2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Age 55 and older

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1375449764' post='7589980']
Sorry if it seemed that way. No, I have no issues believing legit distance numbers. Just wish I could still generate that kind of club head speed myself. No offense meant.
[/quote]

And I'm sorry if I'm misreading your post. Also no offense intended. Certainly none taken. :)

Group hug LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

56yo here and been back in the game about a year after a 20 year hiatus. I started with an Adams LS Driver that I like but recently bought the Nike Covert Tour and also like it. I play a very tight course and I'm not as accurate as I need to with either driver so I bought a Callaway 3 deep 13* to try.

With the golf ball now versus 20 years ago I've found I haven't lost much distance although clearly I'm not as flexible when I view my 35yo swing on video as compared to my 56yo swing. I'm one of the longer seniors at my club but not very accurate (either a block or a pull hook because of flipping) so it's really a moot point. I average about 250-270 carry with my driver but usually just use my 4 iron off the tee for about 200-220 which puts me out with most of the guys' drivers I play with.

I also found I can't hit as many range balls as I used to. I've had three episodes of rib cage muscle pulls since I've started this crazy game again and I never had those twenty years ago. I really enjoy practicing and have often been called a range rat but I just can't hit hundreds of balls a session without pulling something unlike 20-25 years ago. That's the only part about golf and age I struggle with. I wish I could practice for hours like before.

[quote name='bigdawginva' timestamp='1375453384' post='7590318']
56yo here and been back in the game about a year after a 20 year hiatus. I started with an Adams LS Driver that I like but recently bought the Nike Covert Tour and also like it. I play a very tight course and I'm not as accurate as I need to with either driver so I bought a Callaway 3 deep 13* to try.

With the golf ball now versus 20 years ago I've found I haven't lost much distance although clearly I'm not as flexible when I view my 35yo swing on video as compared to my 56yo swing. I'm one of the longer seniors at my club but not very accurate (either a block or a pull hook because of flipping) so it's really a moot point. I average about 250-270 carry with my driver but usually just use my 4 iron off the tee for about 200-220 which puts me out with most of the guys' drivers I play with.

I also found I can't hit as many range balls as I used to. I've had three episodes of rib cage muscle pulls since I've started this crazy game again and I never had those twenty years ago. I really enjoy practicing and have often been called a range rat but I just can't hit hundreds of balls a session without pulling something unlike 20-25 years ago. That's the only part about golf and age I struggle with. I wish I could practice for hours like before.
[/quote]
Yeah 1 bucket or 50 balls is my limit also. I guess we have to practice smarter and not longer. I find instead of just pounding balls I slow down, line up every shot and generally go through the same preshot routine I would on the course. Also practice different shots rather than just full shots etc. That helps me stretch out the practice time more and gives structure to what I am trying to achieve.

[quote name='Oldplayer' timestamp='1375484507' post='7593942']

Yeah 1 bucket or 50 balls is my limit also. I guess we have to practice smarter and not longer. I find instead of just pounding balls I slow down, line up every shot and generally go through the same preshot routine I would on the course. Also practice different shots rather than just full shots etc. That helps me stretch out the practice time more and gives structure to what I am trying to achieve.
[/quote]

I do the same thing on the range as well. I can practice longer and get more out of it. I also picked up a Callaway 3Deep 13 to check out and so far I'm pretty impressed with it. I hit my driver fairly well but the 3Deep carries farther than any fairway wood I've ever had with better accuracy. I think it's a game changer.

Hi
I'm 62 and this is my 6th year playing. I'm down to a 12 index.
I currently use a 9* Ping G15 w/ Aldila Serrano 65 Stiff shaft that I usually get 240 yds on average. This year I have straightened out my tee shots so I am now hitting, minimum, 80% fairways. I also use a G15 3W with a Serrano 75 shaft. Gets a bit less distance, but even better accuracy. Great club for 'course management' occasions.
My friends sometimes hit my driver and want to take it home....sorry fellas!

And I'm also using almost 20 yr old Tommy Armour irons!!!

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Synergy 50R

Ping G430 5W 

Callaway Edge 24* Hybrid R
Mizuno JPX921HM w/Recoil 780S 6-LW

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11
Vice Pro Plus

I started feeling the effects of aging about 3 years ago; now 66, I average 230 yards with occasional good days going out to 250. Driving the ball is actually the better part of my game so I get great enjoyment ho'ing drivers; I haven't found a driver I didn't like, I hit them pretty much the same with some being more suited to my tastes for feel, sound, looks, etc. My driver du jour currently is a Cobra S3 11.5* with stock Fujikura Blur 005 in senior flex; I love the sound and feel of it and the senior flex allows me to swing with little effort, still getting decent length. Having said that I also have a Cobra ZL Encore 9.5 with a Motore F1 stiff that requires more effort to load the shaft but definately gets the ball out farther with more roll. Both great drivers for sound, feel and looks (for me).

Like OSR I reccomend the classic golf section of golfwrx, while vintage stuff certainly is a mainstay of discussion, we talk about almost everything with a 50+ point of view and the exchange of ideas can be, shall we say, somewhat more elevated than your standard golfwrx topic.

Anyway...

My modern driver is a Pinseeker (small SoCal company that has gone out of business) 10.5 degree
44.25 inches
Graffaloy Prolaunch shaft in stiff

I hit it 245-255 on average, carry and roll

I bought this driver out of a bargain bin for 39 dollars, and it has performed very well for me. I had a daughter fairly late in the kid game
(at 47) and as a result I virtually quit playing, but she's almost 10 now and I've been back playing for the last couple of years. When I did return I played a lot of vintage and hickory, my modern clubs being almost an afterthought. However in regards to the driver, which regardless of the other clubs you are using, comes in handy at our age, I'm thinking I should probably get myself fitted just to see what kind of yardage I can "buy".

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

55 and can get it out to 220-250- occasionally a bit more but not often. I use a TM 360 Ti with a UST/Mamiya Proforce V2 stiff and sometimes a Titleist 905T with the stock Fujikura Speeder stiff. I also frequently play an old school bag with either a Joe Powell DSP J1 or Tony Penna persimmon. With the persimmon a good smooth swing will yield about 210-235 with the rare 250 yard bullet off the screws. I am still getting reaquainted with the persimmon as far as consistency, but loving every minute. In my vintage bag I also carry a Joe Powell persimmon 3 wood and am a little more consistent with it.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

Just wanted to update. I really appreciate all the great respones.Since I started this thread I went and got fitted and tried a bunch of different drivers.I came away with a Callaway X Hot 10.5* with a regular flex stock shaft. I'm playing with the face adjustments on it now.In the closed face setting it turns it into a 11.5* loft.In that setting I am now hitting a draw which is really cool.I'll try to give a better review after some more time with it.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

• 1 month later...

59. But my doctor informed me that my "...musculoskeletal system is much older than my chronological age." Broken down from too much contact sports.

Anyway, I recently (this past winter) went to 9 degree Cleveland Classic 290 with Whiteboard in R flex. Long and straight. Had a couple months where I felt good and was hitting it 250 into the wind and 280 downwind. Even got 300 out of a couple (why does that always happen on the really short par fours, though?). Probably more realistic to say that average is 235-240, but I hit a lot of fairways. Best shaft/head combination I've ever hit. I never swing 100% as I had back surgery in 2000.

I work out regularly with a lot of core and stretching plus strength work. It has helped.

Getting old sucks, but most days it beats the alternative.

Hang in there, and good luck!

60 yrs, played a lot thru mid teen years, just picked the game back up 2 yrs ago. Steel plate in left forearm, rotator cuff glitch, limited flex in wrist.

Tried the balloon on a stick, tried my old laminated maple. Not happy with either.

Currently playing 905T 9.5 with 65 gr Adilla NV stiff. 70% fairways, 220-240 carry and a good roll. Seems a good combo of distance and accuracy considering.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 61. This year, the aches and pains have really increased. Shoulder, neck, lower back, knees, you name it, it's gotten worse. Even my feet have started to hurt. I still play golf 3-5 days a week, walk, and carry 5 or 6 clubs. It seems I feel the same whether I play golf or loaf. During play, I feel no pain. I usually play between 9 and 20 holes, average about 14-15. When I finish, I stiffen up. Have a hard time getting out of bed in the am or numerous bathroom wakeups.

Enough depressing stuff. I found that my driver distances are the same whether I play modern or vintage. I find that I can hit longer and straighter with a vintage Callaway warbird, or Great BB than a huge Diablo. Average about 210-230 yards, no matter what. I play hickories, driver can go a bit less. But with persimmon or laminate, distance is about the same. Yesterday, hit a drive 242 with a laminate Haig.

As far as irons, I've played huge shovels, X 12's and X-14's. Good clubs, but forged is better. Callaway X-forged are the best modern clubs I've played. Play like my old Haigs. I have a set of Karsten 2's from 1975. Hard to believe they cost $ 1,200 back then. $ 1,200 was decent used car money in 1975.

All in all, I'm not a great golfer, but can break 80 once in a while. I played with 84 and 80 year old guys yesterday, so I really shouldn't complain. I'm just a kid yet.

Play well!

I think next year I'll go back to something like the Ping G25 irons. My problem is my brain keeps telling me I'm still 35 and can hit anything well and my body is telling me to "forget about it". Although the one thing I've found about getting a little older is I tend to think my way around the course much better than I used to which leads to some decent scores. I usually just play in leagues which are 9 holes and I had more rounds in the upper 30's this year than ever.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

For all of us older guys, here's a bit of potential help if you're having back problems. My weekly golf regimen is to play 2-3 times a week and practice at least twice for about 90 minutes. I worked with a golf specific trainer who created a stretching program to help main flexibility.

Earlier this summer for the first time I developed lower back problems. Absent a back injury in college, I've never had issues but this was so painful it reduced both playing and practicing. On the suggestion of a friend, I went to a massage therapist who did a 60 minute "sports" massage. I had her focus on my neck, shoulders and back. It was painful at times but she found several knots and worked on them extensively and since then, all the pain is gone and I can play and practice as much as I want. I'm thinking about going monthly on a preventative basis.

Not saying this will work for everyone but it's helped me immensely.

[quote name='ebk' timestamp='1378928263' post='7833555']
59. But my doctor informed me that my "...musculoskeletal system is much older than my chronological age." Broken down from too much contact sports.

Anyway, I recently (this past winter) went to 9 degree Cleveland Classic 290 with Whiteboard in R flex. Long and straight. Had a couple months where I felt good and was hitting it 250 into the wind and 280 downwind. Even got 300 out of a couple (why does that always happen on the really short par fours, though?). Probably more realistic to say that average is 235-240, but I hit a lot of fairways. Best shaft/head combination I've ever hit. I never swing 100% as I had back surgery in 2000.

I work out regularly with a lot of core and stretching plus strength work. It has helped.

[/quote]

There are a lot of us who have been, to quote a horseman I know, "rode hard an' put up wet" way too often. We kep coming back for more. Hope springs eternal, doesn't it?
Uncle Bob

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1380041693' post='7903933']

Earlier this summer for the first time I developed lower back problems. Absent a back injury in college, I've never had issues but this was so painful it reduced both playing and practicing. On the suggestion of a friend, I went to a massage therapist who did a 60 minute "sports" massage. I had her focus on my neck, shoulders and back. It was painful at times but she found several knots and worked on them extensively and since then, all the pain is gone and I can play and practice as much as I want. I'm thinking about going monthly on a preventative basis.
[/quote]

I have suffered from chronic back pain for many years. Regular visits to a chiropractor and massage therapist helps to keep me active. You'll find that a proper warm-up routine is vital to keep the knots from returning.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

55 and currently a 5. Play with a group where everyone plays the tips and started to find they are really long for me. What used to be driver mid iron is now driver, hybrid and try to get up and down from the fringe !! Had very wet summer in Canada and most days the driver got very little roll. When there were a few hot stretches where things dried out a bit, it was much easier for me to get my drives into playable range. I have been on several Trackman devices and I "carry" my driver 235- 240. With a little roll, it will get out 250 and that is playable on most courses. Swing speed 94 with the driver, 80 with my 6 iron.
One of the biggest items to keep in mind is the pure physics of distance. Take my own swing speed as an example. At 94 MPH, there is a definite "upper limit" as to how far I will ever hit the ball. 94 MPH swing speeds do not produce golf shots that carry 285 yards. It is physically impossible. I have hit many balls, at many very reputable golf shops with some of the best fitters, and it is always the same. The key is to optimize your launch angle, your spin rate, your angle of descent ( the angle at which the balls comes back down to fairway), and focus on the smash factor. If your ball speed is 1.5 times your club head speed, and the fitter is happy with the other metrics, you have pretty much "maxed" out your distance. There are a hundred other items a fitter can focus on to help you out, but you are now going into the "lesson" portion more than the fitting portion. If your angle of attack to the ball is way off, or face angle is suspect, he might suggest getting that fixed for optimal results. My point is, many players keep searching for distance (not just us old guys), but younger players as well, when they are ignoring the "physics" of what is possible with their swing.

I play a Ping G25 with a Fujikura Fuel 50S shaft...great setup for me.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Ironmaster Oddities' timestamp='1380128141' post='7909003']
[quote name='ebk' timestamp='1378928263' post='7833555']

[/quote]

There are a lot of us who have been, to quote a horseman I know, "rode hard an' put up wet" way too often. We kep coming back for more. Hope springs eternal, doesn't it?
Uncle Bob
[/quote]

Thanks - and you are absolutely correct. Always hopeful. Playing more this year, and actually for one month got below 7 HCP, for first time ever. I guess it's about figuring out how to deal with age, injury and infirmity. I used to be in denial, but now I'm into fighting against it, but rationally.

And, compared to others, I am younger and luckier, so I'll count my blessings.

I'm 59 and started the year with graphite shafts in the G15's. This is the first year in many where I did not suffer through some sort of shoulder/arm/back ailment.
I've had to take weeks off in previous years. So yes after literally choking over the cost of re-shafting with Recoils I'd say it was money well spent. The only trouble being... spent so much the g25's over which I pine are a couple years away.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

• 2 weeks later...

Regulator of the Classic Section. Has a nice ring, but don't think I would like to dance to it. The beat sounds too Big Brotherly for my taste. And would that send a subliminal message that one has to obtain senior status to be interested in the classic clubs? Some of the lads haven't had the pleasure of reaching that milestone yet.

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1382205096' post='8026773']
By the way, there used to be a senior section on Golfwrx but
it was changed to what it is now awhile back.

Frankly I wish the powers that be would re-institute the senior
section and relegate the classic section to a sub-section of it.
[/quote]

I'm new here but thought about this myself until I found this forum. Even in this forum there are young guy commenting on playing older sets. How about a forum like "Senior Center", "Gramps' Gripes", "Old Folks Home", I'm sure you guys can think of something creative.

To the OP question, I sold many sets of clubs and singles just recently on eBay. After gathering them all from the barn it was appalling the number of clubs that were squirreled away. Hated to part with a Callaway S2H2 original "Pat. Pend" set of 1 through sand wedge.

Anyway, I needed graphite shafts for tennis (golf) elbow on both sides as well as arthritis in one hand. I went full out Callaway. X-Hot driver (10.5 adjusted to open), 5 wood, 4 wood, 7 wood. X-Hot Callaway 4-AW (graphite) and 3 Callaway wedges. All with regular shafts. One club has to be left home... it depends on the course. Incidentally, all pain is gone. Regripping with oversized Golf Pride DuoDurometers may have also helped.

I'm 66 and driver speed is high 80s to low 90s with the driver. These newfangled clubs are amazing when hit in the center and almost as amazing when hit a little off center. Finally got back to shooting a 79 after a several years lay-off. Currently, a 17 HDC.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1382205096' post='8026773']
By the way, there used to be a senior section on Golfwrx but
it was changed to what it is now awhile back.

Frankly I wish the powers that be would re-institute the senior
section and relegate the classic section to a sub-section of it.
[/quote]
The Forum does list it as a place for Seniors to hang out and discuss a wide range of topics. There are 3 sub sections now, doubt if a senior only would get that much traffic since we are all hanging out here now, and not in a good way for some of us....