'Tweener needs help upgrading G15 irons: i20 vs H4 vs G25 vs CB3

ogrehack

I think I'm a 'tweener & getting the itch to upgrade my irons. With the G15s, after lessons, GHIN index dropped from 24 to 13, hoping to reach singles by end of year. Iron play/ball-striking improving but still most inconsistent part of game. I don't dislike the G15s, but am starting to understand & enjoy trying to work the ball, so thinking a 'tweener set might help. Make sense?

For me, look/sound/feel & accuracy more important than distance. Hard to tell in-store, but standouts include i20, G25 and H4. Adams CB3s felt good (forged) & I liked the price point. AP1, XHot, JPX825 & Rocketbladez felt no different than G15s. AP2, XHotPro, Rocketbladez Tour seemed like too much for my game. Can't explain it, but 825Pros just did not feel good in my hands.

Will the i20s or H4 hurt or help my game? G25s look/felt great, but seem like a lateral move. Surprised by how much I liked CB3s, but not sure if too much for my game. Suggestions?

Titleist 910D2 Kali'i Stiff 10.5
4-Wood: TM Superfast 2.0 Stiff 16.5 deg
Hybrids: TM Rescue Dual Reg 19 & 23
Ping G25 5-U KBS Tour Reg
Wedges: 588 forged 56 & 60
Odyssey 2ball SRT (from Costco

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='sodbuster' timestamp='1365962365' post='6839525']
Handicap alone is pretty hard to go by. There could be a 13 hndcper that could be a really good iron player that either cant get off the tee or cant putt. How would you break down your iron play? For example, im a 6 and would be closer to scratch without penalty strokes with my driver.
[/quote]Thanks for reply. I'm probably opposite, ok short game and off the tee. Iron play more iffy, maybe 50% of shots on the sweet spot, though much improved from when was 20+. Scores drop dramatically when my iron play's on (lower 80s), less obvious when long/short game's on.

I guess, my main question, and I know even some pro's play G15/G20 irons, am I really a 'tweener or dead-center in GI iron range? Part of me [i]wants [/i]to think I can handle 'better' clubs, but maybe I'm fooling myself???

Sorry, but changing clubs will likely increase your scores, not improve them. Ping G-series clubs are some of the best ever made for people that don't strike the ball as consistently as they like.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1365965709' post='6840023']
Sorry, but changing clubs will likely increase your scores, not improve them. Ping G-series clubs are some of the best ever made for people that don't strike the ball as consistently as they like.
[/quote]Exactly.

To be frank, why the focus on working the ball?

Focus should be on dropping the scores and not working the ball.

I wouldn't make the change at all until you're consistently in the single digits.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

Thanks for the replies everyone. All excellent points.

And, coincidentally had a great day hitting the G15s today, even down to the longer irons (4-5), which isn't usual. Hit more GIRs than normal after working a bit on the swing (1-piece takeaway & grip). Was even able to work the ball a small bit (left-right & hi-low), with simple stance/setup changes.

So, after today's round & everyone's advice, decided to keep the G15s in the bag! My pocketbook thanks you! :)

But, as my swing improves, what's a sign the G15s are holding my game back? Have only read the fat sole may cause flyers out of tight lies.

[quote name='cinderellaboy' timestamp='1365975846' post='6841793']
Stick with the G15s and upgrade your wedges beyond the W or even beyond the 9i. The G15 is such a great iron, so consistent and forgiving. For a mid handicapper that is worth so much more than any workability. Just my 2 cents.
[/quote]Good point. Already have my trusty 56 & 60 wedges (Cleveland 588 forged). Now that I'm keeping the irons, now considering the G15 U/gap, which woulda helped during today's round.

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1365965709' post='6840023']
[/quote]Hate to admit it, but 'yes' I'm coming to that realization, just needed to hear it from others. I guess a part of me was hoping to get my ego stroked on WRX, with everyone greenlighting a new iron purchase.

[quote name='Golfdoctor' timestamp='1365984667' post='6843867']
I have the G15's and love them, but I like the looks of the G25's with the narrow soles and beveled edge. Waiting on the S55's to come out and decide what I want to do then.
[/quote]Not considering i20s or waiting for i25s?

I'll echo the others who recommend sticking with G15's (or go with the G25s) and agree with your choice. As someone who used i20's for a season and loved them, I am moving to the 25's after trying them out for the extra help and launch.

For whatever reason, flush shots felt better (to me, I'm sure not many people would say that) with the G25s and the overall performance was superior - I'm not a high ball hitter and these fly a touch higher which I didn't know I wanted until I hit balls side by side with each model.

The forgiveness is off the charts as with the others in the G series even though that of the i20s' is pretty significant - I'll be honest in that the aesthetics and my ego were probably what kept me from playing the 15/20s in the first place, though. If your swing improves, then what would you need more versatile/workable irons for?. It's not that you can't move the ball with these irons...the thinner effective sole probably does help with that if it's a concern. Knockdowns aren't impossible with these, and you can hit the ball even higher if you want to.

Cheers and enjoy!

I would cross the G25's off the list. They aren't anymore forgiving or workable than the G15's. Honestly the only reason to take the 25's over the 15's is because you prefer the finish and the smaller footprint, the performance is identical and I think it would be a struggle to justify spending that much money on clubs that won't perform any better than the ones that you already have. Just my 2 cents of course. They're great clubs, but I think the G series was pretty much maxed out as far as forgiveness is concerned a few iterations ago

I've been watching this thread as well. I've pretty much ruled out giving up my G15's. The only reason I'd consider it now is if there is a shaft out there that would give me better performance. I'm hitting the AWT stiff shaft now and always wonder if maybe my shots are ballooning a bit. I need to hit the G25's side by side with the other shafts from the fitting cart to figure it out. Plus, I really want to see the i25's before making any final decisions.

I'm a 6 hcp that should be a 4, but can get into trouble from the tee, then follow up with bad decisions.

I went from Hogans to i5, thought I needed something more player like and went to i10. Should have stuck with the i5.

This season I specifically hunted down some G15s, because of their great rep. I'm tired of wondering if there is a club out there to give me that last bit of forgiveness or those extra one or two GIRs.

The G15 irons don't hold me back in any way. With a solid swing and the right shaft, they are money makers. The biggest trouble I have is filling wedge gaps, because I don't like carrying 3 beyond my PW. I'll be putting in a lot of time hitting partial shots with the PW and getting my layups in range for my 53*.

I would submit, the better you get, the less you should think of switching. As your game improves you will find it easier to play any club. You can work a G15 like any iron with the proper mechanics. You can hit off a tight lie with the proper mechanics. When you get solidly into single digits, it is collecting easy 2 putt pars that will keep your round going. Why not make it easier to hit the green?

Anser 8.5* Phenom 50s
CB2 16.5* Epic, HDI 19* 23* Phenom 1
I20 5-GW c-taper 120s
Eye2 XG SW & LW
Ketsch 34" Flatso Ultra
https://www.gamegolf.com/player/Burns

I have given up looking for something better than my G15 irons. I am play to a six HC. I have tried other irons, but none have given me the feeling I get when I execute with my G15s. I don't think I will ever get tired of launching laser straight iron shots that land softly on the green providing me with a decent shot a birdie. Not looking for new irons frees me up to do other things too.

Odyssey Tank #7
PING Glide Wedges 54, 58
PING G15 5-UW KBS C-Taper Lite
PING G25 Hybrid 20 & 23
PING K15 3W
PING G20 Driver

A set of irons that fit your body and your swing are not capable of "holding back your game". And irons as modern and well designed as Ping G15's that would be true even up to the highest levels of the game. The only reasons to switch are if you wear them out (takes a while), get the itch to buy something new (happens to all of us) or they never suited you in the first place (which you'd have known long ago if it were true). If you get so good you're shooting 68's and 69's with G15 irons there is zero chance that you'd be shooting 65's and 66's instead if you just had "players" irons. Zero chance.

I just went from g15s to i20s. Picked up about half club of distance. Accuracy is the same. I20s look so much better too.

Btw, both have CFS stiff shafts.

Taylormade M1 10.5*
Callaway GBB Epic 15*
Callaway XR 19*
Taylormade p790 5-P,A
Titleist Vokey SM6 54*, 58*, 60*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 3
Srixon Z Star

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1366044827' post='6849457']
A set of irons that fit your body and your swing are not capable of "holding back your game". And irons as modern and well designed as Ping G15's that would be true even up to the highest levels of the game. The only reasons to switch are if you wear them out (takes a while), get the itch to buy something new (happens to all of us) or they never suited you in the first place (which you'd have known long ago if it were true). If you get so good you're shooting 68's and 69's with G15 irons there is zero chance that you'd be shooting 65's and 66's instead if you just had "players" irons. Zero chance.
[/quote]

THIS!!!!! For some reason a lot of golfers are wired this way. (I've been there in the past myself) We start improving and somehow think our equipment is 'holding us back' and that we need a different club to 'take us to the next level'. Odds are there are players with a lot lower handicap playing the same irons. It's unlikely the clubs are holding the OP back unless they are aren't fit correctly.

Now if someone wants wants new clubs because that's part of their enjoyment of the game, it makes total sense. Or if they just prefer a different style of club, I can understand. But the G series is good for any level of player that wants to play them.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I have my Titleist DCI iron set (2-PW) along with a Titleist driver and 5-wood plus two Vokey wedges and an Acushnet Bullseye putter. All in a Titleist bag. Pretty cool, huh? Haven't touched them in three months since getting the G20's.

I also have a 1951 set of Macgregor "Jimmy Demaret" blades (2-9), putter (10-iron), persimmon woods (1,2,3,5) and a Macgregor wedge from the 1960's. I pull those out for a couple rounds to remind myself of the days when men were men and a golf club did not necessarily get the ball off the ground with a poor swing.

There's a lot to be said for being able to go "closet shopping" for a change of pace instead of being tempted to buy new stuff...

CB3s are great clubs, forgiving and cheap. Much easier to look at than G series too.

But, I depends if you want "score improvement clubs" = GIs like G series, CB3s etc or "swing improvement clubs" = player's CBs, blades etc

I was a similar handicap to you last year. Harder to hit clubs have me focus more and now I am hitting better shots and my HC has dropped to about an 8. Depends on your goal as to which to buy. I knew I have swing flaws and wanted to working on better contact. So I got something more demanding to force me to learn. Eventually my scores started reflecting that.

[quote name='portland' timestamp='1366046167' post='6849667']
I just went from g15s to i20s. Picked up about half club of distance. Accuracy is the same. I20s look so much better too.

[/quote]

Responses like this always leave me scratching my head. I never get extra distance from one set to another. What am I doing wrong? I never get extra distance between drivers either.

For me, i20's were slightly shorter than G20/25, presumably because the lofts are weaker. The difference was insignificant though. The i20's would have to spin less if they are to fly farther, and spinning less is not something I want from my irons. It's not like I'm spinning them off the front of the green or anything.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1366049817' post='6850239']
[quote name='portland' timestamp='1366046167' post='6849667']

[/quote]

Responses like this always leave me scratching my head. I never get extra distance from one set to another. What am I doing wrong? I never get extra distance between drivers either.

For me, i20's were slightly shorter than G20/25, presumably because the lofts are weaker. The difference was insignificant though. The i20's would have to spin less if they are to fly farther, and spinning less is not something I want from my irons. It's not like I'm spinning them off the front of the green or anything.
[/quote]

I am the same way. It seems like iron distances would mostly be impacted by loft, length and type of shaft. But apples to apples shots that are flushed should travel about the same distance. I always thought of forgiveness as giving more distance to mishits than overall distance. For example, a ball caught a bit on the toe on a forgiving iron may lose 5 yards and be on the front right side of the green...and a less forgiving club may be 15 yards short in a bunker.

But I never thought of more pure distance.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

[quote name='SHORTBUTSTR8' timestamp='1366048636' post='6850039']
CB3s are great clubs, forgiving and cheap. Much easier to look at than G series too.

But, I depends if you want "score improvement clubs" = GIs like G series, CB3s etc or "swing improvement clubs" = player's CBs, blades etc

I was a similar handicap to you last year. Harder to hit clubs have me focus more and now I am hitting better shots and my HC has dropped to about an 8. Depends on your goal as to which to buy. I knew I have swing flaws and wanted to working on better contact. So I got something more demanding to force me to learn. Eventually my scores started reflecting that.
[/quote]

It's interesting how the psychological part of the game differs between golfers.

For you, having a more demanding club makes you focus more on the shot. For me, it's all about having a club that gives me the most confidence to execute a shot. When I have a 177 yard approach into a narrow target area with trouble surrounding the green, I'd rather have a club that I trust will give me a decent result...even if I'm slightly off on my swing. Others want a club that makes them focus on making a great pass at the ball. My normal golf partner is wired that way. Neither is right or wrong, just different.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

I just picked up the CB3's and couldn't be happier. I don't think you could go wrong with them at the prices they are going for on eBay. I'm coming from a 7 year old set of Adams and these are very forgiving and the KBS shafts seem to get the ball up in a hurry even on mishits. If your just looking for something new and is a little thinner looking the CB3's would be a good choice.