2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @"Dan Drake" said:

> > So, after a long (for me) solid stretch of not buying clubs (thank you Callaway for putting me on staff!), thanks to this part of WRX, I now have a new fixation. But, the best part of the vintage/minimalist/P&B set journey is that it offers far more romanticism and nostalgia than my fantastic new sticks.

> > For instance, I will have my Grandfather's Palmer The Standard 4w in the bag at all times, even though the shaft is far from the right flex. I also have my father's head covers on the 4w and soon to be delivered 1950's era M85TW. I'll add something (quite a few things actually) to the set as well, hopefully from @"National Custom Works," as well as a "real" walking bag, and create something that my son can have in 30 years and add to, passing it down to his son or daughter.

> > It is my sincerest hope that golf course design continues to consider (as has been the more recent trend) the recreation and camaraderie aspects of the game and offers courses and tees that allow for whole families & groups of friends to all play and enjoy the game with whatever skill and equipment they each choose to bring.

> >

> > Did I mention that I have a M85 coming my way!!!

>

> Well I will tell you ---- You will be hooked------ Trust me I have a set of 2013 Callaway X forged that have been sitting darn near 3 years now-- But for my serious matches I do have my 15 year old KZG forged CBs in the bag with somewhat modern woods. Next week if we do not flood out I am playing in a Calcutta so I will play the KZGs--- But I am fixing to get away from that and go back to playing my old Macs again--- **Also I am still on tap this week to break 100 with all vintage clubs on a 8100 yard course at sea level**. All of my Sunday afternoon rounds are vintage

That's this week, is it? I hope there's live coverage...

• Like 2

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > @"Dan Drake" said:

> > > So, after a long (for me) solid stretch of not buying clubs (thank you Callaway for putting me on staff!), thanks to this part of WRX, I now have a new fixation. But, the best part of the vintage/minimalist/P&B set journey is that it offers far more romanticism and nostalgia than my fantastic new sticks.

> > > For instance, I will have my Grandfather's Palmer The Standard 4w in the bag at all times, even though the shaft is far from the right flex. I also have my father's head covers on the 4w and soon to be delivered 1950's era M85TW. I'll add something (quite a few things actually) to the set as well, hopefully from @"National Custom Works," as well as a "real" walking bag, and create something that my son can have in 30 years and add to, passing it down to his son or daughter.

> > > It is my sincerest hope that golf course design continues to consider (as has been the more recent trend) the recreation and camaraderie aspects of the game and offers courses and tees that allow for whole families & groups of friends to all play and enjoy the game with whatever skill and equipment they each choose to bring.

> > >

> > > Did I mention that I have a M85 coming my way!!!

> >

> > Well I will tell you ---- You will be hooked------ Trust me I have a set of 2013 Callaway X forged that have been sitting darn near 3 years now-- But for my serious matches I do have my 15 year old KZG forged CBs in the bag with somewhat modern woods. Next week if we do not flood out I am playing in a Calcutta so I will play the KZGs--- But I am fixing to get away from that and go back to playing my old Macs again--- **Also I am still on tap this week to break 100 with all vintage clubs on a 8100 yard course at sea level**. All of my Sunday afternoon rounds are vintage

>

> That's this week, is it? I hope there's live coverage...

LOL ----- There will be live coverage but I do not think it will be my round---- More than likely be that freaking hurricane

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

> @deejaid said:

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > @deejaid said:

> > > I’ll tell you James, I think I might just go all vintage the rest of the year. The last few days at the range I took my Ping’s and my 58 Wilson’s and not only are the Wilson’s much more satisfying to hit but I’m hitting them better than the Ping’s which look clunky and clumsy. It also helped that I finished my patio so no more shoveling stone for this guy, I feel a I can actually swing and bend over again.

> > >

> > > I also got inspired when I saw James’s bag as he had his vintage clubs in a vintage bag. I use a modern bag but just snagged a nice classic off eBay to really get full classic experience.

> >

> > Man O man that sounded fun---- I thought you had a Classic Jones bag---- I just snagged a classic bag at Goodwill last Sunday-- It is an old Voit canvas bag--- Took the Voit emblem off and it looks like a Jones but then again I do have a Jones Classic

>

>

> We had a lot of fun and if you make it out this way we will definitely head out fora vintage round buddy.

>

> And I did have a vintage Jones stand bag but I didn’t like the balance of the bag. No matter how I adjusted the strap the top wanted to dive down and nearly spill the clubs out so I ended up getting rid of it.

>

> I have been watching an eBay listing for months for an old 1960’s vinyl bag made by Fernquest & Johnson. Since I bought a F&J Tony Lema putter I decided to go ahead and buy the bag. I want that whole circa 1960 bag with the Dynapowered irons and Stan Thompson woods.

>

With me on most bags especially older carry ones I have to extend the strap with a Bandolier clip because I am a big guy. Seems to balance them out good for me. On my Jones which I bought used the strap was rather thin and worn. I had a nice padded strap from one of my older Titleist mini staff bags that worked fine and matched. On the Voit bag the strap was missing but I had a nice padded strap salvaged off some bag on the yard that works fine.

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > > @"Dan Drake" said:

> > > > So, after a long (for me) solid stretch of not buying clubs (thank you Callaway for putting me on staff!), thanks to this part of WRX, I now have a new fixation. But, the best part of the vintage/minimalist/P&B set journey is that it offers far more romanticism and nostalgia than my fantastic new sticks.

> > > > For instance, I will have my Grandfather's Palmer The Standard 4w in the bag at all times, even though the shaft is far from the right flex. I also have my father's head covers on the 4w and soon to be delivered 1950's era M85TW. I'll add something (quite a few things actually) to the set as well, hopefully from @"National Custom Works," as well as a "real" walking bag, and create something that my son can have in 30 years and add to, passing it down to his son or daughter.

> > > > It is my sincerest hope that golf course design continues to consider (as has been the more recent trend) the recreation and camaraderie aspects of the game and offers courses and tees that allow for whole families & groups of friends to all play and enjoy the game with whatever skill and equipment they each choose to bring.

> > > >

> > > > Did I mention that I have a M85 coming my way!!!

> > >

> > > Well I will tell you ---- You will be hooked------ Trust me I have a set of 2013 Callaway X forged that have been sitting darn near 3 years now-- But for my serious matches I do have my 15 year old KZG forged CBs in the bag with somewhat modern woods. Next week if we do not flood out I am playing in a Calcutta so I will play the KZGs--- But I am fixing to get away from that and go back to playing my old Macs again--- **Also I am still on tap this week to break 100 with all vintage clubs on a 8100 yard course at sea level**. All of my Sunday afternoon rounds are vintage

> >

> > That's this week, is it? I hope there's live coverage...

>

> LOL ----- There will be live coverage but I do not think it will be my round---- More than likely be that freaking hurricane

I'd forgotten about Dorian. I'm not sure which is a worse scenario, making landfall directly in Florida or going up the coast as it now appears to be doing.

• 3 weeks later...

So my first round in nearly three months after suffering a hernia at the back of June. I'm still not swinging 100% (more like 60~70%), and obviously haven't been able to practise much, but today I went out for 9 holes. I went with a new (to me) Mizuno Persimmon Craft 39 drivers (pictures a few pages back on the "No New Acquisitions?" thread), a Honma 2-wood that arrived yesterday (pics will be posted later; it's a beaut), Honma Tour model 4w (didn't hit it at all today), a new-to-me Mizuno 5w (pictures a few pages back on the "No New Acquisitions?" thread), Wilson Fg-J8 4i-SW (basically fg-17s for the Japanese market), and a new-to-me Becu RAM gap wedge. A Muirfield Jack Nicklaus putter did the work on the greens. Pictures will follow tomorrow.

So, first time out in a while, not swinging anywhere near 100%, and rain to boot. I got around OK, mostly playing bogey golf, except for the last where I put one in the water then 3-putted from 10ft for a triple bogey to finish for a 10-over 46. Pity really, because after that lay-off and with so little practice, and only swinging very gingerly, perfect bogey golf wouldn't have been too bad.

The Mizuno driver was a little disappointing. It felt really solid when struck right, but was hard to control. It sets up with an anti-fade closed face, but somehow I managed to fade my best strike with it. The Honma #2 wood is promising. Doubt it will be a fairway club for me, but could be a good tee-shot club. Feels great and goes far. The 5-wood was great generally, but I need to practise more with it off the turf. I can put my bad shots with it today down to lack of practice and not being fully recovered.

All in all, it was a fun day. Great to be back playing golf again.

• Like 2

> So my first round in nearly three months after suffering a hernia at the back of June. I'm still not swinging 100% (more like 60~70%), and obviously haven't been able to practise much, but today I went out for 9 holes. I went with a new (to me) Mizuno Persimmon Craft 39 drivers (pictures a few pages back on the "No New Acquisitions?" thread), a Honma 2-wood that arrived yesterday (pics will be posted later; it's a beaut), Honma Tour model 4w (didn't hit it at all today), a new-to-me Mizuno 5w (pictures a few pages back on the "No New Acquisitions?" thread), Wilson Fg-J8 4i-SW (basically fg-17s for the Japanese market), and a new-to-me Becu RAM gap wedge. A Muirfield Jack Nicklaus putter did the work on the greens. Pictures will follow tomorrow.

>

> So, first time out in a while, not swinging anywhere near 100%, and rain to boot. I got around OK, mostly playing bogey golf, except for the last where I put one in the water then 3-putted from 10ft for a triple bogey to finish for a 10-over 46. Pity really, because after that lay-off and with so little practice, and only swinging very gingerly, perfect bogey golf wouldn't have been too bad.

> The Mizuno driver was a little disappointing. It felt really solid when struck right, but was hard to control. It sets up with an anti-fade closed face, but somehow I managed to fade my best strike with it. The Honma #2 wood is promising. Doubt it will be a fairway club for me, but could be a good tee-shot club. Feels great and goes far. The 5-wood was great generally, but I need to practise more with it off the turf. I can put my bad shots with it today down to lack of practice and not being fully recovered.

>

> All in all, it was a fun day. Great to be back playing golf again.

Congrats on get back out there. And you are right, a good 2-wood is perfect off the tee. I was struggling with my driver last time out and finally striped a beautiful ball right down the middle. When I went to put the club back in the bag I realized I had grabbed my 2-wood instead of my driver. ?

• Like 1

> @deejaid said:

> > So my first round in nearly three months after suffering a hernia at the back of June. I'm still not swinging 100% (more like 60~70%), and obviously haven't been able to practise much, but today I went out for 9 holes. I went with a new (to me) Mizuno Persimmon Craft 39 drivers (pictures a few pages back on the "No New Acquisitions?" thread), a Honma 2-wood that arrived yesterday (pics will be posted later; it's a beaut), Honma Tour model 4w (didn't hit it at all today), a new-to-me Mizuno 5w (pictures a few pages back on the "No New Acquisitions?" thread), Wilson Fg-J8 4i-SW (basically fg-17s for the Japanese market), and a new-to-me Becu RAM gap wedge. A Muirfield Jack Nicklaus putter did the work on the greens. Pictures will follow tomorrow.

> >

> > So, first time out in a while, not swinging anywhere near 100%, and rain to boot. I got around OK, mostly playing bogey golf, except for the last where I put one in the water then 3-putted from 10ft for a triple bogey to finish for a 10-over 46. Pity really, because after that lay-off and with so little practice, and only swinging very gingerly, perfect bogey golf wouldn't have been too bad.

> > The Mizuno driver was a little disappointing. It felt really solid when struck right, but was hard to control. It sets up with an anti-fade closed face, but somehow I managed to fade my best strike with it. The Honma #2 wood is promising. Doubt it will be a fairway club for me, but could be a good tee-shot club. Feels great and goes far. The 5-wood was great generally, but I need to practise more with it off the turf. I can put my bad shots with it today down to lack of practice and not being fully recovered.

> >

> > All in all, it was a fun day. Great to be back playing golf again.

>

> Congrats on get back out there. And you are right, a good 2-wood is perfect off the tee. I was struggling with my driver last time out and finally striped a beautiful ball right down the middle. When I went to put the club back in the bag I realized I had grabbed my 2-wood instead of my driver. ?

>

Thank you. Yes, it was just good to be out playing again.

As for the 2w, I certainly hit it better than my driver yesterday. I think I hit 3 tee shots with each one. With the driver, the first shot was OK, a bit heel but straight. The second was a pull-hook (like I said, it sets up with a closed face), and the third was a great strike but it went out of bounds right...pretty much because I was aiming that way to counter the closed face.

With the 2w, I hit one poor one, and two good ones. My best tee-shot of the day was with the 2w on a tough driving hole (OB all the way up the right, and a narrow fairway).

Now I want to compare it with my regular persimmon driver.

• Like 1

> Here's a couple of pictures of the bag from yesterday.

> ijqoc6077rzm.jpg

> 9bwaztf0ok1a.jpg

> r7cmrj2v0dsn.jpg

>

Love it even though I ain't a Wilson man----- You always seem to get nice interesting stuff

Played vintage yesterday with one exception which I will detail later. Bear and the boys did not call so I played my home course with my wife so it was vintage day sort of. Had the Power Bilt Driver in the bag along with the 57 Mac 2 wood ( thanks again Dcopp) had the infamous Machogans 2 thru PW and a certain Mac wedge Dj knows all about since he sent it to me.

Now the one exception I am sorta embarrased over kinda like saying I have VD or something. I have had the yips again for a little while and really did not want to admit it. 2 weeks ago I shot a 79 on a par 72 course with 4 3putts yes I said it. If I could have putted decent it could have been a par round. Missed several birdie putts within 6 feet. My ball striking was on. I had the yips before about 10 years ago and putted with my broomstick. I drug it out and regripped it week before last. It is a Ping B-90 I at 43". Now when I used it before but never anchored the top hand and I do not now. Played my home course with the semi moderns and shot 74 with no 3 putts.

Was at the bag drop and the staff already had our stuff on the cart and this younger guy about in his 30s said "jeez look at that" pointed to my Jones Classic with all the above in it. Turns out he was playing a set of Redlines with modern woods. He also stated he played his 2 iron too. I pulled mine out and said a butter knife like this one huuh? We got a good laugh.

Pretty decent round I was nutting that driver all day and the 2 wood too. My highlights of the day all involved that 2 wood. Our 4th hole is a tough par 4 up the hill and most of the time into the wind. Hit the driver good but had 190 into the wind up the hill. Pulled the 2 wood and hit it on the upslope and chased it on the green. 2 putt (note that) for par. Anytime I par that hole I run to the cart trust me. Our 9th hole was playing down wind and the SR tees were up a little. I was hitting that driver darn near as far as my modern and I was scared of hitting the creek. I pulled the 2 wood. Did not catch it flush but not bad left me about 180 up the hill into this green. Now the wind had shifted as it does here at the coast and had turned into a cross wind and it was late in the day. Hit the 2 wood again with a little cut. Now I knew I flushed it but could not see it into the sun. My wife said it sounded good. I thought perhaps it would be short and I was looking towards the front of the green. My wife remarked there is a ball up there by the pin. there it was 4 foot from the pin. I told her I gotta make that putt and I did center cut ( note that!). Yep I had that 2 wood for a while and another one and had never hit them since I still elevate the persimmon driver off the tee. D Copp talked me into the 2 wood and I am glad he did.

Hope you guys do not shun me or kick me off for using a broomstick---- I am working on a vintage version though

• Like 1

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > Here's a couple of pictures of the bag from yesterday.

> > ijqoc6077rzm.jpg

> > 9bwaztf0ok1a.jpg

> > r7cmrj2v0dsn.jpg

> >

>

> Love it even though I ain't a Wilson man----- You always seem to get nice interesting stuff

Thanks, Big_Stu. I have two sets of Wilsons, the FG-J8s in the pictures, and a set of FG62s in my modern bag. I love them both, but I wouldn't call myself a Wilson fan. I've got more Mac sets, and quite a lot of Mizuno irons, old and new.

Now, I am turning into a Honma persimmon fan. They made some beautiful clubs back in the day, and their shafts, both steel and carbon, were pretty good too (proprietary shafts, I think). The interesting thing with older Honma irons is that they were almost all cast, not forged. I've a set of PP737s from the late Eighties, and they're cast, but so soft you would be hard-pressed to tell the difference.

> @"BIG STU" said:

> Played vintage yesterday with one exception which I will detail later. Bear and the boys did not call so I played my home course with my wife so it was vintage day sort of. Had the Power Bilt Driver in the bag along with the 57 Mac 2 wood ( thanks again Dcopp) had the infamous Machogans 2 thru PW and a certain Mac wedge Dj knows all about since he sent it to me.

> Now the one exception I am sorta embarrased over kinda like saying I have VD or something. I have had the yips again for a little while and really did not want to admit it. 2 weeks ago I shot a 79 on a par 72 course with 4 3putts yes I said it. If I could have putted decent it could have been a par round. Missed several birdie putts within 6 feet. My ball striking was on. I had the yips before about 10 years ago and putted with my broomstick. I drug it out and regripped it week before last. It is a Ping B-90 I at 43". Now when I used it before but never anchored the top hand and I do not now. Played my home course with the semi moderns and shot 74 with no 3 putts.

> Was at the bag drop and the staff already had our stuff on the cart and this younger guy about in his 30s said "jeez look at that" pointed to my Jones Classic with all the above in it. Turns out he was playing a set of Redlines with modern woods. He also stated he played his 2 iron too. I pulled mine out and said a butter knife like this one huuh? We got a good laugh.

> Pretty decent round I was nutting that driver all day and the 2 wood too. My highlights of the day all involved that 2 wood. Our 4th hole is a tough par 4 up the hill and most of the time into the wind. Hit the driver good but had 190 into the wind up the hill. Pulled the 2 wood and hit it on the upslope and chased it on the green. 2 putt (note that) for par. Anytime I par that hole I run to the cart trust me. Our 9th hole was playing down wind and the SR tees were up a little. I was hitting that driver darn near as far as my modern and I was scared of hitting the creek. I pulled the 2 wood. Did not catch it flush but not bad left me about 180 up the hill into this green. Now the wind had shifted as it does here at the coast and had turned into a cross wind and it was late in the day. Hit the 2 wood again with a little cut. Now I knew I flushed it but could not see it into the sun. My wife said it sounded good. I thought perhaps it would be short and I was looking towards the front of the green. My wife remarked there is a ball up there by the pin. there it was 4 foot from the pin. I told her I gotta make that putt and I did center cut ( note that!). Yep I had that 2 wood for a while and another one and had never hit them since I still elevate the persimmon driver off the tee. D Copp talked me into the 2 wood and I am glad he did.

> Hope you guys do not shun me or kick me off for using a broomstick---- I am working on a vintage version though

That's some good ball-striking there. I liked hitting my 2w off the tee, but I'm not ready for it off the deck yet.

As for putting yips, I'm sure I read a post on here from a guy that started putting left handed to get rid of his yips and found it worked for him. If you've got a non-flanged bullseye, it'd be easy to try....

>The interesting thing with older Honma irons is that they were almost all cast, not forged. I've a set of PP737s from the late Eighties, and they're cast, but so soft you would be hard-pressed to tell the difference.

Its always been about the softness of the metal used in the process, not about whether its forged or cast. I have a set of Purefit blades from quite a while ago, cast 1020 I believe (maybe 1025), they're as soft as my MP37s or MS11s. And then there are those Maxfli Aussie Blades and Revolution irons from 1999.... super soft.

And @"BIG STU", I've got zero problem with the long putter as part of vintage. Heck, Doug Sanders was apparently anchoring in the Open Championship in the 60s (so I'm told by a friend who saw it on screen). I don't see the problem. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > Played vintage yesterday with one exception which I will detail later. Bear and the boys did not call so I played my home course with my wife so it was vintage day sort of. Had the Power Bilt Driver in the bag along with the 57 Mac 2 wood ( thanks again Dcopp) had the infamous Machogans 2 thru PW and a certain Mac wedge Dj knows all about since he sent it to me.

> > Now the one exception I am sorta embarrased over kinda like saying I have VD or something. I have had the yips again for a little while and really did not want to admit it. 2 weeks ago I shot a 79 on a par 72 course with 4 3putts yes I said it. If I could have putted decent it could have been a par round. Missed several birdie putts within 6 feet. My ball striking was on. I had the yips before about 10 years ago and putted with my broomstick. I drug it out and regripped it week before last. It is a Ping B-90 I at 43". Now when I used it before but never anchored the top hand and I do not now. Played my home course with the semi moderns and shot 74 with no 3 putts.

> > Was at the bag drop and the staff already had our stuff on the cart and this younger guy about in his 30s said "jeez look at that" pointed to my Jones Classic with all the above in it. Turns out he was playing a set of Redlines with modern woods. He also stated he played his 2 iron too. I pulled mine out and said a butter knife like this one huuh? We got a good laugh.

> > Pretty decent round I was nutting that driver all day and the 2 wood too. My highlights of the day all involved that 2 wood. Our 4th hole is a tough par 4 up the hill and most of the time into the wind. Hit the driver good but had 190 into the wind up the hill. Pulled the 2 wood and hit it on the upslope and chased it on the green. 2 putt (note that) for par. Anytime I par that hole I run to the cart trust me. Our 9th hole was playing down wind and the SR tees were up a little. I was hitting that driver darn near as far as my modern and I was scared of hitting the creek. I pulled the 2 wood. Did not catch it flush but not bad left me about 180 up the hill into this green. Now the wind had shifted as it does here at the coast and had turned into a cross wind and it was late in the day. Hit the 2 wood again with a little cut. Now I knew I flushed it but could not see it into the sun. My wife said it sounded good. I thought perhaps it would be short and I was looking towards the front of the green. My wife remarked there is a ball up there by the pin. there it was 4 foot from the pin. I told her I gotta make that putt and I did center cut ( note that!). Yep I had that 2 wood for a while and another one and had never hit them since I still elevate the persimmon driver off the tee. D Copp talked me into the 2 wood and I am glad he did.

> > Hope you guys do not shun me or kick me off for using a broomstick---- I am working on a vintage version though

>

> That's some good ball-striking there. I liked hitting my 2w off the tee, but I'm not ready for it off the deck yet.

> As for putting yips, I'm sure I read a post on here from a guy that started putting left handed to get rid of his yips and found it worked for him. If you've got a non-flanged bullseye, it'd be easy to try....

Remember Sam Snead from back in the day side saddle putting and know about the Croquet style too. I actually experimented this afternoon side straddle putting with a Bulls Eye and a little David 8802. I am going to try the side saddle on my next vintage round.

> @"BIG STU" said:

> Played vintage yesterday with one exception which I will detail later. Bear and the boys did not call so I played my home course with my wife so it was vintage day sort of. Had the Power Bilt Driver in the bag along with the 57 Mac 2 wood ( thanks again Dcopp) had the infamous Machogans 2 thru PW and a certain Mac wedge Dj knows all about since he sent it to me.

> Now the one exception I am sorta embarrased over kinda like saying I have VD or something. I have had the yips again for a little while and really did not want to admit it. 2 weeks ago I shot a 79 on a par 72 course with 4 3putts yes I said it. If I could have putted decent it could have been a par round. Missed several birdie putts within 6 feet. My ball striking was on. I had the yips before about 10 years ago and putted with my broomstick. I drug it out and regripped it week before last. It is a Ping B-90 I at 43". Now when I used it before but never anchored the top hand and I do not now. Played my home course with the semi moderns and shot 74 with no 3 putts.

> Was at the bag drop and the staff already had our stuff on the cart and this younger guy about in his 30s said "jeez look at that" pointed to my Jones Classic with all the above in it. Turns out he was playing a set of Redlines with modern woods. He also stated he played his 2 iron too. I pulled mine out and said a butter knife like this one huuh? We got a good laugh.

> Pretty decent round I was nutting that driver all day and the 2 wood too. My highlights of the day all involved that 2 wood. Our 4th hole is a tough par 4 up the hill and most of the time into the wind. Hit the driver good but had 190 into the wind up the hill. Pulled the 2 wood and hit it on the upslope and chased it on the green. 2 putt (note that) for par. Anytime I par that hole I run to the cart trust me. Our 9th hole was playing down wind and the SR tees were up a little. I was hitting that driver darn near as far as my modern and I was scared of hitting the creek. I pulled the 2 wood. Did not catch it flush but not bad left me about 180 up the hill into this green. Now the wind had shifted as it does here at the coast and had turned into a cross wind and it was late in the day. Hit the 2 wood again with a little cut. Now I knew I flushed it but could not see it into the sun. My wife said it sounded good. I thought perhaps it would be short and I was looking towards the front of the green. My wife remarked there is a ball up there by the pin. there it was 4 foot from the pin. I told her I gotta make that putt and I did center cut ( note that!). Yep I had that 2 wood for a while and another one and had never hit them since I still elevate the persimmon driver off the tee. D Copp talked me into the 2 wood and I am glad he did.

> **Hope you guys do not shun me or kick me off for using a broomstick**---- I am working on a vintage version though

Why would we? It's not like a B-60 is new or anything. Probably been around almost as long as the Zing that I carry in my vintage bag. Besides, hadn't guys been using long putters for 40 odd years or more before the anchoring ban? OGA my friend!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > Played vintage yesterday with one exception which I will detail later. Bear and the boys did not call so I played my home course with my wife so it was vintage day sort of. Had the Power Bilt Driver in the bag along with the 57 Mac 2 wood ( thanks again Dcopp) had the infamous Machogans 2 thru PW and a certain Mac wedge Dj knows all about since he sent it to me.

> > > Now the one exception I am sorta embarrased over kinda like saying I have VD or something. I have had the yips again for a little while and really did not want to admit it. 2 weeks ago I shot a 79 on a par 72 course with 4 3putts yes I said it. If I could have putted decent it could have been a par round. Missed several birdie putts within 6 feet. My ball striking was on. I had the yips before about 10 years ago and putted with my broomstick. I drug it out and regripped it week before last. It is a Ping B-90 I at 43". Now when I used it before but never anchored the top hand and I do not now. Played my home course with the semi moderns and shot 74 with no 3 putts.

> > > Was at the bag drop and the staff already had our stuff on the cart and this younger guy about in his 30s said "jeez look at that" pointed to my Jones Classic with all the above in it. Turns out he was playing a set of Redlines with modern woods. He also stated he played his 2 iron too. I pulled mine out and said a butter knife like this one huuh? We got a good laugh.

> > > Pretty decent round I was nutting that driver all day and the 2 wood too. My highlights of the day all involved that 2 wood. Our 4th hole is a tough par 4 up the hill and most of the time into the wind. Hit the driver good but had 190 into the wind up the hill. Pulled the 2 wood and hit it on the upslope and chased it on the green. 2 putt (note that) for par. Anytime I par that hole I run to the cart trust me. Our 9th hole was playing down wind and the SR tees were up a little. I was hitting that driver darn near as far as my modern and I was scared of hitting the creek. I pulled the 2 wood. Did not catch it flush but not bad left me about 180 up the hill into this green. Now the wind had shifted as it does here at the coast and had turned into a cross wind and it was late in the day. Hit the 2 wood again with a little cut. Now I knew I flushed it but could not see it into the sun. My wife said it sounded good. I thought perhaps it would be short and I was looking towards the front of the green. My wife remarked there is a ball up there by the pin. there it was 4 foot from the pin. I told her I gotta make that putt and I did center cut ( note that!). Yep I had that 2 wood for a while and another one and had never hit them since I still elevate the persimmon driver off the tee. D Copp talked me into the 2 wood and I am glad he did.

> > > Hope you guys do not shun me or kick me off for using a broomstick---- I am working on a vintage version though

> >

> > That's some good ball-striking there. I liked hitting my 2w off the tee, but I'm not ready for it off the deck yet.

> > As for putting yips, I'm sure I read a post on here from a guy that started putting left handed to get rid of his yips and found it worked for him. If you've got a non-flanged bullseye, it'd be easy to try....

>

> Remember Sam Snead from back in the day side saddle putting and know about the Croquet style too. I actually experimented this afternoon side straddle putting with a Bulls Eye and a little David 8802. I am going to try the side saddle on my next vintage round.

Didn't Bryson DeChambeau try the side-saddle putting style on tour this year or the last? If I remember correctly, the tour banned his putter because it was too upright (not 100% sure about that, though).

> @scomac2002 said:

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > Played vintage yesterday with one exception which I will detail later. Bear and the boys did not call so I played my home course with my wife so it was vintage day sort of. Had the Power Bilt Driver in the bag along with the 57 Mac 2 wood ( thanks again Dcopp) had the infamous Machogans 2 thru PW and a certain Mac wedge Dj knows all about since he sent it to me.

> > Now the one exception I am sorta embarrased over kinda like saying I have VD or something. I have had the yips again for a little while and really did not want to admit it. 2 weeks ago I shot a 79 on a par 72 course with 4 3putts yes I said it. If I could have putted decent it could have been a par round. Missed several birdie putts within 6 feet. My ball striking was on. I had the yips before about 10 years ago and putted with my broomstick. I drug it out and regripped it week before last. It is a Ping B-90 I at 43". Now when I used it before but never anchored the top hand and I do not now. Played my home course with the semi moderns and shot 74 with no 3 putts.

> > Was at the bag drop and the staff already had our stuff on the cart and this younger guy about in his 30s said "jeez look at that" pointed to my Jones Classic with all the above in it. Turns out he was playing a set of Redlines with modern woods. He also stated he played his 2 iron too. I pulled mine out and said a butter knife like this one huuh? We got a good laugh.

> > Pretty decent round I was nutting that driver all day and the 2 wood too. My highlights of the day all involved that 2 wood. Our 4th hole is a tough par 4 up the hill and most of the time into the wind. Hit the driver good but had 190 into the wind up the hill. Pulled the 2 wood and hit it on the upslope and chased it on the green. 2 putt (note that) for par. Anytime I par that hole I run to the cart trust me. Our 9th hole was playing down wind and the SR tees were up a little. I was hitting that driver darn near as far as my modern and I was scared of hitting the creek. I pulled the 2 wood. Did not catch it flush but not bad left me about 180 up the hill into this green. Now the wind had shifted as it does here at the coast and had turned into a cross wind and it was late in the day. Hit the 2 wood again with a little cut. Now I knew I flushed it but could not see it into the sun. My wife said it sounded good. I thought perhaps it would be short and I was looking towards the front of the green. My wife remarked there is a ball up there by the pin. there it was 4 foot from the pin. I told her I gotta make that putt and I did center cut ( note that!). Yep I had that 2 wood for a while and another one and had never hit them since I still elevate the persimmon driver off the tee. D Copp talked me into the 2 wood and I am glad he did.

> > **Hope you guys do not shun me or kick me off for using a broomstick**---- I am working on a vintage version though

>

> Why would we? It's not like a B-60 is new or anything. Probably been around almost as long as the Zing that I carry in my vintage bag. Besides, hadn't guys been using long putters for 40 odd years or more before the anchoring ban? OGA my friend!

>

>

It is a B-90I with the I denoting insert------ The regular B-90 did not have an insert---- Looks like a big bannana. But it is sorta old I got it used in our shop 12 years ago----- Those putters were designed from the get go to be broomstick putters--- Quite a few of the B-90s for sale on flea bay

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @scomac2002 said:

> > > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > Played vintage yesterday with one exception which I will detail later. Bear and the boys did not call so I played my home course with my wife so it was vintage day sort of. Had the Power Bilt Driver in the bag along with the 57 Mac 2 wood ( thanks again Dcopp) had the infamous Machogans 2 thru PW and a certain Mac wedge Dj knows all about since he sent it to me.

> > > Now the one exception I am sorta embarrased over kinda like saying I have VD or something. I have had the yips again for a little while and really did not want to admit it. 2 weeks ago I shot a 79 on a par 72 course with 4 3putts yes I said it. If I could have putted decent it could have been a par round. Missed several birdie putts within 6 feet. My ball striking was on. I had the yips before about 10 years ago and putted with my broomstick. I drug it out and regripped it week before last. It is a Ping B-90 I at 43". Now when I used it before but never anchored the top hand and I do not now. Played my home course with the semi moderns and shot 74 with no 3 putts.

> > > Was at the bag drop and the staff already had our stuff on the cart and this younger guy about in his 30s said "jeez look at that" pointed to my Jones Classic with all the above in it. Turns out he was playing a set of Redlines with modern woods. He also stated he played his 2 iron too. I pulled mine out and said a butter knife like this one huuh? We got a good laugh.

> > > Pretty decent round I was nutting that driver all day and the 2 wood too. My highlights of the day all involved that 2 wood. Our 4th hole is a tough par 4 up the hill and most of the time into the wind. Hit the driver good but had 190 into the wind up the hill. Pulled the 2 wood and hit it on the upslope and chased it on the green. 2 putt (note that) for par. Anytime I par that hole I run to the cart trust me. Our 9th hole was playing down wind and the SR tees were up a little. I was hitting that driver darn near as far as my modern and I was scared of hitting the creek. I pulled the 2 wood. Did not catch it flush but not bad left me about 180 up the hill into this green. Now the wind had shifted as it does here at the coast and had turned into a cross wind and it was late in the day. Hit the 2 wood again with a little cut. Now I knew I flushed it but could not see it into the sun. My wife said it sounded good. I thought perhaps it would be short and I was looking towards the front of the green. My wife remarked there is a ball up there by the pin. there it was 4 foot from the pin. I told her I gotta make that putt and I did center cut ( note that!). Yep I had that 2 wood for a while and another one and had never hit them since I still elevate the persimmon driver off the tee. D Copp talked me into the 2 wood and I am glad he did.

> > > **Hope you guys do not shun me or kick me off for using a broomstick**---- I am working on a vintage version though

> >

> > Why would we? It's not like a B-60 is new or anything. Probably been around almost as long as the Zing that I carry in my vintage bag. Besides, hadn't guys been using long putters for 40 odd years or more before the anchoring ban? OGA my friend!

> >

> >

>

> It is a B-90I with the I denoting insert------ The regular B-90 did not have an insert---- Looks like a big bannana. But it is sorta old I got it used in our shop 12 years ago----- Those putters were designed from the get go to be broomstick putters--- Quite a few of the B-90s for sale on flea bay

Ah hah, foiled again I see by my ~~dyslexia~~ lack of careful reading. Have to be careful what I say as I was once taken to task by a mother for making light of the "D" word when I used it to describe my reading comprehension. The thing is I wasn't making light of it, but she seemed to think so...

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Played another 9 today with persimmon and older blades. I'm still not fully recovered from my hernia, and as a result I tend to get too handsy in my downswing and hook the ball. It was particularly bad today with the tee shots, but I managed to knock a couple of good ones out there with the 2-wood (and my first ever tee-shot with the driver was OK, too). My putting was really good today, and I hit some decent chips and wee pitches, so I managed to scrape 4 pars today, but two OBs wrecked my card for a 44. I think I only made two greens in regulation, and 3-putted one of those (my only 3 putt, and it was a really awkward first putt).

The RAMS are Tour Camber Soles, reshafted with PXi 6.0s extended about 3/4". They're light, which is why I took them out today. They feel great, but these shafts won't be a good fit for me when I pick up my lower back strength. Then again, when I get my back health back, I will most likely be bagging my RAM Tour Grinds instead of these. Nice feeling irons, though. The Tom Watson Custom Grind SW was nice as well; quality club and very versatile.

u6s6pj7j65gj.jpg

lk6ljgnyh94c.jpg

1g83vy01fmny.jpg

nklsu1jkisqd.jpg

4ksioy4a05ho.jpg

u9by8c08uyiy.jpg

qkx4d9efv7hv.jpg

• Like 1

> Played another 9 today with persimmon and older blades. I'm still not fully recovered from my hernia, and as a result I tend to get too handsy in my downswing and hook the ball. It was particularly bad today with the tee shots, but I managed to knock a couple of good ones out there with the 2-wood (and my first ever tee-shot with the driver was OK, too). My putting was really good today, and I hit some decent chips and wee pitches, so I managed to scrape 4 pars today, but two OBs wrecked my card for a 44. I think I only made two greens in regulation, and 3-putted one of those (my only 3 putt, and it was a really awkward first putt).

> The RAMS are Tour Camber Soles, reshafted with PXi 6.0s extended about 3/4". They're light, which is why I took them out today. They feel great, but these shafts won't be a good fit for me when I pick up my lower back strength. Then again, when I get my back health back, I will most likely be bagging my RAM Tour Grinds instead of these. Nice feeling irons, though. The Tom Watson Custom Grind SW was nice as well; quality club and very versatile.

> u6s6pj7j65gj.jpg

> lk6ljgnyh94c.jpg

> 1g83vy01fmny.jpg

> nklsu1jkisqd.jpg

> 4ksioy4a05ho.jpg

> u9by8c08uyiy.jpg

> qkx4d9efv7hv.jpg

>

And you ain't scared of a little lead tape where and when it is needed. Thumbs UP!!!

• Like 1

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > Played another 9 today with persimmon and older blades. I'm still not fully recovered from my hernia, and as a result I tend to get too handsy in my downswing and hook the ball. It was particularly bad today with the tee shots, but I managed to knock a couple of good ones out there with the 2-wood (and my first ever tee-shot with the driver was OK, too). My putting was really good today, and I hit some decent chips and wee pitches, so I managed to scrape 4 pars today, but two OBs wrecked my card for a 44. I think I only made two greens in regulation, and 3-putted one of those (my only 3 putt, and it was a really awkward first putt).

> > The RAMS are Tour Camber Soles, reshafted with PXi 6.0s extended about 3/4". They're light, which is why I took them out today. They feel great, but these shafts won't be a good fit for me when I pick up my lower back strength. Then again, when I get my back health back, I will most likely be bagging my RAM Tour Grinds instead of these. Nice feeling irons, though. The Tom Watson Custom Grind SW was nice as well; quality club and very versatile.

> > u6s6pj7j65gj.jpg

> > lk6ljgnyh94c.jpg

> > 1g83vy01fmny.jpg

> > nklsu1jkisqd.jpg

> > 4ksioy4a05ho.jpg

> > u9by8c08uyiy.jpg

> > qkx4d9efv7hv.jpg

> >

>

> And you ain't scared of a little lead tape where and when it is needed. Thumbs UP!!!

I need to sort the lead tape on the RAMs out. I put it on before realising I needed to adjust the lies (and lofts on some of the irons). That's why you can see holes in the lead. They're from the back screw on the loft/lie tool.

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > Played another 9 today with persimmon and older blades. I'm still not fully recovered from my hernia, and as a result I tend to get too handsy in my downswing and hook the ball. It was particularly bad today with the tee shots, but I managed to knock a couple of good ones out there with the 2-wood (and my first ever tee-shot with the driver was OK, too). My putting was really good today, and I hit some decent chips and wee pitches, so I managed to scrape 4 pars today, but two OBs wrecked my card for a 44. I think I only made two greens in regulation, and 3-putted one of those (my only 3 putt, and it was a really awkward first putt).

> > > The RAMS are Tour Camber Soles, reshafted with PXi 6.0s extended about 3/4". They're light, which is why I took them out today. They feel great, but these shafts won't be a good fit for me when I pick up my lower back strength. Then again, when I get my back health back, I will most likely be bagging my RAM Tour Grinds instead of these. Nice feeling irons, though. The Tom Watson Custom Grind SW was nice as well; quality club and very versatile.

> > > u6s6pj7j65gj.jpg

> > > lk6ljgnyh94c.jpg

> > > 1g83vy01fmny.jpg

> > > nklsu1jkisqd.jpg

> > > 4ksioy4a05ho.jpg

> > > u9by8c08uyiy.jpg

> > > qkx4d9efv7hv.jpg

> > >

> >

> > And you ain't scared of a little lead tape where and when it is needed. Thumbs UP!!!

>

> I need to sort the lead tape on the RAMs out. I put it on before realising I needed to adjust the lies (and lofts on some of the irons). That's why you can see holes in the lead. They're from the back screw on the loft/lie tool.

Aw heck that adds character--- You see that a lot on my stuff.

> @NRJyzr said:

> >The interesting thing with older Honma irons is that they were almost all cast, not forged. I've a set of PP737s from the late Eighties, and they're cast, but so soft you would be hard-pressed to tell the difference.

>

> Its always been about the softness of the metal used in the process, not about whether its forged or cast. I have a set of Purefit blades from quite a while ago, cast 1020 I believe (maybe 1025), they're as soft as my MP37s or MS11s. And then there are those Maxfli Aussie Blades and Revolution irons from 1999.... super soft.

>

> And @"BIG STU", I've got zero problem with the long putter as part of vintage. Heck, Doug Sanders was apparently anchoring in the Open Championship in the 60s (so I'm told by a friend who saw it on screen). I don't see the problem. :)

I have a set of Aussie blades I salvaged off the pile missing the 9 iron TT R-300 shafts. According to Ironfinder they are 2000 models. You are correct they are as soft and buttery feeling as my KZG CBs are. Had some WRX member contact me about buying them and I called him back with a price and he wanted something cheaper. Geez I was not trying to gouge the guy at $50 plus shipping. Those irons are pristine with original grips etc. I decided to keep them. I think I will play vintage golf with them tomorrow after church. I may go ahead and get the matching 9 iron off of ironfinder for $39.95 since I have searched the piles and Good Wills for months for the 9 iron.

• Like 1

> @dcopp7 said:

> Hit a beautiful 9 holes today with the '69 X31s. Such incredible irons. Woods were Sam Snead driver and Wilson Staff laminate 3&5 woods. I forgot to bag a putter so I used the 2i. Lolqcwdkh5mr7ni.jpg

>

Brings back memories for sure----- My old man sold a lot of X-31s to the weekend warriors at the course----- Like we discussed on another thread those laminate woods were easily maintained and would take abuse of missed shots and sky shots. And he sold them at a good price too for a pro line club. Lots of the guys there started with the Ram Fastback or the Bristol models with those large soles so for them it was natural progression to a similar but better club. I remember around Christmas one year he sold about 8 complete sets bags and all. I remember because I had to unbox all that stuff and put into the apporiate bags for "under the Christmas tree". It also brought back memories of our Wilson rep he was one promoter. He had put up a Wilson Christmas tree display that year. When wives shopping saw the tree they were prone to order Wilson stuff

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @dcopp7 said:

> > Hit a beautiful 9 holes today with the '69 X31s. Such incredible irons. Woods were Sam Snead driver and Wilson Staff laminate 3&5 woods. I forgot to bag a putter so I used the 2i. Lolqcwdkh5mr7ni.jpg

> >

>

> Brings back memories for sure----- My old man sold a lot of X-31s to the weekend warriors at the course----- Like we discussed on another thread those laminate woods were easily maintained and would take abuse of missed shots and sky shots. And he sold them at a good price too for a pro line club. Lots of the guys there started with the Ram Fastback or the Bristol models with those large soles so for them it was natural progression to a similar but better club. I remember around Christmas one year he sold about 8 complete sets bags and all. I remember because I had to unbox all that stuff and put into the apporiate bags for "under the Christmas tree". It also brought back memories of our Wilson rep he was one promoter. He had put up a Wilson Christmas tree display that year. When wives shopping saw the tree they were prone to order Wilson stuff

Was the X-31 a line that Wilson maintained over the years, rather like the Staff label or FG moniker? I've seen a few X-31s up for sale in Japan, but they didn't look like the ones pictured above. Think some of them had a round weight towards the toe.

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > @dcopp7 said:

> > > Hit a beautiful 9 holes today with the '69 X31s. Such incredible irons. Woods were Sam Snead driver and Wilson Staff laminate 3&5 woods. I forgot to bag a putter so I used the 2i. Lolqcwdkh5mr7ni.jpg

> > >

> >

> > Brings back memories for sure----- My old man sold a lot of X-31s to the weekend warriors at the course----- Like we discussed on another thread those laminate woods were easily maintained and would take abuse of missed shots and sky shots. And he sold them at a good price too for a pro line club. Lots of the guys there started with the Ram Fastback or the Bristol models with those large soles so for them it was natural progression to a similar but better club. I remember around Christmas one year he sold about 8 complete sets bags and all. I remember because I had to unbox all that stuff and put into the apporiate bags for "under the Christmas tree". It also brought back memories of our Wilson rep he was one promoter. He had put up a Wilson Christmas tree display that year. When wives shopping saw the tree they were prone to order Wilson stuff

>

> Was the X-31 a line that Wilson maintained over the years, rather like the Staff label or FG moniker? I've seen a few X-31s up for sale in Japan, but they didn't look like the ones pictured above. Think some of them had a round weight towards the toe.

Actually those in the States were the 76 or 77 Staffs. Wilson gurus correct me if I am wrong. They had a threaded in weight disc and a hollow cavity. I never saw the weight kit in person but someone on here one night posted one. They came off by using a standard 2 prong spike wrench. Over the years I have seen everything from lead powder lead shot and washers stuffed in them.