Pure745's 2013 Shootout - THE OVEN setup added 6/13

Pure745

Speeder TS heaven! I think they are the best shafts on the market for the segment the fit into. How do you like the 8.2 in the fairways? Significantly lower flight than your DI/Fubuki K?

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='JJK947' timestamp='1363143792' post='6601639']
Speeder TS heaven! I think they are the best shafts on the market for the segment the fit into. How do you like the 8.2 in the fairways? Significantly lower flight than your DI/Fubuki K?
[/quote]

8.2's in the fairways is really solid.. REALLY solid! I've been really impressed by the TS Speeders, mainly on my bad swings, they seem to hold their lines better and not spin out too much. I would say the 8.2 is significantly better than the Fubuki K, the Di-7x tipped 1.5" is a really good setup in the Nike's, surprisingly good and longer than the Fubuki K's that were in there prior.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1363144580' post='6601725']
[quote name='JJK947' timestamp='1363143792' post='6601639']
[/quote]

8.2's in the fairways is really solid.. REALLY solid! I've been really impressed by the TS Speeders, mainly on my bad swings, they seem to hold their lines better and not spin out too much. I would say the 8.2 is significantly better than the Fubuki K, the Di-7x tipped 1.5" is a really good setup in the Nike's, surprisingly good and longer than the Fubuki K's that were in there prior.
[/quote]

I had an 8.2 TS and sold it without even trying it, thought it would be too low in the Nike LE 15*. Now that everybody is getting a hold of them and raving I'm really regretting that! Totally agree about the misses with the TS shafts. This shaft was a game changer for me last summer because of that. Looking forward to the rest of the review/shootout!

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

@JJK947: The 8.2 in the VR LE 15* would be ridiculous. Like I have said many times, the VR LE's are one of the most underrated and best values for a driver/fwy out right now. I can already tell the Xhot and TM setups are going to give them a run for the money, if not beat them out. The Titleist stuff isn't necessarily blowing me away with anything but are really solid performers all around, and have a great classic look to them.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1363278281' post='6610899']
[b]Update: Outdoor Trackman later today :)[/b]
[/quote]
Can't wait.

Titleist TSR2 9 Fujikura Ventus Blue
Srixon ZX mkll 15 Ventus Red

Taylormade Sim2 Max 19 GD
Srixon ZX 5 MKII 4-AW Nippon
Vokey SM7 54/10

Vokey SM9 59/5

Scotty tri sole Newport 2 ct

Titleist ProV1

[color=#ff0000][size=5][b]•• UPDATE •• Outdoor Trackman Session [/b][/size][/color]

Feedback added to the original post on page 1... I am exhausted!

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

I'm going to add more tomorrow but great work!

Remember with shafts .2 vs .3 how and when you load the shaft determines the benefit for the player. Some players with a different transition could get opposite results. TITLEIST performed as expected. Cally too. The rfx is not as hot but should flight lower and spin slightly less than the xhp. The two dot is a ?????

Back to shafts - they are personal. It sounds like you benefit from a stiffer butt/tip profile. Whereas someone else with the same swing speed and different transition may need something else.

Now find the head you like - then match the shaft to it!

After reading your write up, I think you will go with the following:

Driver: Nike VR Ltd
3 wood: XHP or Stage 2

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1363325064' post='6615457']
The results are blurred yet obvious, play the setup that hits the most fairways and that you consistently hit the best. Unless you are thirsting for distance, all golfers should do the same.
[/quote]

Spot on. Chased the wrong thing for too long myself.

Nice work and thanks for run down! I too find that when I get on any monitor I suddenly start chasing those 'perfect' numbers and rarely does that 'perfect' combo work on the course (for me at least). There is no substitute for real world experience!

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

[quote name='KPH808' timestamp='1363332981' post='6615609']
After reading your write up, I think you will go with the following:

Driver: Nike VR Ltd
3 wood: XHP or Stage 2
[/quote]

Nope.. I'm OCD about having the driver and 3 wood be the same brand :) But if you were to ask what won the Trackman session, those would be correct. I haven't added the on-course write ups yet because I want another round in with the Callaways. Going by what's happening on the course, the Nike's will be my backups.

[quote name='Johnny T' timestamp='1363352754' post='6616111']
Nice work and thanks for run down! I too find that when I get on any monitor I suddenly start chasing those 'perfect' numbers and rarely does that 'perfect' combo work on the course (for me at least). There is no substitute for real world experience!
[/quote]

That is exactly what happened to me there. Luckily by the time I got home the "Trackman effect" had worn off and I was able to filter that out and take the information that I felt was actually relevant and associate that info to what I have been seeing on the course.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

The results are blurred yet obvious, play the setup that hits the most fairways and that you consistently hit the best. Unless you are thirsting for distance, all golfers should do the same.
[/quote]

And too be honest, that is the reason the 913's are a wild card in this. I hit them well, they look good, go straight, and distance is not too far off. Sure the ball speeds are not there compared to the other setups, but on the course I'm probably not leaving much on the table when I'm in the fairway as opposed to the rough (or worse) :)

That Adams LS XTD with Kiyoshi Black was no joke.. that really has me thinking as well.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Great write up! Can't wait for the on course write up!

I hope the extra round with the XHP's goes well. I'm pulling for them for some reason (it's probably because I'm going to pick up an XHP driver soon and will need a new shaft for it).

Nike CT 2.0 10.5*- Fuji Pro 63x
Nike CP 2.0 15*- Fuji Pro TS 73X
Ping Anser 20*- RIP Alpha 105x
Ping i20 4-PW - KBS TourV 130x
Titleist SM5 52*F, 56*F, 60*K - KBS 130x
Scotty Cameron Squareback

[quote name='DeeKK' timestamp='1363359196' post='6616697']
Great write up! Can't wait for the on course write up!

I hope the extra round with the XHP's goes well. I'm pulling for them for some reason (it's probably because I'm going to pick up an XHP driver soon and will need a new shaft for it).
[/quote]

Thanks for the comments! I will post my initial on course thoughts later this weekend. I have 5+ rounds in with the TM stuff, and will have 3-4 rounds in with the XHP's after this weekend. There's a huge difference between hitting 100 balls with 3 wood and driver on a Trackman and hitting a tight tree lined tee shot with a 3 wood lol! XHP's have been very solid on the course with almost no "learning curve" to get used to them.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Did you get assistance from the folks at Club Fix at Strawberry Farms? I think I see the red barn in the background.

Nice write up...I wanna see those numbers in person!

:drinks:

[indent=1]M2 Atmos Black[/indent]
[indent=1]M2 Speeder[/indent]
[indent=1]Ping G Tensei Blue[/indent]
[indent=1]p790 Modus 130[/indent]
[indent=1]O-Works Red 7s
Z Star XV[/indent]

[/quote]

you had asked me a while ago about the 913d3 - and how i was liking it (as i owned it quietly). i was impressed but not sold. i know that with titleist my numbers are just a little off - not quite as hot, spin just a little too much, etc... but i was hoping to gain that in dispersion. for me it didn't happen. i was hoping that it did. perhaps all of us have that company/oem that may not produce the best number, but it just goes straight. perhaps PING could be that company for me after talking with J.W.

btw... you are so spot on with chasing numbers. TRACKMAN is an incredible tool - but sometimes can be a detriment if.... distance is your only goal. that is where finding a fitter with you in mind is KEY.

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1363362771' post='6617057']
[/quote]

you had asked me a while ago about the 913d3 - and how i was liking it (as i owned it quietly). i was impressed but not sold. i know that with titleist my numbers are just a little off - not quite as hot, spin just a little too much, etc... but i was hoping to gain that in dispersion. for me it didn't happen. i was hoping that it did. perhaps all of us have that company/oem that may not produce the best number, but it just goes straight. perhaps PING could be that company for me after talking with J.W.

btw... you are so spot on with chasing numbers. TRACKMAN is an incredible tool - but sometimes can be a detriment if.... distance is your only goal. that is where finding a fitter with you in mind is KEY.
[/quote]

I have to agree that the 913 woods are not the longest, no slouch but not the longest. I found the D3 to be a good 5 yards passed my D2 when I nut it. Superfast 2.0 is longer than anything. There is simply no denying that I hit the center of the face more, misses are better and I am just overall more consistent with the D2 than anything else. I'm cool leaving a few yards on the table to hit the fairway a few extra times in the round or to have my misses in the rough rather than the trees.

After hitting all the woods that Pure did, I will say that the 913's look, sound and feel better than anything hands down. I don't know why all these OEM's are going after the metallic, high pitch sound. I can't even stand to hit the R1 as the sound is just too high. The closest contender would be the RFX. Much different feel and sound than the 913's but very very good. I think I have 2 dozen balls with the RFX and a few shafts and that thing is legit. Low spin, flat flight, nice "bubble" shape and muted sound.

One thing that I have picked up from getting custom fit is that the BEST fitters focus more on your misses than your good balls. When you have a driver setup optimal for you in regards to launch, spin, AoD, good is going to be good. But bad can be ok or it can be BAD. The key is to find the setup that is good for good and okay for bad. I think that is why Pure is making a smart move by settling this thing on course.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1363364619' post='6617249']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I have to agree that the 913 woods are not the longest, no slouch but not the longest. I found the D3 to be a good 5 yards passed my D2 when I nut it. Superfast 2.0 is longer than anything. There is simply no denying that I hit the center of the face more, misses are better and I am just overall more consistent with the D2 than anything else. I'm cool leaving a few yards on the table to hit the fairway a few extra times in the round or to have my misses in the rough rather than the trees.

After hitting all the woods that Pure did, I will say that the 913's look, sound and feel better than anything hands down. I don't know why all these OEM's are going after the metallic, high pitch sound. I can't even stand to hit the R1 as the sound is just too high. The closest contender would be the RFX. Much different feel and sound than the 913's but very very good. I think I have 2 dozen balls with the RFX and a few shafts and that thing is legit. Low spin, flat flight, nice "bubble" shape and muted sound.

One thing that I have picked up from getting custom fit is that the BEST fitters focus more on your misses than your good balls. When you have a driver setup optimal for you in regards to launch, spin, AoD, good is going to be good. But bad can be ok or it can be BAD. The key is to find the setup that is good for good and okay for bad. I think that is why Pure is making a smart move by settling this thing on course.
[/quote]

+1 Well said Scratch. Fairways = better scores

Always Changing!!!

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Very well said. The fact of the matter is that nothing is really blowing me away in terms of drivers, yet. In the 3 wood category, two definitely stand out, the XHP and RBZ Stage 2. Performance for both of them simply cannot be matched by my Nike. They are both longer and both much easier to hit. I'm thinking of bringing the RFE's into the mix because I love the looks and feel. Call me crazy, but the 913's are far from out of this race. The Trackman definitely gave me some good information - now I just need to use it to narrow my focus and find the best overall performer.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

I say toss the Speeder's (.2 or .3, pick ur poison) in the VR Ltd's and run w it
willing to bet its the best option of them all

or at the VERY LEAST, try them out for a test run

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1363371594' post='6618001']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Very well said. The fact of the matter is that nothing is really blowing me away in terms of drivers, yet. In the 3 wood category, two definitely stand out, the XHP and RBZ Stage 2. Performance for both of them simply cannot be matched by my Nike. They are both longer and both much easier to hit. I'm thinking of bringing the RFE's into the mix because I love the looks and feel. Call me crazy, but the 913's are far from out of this race. The Trackman definitely gave me some good information - now I just need to use it to narrow my focus and find the best overall performer.
[/quote]

If you went RFE driver, would you do X Hot 3 wood? Or would you go extreme to the max and also get the 3 wood?