2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

JW's Adams DHy review

Dizz

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1373635541' post='7439130']
[quote name='patrick421' timestamp='1373598469' post='7437178']
Has anyone bent these to fit desired loft? For lefties it's only offered in 21 and 18 and I'd like to get something in the 24*. I currently play the 21 so I was thinking of getting a second 21 and having it bent to 23 is that doable?
[/quote]

Go to the store and have them measure all the 21* lefties, if any, and see what the measured lofts are because they might already be weaker. Get the weakest one and have it bent by an experienced club builder. Both 18* that GS measured for me came in at 19* and 1* upright.
[/quote]

Now... what if the bending machine was not calibrated... Lol.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait for mine to arrive... Adams just reloaded in LH heads so it should be here next week. Got the 18* with x stiff shaft. Might replace my current hybrid.

Titleist TSi3, 9.0*/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 75 x stiff;
Titleist TSi2 13.5*/ Mitsubishi Tensei AV Black 85 x stiff;
Titleist U505 3 iron/ PX Hzrdus RDX Smoke 90 x stiff:
Cobra Forged Tec 4- PW/ KBS C Taper 120 stiff/ hard stepped once;
Vokey SM9 50*F/TKBS C Taper 120 x stiff;
Vokey SM8 54*D/ TT DG s200;
Vokey Custom Grind 58*T/ TT DG Tour Issue s400;
Scotty Cameron Monterey 35"; Titleist Pro Pro V1

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1373660429' post='7442786']
Has anyone bent these to fit desired loft? For lefties it's only offered in 21 and 18 and I'd like to get something in the 24*. I currently play the 21 so I was thinking of getting a second 21 and having it bent to 23 is that doable?
[/quote]

Go to the store and have them measure all the 21* lefties, if any, and see what the measured lofts are because they might already be weaker. Get the weakest one and have it bent by an experienced club builder. Both 18* that GS measured for me came in at 19* and 1* upright.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Are these heads bendable?

Titleist TSi3, 9.0*/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 75 x stiff;
Titleist TSi2 13.5*/ Mitsubishi Tensei AV Black 85 x stiff;
Titleist U505 3 iron/ PX Hzrdus RDX Smoke 90 x stiff:
Cobra Forged Tec 4- PW/ KBS C Taper 120 stiff/ hard stepped once;
Vokey SM9 50*F/TKBS C Taper 120 x stiff;
Vokey SM8 54*D/ TT DG s200;
Vokey Custom Grind 58*T/ TT DG Tour Issue s400;
Scotty Cameron Monterey 35"; Titleist Pro Pro V1

[/quote]

[/quote]

Stores here in Naples don't carry them edwinwatts, PGA superstore and Golfsmith zilch. So like the one I already have ill be ordering it. If they can be bent it's a non issue though thanks for the response and hopefully the machine is calibrated properly as JW mentioned!

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Then I'll ship you mine to measure... ? :)

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

I ended up with an 18* after hitting these in GS. I was smashing the 21 demo they had, shaft was a little soft in an S. But for an S, the White Tie is pretty damn stable!

all they had was S flex, but I just got done installing a Matrix Altus White X in it :)

Going to hit it tomorrow. Cant believe how easy it is to hit, and how hot the face was!! On the monitor, in dress close and shoes, SS was 88-90 and ball speed was 128-130.

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 6-U Dynamic Gold Mid

MG4 54/58 DG

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1373674735' post='7444208']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Then I'll ship you mine to measure... ? :)
[/quote]

Lol... who knows if mine is either. If you want to you can...

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

Got the 24 deg right when they came out and didn't like the feel. I hit my JPX 825 Pro just as well but feel was better. Looking back I think it was more the shaft than the head. I hit an 18 deg today with a different shaft (red altus X) and loved it! Getting an 18 tomorrow and putting my Black Ttie in it. Can get a great deal on one my fitter has but it's an S flex. For an 18, it definitely gets the ball in the air so I think I'll be fine with the black tie. If not, I'll find something to go in it. Was trying out a 913 Hd (18 set to 19) with a D+ Xflex and have been hitting it well, but it was hit or miss at times. Today was more miss than hit. DHY was more forgiving and more workable and didn't get the hooks, maybe a pull on a bad swing, but not the hooks. Been through several hybrids this year, some were great, some not, but most were just missing something. I just prefer the look, feel, and length of a long iron. Now I just have to get this thing tuned in and see where my gaps fall and if I need a 3i b/w this and my 4i...

Got a few more chances to hit this guy after I took 3/4" of an inch off it. I had to lob 7" of lead tape on the bottom, but it works. Thing carries about 220-225 for me, which is exactly where I wanted it to be. The nice thing about it, is it's actually surprisingly easy to flight this club. The X Utility I had was the same way, and that was one of the things I liked so much about that club. However, the DHy shines when it comes to forgiveness. Even horrid swings turn out pretty solid, which is key to me when using a club like this. It somehow has all the forgiveness of a hybrid, but the ability to flight the ball like an iron. Knocking down a hybrid isn't exactly in my repertoire, but I can with this guy. Kudos to Adams for this one, and thanks to JW for the solid review to push me over the edge ;)

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='jcfountain33' timestamp='1373686599' post='7445484']
Got the 24 deg right when they came out and didn't like the feel. I hit my JPX 825 Pro just as well but feel was better. Looking back I think it was more the shaft than the head. I hit an 18 deg today with a different shaft (red altus X) and loved it! Getting an 18 tomorrow and putting my Black Ttie in it. Can get a great deal on one my fitter has but it's an S flex. For an 18, it definitely gets the ball in the air so I think I'll be fine with the black tie. If not, I'll find something to go in it. Was trying out a 913 Hd (18 set to 19) with a D+ Xflex and have been hitting it well, but it was hit or miss at times. Today was more miss than hit. DHY was more forgiving and more workable and didn't get the hooks, maybe a pull on a bad swing, but not the hooks. Been through several hybrids this year, some were great, some not, but most were just missing something. I just prefer the look, feel, and length of a long iron. Now I just have to get this thing tuned in and see where my gaps fall and if I need a 3i b/w this and my 4i...
[/quote]

Do you believe it's more forgiving than the 825 pro? Is it just half a club longer?

After two rounds with the 21*, I have to say that I'm not seeing the kind of distance that some of you guys have been talking about. I think I'm either going back to my XTD 19* or possibly trying to trade for an 18*, because the 21 isn't going a lot farther than my 3 iron

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1373906117' post='7458050']
After two rounds with the 21*, I have to say that I'm not seeing the kind of distance that some of you guys have been talking about. I think I'm either going back to my XTD 19* or possibly trying to trade for an 18*, because the 21 isn't going a lot farther than my 3 iron
[/quote]

I hit my 21 deg 3 times off the tee today and smoked it. 230 221 and 249 lol. It's hot... problem is the 24 Deg isnt that far behind so Im going to have a pretty big gap between my 24 deg and 5 iron - im thinking about throwing in S300s in the pair...

So far, two rounds and a couple of range sessions. I havent found a shaft that I like in it yet. Matrix Altus X, didnt like it in this head and PX actually shot the ball out too low.

Going to try a DM 2.0 Hybrid shaft from Accra before I give up on it. Off the tee it has been great but off the deck, not so sure about right now. Not sold on this thing yet, real world is just OK.

Better than my RocketBladez (non-tour) 3 iron, but not better than a 5w or Hybrid.

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 6-U Dynamic Gold Mid

MG4 54/58 DG

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour

After reading through this tread I'm really interested in this club. Im going to try and demo it as soon as possible but was hoping to get some general feedback from some of you guys as to whether it could be a good fit. Currently playing ap1 710 irons stock R flex and have been working really hard on my iron game. Im consistently hitting everything straight or a slight draw, but now when I try to hit my hybrids, which used to be my favorite clubs, it results in a MASSIVE uncontrollable draw. Not the longest player, 7 iron 155, but I like the idea of playing something closer to an iron that is still forgiving. Is this a club you would recommend for me? Would you go R or S flex? Anything to look for when demoing?

D: R9 Supertri 10.5 Harrison Saga S
3W: TEE xcg3 Stiff
H: 19* TM Raylor S, 21* Adams Dhy S
4-P Titleist 710 AP1
52-8 Vokey Oil Can, 58-12 Spin Milled
Odyssey Protype 3-Ball

So far, I've tried a 21* and a 24*, and neither is making the bag. The 21 doesn't go far enough to fill the gap between my 3w and 3i. As for the 24, I am consistently more accurate with my 3 iron, and probably 5 yards longer. If the accuracy was there, I'd look at getting the 24 bent a degree strong, but the performance doesn't justify it for me. I'm still hoping to get my hands on a 18* DHy to try to give me a hybrid replacement that gives me another option off the tee. The downside of my XTD is that I just hook the crap out of it off the tee a lot of the time.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1374109135' post='7477564']
So far, I've tried a 21* and a 24*, and neither is making the bag. The 21 doesn't go far enough to fill the gap between my 3w and 3i. As for the 24, I am consistently more accurate with my 3 iron, and probably 5 yards longer. If the accuracy was there, I'd look at getting the 24 bent a degree strong, but the performance doesn't justify it for me. I'm still hoping to get my hands on a 18* DHy to try to give me a hybrid replacement that gives me another option off the tee. The downside of my XTD is that I just hook the crap out of it off the tee a lot of the time.
[/quote]

Thanks for the review... that's the beauty of WRX in my opinion-- posting TRUTHFUL reviews of equipment whether its on course, on a launch monitor or both. Any idea you can come up with why it didn't work for you? Man, I am still really enjoying mine but you know not every club is gonna work for every player. I've hyped this thing up quite a bit and for no other reason than it just flat out performs for me.

Hopefully you find one that does... I think I'm gonna put ole trusty in the bag here shortly... i20 20 bent to 19 with VTS Black. Keeping the 24 because it goes SO close to the 21 and the i20 gives me a little more room and distance. I think I may try to make a push at a custom Anser hybrid too... LOL.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1374116520' post='7478572']
Any idea you can come up with why it didn't work for you?
[/quote]
Well, the fact that I'm trying to get my hands on an 18 degree DHy speaks to the fact that I see potential in this design. The thing is, I went with the 21 initially, based on the feedback of several people in this thread saying that they were getting a lot more distance than they would have expected from a club of that loft. Going back a couple of years, I was playing 18* and 24* Idea Pro hybrids, and 4-PW. I was never comfortable hitting either hybrid from the tee, due to hooking issues that a lot of higher speed swingers experience with hybrids, so if I really needed a safe tee shot, and distance wasn't too much of an issue, I would hit the 4 iron, which got me out there about 215 if I hit it well (that's about 5-10 extra yards compared to off the deck). Last year, I was chosen to do an editor review of the Nike VRS driver, fairways, and hybrids, and I ended up keeping the hybrid (18*) in the bag all year (driver was in there for a month or two, 3w never had a chance against my 910 Fd). That club was 15 yards longer than my Idea Pro 18*, so I actually dropped the 24* and played with two 18* hybrids for a short stretch early in the year. I had sporadically switched out the 24* for my 3 iron when I was playing a course that I knew required a few layups off the tee, and the course where I play my qualifier for the MI Am has one particular hole where I need a straight tee shot that goes farther than I can hit it with my 4i, as well as another hole where it's a possibility depending on the wind. So, I put it back in for that, and it never left. It goes as far as the 18* Idea Pro hybrid did, and it was a lot more reliable off the tee, and it's especially better on windy days. So, that's basically what the 24* DHy had to beat, and I hit them head to head, and the 3 iron just went longer and straighter on similar swings. The DHy did go higher, but I can't say I've really ever struggled getting the 3i to stop on many greens.
The 21* was a lot closer to making the bag, but it just needs to go about 10 yards farther. It leaves me with about a 30 yard gap from my 3w. I prefer to hit a hybrid on approaches to par 5s, and I want something that I can hit about 240, so I can be in range for that more often, and my success rate trying to take something off a 3w is not great. The 21* comes up about 10 yards short of that, and while it was a little straighter off the tee for me, it was still prone to go left. So, that's why I was thinking that the 18* head is the ticket. If I can keep the distance that I get with my current hybrid, and see some improvement off the tee, I'll make the switch. Again, the fact that I'm still looking to try another loft speaks to the potential I see with these clubs, but I'm still searching for the winning combination.

I played my 21* DHY in high winds the other day and I was amazed by how well this club hits into the wind. Absolutely ZERO ballooning like a hybrid. I had ~200 yds straight into a 2 club wind twice during my rounds and both balls stayed low bounced a couple of times and held the green. Seriously has me a bit baffled!?

Played one of these at the weekend. While it is nice and forgiving, the shaft is dreadful, it just flips the ball up in the air and it comes down like a pitching wedge. I want a driving iron as a club that penetrates and this does not. I do think it may work better with a steel shaft in it.

Driver: PING G430 MAX 10K 9 Mitsubishi Diamana WB 43X
Fairway Wood: PING G430 LST Fujikura Ventus Blue + 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 22 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen6 5-PW Aerotech Steelfiber i95S

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM10 50 F, 54 M, 60 D KBS 610 Wedge R
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 7 CH 34 inches
Ball: Titleist AVX

these must be selling well, I cannot find them anywhere in my area

G430 Max 10K 9* w/Tensei Orange 1K 70TX

BRNR Mini 13.5* w/Tensei Pro White 70TX
TSr3 18* w/Tensei AV Raw White 85TX 2.0

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW w/MMT 125TX

W/S Forged 50* w/DG S400

Mg4 56*, 60* w/DG S400

Spider S
TP5X 24'

[quote name='Honman' timestamp='1374127111' post='7479474']
Played one of these at the weekend. While it is nice and forgiving, the shaft is dreadful, it just flips the ball up in the air and it comes down like a pitching wedge. I want a driving iron as a club that penetrates and this does not. I do think it may work better with a steel shaft in it.
[/quote]

I have no problem flighting mine down.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1374156133' post='7481254']
[quote name='Honman' timestamp='1374127111' post='7479474']
[/quote]

I have no problem flighting mine down.
[/quote]

I flight mine down quite a bit depending on the wind.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I've been looking for true iron replacement hybrids. These fit the bill for me. I want a less than perfectly struck shot with the 21* DHY to look like a perfectly struck 3 iron, with the same distance. These do that for me. Also, if needed, u can put a little sauce in a shot and get a shot with some extra distance, these can do that. If you want to hit it from under a tree , you don't have to worry about it shooting straight up.

I am selling an adams super LS 24* that goes 240 yards. My bag doesn't need or want a hybrid that dupes my fwy woods (5 wood in this instance)

In summary, these cant be all things to all people. Unlike other recent Hybrid offerings (from Adams too), these are more likely to replace an iron than a fwy wood IMO.

[quote name='ksavy17' timestamp='1374150118' post='7480440']
[/quote]

Either that or stores just aren't carrying them. I was in PGASS the other day looking for them and they didn't have a single one. I talked to a few guys that work there and they didn't even know about it. This was probably in late June, so the club had been out for a little more than four weeks I believe.

Then I hopped over to Golfsmith and I think they only had two, maybe three of them in stock. I didn't ask how many they had sold, but I'm guessing most stores just aren't stocking a whole lot of them.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1374161691' post='7482330']
[/quote]

Either that or stores just aren't carrying them. I was in PGASS the other day looking for them and they didn't have a single one. I talked to a few guys that work there and they didn't even know about it. This was probably in late June, so the club had been out for a little more than four weeks I believe.

Then I hopped over to Golfsmith and I think they only had two, maybe three of them in stock. I didn't ask how many they had sold, but I'm guessing most stores just aren't stocking a whole lot of them.
[/quote]

The week the DHy and Super 9031 were released there were only four at my local GS, two 18* and two 21*, all S flex, compared to an entire rack of Super 9031s of varying lofts and flexes.

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1374162090' post='7482424']
[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1374161691' post='7482330']
[/quote]

[/quote]

The week the DHy and Super 9031 were released there were only four at my local GS, two 18* and two 21*, all S flex, compared to an entire rack of Super 9031s of varying lofts and flexes.
[/quote]

Yup, same thing I noticed at the stores too. 9031s all over, but either no or very few DHys.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

And just because I can... my newly cut down 18* (playing it at 39.5", DI-105X). Sorry for the crappy picture.

20130717_065221_zpsd3a08f93.jpg

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1374163199' post='7482694']
And just because I can... my newly cut down 18* (playing it at 39.5", DI-105X). Sorry for the crappy picture.

[/quote]
This is what I might end up doing with the 18* that I just bought (supposedly Tour Issue :hi: with a Kuro Kage X) if I find that it's going farther than I want it to (probably not all that likely), I might cut it down a touch to try to take a few yards off it and to improve control.

[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1374167301' post='7483520']
[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1374163199' post='7482694']

[/quote]
This is what I might end up doing with the 18* that I just bought (supposedly Tour Issue :hi: with a Kuro Kage X) if I find that it's going farther than I want it to (probably not all that likely), I might cut it down a touch to try to take a few yards off it and to improve control.
[/quote]

I did the exact same thing with mine, cut it down by 3/4" so it would fit better into the gaps. It's now 220-225 just about every time which is exactly what I was looking for.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W