Rounds with a Vintage Bag

1 hour ago, Jiggered said:

Last round before we go into a 4 week Covid lockdown on Thursday 5th here in England.

Course was still wet from a lot of recent rain so I played the graphite headed Mizuno "White Fang" 1, 3 & 5 woods together with Slazenger Ambassador irons 3 to SW plus matching putter.

Played better than some of the awful rounds I've played recently and hit enough good shots to keep me keen until 2nd December when hopefully we'll be back out playing.

image.png.7e48f0787c4bbd48d8546e1d187ae927.png

Jiggered,

I fear we may not be far behind you here in Scotland. Hoping to make the most of it while weather and Covid restrictions permit.

My persimmons are already hibernating and I have moved to my usual practice of a half set only through winter.

Last round was on Sunday when I gamed my Taylormade Burner + (Tour Driver still incarcerated in the locked down locker room!) , matching 4 wood, Fg17 1,3,5,7 &9, Hogan wedge and Zebra putter.

Score would have been respectable had I not air mailed the green into gorse from a green side bunker and racked up a triple! Proper foozled shot!

2 Dec will come round quickly. Take care until then.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Foozle said:

Jiggered,

I fear we may not be far behind you here in Scotland. Hoping to make the most of it while weather and Covid restrictions permit.

My persimmons are already hibernating and I have moved to my usual practice of a half set only through winter.

Last round was on Sunday when I gamed my Taylormade Burner + (Tour Driver still incarcerated in the locked down locker room!) , matching 4 wood, Fg17 1,3,5,7 &9, Hogan wedge and Zebra putter.

Score would have been respectable had I not air mailed the green into gorse from a green side bunker and racked up a triple! Proper foozled shot!

2 Dec will come round quickly. Take care until then.

Thanks, hope you can keep playing up there.

I enjoy playing a half set in the winter, and in the summer too, reduces my ambition and so I play better!

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

12 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

Through together a set up here - I got these irons in the summer and basically didn't even look at them until I got another set of Marumans. These are the Conductor SX. A similar set was played by Ian Woosnam. The wedge at the beginning is actually from the set I got this week  - the Conductor 400C.

The woods are lovely - the Dunaway Cleveland. It's funny because I played with a really great player with the same last name. I have to try to find him to get him to buy this guy!

Tried to make the photos look nice too. Some worked some didn't... Nothing like a set of classic clubs and this bag is a NOS Conductor bag. Made in Japan. Slightly discolored, but she's a beauty, Clark.

2FC55295-3A3A-43BD-9306-19A307D33A5F.jpeg

D927E49A-5BD1-43C3-9399-D5685EFCD026.jpeg

1F7367C0-B8B6-4C8C-881A-A4ECAC910CFC.jpeg

22DD3C4A-FB8F-4754-8A62-D23820F85E86.jpeg

1CF2BA23-8294-4556-AD61-1C3458492BE4.jpeg

DCCC89BF-9A1B-47DF-96F0-F60E1122E51D.jpeg

Cracking set up right there. Cleveland persimmons are usually priced fairly high (¥15,000~) on our favourite auction site, so I've yet to pick one up, but I know you are good at searching out bargains.

Those Marumans look wonderfully meaty. I need to get some good old Maruman's to try one of these days, but I'm not sure of what's good and what's not. By the way, those SX irons of yours don't appear to have the much-vaunted Maruman Sole. Wonder if that was Woosnam's preference?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2020 at 8:05 PM, Dr. Block said:

There aren’t many days left in the season up in my neck of the woods. So I got the old kit out today.  That kit would be 76 Staffs and Penna persimmons with modern S400 shafts.  A Ping Eye 2 SW, and a Staff Tour Blade 1 iron and Mac persimmon driver along for giggles (both the Mac and 1 iron have their original firm flex shaft).

First of all, I am not an expert ball striker.  I carry my decent index due to my short game and putter. That said, I am always presently surprised how much more accurate I am with the longer clubs when I go vintage.  I can’t really go after them at more then about 80 percent, so I always settle into a nice rhythm right away. 

I played the Aurora Country Club.  My home track. It’s a nice little Bendelow design, with treacherous greens.  Sadly it hasn’t stood up well to the evolution of equipment, but it’s quite a charmer using the equipment it was designed for. 

I think I shot an 80 or so mostly from the trees as I was really struggling to get the persimmon going.  I did hit enough pure irons to remind myself that there aren’t many clubs that feel much better then a buttoned Wilson staff blade.  I also hit two scorching 1 iron tee shots on crucial tight holes.  Those alone were worth the price of admission.  

Glad to finally contribute to this great thread.  I’ve enjoyed reading it for years.

Best to you my fellow vintage enthusiasts

-Matt 

FC31974C-282E-442E-8232-ACF06C3EB5E3.jpeg

Love the Eye2 sand wedge!  Perfect 80's setup!

• Thanks 1

Ping G410 Driver
Cally Epic 4 Wood

Founders Club 200 Series MBs or BeCu Ping Eye2 or MacGregor CB92s, Ping Eye2 SW

Ping Zing2, MyDay in BeCu or Goodwood SS Sunday

On 10/19/2020 at 8:40 AM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

The weather's been so good here, I was desperate to get out and play, so I took out the persimmons for nine holes in the evening. I haven't played persimmon in about three months as I've been struggling with my woods (modern and old), and as modern ones are easier to hit, I've been using those.

However, I thought I had turned the corner, so I took some persimmons and Mac Murifields out for nine holes with a friend. Apart from one cold top, I did OK with the woods, but I'm still missing something in my swing. Overall, my ball-striking wasn't great, but my misses were usable. and I generally chipped well.

Putting let me down, and that was the only modern club in my bag, but it was my fault not the putter. I started as I meant to go on: by three putting the first green from within 4-foot for a double. Classy.

Best shot was probably a 7i on a long par 4 to set up a good birdie chance. However, m1219108941_Lookingbackdownthefifth.jpg.b57532065af1f374c0d41d57e06bfe08.jpg652049111_SetfromthetopOct202.jpg.553ad79c408946b64a62f6ec8928eb75.jpg2031653680_Birdiechanceon5.jpg.9cfa317e352b0a8cce577c9e0faf7e1a.jpg1008669358_Fourthgreenfromback_2.jpg.31a675e0c989fa1b7f40f67e87610f56.jpgy putt didn't even sniff the hole.

The friend I was playing with may be coming around to persimmon. I've brought along my persimmons when playing with him a few times, and today he express interest in getting some of his own to try. 

Set from the side Oct 2020.jpg

Love it especially the set up on the bottom end with the JP wedge and Ping Eye2 LW

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

On 11/6/2020 at 7:17 AM, Christen_The_Sloop said:

Through together a set up here - I got these irons in the summer and basically didn't even look at them until I got another set of Marumans. These are the Conductor SX. A similar set was played by Ian Woosnam. The wedge at the beginning is actually from the set I got this week  - the Conductor 400C.

The woods are lovely - the Dunaway Cleveland. It's funny because I played with a really great player with the same last name. I have to try to find him to get him to buy this guy!

Tried to make the photos look nice too. Some worked some didn't... Nothing like a set of classic clubs and this bag is a NOS Conductor bag. Made in Japan. Slightly discolored, but she's a beauty, Clark.

2FC55295-3A3A-43BD-9306-19A307D33A5F.jpeg

D927E49A-5BD1-43C3-9399-D5685EFCD026.jpeg

1F7367C0-B8B6-4C8C-881A-A4ECAC910CFC.jpeg

22DD3C4A-FB8F-4754-8A62-D23820F85E86.jpeg

1CF2BA23-8294-4556-AD61-1C3458492BE4.jpeg

DCCC89BF-9A1B-47DF-96F0-F60E1122E51D.jpeg

Nice all the way around and I love the way you really detailed the bag shining up all the hardware

22 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Nice all the way around and I love the way you really detailed the bag shining up all the hardware

Thanks! I've been searching for nice used staff bags for a long time - to put spare irons and whatnot. Came across this one a little while ago on my favorite auction site. It's from 1991-2 and it came in the original box, with tags and plastic wrap. I would say it's the best $100 I've spent this year, but I don't want to take it out of the box. 

• Like 2

On 10/22/2020 at 7:00 PM, coldwareragolfer said:
Hit the par 3 with a buddy who is into the old gear too.  He may be a member here?

I had ‘59 Wilson Staffs, a ‘58 reissue sw, and a mid 60s Arnold Palmer Personal Putter.
I also realize I need a more era appropriate bag when I look at these pictures.

He had ‘56 MacGregors which I’m sure he could fill in the details better than I.
It was a good round if after heavy morning rains.

If anyone is in the Chicagoland era and wants to play next year let me know!
122482213_10100798420745999_551169115649

122128314_10100798420770949_287375864654

122403850_10100798420805879_340850873013

Hey there, 

I would love to play next year. I'm in Southern WI. I've met a couple Chicago guys on here and 2 others from Wisconsin. We can try to get something together in 2021.

• Like 1

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

4 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Thanks, BIG_STU. I really like the Wilson wedges, and that Ping BeCu L-wedge is just a beauty in the sand and around the greens. I was given in about 30 years ago, hung onto even though I didn't like it at first, then I played it a few years ago when I was back in the UK and realised what a gem it was. I liked it so much, 2 years ago I decided it needed to come back to Japan with me, so I bought some PVC pipe to cover the shaft, bubble wrapped the protruding head, and it flew back with me via Helsinki. 

I was VERY relieved to see it come out in one piece on the luggage carousel at Fukuoka airport (Well done, Finnair!).

Well, of *course* the Finns took care of you.   

Bias alert:  my grandparents emigrated from Finland 110 years ago.  🙂

• Like 4

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

19 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Well, of *course* the Finns took care of you.   

Bias alert:  my grandparents emigrated from Finland 110 years ago.  🙂

And when they left they were heard to say "I'm finnished with this country!"

Finnair are--or were until this pandemic--flying a direct route from Fukuoka to Helsinki from April to October. I was planning to go back that way to the UK this summer with the family and spend a night or two in Helsinki on the return, but that has to wait for another time. 

Interestingly, when I looked at things like their baggage allowance, I noticed that they seem to cater for golfers. I guess golf is pretty popular there, but since they can't play in the winter there, they have to fly down to warmer places like Spain to play.

Don't we have a member on this board based in Finland? A certain Hogan fan?

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname
Clumsy English and poor style. Annoying repetition of the adverb "pretty".
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

And when they left they were heard to say "I'm finnished with this country!"

Finnair are--or were until this pandemic--flying a direct route from Fukuoka to Helsinki from April to October. I was planning to go back that way to the UK this summer with the family and spend a night or two in Helsinki on the return, but that has to wait for another time. 

Interestingly, when I looked at things like their baggage allowance, I noticed that they seem to cater for golfers. I guess golf is pretty popular there, but since they can't play in the winter there, they have to fly down to warmer places like Spain to play.

Don't we have a member on this board based in Finland? A certain Hogan fan?

My grandparents were from Kuusamo and Rovaniemi.  Kuusamo is 60km from the Arctic Circle, Rovaniemi is largely on it.  I've wondered how much that played a part.  

It's possible the relationship with Russia (they were still a Russian Grand Duchy at the time) and the pending independence movement could have played a part, as well.  My father was born here in the USA, but his brother, who was his eldest sibling, was born in Kuusamo.  They could have been looking for the proverbial "better life" as the family started.

Sorry for the brief seriousness injected.  🙂

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 4

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

37 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

My grandparents were from Kuusamo and Rovaniemi.  Kuusamo is 60km from the Arctic Circle, Rovaniemi is largely on it.  I've wondered how much that played a part.  

It's possible the relationship with Russia (they were still a Russian Grand Duchy at the time) and the pending independence movement could have played a part, as well.  My father was born here in the USA, but his brother, who was his eldest sibling, was born in Kuusamo.  They could have been looking for the proverbial "better life" as the family started.

Cool History lesson no joke

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Finland gained independence from Russia soon after the 1917 Bolshevik revolution, didn't it? So does that mean your grandparents emigrated during WWI? That must have been a nervous crossing, as in early 1917 Germany announced that its U-boats would attack any ships in the war zone (not sure how they defined "war zone").

Anyway, if your grandparents arrived at Ellis Island in the middle of a New York winter, I hope they annoyed all the immigrants coming from Southern Europe by complaining about the heat😄

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Finland gained independence from Russia soon after the 1917 Bolshevik revolution, didn't it? So does that mean your grandparents emigrated during WWI? That must have been a nervous crossing, as in early 1917 Germany announced that its U-boats would attack any ships in the war zone (not sure how they defined "war zone").

Anyway, if your grandparents arrived at Ellis Island in the middle of a New York winter, I hope they annoyed all the immigrants coming from Southern Europe by complaining about the heat😄

They came over in 1910 or 1911.  We had an oblong woven basket we kept in our basement, it was what my grandparents used to carry my uncle (born June, 1909) while they were on the ship.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

They came over in 1910 or 1911.  We had an oblong woven basket we kept in our basement, it was what my grandparents used to carry my uncle (born June, 1909) while they were on the ship.

That's a rather cool family keepsake; a reminder of their voyage to a new life in the USA.

My own immigrant story is less romantic: After coming and going a few times, I decided to stay here.

I could hand down my Ping BeCu L-wedge through the generations as a reminder of my descendants' British origins. All they'd have to do is call Ping to check the serial number, and be told it was sold in the UK in 1989 (or thereabouts)😜

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname
missed a word out
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is something about those pre-WW ocean crossings that trump transoceanic flights. I can't even remember how many times I've crossed the pacific in the air. Just once I'd like to experience it on a ship, but not a cruise. I'd like to take a container ship back to Vancouver someday. That'd be a good exercise in patience I think.

I'm hoping to leave a few sets of nice forged irons with worn out sweet spots. Slowly starting to see some wear in my current irons. But, it's pretty slow going.

5 hours ago, BIG STU said:

LOL pretty good legacy if you ask me---- I guess my legacy will leave some collector scratching his head. I have a set of non 20th Muirfields with Apex Shafts and Hogan SNs on the ferrules. 

I can almost picture the thread on GolfWRX in 2078: "Help needed in identifying these vintage Macgregor irons with weird shafts"....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

Likely the last round of the year in Chicagoland this past Saturday. I spent it walking by myself with my 76 Staffs, Penna persimmons, and some good old tunes croaking through my earbuds. Not too loud that I couldn't hear the magnificence of a persimmon strike, but loud enough that I could get lost in my own little world. 

I came to a very specific conclusion as I crested the hill of the driveway leaving the club, and it was a simple fact: I play my best golf with old school clubs.

I have a long old fashioned golf swing. Lots of hands; lots to time. When I use demanding golf clubs, I swing the best version of that swing. There is no concern of carrying a trap, or un-corking a bomb off a four inch peg, but rather a feeling of where the clubhead is and how to get it back to the ball properly. I don't try to juice an iron past its threshold to get to a tucked pin. I club up. I make good strikes and shape shots responsibly to specific target areas. I play golf the way I learned to play it. I guess I haven't the mental discipline to evolve to the modern game, but I do know, now, that I will stop trying. I just don't enjoy it. It only leads me to frustration. 

Next season, I will peacefully live in the 70's and 80's retro approach all year, no exceptions. I will surely take a fair amount of ribbing from the uninitiated, but I'm used to that. Golf is just more interesting with older clubs. That used to be an opinion for me, now, it is a proclamation. 

I with you 100% on these sentiments.  I'm full time persimmon and 1960's era irons.  I have moved up a tee, due to back surgery coupled with the old clubs.  I'm loving the game more than ever.  Hit em good

• Thanks 2

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

Just now, Hit em good said:

I with you 100% on these sentiments.  I'm full time persimmon and 1960's era irons.  I have moved up a tee, due to back surgery coupled with the old clubs.  I'm loving the game more than ever.  Hit em good

Yep I moved up a set of tees for now because of my back injury. I am up on the super senior tees

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Excellent post thanks for posting it. It has given me hope and perspective. During my rehab for my broken back I continued to try to play in the weekly dog fight scramble. I had tried a combination of lighter clubs tried to hit the ball too hard and got out of sorts. Ended up hurting myself and could not hit the ball a lick. My wife suggested I may have to learn all over again. Now the docs have said that my back and shoulder are healed structually wise and nothing I can do short of another violent fall can hurt them. The docs do suspect I may have nerve damage in my lower back. Anyhow went back last week to hitting my FC-4000s and persimmon woods. Played 2 nine hole rounds Monday and Tuesday. Did ok got some of my feel and rhythm back. Main thing I was not overswinging because I know I can hit the old stuff just so far. Told my guys I am out of the dogfight until at least spring. But yep you put it into perspective for me.

Thanks Stu. I'm glad I could help. You've done the same for me over the years, so I'm happy I could send some good vibes back down South. Sorry to hear about your injuries, but also happy to hear you are on the mend and have found some of your old school mojo again. 

I think you make a great point about what modern equipment can do to golfers like us. Golfers who learned to swing the club smoothly with the demanding equipment. I think we count on rhythm and tempo to compensate for some possible homemade idiosyncrasies. I always have the best of intentions (with the new clubs) to swing like I'm using the old stuff, but I always end up going in the wrong direction. I lose trust in my swing and start working on things. It's almost like I can't help but try to be a hitter with them. I know it's me, and its not the equipment, but it is a funny thing. 

I'm sure you'll be back in the dogfights in no time, and maybe you'll even pop a skin or two using the old kit. If you do, please recount it in this thread for our enjoyment. 

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hit em good said:

Thanks, you do the same. It's always good to come into this part of the forum and share some kind words with golfers who understand and appreciate the same things I do. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

Next season, I will peacefully live in the 70's and 80's retro approach all year, no exceptions. I will surely take a fair amount of ribbing from the uninitiated, but I'm used to that. Golf is just more interesting with older clubs. That used to be an opinion for me, now, it is a proclamation. 

Aurora is close to me.  I've been golfing with someone I met on the Persimmon Society on a weekly basis.  He's across the border in WI and I'm in Northbrook.  All retro/vintage for us and we'd love to golf with some new golfers or even do a vintage outing with a small group.  Hit me up if you want to golf next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

4 hours ago, coldwareragolfer said:

Aurora is close to me.  I've been golfing with someone I met on the Persimmon Society on a weekly basis.  He's across the border in WI and I'm in Northbrook.  All retro/vintage for us and we'd love to golf with some new golfers or even do a vintage outing with a small group.  Hit me up if you want to golf next year.

That sounds like a superb idea. There are a lot of nice courses up in that area. I would be honored to join you guys. Thank you. 

In keeping with the Cold War era theme, we can call ourselves the guys who refused to come in from the cold. I get to be Richard Burton. He was “The Spy Who Came in From The Cold”. I’m not sure if he was a golfer, but I do know I can at least drink on his level 🙂 

btw, If you like movies that match the era of the clubs, check that one out. 

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Haha 1