2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

2 hours ago, Gsea said:

Gorgeous day, took out the 65 Dynapowers, 77 Hogans all in a Jones bag with Z-balata balls. Not sure I could improve on this.

IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

Ohh man!  This is something I dream of!  I need one of those putters to go along with my Wilson blades.   They are pretty pricey tho no?

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

On 9/23/2020 at 7:23 PM, Gsea said:

Gorgeous day, took out the 65 Dynapowers, 77 Hogans all in a Jones bag with Z-balata balls. Not sure I could improve on this.

IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

All I can say is excellent my friend excellent

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Went back to the par 3 this morning and stuck with just the Turf Riders.

I didn’t hit them much differently than my FG17s which are an inch longer.   I can’t figure what is and what isn’t for me.

All I know is it felt good hitting a 3 iron from 1962 on to the green from a tee.

F90F4736-7023-48DD-BCD7-D409A8172465.jpeg

Edited by oldpinggolfer
  • Like 3

On 9/23/2020 at 4:28 PM, oldpinggolfer said:

First time adding to this historic thread:

Today was a fun day at the local Par 3.   I usually walk there it’s so close and it’s become my second home this summer with the Covid situation.  I used to golf once every 5 years and now it’s 2-4 times a week.

My cousin’s boyfriend is about the same skill level as me and he’s been taking lessons.  He was gifted a set of Ping I3s that he says the sweet spot is too small on.

We hadn’t played till June and today was my first full round with traditional  blades.  Wilson FG-17s and a ‘63 Turf Rider 3I for fun.  It has always been my grandfather’s hand me down Eye 2s or that one time I used the Fg59 Goose Necks.

I finished 10 strokes less than my partner.  He was frustrated with his clubs and “modern” putter and I sure has some lousy shots but I have to say the thought that I might hit the next ball just right and feel that blade on ball sensation was enough for me to not get too frustrated.

When can I go again? 

83DE1236-C601-4EC0-9221-79D3A2612823.jpeg

Those 17s look good!

I left the FG17s at home today and replaced them with 1984-1986 Wilson Tour Blades Fluid Feel.

They feel more like my vintage Wilsons so I think they may have earned a more permanent spot.

I picked up a beater 2i Turf Rider.  This is not from my set I posted earlier but it's similar as in it has the original grip but it has an R shaft as opposed to the S.  I really can't tell the difference.  I gave it a work out today as to I was the only one on the course and got to use it a bunch from the one "longish" hole at the local par 3.   I was in between rainstorms and enjoyed being the only one on the course!

IMG_7725.jpg

IMG_7723.jpg

IMG_7727.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Gsea said:

This is going to be my now to the snow flies bag. Can't get better than eye2s, 975s, jones bag, club house brews on the deck and fall colors. Plus I love hitting this driver off the deck altho don't really ever need to 🙂

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

Part of the fun in doing stuff like this is trying to pull off shots with certain clubs when you really don't need to. Or at least it is that way for me

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Drainey15 said:

My classic playing set right now sears and Roebuck Arnold palmers 2-9 , Dunlop 1 & 3, bullseye putter 

DC711BE0-B8F0-4A1F-B2BD-E501CF5A7CDD.jpeg

Brings back pleasant memories. Many of the weekend warriors at my old mans course played a similar set up. Bag Boy pull cart spikes on the concrete etc. Yeah I know you did not have the bag boy cart but your set up sorta brought back those memories but that is one sharp Titleist bag you have

I remember those Palmers from junior high and caddying

I bought the Sam Snead Blue Ridge 1/2 set with my paper route money around 1967

Last year I found a nice Blue Ridge set on Ebay  for nostalgia but have not hit them- I do have some Cary Middlecoff k28 Wilsons with the cool reminder grip and they are fun to hit !

On 9/23/2020 at 4:28 PM, oldpinggolfer said:

First time adding to this historic thread:

Today was a fun day at the local Par 3.   I usually walk there it’s so close and it’s become my second home this summer with the Covid situation.  I used to golf once every 5 years and now it’s 2-4 times a week.

My cousin’s boyfriend is about the same skill level as me and he’s been taking lessons.  He was gifted a set of Ping I3s that he says the sweet spot is too small on.

We hadn’t played till June and today was my first full round with traditional  blades.  Wilson FG-17s and a ‘63 Turf Rider 3I for fun.  It has always been my grandfather’s hand me down Eye 2s or that one time I used the Fg59 Goose Necks.

I finished 10 strokes less than my partner.  He was frustrated with his clubs and “modern” putter and I sure has some lousy shots but I have to say the thought that I might hit the next ball just right and feel that blade on ball sensation was enough for me to not get too frustrated.

When can I go again? 

83DE1236-C601-4EC0-9221-79D3A2612823.jpeg

17s are tough set to beat. Gave $50 for my first set on a fluke. Best $50 on golf I’ve ever spent!! Shot 79 with ‘em today. Could get a putt to fall for love nor money🥴

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dr. Block said:

There aren’t many days left in the season up in my neck of the woods. So I got the old kit out today.  That kit would be 76 Staffs and Penna persimmons with modern S400 shafts.  A Ping Eye 2 SW and a Staff tour blade 1 iron and Mac persimmon driver along for giggles (both the Mac and 1 iron have their original firm flex shaft).

First of all, I am not an expert ball striker.  I carry my decent index due to my short game and putter. That said, I am always presently surprised how much more accurate I am with the longest clubs when I go vintage.  I can’t really go after them at more then about 80 percent, so I always settle into a nice rhythm right away. 

I played the Aurora Country Club.  My home track. It’s a nice little Bendelow design, with treacherous greens.  Sadly it hasn’t stood up well to the evolution of equipment, but it’s quite a charmer using the equipment it was designed for. 

I think I shot an 80 or so mostly from the trees as I was really struggling to get the persimmon going.  I did hit enough pure irons to remind myself that there aren’t many clubs that feel much better then a buttoned Wilson staff blade.  I also hit two scorching 1 iron tee shots on crucial tight holes.  Those alone were worth the price of admission.  

Glad to finally contribute to this great thread.  I’ve enjoyed reading it for years.

Best to you my fellow vintage enthusiasts

-Matt 

FC31974C-282E-442E-8232-ACF06C3EB5E3.jpeg

I love those Staff blades. I see you've got the modern EYE2 SW; I'm pondering getting the SW and LW. I have an original BeCu L wedge which I really like, but it really shreds the ball. I hit it once in my last round, a pitch of about 50 yards, so by no means a full stroke, and it ripped up the cover of my surlyn wound Titleist. Couldn't believe it. Not so bad on modern balls, so I might play the old L-wedge with new balls, and the new SW and L-wedge with old balls.

@oldpinggolfer

I also really love the wingback design of those Macgregors. Are they copper-faced?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I love those Staff blades. I see you've got the modern EYE2 SW; I'm pondering getting the SW and LW. I have an original BeCu L wedge which I really like, but it really shreds the ball. I hit it once in my last round, a pitch of about 50 yards, so by no means a full stroke, and it ripped up the cover of my surlyn wound Titleist. Couldn't believe it. Not so bad on modern balls, so I might play the old L-wedge with new balls, and the new SW and L-wedge with old balls.

@oldpinggolfer

I also really love the wingback design of those Macgregors. Are they copper-faced?

Thanks.  I love them too.  They were a grail find for me.  Completely refurbed and reshafted by the previous owner - they look brand new.  Stuff like that doesn’t show up very often for us lefties.  

As far as the Pings, I’d get them.  Every time I play this set I’m reminded of just how good a Ping Eye 2 wedge is.  Especially out of the sand.  I might get a LW and just use them no matter what bag I’m playing.  I have Vokey SM8’s in my modern bag, and I think the Ping Eye 2 is better in a lot of ways.  Next time I get new wedges, I’m getting PM grinds.  Phil has basically had Callaway make a Eye 2 tribute with those things. 

Edited by Dr. Block

2 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

Thanks.  I love them too.  They were a grail find for me.  Completely refurbed and reshafted by the previous owner - they look brand new.  Stuff like that doesn’t show up very often for us lefties.  

As far as the Pings, I’d get them.  Every time I play this set I’m reminded of just how good a Ping Eye 2 wedge is.  Especially out of the sand.  I might get a LW and just use them no matter what bag I’m playing.  I have Vokey SM8’s in my modern bag, and I think the Ping Eye 2 is better in a lot of ways.  Next time I get new wedges, I’m getting PM grinds.  Phil has basically had Callaway make a Eye 2 tribute with those things. 

I just wanted to check the colour-code before I buy. The ones in the local shop are blue, which I believe is slightly upright, so they should be perfect for me. Now I just need to decide whether to get just the SW, or the SW and LW. Decisions, decisions...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

@oldpinggolfer

Yeah they are copper faced.  I had not seen one in the flesh until yesterday afternoon.   Really nice looking clubs.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I just wanted to check the colour-code before I buy. The ones in the local shop are blue, which I believe is slightly upright, so they should be perfect for me. Now I just need to decide whether to get just the SW, or the SW and LW. Decisions, decisions...

I don’t know this for sure, but I thought I remember reading or hearing a Ping Eye 2 SW is a little weaker in loft. Something like 57 degrees.  You might not need the LW if you’re gapping with a classic set and a weaker lofted PW.  Plus, and this is my chosen approach to classic golf, I like to keep the ball along the ground.  I try to use my imagination and hit most of the short game shots with my blade PW unless I really need to go upstairs with it, or I’m in the sand. 

I think “WWSD”....”What would Seve do” 🙂 

Edited by Dr. Block

1 hour ago, Dr. Block said:

I don’t know this for sure, but I thought I remember reading or hearing a Ping Eye 2 SW is a little weaker in loft. Something like 57 degrees.  You might not need the LW if you’re gapping with a classic set and a weaker lofted PW.  Plus, and this is my chosen approach to classic golf, I like to keep the ball along the ground.  I try to use my imagination and hit most of the short game shots with my blade PW unless I really need to go upstairs with it, or I’m in the sand. 

I think “WWSD”....”What would Seve do” 🙂 

I think the original was 57*, and the XG is 56*, but I'm thinking along the same lines as you. I find the EYE 2 wedges go higher than most other wedges, perhaps because of the offset or the weight distribution, so I reckon I should be able to get the ball up high enough with the SW. 

Also, I have an original L-Wedge, and I'm not bothered by the groove rule because I'm not an elite amateur, merely an elite hacker.

The main reason why I'm considering the LW in the second hand shop is that it is clearly the other half of the set, as it has the same blue dot lie, same grip (a midsize), and same shaft. I don't like the idea of splitting them up...

WWSD? Flare his drive way out right, hit an amazing recovery, chip it stiff and tap in for the par. Over and over again.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gsea said:

eye2 sw 57.5, lw 61

eye2 + sw 53, lw 58

I carry the eye 2 + sw better gaping for me. Need a lw just open the face a little.

I've always thought that loft difference between the EYE2 SW and EYE2 + SW was remarkable.

Anyway, I bought the SW yesterday. Now do I get the new LW as well or just stick with my original BeCu one. My wallet says stick with the BeCu one, my inner 'ho says "why not both?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Played today with my Goosenecks, '64 8802, Cleveland R69 driver, MT1W 3 wood, and M75 driver. I was crushing the 3 wood. For a club that is down lower on the collectable list, I sure hit that well, which isn't bad considering it cost me $1.50 (plus a few hours in labor).

I only hit the M75 once, but I couldn't have gone out and dropped in a better place, then hit a wedge to 4 inches.

24 minutes ago, Jiggered said:

Last round before we go into a 4 week Covid lockdown on Thursday 5th here in England.

Course was still wet from a lot of recent rain so I played the graphite headed Mizuno "White Fang" 1, 3 & 5 woods together with Slazenger Ambassador irons 3 to SW plus matching putter.

Played better than some of the awful rounds I've played recently and hit enough good shots to keep me keen until 2nd December when hopefully we'll be back out playing.

image.png.7e48f0787c4bbd48d8546e1d187ae927.png

Nice set up there.

I had a graphite 3w when I started out, and I loved that club. I think it was a Yonex. Anyway, one day I one fat, and the thing cracked all around the hosel. Not vertically, but horizontally.

• Sad 1