moment to pause and think. However I'm still chasing the dream...whatever that means! When I was younger it probably meant this crazy dream of turning pro at some point, but now I'm far more realistic. I'm a single digit handicap who works too much and spends most of his time at the range, but I have this hope that I can keep improving and get to scratch. From there I'd love to play some mini-tour events and attempt qualifying for the US Open, etc. I'm sure I'd get my butt handed to me, but it would be a blast to compete at that level. Have to think I'm a couple of years away from doing this....so I'm going to say no! I'm sticking with the golf. However come back and ask me when I'm in my 40's and I might say something different.

Cleveland Custom XL - Black Tie X
TEE CB4 3W, CB2 5W - Proforce V2 X
Adams Idea Pro 3H - Aldila By You S
Callaway Apex 4I - KBS Tour X
Bridgestone J38 DPC 5-PW - KBS Tour X
588 RTX Rust - 52, 58 KBS Tour X
Odyssey MXM #9, 34 in.

If I was like 70 or something (I'm 24) yeah sure, but at the risk of sounds like an a**, $1MM isn't that much money, so no. My number is $50MM after taxes.

The only other thing I take as seriously as golf is snowboarding so it happens to work out perfectly that Dec-Mar I snowboard and then the other months I golf.

I would in a heartbeat.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

Yes, I already did that deal, more or less, and unintentionally. I'm coming back from 15 years not playing because I didn't have the time because of kids and work. And I love sporting clays.

Now here's a procedural question. I started playing again recently, with my wife. First kid going to college, time to take a little time for ourselves. If she quits, too, can we have $2 million? No? How about she quits for the million while I keep playing?

[quote name='golfheaven69' timestamp='1365210053' post='6771403']
Sure!

For a few weeks.
[/quote]

Nice picture! I played in a "Celebrity" golf scramble a few days ago, and Tickle was a "Celebrity". He showed up drunk and only played a couple of holes before he had to leave. I felt bad for the guys who got stuck with him! But, then again, my "Celebrity" quit after 8 holes.