2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

JW's Adams DHy review

Dizz

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1375668314' post='7605134']
J.... Yes distance wise do they bunch up?

DHy with Rome looks sweet.
[/quote]

My 21 and 24 don't they are seperated by about 10-15 yds for me. Not sure about the 18 and 21 yet. I do know that I hit the crap out of the 21 off the tee. ONce I get the 18 on the course I'll figure it out and let ya know.

The Veylix Rome looks great in the head can't wait to get it out.

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple  8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

TM Qi10 15* / Project X HZRDUS Black 8X        

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel ARRAY F3 w/ 3 line alignment

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just picked up the 18* today and traded in the trusty old 5 wood. For me I mostly use 5-wood and down almost exclusively off the tee and I've been going back and forth between a 5 wood and a 2 Iron. The 18* DHY was more consistent dispersion wise than the 5 wood and much more forgiving and easier hit than the 2 iron. And as a bonus it's much longer than both of them. I can hit a 2 iron maybe 240-255 depending in the roll and the 5 wood 250-260. But the DHY (when hit on the screws) puts up some gawdy numbers. On average the total distance was about 275 but the misshits with this club still go 230-240. So I can't wait to get this on the course, it's definitely going to be the new fairway finder.

Callaway BBA DBD 816 8* - Project X LZ20 7.0 70
Cobra Bio Cell Plus 13.5* - Project X Tour Issue 8A2
Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5* - Project X Tour Issue 8A2
Taylormade RSI TP 3 Iron - Nippon Super Peening Blue X / Nike Vapor Fly Pro 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Tour 115S
Mizuno MP-59 - 4-PW - Nippon Super Peening Blue X
Taylormade TP R Series - 50* & Callaway Mack Daddy 2 - 55* & 60* - Nippon Super Peening Blue X
Scotty Cameron Golo 3 - Superstroke Slim 3.0

First round with the 21* DHy today after 3 range sessions. I had been really impressed with well struck shots on the range but couldn't tell if I was sold on miss hits yet and that was a big concern. After today's round, I'm loving this club for mishits as much as the good shots. Struggled with my swing early but everything seemed to end up 210ish in the fairway. Caught 1 on the toe and it produced a high 210 yd draw. Caught 1 thin and it ran out low to 210. Caught 1 fat and it popped up and cake down, you guessed it, 210 in the fairway. Once I found my swing and started hitting it well, I found myself in places normally reserved for perfect 19* hybrid shots hit down wind. I put some really horrible swings on tee shots today and still scraped together a respectable 74. Had I been teeing of with my normal hybrid, I would have been an easy 5 strokes higher. If you are on the fence about this one, I'd suggest you pull the trigger.

I've had mine a few weeks now and am more impressed than ever. I pulled my old 2 iron and am thinking about dropping the 3 wood and adding another wedge. This 18 is a good 240 club with average roll for me. I'm a 105 driver SS guy. I really like it out of a so-so lie in the light rough. I could never hit my old 2 out of these lies. All in all the best addition to my set this year.

Callaway 816 DBD 9 w/Tour AD TP 6S
XHOT2 4W w/Tour Green 75S
Xhot 2 PRO 23 hybrid w/AD DI 95S
Apex 20 hybrid with AD Di 95S
MP18 Fli Hi 2 iron w AD DI 95S
MP18 SC 5 and 6 iron with PXLZ 6.0
MP18 PW-7 irons with PXLZ 6.0
S18 Wedges 52 and 58 Gunmetal with PXLZ 6.0
Bettinardi QB6 putter

Anybody have experience with G20 vs dHy??

G20 was as close to a driving iron style hybrid as I could find available for testing when I went 13/14 Ping this year.

On the whole, I like the performance of g20 20* hybrid but the offset does cause me hit a little bit more of a hooky draw. These definitely seem to have LESS offset. Just wondering how similar the trajectory would be in the 21* dHy.

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

Personally I think you can flight this club however you like, I've hit this low/high and everywhere in between. I would not classify this a point and shoot style of club, it likes to be manipulated if that makes sense...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

[quote name='Big Ben' timestamp='1375978867' post='7632658']
Personally I think you can flight this club however you like, I've hit this low/high and everywhere in between. I would not classify this a point and shoot style of club, it likes to be manipulated if that makes sense...BB
[/quote]
I agree. Needed to hit a low cut out of the trees yesterday. Would have had no chance with a hybrid and my 4 iron wouldn't have been enough club. Didn't make the best swing but put it in the greenside bunker.

Loving mine still. It's wonderful to have a hybrid that I can trust isn't going to go left off the tee. I find that it will punish you a bit on heel misses distance-wise, but I'll take that over being punished on swings that feel good like with most hybrids I've played. The Kuro Kage has been a bit of a revelation, too. I liked it so much in my DHy that I put one in my driver, and I've been impressed with it in there so far, too.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

After playing with it for over a week I can honestly say I'm VERY happy with the shots that were well struck. This thing really is a beast. I still haven't quite figured it out yet in terms of what swing to put on it. But today I spooked a rude middle aged two-some (who preceded to hack everywhere in front of me while I stood on the tee box for 10 minutes per hole, instead of letting me play through) when I drove the 18* DHY 5 yards short of the green on slightly downhill 305 yrd par 4. The woman acted as if I missed her face by half an inch when in reality it rolled 70 plus yards and stopped slowly. But anyways! When hit out the middle this club does perform quite well, it's about as long as my 3 wood for crying out loud. That said you can still work it both ways and misshits will still keep you in play and travel much further than a traditional long iron on mis-craps.

Callaway BBA DBD 816 8* - Project X LZ20 7.0 70
Cobra Bio Cell Plus 13.5* - Project X Tour Issue 8A2
Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5* - Project X Tour Issue 8A2
Taylormade RSI TP 3 Iron - Nippon Super Peening Blue X / Nike Vapor Fly Pro 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Tour 115S
Mizuno MP-59 - 4-PW - Nippon Super Peening Blue X
Taylormade TP R Series - 50* & Callaway Mack Daddy 2 - 55* & 60* - Nippon Super Peening Blue X
Scotty Cameron Golo 3 - Superstroke Slim 3.0

I have had some time with this on the course and a fair amount of time at the range, I honestly think this is the best club ever made for me. I never say things like that either. The shaft is garbage for me, stock white tie X flex, just way too light (85-90 grams) for a 2 iron in my opinion. I'm thinking about putting a steelfiber 110 X in it. The only thing I find a little strange with the club is that my trajectory is more inconsistent than any other club I have ever hit. It doesn't dratamatically effect the distance, but it is a little odd because I don't have that problem with any other club. Sometimes I hit a lower bullet and other times I will hit it super high and both shots will feel flush. I really need to get something heavier that I can feel in my backswing, but other than that this club is amazing. The confidence at address is great, I love the way it looks at address and I initially thought the club looked pretty ugly in the first pics we saw of this club. The distance is incredible. I've never hit a club this far that I felt like I could hit the fairway with every time. By the way I have the 18* dhy. I had to write something about this club considering how much I am enjoying. Truly an amazing club for me.

TaylorMade 2016 M1 460 9.5 Matrix Ozik RUL 70X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 iron Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White Hybrid 100 TX
Ping G400 3-Hybrid Graphite Design Tour AD DI Hybrid 105 X
Ping i 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 125X
Ping Glide 50SS & 56SS Nippon C10S
Titleist Vokey Low Bounce K 60 Nippon Modus 3 125 X
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black

I would LOVE to try this with a heavier shaft. It really does feel like an absolute feather. I don't understand because my g20 hybrid feels much heavier despite having a lighter shaft AND listed stock sw. Very peculiar. Unfortunately, for me, I'm just not a high enough spin player for most of these driving irons which is an absolute shame because I feel so much more confident with this kind of shape. My dispersion was fantastic, didn't miss more than 15 feet offline when I caught it anywhere close to center. I tested the 21* model in stock white tie stiff, and the descent angle was coming in at around 32* to 36* which is way too hot to hold a green for me. Still thinking it over for a fairway finding club for courses with 8 or so 400 yd n under par 4s.

[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

How easy is this club to hit off the deck? Ive played around with the club quite a bit at golf galaxy and it feels great but haven't been able to try one on the course. Looking for something to replace my 19 degree hybrid

Bio Cell +
TEE XCG7 3 wood
Adams DHY 21
Adams CMB 4-Gw
Vokey SM4 54, 58 deg
Odyssey Tank #7

Playing this morning, about 55 degrees (this was at about 8:15, any it's been getting pretty cold at night this week), 235 to the flag, with a slight breeze into me, so I figured I wouldn't be able to get it there, but there was no real trouble right in front of the green, except for a bunker that's really not a big problem to get out of. Long can be bad, and taking a little off a 3 wood isn't a strong shot of mine, so I figured I may as well give it a shot. Gave it a big turn and absolutely flushed it. Just a piercing shot with a little 5 yard draw, and it carried the bunker, hit the front of the green and rolled to the middle, about 30 feet away (pin was back and left, so total distance I hit it was probably 230 give or take a yard). This just simply isn't a shot I could hit with any other hybrid I've ever used, because putting a big, aggressive swing on it like I did would usually end up going left. I actually played this shot to draw more than it did, because I'm still learning to trust it,

Mine has a 95g Kuro Kage in it, which isn't all that much heavier than the stock White Tie, but I do like the feel and performance of this shaft better. Not sure if the weight has anything to do with that, but it might be a factor.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='schulzea' timestamp='1376615526' post='7684862']
How easy is this club to hit off the deck? Ive played around with the club quite a bit at golf galaxy and it feels great but haven't been able to try one on the course. Looking for something to replace my 19 degree hybrid
[/quote]
Easier than a 2 iron, but harder than a hybrid. You need to hit it solidly, or you'll see some squirrely shots, but if you're a decent ball striker with a fair amount of club head speed (I'd say 100 mph driver SS would be necessary to hit the 18* effectively -- higher lofts would need a little less), you should be fine.

Agree with 3 Jack Par on forgiveness, and on the need for some level of swingspeed. I was one of the people who initially complained about the DHY here, but I had been hitting the 18 degree with stiff shaft. Just don't have the swing for the 18 unfortunately, especially with the stiff shaft.

Ultimately sold the club and found a 21 degree with reg flex--and love it. It's taken over the '200 yard club' slot from my 7 wood.

Now considering the 24 and/or 27 degree...

I'm so on the fence with this stick. FOR ME, it just doesn't spin enough to hold a green unless the green is 60+ feet deep. It is MUCH flatter than my hybrid. Still thinking about picking 21* up for a situational fairway finder to switch out with my 20* hybrid on short layouts with several 400 yd and under par 4s.

Again, FOR ME, it is not an extremely versatile club, but I am in LOVE with the shape and look. And if I put a semi decent strike on the ball with it, dispersion is very tight.

[quote name='willboyrd' timestamp='1376653773' post='7686638']
I'm so on the fence with this stick. FOR ME, it just doesn't spin enough to hold a green unless the green is 60+ feet deep. It is MUCH flatter than my hybrid. Still thinking about picking 21* up for a situational fairway finder to switch out with my 20* hybrid on short layouts with several 400 yd and under par 4s.

Again, FOR ME, it is not an extremely versatile club, but I am in LOVE with the shape and look. And if I put a semi decent strike on the ball with it, dispersion is very tight.
[/quote]
I'd definitely agree that the 18* does fly pretty low, and it's not like more wood-like hybrids where there's more mass in the sole to help get the ball up. And it's not going to hit and stop right away most of the time. The times when I've hit the green with it, the ball has rolled out 20-40 feet. (just to give you an idea, my driver SS is around 112-115) However, I think that it is possible to flight it higher, based on the little bit I've played with it on the range. It takes more of a descending iron type of swing to hit it higher.

But, for the function it performs in my bag (accurate driving club when I need more than an iron, and don't feel comfortable with Driver/3 wood, and approach club on par 5s, where I'm just trying to get it up around the green, and if it ends up on, it's a bonus), it's perfect. I don't know if it's really possible to find a club that performs both as a low bomber off the tee, and as a high, soft, long approach club, so it's really up to each person to determine what is more important, because there's a tradeoff.

I picked up a 21* with the white tie X and since day one has been a great club. Even with the white tie that doesnt fit shaft profile (black ties in my driver and 3 wood) it still cuts thru the wind better and about the same distance as my 19* adams super ss hybrid with a project x hybrid shaft. Im now thinking of putting a c taper in it just to get a little lower launch and less spin so I can get a few more yards when i use it off the tee. Im also taking out my 24* hybrid and 5 iron to replace it with the 27* dhy. I have used those 2 clubs 5 times at most this year

Aeroburner tour issue 9.5 Aldila NL60tx
Aeroburner mini 14* tour issue Aldila NL70tx
Jetspeed Proto 18* Aldila NL80tx
Adams LSP 16* Aldila Tour Green 85tx
Rsi 2. 5-PW Aldila RIP 115s
Vokey TVD SM5 M grind 50*, 54* and 60*
Ping Ketsch heavy

I hit one of these at Golfsmith to see what the fuss was about. My first few swings with a stiff shafted 21* were straight down the center line. I'm generally not a fan of hybrids mainly based on their shape, but the DHy felt really, really good; so good in fact that I didn't want to stop hitting it even though the stiff is a little weak for me. I stepped on a few and saw the distance jump approximately 20 yds and the shots were still within a few yards of the center line, if it caught one a little out on the toe it landed about the original distance I was hitting it. The DHy seemed so easy to hit that looks may not be that big of a deal and the only bad shots were solely my fault. I have to get one of these on the course to see how it performs on real turf, but for now I'm not sure which direction to go with a 3i replacement: the DHy, Super 9031, utility iron, Anser, etc.

Cobra LTDx LS Diamana B 70
TEE CB4 Tour 15° Attas T2
SLDR 3H Speeder HB 9.8

Honma TW 737 P 4 iron
Honma TR 20V 5-PW PX LS
Vokey SM7 52° & 58°
Tour Issue Toulon Austin

[quote]
I'd definitely agree that the 18* does fly pretty low, and it's not like more wood-like hybrids where there's more mass in the sole to help get the ball up. And it's not going to hit and stop right away most of the time. The times when I've hit the green with it, the ball has rolled out 20-40 feet. (just to give you an idea, my driver SS is around 112-115) However, I think that it is possible to flight it higher, based on the little bit I've played with it on the range. It takes more of a descending iron type of swing to hit it higher.

But, for the function it performs in my bag (accurate driving club when I need more than an iron, and don't feel comfortable with Driver/3 wood, and approach club on par 5s, where I'm just trying to get it up around the green, and if it ends up on, it's a bonus), it's perfect. I don't know if it's really possible to find a club that performs both as a low bomber off the tee, and as a high, soft, long approach club, so it's really up to each person to determine what is more important, because there's a tradeoff.
[/quote]

You are 100% correct, which is why I'm still considering it for that function, as fairway finding driving iron, on medium length courses playing very firm or on short-ish courses in any condition. I'd have to test it first hand outdoors on the course to really gauge it's playability into greens but as that spot in my bag it wouldn't be a huge deal breaker.

One thing that hasn't been discussed too much, and I topic I have NO experience with this club in since I've only indoor tested it, is its playability out of rough. Seems like it'd be extremely difficult to hit out of rough because of basically no camber, completely squared off leading edge.

Again, as a real off the tee driving iron for the mid-spin folks, there ain't a better one out there in my opinion. For a high spin player, a definite must look for a great all around (except maybe out of deeper rough) hybrid.

[quote name='willboyrd' timestamp='1376676919' ]

One thing that hasn't been discussed too much, and I topic I have NO experience with this club in since I've only indoor tested it, is its playability out of rough. Seems like it'd be extremely difficult to hit out of rough because of basically no camber, completely squared off leading edge.
[/quote]
It works pretty well out of a basic lie in the rough--not buried/sitting way down. I would say you're not likely to be able to really dig one out of the thick stuff with one of the lower lofts. A more traditional hybrid might be marginally better from bad lies, if that's a big consideration, but I find that for my game, it's better to lay up with an iron if the alternative is trying to gouge it out with a hybrid.

[quote name='sbjinx' timestamp='1375493873' post='7594710']
[quote name='nick.woods76' timestamp='1375493182' post='7594620']
[quote name='sbjinx' timestamp='1375491434' post='7594502']
[quote name='JayLefty' timestamp='1375490447' post='7594396']
Are you all using the headcover? I am so tired of mine.
[/quote]

I ditched mine. Actually I lost it so yeah, no headcover.
[/quote]

how does the finish hold up on the heads without headcovers? I hate the head cover! Was going to ditch this club but might give it another go this weekend. I do hate the head cover and find it unnecessary but don't want the finish all scratched and chipped
[/quote]

I have a push cart so not bad chatter but a few nicks. Nothing that would cause me to buy a headcover
[/quote]

Gone viking with mine too. Hasn't gotten too dinged up.

I've taken a few stabs out of marginal lies with marginal success unfortunitely, fairways and tees zero problems. I can hit this sucker with pretty much any shot shape and ball flight, very hot and consistant...BB

I am thinking about putting project x pxi 6.0 3 iron shaft on 21 DHy club. The graphite shaft is nice but stiff is too soft and long for me. What do you think? It might be 1/2 inches shorter.

11.5 BRNR Copper & 13.5 BRNR | 19* G430 3H | 22* G430 4H
NL 480-TC 5-PW | MG4 TW 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5
| Pro V1

[quote name='NTKT10' timestamp='1376670932' post='7688272']
I hit one of these at Golfsmith to see what the fuss was about. My first few swings with a stiff shafted 21* were straight down the center line. I'm generally not a fan of hybrids mainly based on their shape, but the DHy felt really, really good; so good in fact that I didn't want to stop hitting it even though the stiff is a little weak for me. I stepped on a few and saw the distance jump approximately 20 yds and the shots were still within a few yards of the center line, if it caught one a little out on the toe it landed about the original distance I was hitting it. The DHy seemed so easy to hit that looks may not be that big of a deal and the only bad shots were solely my fault. I have to get one of these on the course to see how it performs on real turf, but for now I'm not sure which direction to go with a 3i replacement: the DHy, Super 9031, utility iron, Anser, etc.
[/quote]

I'm doing the same thing... it's in the 3i slot. Right now, it's ok but inconsistent. When it's right, it is soooo right. When it's not right, dang I wish I'd have just grabbed my 4i. My problem is that I'm at a gap that needs filling. 204<->245 needs something in there, so right now, that's it. I'm just not having a lot of success with it on these Texas hills. Any kind of not-quite-flat lie, and the results have been poor. User error, but let's not talk about that... :)

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

[quote name='Big Ben' timestamp='1376858064' post='7699872']
I've taken a few stabs out of marginal lies with marginal success unfortunitely, fairways and tees zero problems. I can hit this sucker with pretty much any shot shape and ball flight, very hot and consistant...BB
[/quote]

This very much fits the description of "Driving Iron" as opposed to "versatile 3i replacement". Right there with you, man....

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

Oh, and check out the toe vs your 4i. You're going to be surprised at how fat it is. I just investigated after these comments, and wow. It's plump at the bottom. Now I know why this thing is a gem off the mats, and not so easy on the course...

It's nowhere as good as a "traditional" hybrid out of the long stuff. First cut, maybe, but nothing longer than that. The head isn't heavy enough, nor is the sole wide and cambered enough as someone else mentioned. However, it will still be better than an iron for sure. Anyway, if I'm that far out and in the rough, its unlikely I'm taking a swing at it, even with a traditional hybrid. Although, I recently took my A12 back out on the course and was reminded that it is nice having one of those to hammer through the rough if necessary. The DHy will remain as a tee club primarily for me, and only on specific courses.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='matchavez' timestamp='1376874856' post='7701854']
[quote name='Big Ben' timestamp='1376858064' post='7699872']
[/quote]

This very much fits the description of "Driving Iron" as opposed to "versatile 3i replacement". Right there with you, man....
[/quote]I actually had a much better luck today with a few lies in the rough, you need to treat it like a iron and open the face. It works just need to make good smart swings...BB