Rounds with a Vintage Bag

12 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

Thanks Stu. I'm glad I could help. You've done the same for me over the years, so I'm happy I could send some good vibes back down South. Sorry to hear about your injuries, but also happy to hear you are on the mend and have found some of your old school mojo again. 

I think you make a great point about what modern equipment can do to golfers like us. Golfers who learned to swing the club smoothly with the demanding equipment. I think we count on rhythm and tempo to compensate for some possible homemade idiosyncrasies. I always have the best of intentions (with the new clubs) to swing like I'm using the old stuff, but I always end up going in the wrong direction. I lose trust in my swing and start working on things. It's almost like I can't help but try to be a hitter with them. I know it's me, and its not the equipment, but it is a funny thing. 

I'm sure you'll be back in the dogfights in no time, and maybe you'll even pop a skin or two using the old kit. If you do, please recount it in this thread for our enjoyment. 

When I go back to the Dog Fights I will have my MacHogan VIPs in the bag. Right now I am hitting the FCs because they are heavier and will build my muscles back up but truthfully I hit both sets just as good. And I will have to play my metal woods for firepower. But if I can hit the persimmon in the screws then the Toyota on a stick is a no brainer. Now I have told them if they let me play off the super senior tees I will play persimmon. LOL they will not stand for that because before I was hurt I shot some near par rounds with the persimmon and blades. 

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

10 hours ago, coldwareragolfer said:

Aurora is close to me.  I've been golfing with someone I met on the Persimmon Society on a weekly basis.  He's across the border in WI and I'm in Northbrook.  All retro/vintage for us and we'd love to golf with some new golfers or even do a vintage outing with a small group.  Hit me up if you want to golf next year.

I am on PGS too and from what I see there are quite a few Vintage golfers up your way. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, coldwareragolfer said:

Aurora is close to me.  I've been golfing with someone I met on the Persimmon Society on a weekly basis.  He's across the border in WI and I'm in Northbrook.  All retro/vintage for us and we'd love to golf with some new golfers or even do a vintage outing with a small group.  Hit me up if you want to golf next year.

I think our esteemed Classic friend Big Arch is up your way in Aurora Ill.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BIG STU said:

That's great. Thanks Stu. It sounds like we'll be able to round out a strong group when the warm weather returns. Unfortunately now, up here, my persimmons will be relegated to their place next to my bar cart, only to be waggled before I pour another glass of whisky. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

That's great. Thanks Stu. It sounds like we'll be able to round out a strong group when the warm weather returns. Unfortunately now, up here, my persimmons will be relegated to their place next to my bar cart, only to be waggled before I pour another glass of whisky. 

Yep you guys are getting it up your way

18 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I'm about as far away from Aurora as you can get and still be in the state of Illinois.  I am down in the southern tip...south of Louisville Ky in terms of latitude.  The yankees up around Aurora all head down this way on the weekends to play as its usually a minimum of 10 degrees warmer down here this time of year.  🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

On 11/30/2020 at 5:11 PM, coldwareragolfer said:

I'm not far from you guys either, just down in Lemont. I play most of my rounds with classic equipment anymore and it's always fun playing with others who enjoy it as well. I'll keep an eye out if anything springs up next year, I'd love to play as well. Heck, if we get enough turnout it might even be fun to have a little parking lot buy/sell/trade for some persimmons after the round.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thepunch_out said:

I'm not far from you guys either, just down in Lemont. I play most of my rounds with classic equipment anymore and it's always fun playing with others who enjoy it as well. I'll keep an eye out if anything springs up next year, I'd love to play as well. Heck, if we get enough turnout it might even be fun to have a little parking lot buy/sell/trade for some persimmons after the round.

The course I'm looking at unfortunately doesn't have a decent hole to hit woods.  So I have to rethink that.  But part of the draw there was they have an outdoor gazebo with grills that I thought we could do a buy/swap, dinner, beers, and maybe a mock scoreboard for kicks.

• Like 1

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

19 minutes ago, coldwareragolfer said:

You got it!  

If you guys come up with something, let me know.  I might be up for a road trip!

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

On 12/1/2020 at 9:39 PM, Bigarch said:

I'm about as far away from Aurora as you can get and still be in the state of Illinois.  I am down in the southern tip...south of Louisville Ky in terms of latitude.  The yankees up around Aurora all head down this way on the weekends to play as its usually a minimum of 10 degrees warmer down here this time of year.  🙂

I've been wanting to get down that way for some golf again as well. Moreso in southern Indiana than Illinois though. I played the Ross course at French Lick probably 10 years ago and I've been meaning to get back to play the Dye course. Ideally, I'd like to play both courses at French Lick and then extend it south a bit to play Sweetens Cove and Sewanee in Tennessee.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Well, the weather was good, and I was invited to a course near me that only measures about 6000 yards, so I thought it would be perfect for persimmon and blades.

Even by Japanese standards, it's a very tight course, especially the second nine, so I didn't bother bagging a driver and instead went 2w, 3w, 5w. Even then, I only hit the 2w on 3 holes....and only hit it well once😢

The 3w I've used before, and is really easy to hit. Did really well with it. It was the first time on the course for the Powerbilt 5w, and it acquitted itself well. It has a nice little metal (bronze?) firing pin. Nutted shots definitely had a slightly metallic feel or sound to them. Anyway, I hit some really nice tee shots and fairway/rescue shots with it.

I hadn't played the Mac Muirfield 20ths in a while, but they performed really well. In fact, I hit some really good iron shots, the best of which was probably a 6i on a 170-ish par 3 to 8-foot. Missed the putt.

Which leads me on to the putter, an Acushnet Bullseye with flange. This was the first time ever, I think, I have used a Bullseye for a round of golf. I've practised with it a lot, but never taken it to the course. 

What surprised me was how well it performed on long putts and "feel" putts with lots of break. I found it really easy to get the weight right, so if I had a downhill-er with lots of break it was great. Where I struggled was with short putts and medium putts that were mostly straight. In other words, I found it to be a great "feel" putter but an awful "mechanical" putter for me.

Oh, and it was perfect for little bump-and-run Texas wedge shots.

877162683_PersimmonbagMar2021_2.jpg.3c786b490a2508855db4166039c96aa5.jpg1157535096_PersimmonbagMar2021_1.jpg.8d12a8030229ff145a20918a0eadd24b.jpg1596534447_PersimmonbagMar2021firsthole.jpg.857c88abbb32845b98cc1c6ec9c46a16.jpg1420284191_PersimmonbagMar202110thhole.jpg.eba99bd05f4f138ac8b2749209dc113b.jpg

Lovely clubs you've got there, and it's always fun getting re-acquainted with an old set. I too took my Bullseye to the practice green for the first time this week and came away pleasantly surprised myself. I even had a random Balata ball in the ball pocket I rolled a few putts with, and my goodness it felt so good off the face.

7 hours ago, thepunch_out said:

Lovely clubs you've got there, and it's always fun getting re-acquainted with an old set. I too took my Bullseye to the practice green for the first time this week and came away pleasantly surprised myself. I even had a random Balata ball in the ball pocket I rolled a few putts with, and my goodness it felt so good off the face.

Thank you. The Mac Muirfield 20ths are fantastic irons, but I've too many sets of other irons to choose from. The only solution is to play MORE golf😁

I bet the balata felt good off the Bullseye! I think the Bullseye feels great even with modern balls. Well, at least it does when I find the somewhat elusive sweet spot on the face...

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname
  • Like 1

First round of the year.   At a course designed in 1926 and owned by the same family since 1959.  Same lengths from back in the day and designed with the old clubs in mind.  What a pleasure to play!  

First time out with the ‘66 RMTs, ‘61 RT2W, and Acushnet Bullseye.EF429433-7962-42F6-969D-8E4E13441189.jpeg.00bd83cb59191cec7f04016f54ac6d6a.jpeg

My playing was lousier than usual but I won’t blame the new irons.  I’m usually Mr. Wilson but I’m going to stick with the MacGregors for a little longer.

The Bullseye is staying the bag.  I found it with a set of clubs during the winter and had not intention of gaming one until I took a few putts with it in my basement.

• Like 4

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

8 minutes ago, coldwareragolfer said:

First round of the year.   At a course designed in 1926 and owned by the same family since 1959.  Same lengths from back in the day and designed with the old clubs in mind.  What a pleasure to play!  

First time out with the ‘66 RMTs, ‘61 RT2W, and Acushnet Bullseye.EF429433-7962-42F6-969D-8E4E13441189.jpeg.00bd83cb59191cec7f04016f54ac6d6a.jpeg

My playing was lousier than usual but I won’t blame the new irons.  I’m usually Mr. Wilson but I’m going to stick with the MacGregors for a little longer.

The Bullseye is staying the bag.  I found it with a set of clubs during the winter and had not intention of gaming one until I took a few putts with it in my basement.

Great bag of clubs! Pleased for you that you have managed your first round this year; I am still waiting but hopefully it won't be too long now.

I have had a recent epiphany with Golden Goose putters, basically identical to the Bullseye's and note that a few others here are also rediscovering the joy and feel of these brass beauties!

2 hours ago, coldwareragolfer said:

I think I've said it before, but I really love the look of those RMT irons. I have a bit of a thing for flat back Scotch blades, and the RMTs really hit the mark for me.

I've always heard Scotch blades are not the easiest design to play, though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I think I've said it before, but I really love the look of those RMT irons. I have a bit of a thing for flat back Scotch blades, and the RMTs really hit the mark for me.

I've always heard Scotch blades are not the easiest design to play, though.

For me the Scotch blades are not that easy to hit and you know that comes from a Mac Blade man

27 minutes ago, coldwareragolfer said:

Walked 9 this morning still weather lower 40s and was comfortable in my sweater by the 2nd hole.

Jones bag filled with every other iron from from the ‘63 MacGregor Tourney M2s.  My partner let me try 3 of his drivers.  I ended up buying the Penna off him in the parking lot.   Acushnet Bullseye to round out the bag.

that's a pal.

• Like 4

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

4 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Went out for nine holes this evening with a friend and my little daughter. I took some Honma Persimmons and Taylormade TD irons from the late Eighties matched with a Taylormade TPA XVIII. Now, I had a set of the TDs as a junior, until they were stolen from me. When I played them back in the day, I never got on with the hollow body long irons, at least not off the deck (they were great off the tee). Today, I found them really easy to hit. I smoked a three iron on one long par 4, with the ball finishing a foot from the fringe. However, an OK chip and 3-putt from six foot left me with a frustrating double bogey.

Although they're over 40 years old, I'm not sure I'd really call the Taylormade TDs "vintage". They're more like irons from the dawn of the modern game. Lots of fun to play, though, and hitting them again after all these years made me feel like a kid again.

Although I didn't hit the 5 wood, the others were good. The 3w is an old favourite. Used it on the first hole, a downhill 385-yard par 4. Left me a SW to the back pin (it's a BIG downhill tee shot), which I hit well to set up a decent look at birdie...and I walked off with a bogey.

The driver is new to me. A Honma Classic with a graphite S-2 felt shaft. I think the Classics were one of Honma's top lines, along with the Tour Models, and the grain on this one is nice, even though the face is a bit battered. I bought it for about $3US plus shipping, so I'm not complaining. It performed really, really well. Very easy to hit and very easy to control. I found all but one fairway with it, and the one I missed I didn't miss by much. May not be the longest driver, but it is reliable.

Best of all, my daughter really enjoyed herself, and hit some great shots. Her best was probably a 70 yard 7i to the first green. Beautiful flight, and she even got a bit of check on it. Not bad for a little 'un.

I forgot to take my camera to the course, but I took a few pictures after I got back:

736762696_PersimmonBagApril2021.jpg.adda1f103e457c613d9a30a6678ead54.jpg960839259_PersimmonBagApril2021thewoods.jpg.caff7031e5784fd841f85b17f174d1ad.jpg546692909_TaylormadeTDsinthebag.jpg.f7e99785a3920c379f7d754561c1a893.jpg

I agree with you on the TD's being the dawn of the modern era. I have a set in my collection which I broadly classify as steel shaft to game improvement. The TD's bookend my collection as, to me, they represent the first toe in the water towards game improvement but, on balance, are more classic blade than game improvement.

Coincidentally, I have just been sorting out my bag for what I hope will be my first hit of the season tomorrow and was debating between my Fg17 1 iron or TD 1 iron. The Fg17 won the toss but reading this might make me reconsider.....