2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

SWANRY30 WITB - 2014 FINALIZED?

[quote name='tyro' timestamp='1371526714' post='7269334']
Nice bag Swanry! I have a similar setup but with i20 irons. I agree in regards to your comments concerning the variable turf conditions in the NW. It can be soppy one weeks and then hardpan after a week of sun and wind. Keeps us on our toes...

I'm close to going with a V2, but I might wait for a black one. I did try an R11S V2, but went back to my stock model, as it outperformed the tour model for me.
[/quote]

spot on... the variable turf conditions really makes things interesting! for me this is why the ansers are on the way out... they work great in the wetter conditions. from the hardpan - they still perform ok (even though a thinner sole would work better). my issue with them is in the rough. the rough gets really heavy and sticky, especially between or during the weather transitions. coming off the rain it is humid and the grass is long and tangled. the anser's do not have the sole grind/width to work.

right now the j40 cb's are all but coming. if my Nike irons were here then i would never be going down this route. ironically, the j40cb's were my dream iron until i saw the new nike vr pro splits.

see my comment below on the v2

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1371536633' post='7269992']
R1 V2 is sick! However, the Covert Tour smoked it at the Oven during Swanry's fitting. Should be interesting to see how they do on the course for him.
[/quote]

the v2 is an incredible driver. when i first got it i was in love. the best feeling/sounding head i have ever played. flat out the covert tour killed it. it was longer, flighted better, much more forgiving - without giving up the feel (the sound wasn't as good). however, with our heads coming straight from the oven and hearing some of the other guys feedback - the covert tour may sound better!

think of the CT vs the v2 like this. for $1000 you can buy a v2 with a shaft. if you wanted a black one - your price went up another $500 and you may not have a shaft... for $375-700 (worst case scenario) you buy a CT.

honestly feel that if you have a high SS player that struggles with controlling height and spin, you will not beat the CT with a good shaft.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I agree about the Pings from the wet rough. I played a moist round at Gold Mountain last week and paid the price on a few thick & wet rough shots. You either get a flyer or a dud. Sometimes I just default to punching my DHY if I'm far enough out, or just go with a Vokey if I'm close enough.

I think you'll love the J40 CB's, if you haven't already played them. I have a set with Steelfibers that I love. They seem to work very well for NW conditions and take just the right pelt each time. Out of all of the blade/slight cavity back irons I've tried, they are my favorite. Best look, feel, and forgiveness. i'd love another set with PXi's.

I'm not even that high of a SS player (~100), but I could still see the benefits of the Covert Tour. I need to spend more time with one with some different shafts. From a price standpoint, the CT makes way more sense than the V2. The red doesn't bother me either. On my first shot, I thought, "Wow! A RED driver!" Then, over the course of hitting about 15 balls, I totally forgot about it until I handed it back to the rep.

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1371567582' post='7271856']
honestly feel that if you have a high SS player that struggles with controlling height and spin, you will not beat the CT with a good shaft.
[/quote]

Bold statement!! I will have another round with it later today.. I'm going to need at least 10 rounds in to come up with my final verdict on this one vs. the 913's.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1371572031' post='7272798']
[/quote]

Bold statement!! I will have another round with it later today.. I'm going to need at least 10 rounds in to come up with my final verdict on this one vs. the 913's.
[/quote]

it is... regardless of how someone likes the club visually or from the audible standpoint - facts are facts. it produced higher ball speeds for everyone. kyle stanley mentioned the same thing after testing it last year. it also killed the spin and flattened the flight during our fitting at the oven. although it may sound bold - when you break it down piece by piece the CT does it..

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1371574146' post='7273138']
[/quote]

[/quote]

it is... regardless of how someone likes the club visually or from the audible standpoint - facts are facts. it produced higher ball speeds for everyone. kyle stanley mentioned the same thing after testing it last year. it also killed the spin and flattened the flight during our fitting at the oven. although it may sound bold - when you break it down piece by piece the CT does it..
[/quote]

Throw a 7.2X or 8.2X TS in it and come down to Oklahoma/Arkansas area and I'll show you how to hit it!

Same goes for you, Tai! :taunt:

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

[quote name='Rosco1216' timestamp='1371575633' post='7273442']
[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1371574146' post='7273138']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Throw a 7.2X or 8.2X TS in it and come down to Oklahoma/Arkansas area and I'll show you how to hit it!

Same goes for you, Tai! :taunt:
[/quote]

that is what we both have. 7.2TS driver 8.2TS three wood (well he does - mine haven't showed yet)!

[quote name='nitram' timestamp='1371678549' post='7285040']
Ryan, what were your settings on the v2 and what are they with the CT?
[/quote]

with the v2 i was 9* N - which spec'd out to 11* 4* open.

my settings with the CT are 8.5 R

the ball flight is noticeably flatter with the CT. also - my head is melted quite a bit, which makes the sound and feel wonderful. i love a muted sound. the v2 sounds a little more modern (think jason day u.s. open telecast) while the CT with melt sounds deeper and less metallic like (rory's driver at the u.s. open telecast).

[quote name='Rosco1216' timestamp='1371003791' post='7219118']
Should have just listened to me from the beginning! They are the ONE iron you haven't bagged and you've been talking about them for over a year but haven't pulled the trigger..I bet you don't step up and get a set..

(Yes. That is a challenge and reverse psychology at work..)
[/quote]
[quote name='nitram' timestamp='1371003941' post='7219130']
Rosco, he's too OCD to mix the 'stones with the swoosh.
[/quote]

BTW guys - mixing STONES and SWOOSH.

the J40cb's will be here in about two weeks to hold me over until the NIKE SPLITS show! you didn't believe me... and i didn't need the reverse psychology. i mentioned this somewhere in the thread, but the the J40cb's have been my dream iron for two years (until i saw the 14 Nike's).

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1371833069' post='7297964']
Should have just listened to me from the beginning! They are the ONE iron you haven't bagged and you've been talking about them for over a year but haven't pulled the trigger..I bet you don't step up and get a set..

[/quote]
[/quote]

the J40cb's will be here in about two weeks to hold me over until the NIKE SPLITS show! you didn't believe me... and i didn't need the reverse psychology. i mentioned this somewhere in the thread, but the the J40cb's have been my dream iron for two years (until i saw the 14 Nike's).
[/quote]

Oh I know they've been your dream for 2 years and that's why I've been giving you a hard time about them because you've tried just about every other iron out there except them :)

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

:good:

I volunteer to be the semi-official timekeeper of the impending dilemna............

All BS aside Ryan, I'll sincerely be shocked if they're not (to borrow a phrase from Brad) 'the dog's balls' for you.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

[quote name='nick.woods76' timestamp='1371907169' post='7302402']
swanry did you find the RB tour irons spun too much when you played them?

I can't control the side spin with the short irons - If I hit a draw they hit the green and spin left like a top. Unfortunately I can't hit a straight ball lol

Not sure Im diggin these irons
[/quote]

I think that's a swing issue, the rb tours spin less than the ap2 for me

[quote name='nick.woods76' timestamp='1371907169' post='7302402']
swanry did you find the RB tour irons spun too much when you played them?

I can't control the side spin with the short irons - If I hit a draw they hit the green and spin left like a top. Unfortunately I can't hit a straight ball lol

Not sure Im diggin these irons
[/quote]

for me the RBT spun quite a bit - even with the CTAPER's in them, which was surprising. as you mentioned the short irons would really rip back into certain greens. in many cases i started playing an extra club in on shorter distances and hitting more of a 3/4 shot to knock the spin off. on a short iron over draw - the spin on the green was uncontrollable. you could literally spin it from the top right of a green to the bottom left of the green. i don't hit too many over draws with the short irons - but when you did good-bye. for me the 3-5 irons were where the RBT were great. you could hit the ball high and LONG.

for reference the ap2 tours spun way more in the long irons but less in the 8-pw for me than the RBT.

for the right person the RBT would be $.

[quote name='nitram' timestamp='1371904208' post='7302282']

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

:good:

I volunteer to be the semi-official timekeeper of the impending dilemma............

All BS aside Ryan, I'll sincerely be shocked if they're not (to borrow a phrase from Brad) 'the dog's balls' for you.
[/quote]

i can't wait to get them on the course. one of my first rounds with them maybe bandon. i'm really hoping that my NIKE wedges arrive soon as well...

this is how my bag is shaping up:

NIKE COVERT TOUR 8.5* R MOTORE SPEEDER 7.2TS
NIKE COVERT TOUR 13* R MOTORE SPEEDER 8.2TS
ADAMS DHY 21* MATRIX OZIK HX3
BRIDGESTONE J40 4-PW PX 6.5
MIZUNO 50/54/58 S400

some of the equipment will be replaced and/or go into a shootout with the Nike clubs that have not arrived.

in the back up bag:

TITLEIST 913D3 8.5 c1 WB 73x
TITLEIST 913D3 13.5 c1 WB 83x
NIKE COVERT hybrid 17* GD TOUR AD DI 95x
PING ANSER 3-PW CTAPER 130x
TAYLORMADE ATV 54/58 S300

[size=4]You don't find a huge gap between the 21* DHY and the 13* CT? Any reason for going with the PX 6.5 over the C Tapers?[/size]

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

[quote name='JJK947' timestamp='1371941018' post='7304380']
[size=4]You don't find a huge gap between the 21* DHY and the 13* CT? Any reason for going with the PX 6.5 over the C Tapers?[/size]
[/quote]

i will be fine having a slightly larger gap between the three / hybrid / four iron - as i really need to have something to fill that 125 spot. the DHY at 21* (distance wise) ended up being the best loft as it split that gap perfectly. those who have tried it will validate the distance/accuracy of this club. almost hard to miss - yet it is nice and compact. hard to find the best of both worlds. unfortunately it looks like hell :)

You pull trigger on J40s? Awesome irons. I would also think you'd look pretty good rolling the GoLo... Lol.

Have you actually put the DHy in play yet? Its just insanely long.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1372295319' post='7331300']
You pull trigger on J40s? Awesome irons. I would also think you'd look pretty good rolling the GoLo... Lol.

Have you actually put the DHy in play yet? Its just insanely long.
[/quote]

Yeah - the j40 cb's/dhy were ordered for me last week...! Looking forward to their arrival :)

Golo would look good lol!

the covert tour's are here and firmly in the bag - love them! they are much different than one might expect. very flat flight and low spin with no ballooning whatsoever, which is a dream for me. forgiveness may not be the correct work, but these heads can be worked, yet with a perfect balance of straight. extremely easy to find the center of the face - despite the fact it is a tour head and has a smaller footprint. you will never confuse the covert tour with the g25 when it comes to being point and shoot, but to date i haven't found a tour head with these characteristics.