2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

JW's Adams DHy review

Dizz

The black finish is pretty fickle. I had one for about 3 rounds and finish is very susceptible to bang chatter chips and scratches but I guess that's why it comes with a cover lol

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never used the stock head cover. I have been using some neoprene iron covers that work well. They are low profile instead of the stock offering. I would be scared of what these would look like without any protection...

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Jseale' timestamp='1374720085' post='7533926']
Hit my 4 iron 205 yds and 3 iron 215 yds, but only get 215-220 out of my 19* 909h and can hook it off the map if I get quick. I'd love to get 215 out of a 21* DHy and then drop my 3 iron and 19* replacing the 909 with something that I can get 235 yds out of to better fill the gap between 215 and my 15* 906f2 that I get 250 out of.
Swing speed in the 110 range and hit my 7 iron shafted with an x100 175 yds.
Long winded way of asking if 215 yds out of a 21* DHy sound doable given my numbers?
[/quote]

NO problem. I have same stats and hit it 215-220 plus.

M1 460, Shaft TBD
Epic 15*, Oban purple 05 flex
SLDR Rescue, 19 , X Fujikura
Irons (5-P)- PXG 0311, (4) - O311XF, Steelfiber 110
Bettinardi Kutchar - DASS
Edel 51, 55, 59, Steelfiber 110

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='toc' timestamp='1395785990' post='8950107']
I love these old threads, seeing people rant and rave about a club but it isn't even listed in their signature anymore. :)
[/quote]
They're still in my bag.
The 18* replaced my 5 wood and the 21* replaced my 3 iron.
I changed the stock shafts to the same PX model steel shafts I use in my irons.
That really brought the average dispersion down.
A big plus with these is that I don't seem to get that occassional snapper I got with traditional hybrids, especially off the tee.
Rather, they seem to want to work a little left to right.

I love these old threads, seeing people rant and rave about a club but it isn't even listed in their signature anymore. :)
[/quote]

This is WRX, most of us change clubs out of boredom and fun... not because the club stopped performing. I still believe the DHy is the best performing iron style hybrid made as far as pure performance... which IMO is a combination of ball speed, forgiveness and efficiency of flight-- especially in its stock form.

My stopped use of the club had nothing to do with performance.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1396496423' post='9008603']
[/quote]

[b]This is WRX, most of us change clubs out of boredom and fun... not because the club stopped performing.[/b] I still believe the DHy is the best performing iron style hybrid made as far as pure performance... which IMO is a combination of ball speed, forgiveness and efficiency of flight-- especially in its stock form.

[/quote]

That's a fact!

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='ajg223' timestamp='1371599795' post='7276972']
I hit the 21 and 24 and love them. I hit them on a similar trajectory as my rocketbladez 3 and 4 iron. I know the rocketbladez lofts are jacked but it actually worked perfectly for fitting the yardage of the 4 iron with the 24. So the 24 is in the bag, but the 21 only carried about 5 yards further than the 24 and less than my 3 iron. The total yardage was the same as my 3 iron, but I can't see the point of carrying two clubs whose carry distances are 5 yards apart. It seems kind of ridiculous to be carrying a 24 degree hybrid and a 3 iron too. I am thinking about trying the 20 degree in the 9031 and the 18 in the dhy (cutting down the shaft so that it fits the length progression). Thoughts on why I would only carry the 21 5 yards further? I did hit the 24 much more consistently solid and I know this is a factor, but the 5 yard difference was on solid strikes.
[/quote]

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago with hybrids. I was looking for more distance that i could get with my 20* hybrid but i found that 17/18 hybrids really didn't go much further. Neither did 5 woods. There is a decent sized gap between my 23 and 20 but very little between my 20 and 17.

I also had the same thing happen between my 4/5 iron. Years ago someone posted PGA tour carry distances and there was only a 9 yard difference in long irons.

In your case i would say that you might get better gapping by choosing a different hybrid after your 24 dhy.

Got my 18* DHy in on Monday. Shafted with a Matrix Ozik Altus X Flex (Black Tie Hybrid shaft) and it might be my new favorite club.

Hit it off the tee and it goes about 235-240 with a boring flight that doesnt balloon even a little bit. It is sneaky long. I hit a couple yesterday down near where I'd hit my 3w just slightly less than flush. But the best news was its performance from the fairway.

Playing a long par 5 into the teeth of the wind yesterday, I had 270 to the hole. Couldn't get there with any club and I also had 200 to carry a water hazard or layup and give myself a longer club into the green. Prefered the pitch shot, so pulled the DHy and hit a beautiful piercing 235 cut shot that started left of the water, flew over the left edge and landed about 35 yards from the green. Took the water completely out of play and stayed under the wind as well.

2nd shot was another long par 5, this time a dogleg right. Tee shot nicked a branch on its way out and dropped almost straight down, leaving me 300+ yard back at the elbow of the dogleg. Pulled the DHy again and launched a missile up towards the left front bunker, stopping about 50 yards from the stick. Nice little pitch onto the green and 2 putt par.

This thing is crazy long and very forgiving in my opinion. Easy to hit it where you want it to go.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

I was thinking about replacing my 18 deg 910h with an 18deg dhy. Worried about getting ball flight high enough to hold greens though. I am pretty confident with finding the fairway with my 3 wood, so probably wouldn't use this as the typical driving iron from the tee, but more second shot to a green from fairway(our probably rough). Would the dhy still be a good option? Is the 18 deg dhy easy to elevate? I'm not a high ball hitter to start with unfortunately. Swing speed with driver is roughly 105.

Bio Cell +
TEE XCG7 3 wood
Adams DHY 21
Adams CMB 4-Gw
Vokey SM4 54, 58 deg
Odyssey Tank #7

I really like my Dhy 18*. It is one of my favorite clubs. Low spin bullets. It is great into the wind. I fly it about 230 and it rolls out well. I can hit it 260 if I smoke it, and it is usually good for 240. Very forgiving and easy to hit off of the ground. I have to make certain I do not tee it up when I have the opportunity actually or I do not hit it solid, it is better suited for the ball to be on the ground for me.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='schulzea' timestamp='1396579769' post='9016455']
I was thinking about replacing my 18 deg 910h with an 18deg dhy. Worried about getting ball flight high enough to hold greens though. I am pretty confident with finding the fairway with my 3 wood, so probably wouldn't use this as the typical driving iron from the tee, but more second shot to a green from fairway(our probably rough). Would the dhy still be a good option? Is the 18 deg dhy easy to elevate? I'm not a high ball hitter to start with unfortunately. Swing speed with driver is roughly 105.
[/quote]

I would say this is probably not the best club for what you're looking to do. Not saying it wouldn't work, but if you have trouble getting the ball in the air, this thing isn't built to do that, and I'd worry you'd run it through some greens. That being said, if I hit down it it steeply, it will get up in the air off a tee. So...Not sure if that helps you at all. My driver SS is like 115. I bought the DHy to play from the tee, and I love it from the teebox, but to be honest- I've only played 1 round with it, mind you- the 2 best shots I've hit with it were from the deck. see above.

You can find em pretty cheap on the Bay or the BST, might be worth a shot if you hang on to your hybrid. I always thought the 910h launched pretty high, but I'm a high ball hitter. Could have a lot to do with shaft too ya know? Either way, good luck! It's a heck of a club!

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1396539183' post='9011243']
[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1396496423' post='9008603']
[/quote]

[b]This is WRX, most of us change clubs out of boredom and fun... not because the club stopped performing.[/b] I still believe the DHy is the best performing iron style hybrid made as far as pure performance... which IMO is a combination of ball speed, forgiveness and efficiency of flight-- especially in its stock form.

[/quote]

That's a fact!
[/quote]

Sad but true. I sold mine because it was the dead of winter and someone made me a solid cash offer. I wasn't going to be using it for months anyway. Time to pick another one up now though...

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

I bought a 21* DHY last summer after reading Dizz's info on here (don't judge me). :)

I've had it in the bag for about 9 months, which is like 9 years in a normal person's bag. Initially had stock white tie x flex, and reshafted with v2 105 gram, stiff flex, tipped a bunch. It has 2 characteristics that I have never seen in a hybrid; hot and predictable. For me its usually one of those things at the expense of the other. Iron-like hybrids like 712u are predictable, but go nowhere on mishits. Wood style hybrids have some funky misses for me. This club has the same miss pattern as a long iron, but the face characteristics of a high COR hybrid. I really don't have a single thing I would change about the DHy. I play in a lot of wind so its perfect . . . if you are looking to hit moon-balls you will need to look somewhere else, but I love it.

[quote name='nick.woods76' timestamp='1396632265' post='9020307']
is the new adams DHY as good as this one?

Same club pretty much?
[/quote]

Same club, different paint job, different weight (uses a Torx now vs the triangle previously, but [i]I think[/i] threads and overall size are the same), and different stock shaft.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

[/quote]
Probably not a good option for you, based on the information you provided. The DHy head is very low spin, and if you're not a high ball hitter, you'll probably lose carry distance, and find it tough to hold greens. My personal experience is that the 18* DHy is not easy to elevate off the ground, and its primary advantage is off the tee. I also found it very difficult to hit out of the rough, unless it was sitting up, basically on a tee.
Some people have reported that they hit the DHy quite a bit farther than other clubs they've tried as the same loft, so it's possible that you'd be able to go with a 21* DHy and get about the same distance you get with your current hybrid, and that would be an easier club to elevate, and easier to hit from the rough. I think to use the 18* effectively, you need to have tour level swing speed or a pretty steep AoA.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1396634359' post='9020675']
[/quote]
Probably not a good option for you, based on the information you provided. The DHy head is very low spin, and if you're not a high ball hitter, you'll probably lose carry distance, and find it tough to hold greens. My personal experience is that the 18* DHy is not easy to elevate off the ground, and its primary advantage is off the tee. I also found it very difficult to hit out of the rough, unless it was sitting up, basically on a tee.
Some people have reported that they hit the DHy quite a bit farther than other clubs they've tried as the same loft, so it's possible that you'd be able to go with a 21* DHy and get about the same distance you get with your current hybrid, and that would be an easier club to elevate, and easier to hit from the rough. I think to use the 18* effectively, you need to have tour level swing speed or a pretty steep AoA.
[/quote]

I would agree with this. I have the 21/24. The 24 is easy to elevate, the 21 is fairly easy to elevate as well (if I make a good swing, duh). I have heard that the 18* can be hard to get up in the air which is why an 18* hasnt made it into my bag. It could be tough to hold greens with that 18 if you arent a high ball hitter already.

@TOC - 21/24 are still in my bag :)

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

[quote name='shankman92' timestamp='1396655781' post='9022981']
Im going to pick up the new one or the new adams pro hybrid in 20 deg - anyone compare the new DHY to the new Adams pro hybrid??
[/quote]

The pro hybrid is a better option if your are looking for versatility (hitting from rough, holding greens, etc). I don't have one but have hybrids with a similar head shape and i can hit them better from the rough than a 9 iron. If you are looking primarily for a club to hit low burners off the tee/deck or trying to keep the ball down in the wind then the dhy would be a better bet.

I am thinking of getting the 18 dhy for occassions when the wind is up and i want to hit low bullets. The pro hybrid will be lower launching than most hybrids but significantly higher than the dhy.

I can't speak to the 18 DHY but I have the 21 and 24 and they are very consistent. The 24 is probably the most trusted of all my clubs and flys as straight as a wedge. I did notice a more boring flight with the 21 so I could imagine the 18 produces a low rocket. In terms of holding greens from 200 plus I would stop at the 21. I waited for the DHY pro to come out before adding my 21 and honestly felt the original DHY is a better club in terms of forgiveness, flight and shaft option.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='Tdiggity' timestamp='1401936846' post='9433065']
Any thoughts on DHy 18 vs Anser 17 degree? My driver ss is 108-110 and Im looking for more consistency off the tee. Currently using my Adam Idea pro 20 deg hybrid which I hit about 230 and pretty consistently. Im looking for a little more distance off the tee
[/quote]

I have both. For me, the Adams flies lower and spins less. I carry the Adams about 225 and it rolls 20 or 30 yards, and the Anser 235 and rolls 10. I can get the Adams out there a little farther from the tee. They about the same from the fairway as far as ease to hit and forgiveness. I prefer the Adams slightly but they are both good clubs. It would depend on what you wanted, a low launching bullet or a higher flying hybrid. I was looking for a tee shot club so chose the Adams because it would overall end up farther. I tended to turn the Ping over more and more often which is another reason I preferred the Adams.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1406228057' post='9777139']
[quote name='Tdiggity' timestamp='1401936846' post='9433065']
Any thoughts on DHy 18 vs Anser 17 degree? My driver ss is 108-110 and Im looking for more consistency off the tee. Currently using my Adam Idea pro 20 deg hybrid which I hit about 230 and pretty consistently. Im looking for a little more distance off the tee
[/quote]

I have both. For me, the Adams flies lower and spins less. I carry the Adams about 225 and it rolls 20 or 30 yards, and the Anser 235 and rolls 10. I can get the Adams out there a little farther from the tee. They about the same from the fairway as far as ease to hit and forgiveness. I prefer the Adams slightly but they are both good clubs. It would depend on what you wanted, a low launching bullet or a higher flying hybrid. I was looking for a tee shot club so chose the Adams because it would overall end up farther. I tended to turn the Ping over more and more often which is another reason I preferred the Adams.
[/quote]

Good post, and I was thinking the same thing regarding flight wanted. If higher, hybrid all the way, but if you wanted it to be a bit lower, the DHy fits that bill perfectly. I would think a hybrid would be better for coming into greens, but the DHy would be best for more of a tee club.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W