Pic of 8g + 11g SLDR weights + extra toe covers

golfnhack

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Kaimei10 chinese weight was 10gm and it would not fit in the groove as is.

Now, I have the "1st gen" 460 9.5 head with the original SLDR logo. A little bit of filing along the side of the chinese weight, and it fitted easily, slides smooth. The chinese screw was longer and after a couple of twists, it was evident that screw is as cheap as it can get with some wear marks inside groove so I used the original screw.

All up it was easy peasy. Use a heat gun to soften the plate before prying it open (no more than 20 seconds). Then clean the black tape off the plate and head with some goo off.

The longest time was drilling out the hole in the plate - use a punch to start with, then a small drill and then the bigger drill bit. Clamp the edge of the plate to a block of wood and drill away - reason being the plate is NOT flat so the edge hold is good enough. Dropped some thread lock into the plate screw.

I will test how it goes tomorrow and now my SLDR feels as light as my backup Burner Superfast TP 1.0 driver - I hope to be able to turn the head over easier with this lighter head.

Will post some pics of the Kaimei10 chinese weight compared to the original SLDR weight. I also have a 6gm weight I got from Billy Bobs, not sure I need it as this 10gm weight feels nice in the head now. Tomorrow will tell.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Kaimei10 chines sourced weight on the left, OEM on the right

14688273145_a36049d6fe_z.jpg

Chinese 10gm weight on top, OEM 16gm weight bottom:

14501601580_f150362d8f_z.jpg

Cheap screw...

14501828907_51cfdd2258_z.jpg

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

[quote name='Banker' timestamp='1405257099' post='9690785']
Billy Bobs golf is an online store. They make good stuff but saw last night all their sldr weights are already out of stock.

I found the other weight on eBay but, like I said, the one I got doesn't fit & im not confident about a refund....but I knew I was taking a chance when I ordered.

I had posted some screen shots before of the seller, but I think it got taken down for one reason or another.
[/quote]

Billy Bobs has 8 gram weights. $12.50 plus shipping. I just ordered one.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

I really like the 10gm weight in the head with the screw in the cap. Big difference and I am running a Ahina 60 x5ct shaft. Fantastic and well worth the little effort to install it. No loose parts or stuff falling out of the head. Solid.

I have a strange idea if the lighter weight is still too much. Has anyone tried the driver without the sliding weight at all? I am almost positive it may be too light but would this make the club illegal in any way since there are no open ports that it leaves behind?

I also just received another 6g weight (thanks SwingBlues). I will probably grind the chinese one down to 3g so I can have a few different weights to tinker around with.

Marengo, you're welcome! Also, if you don't mind - which buyer was your Chinese weight from? MIne is working great and I did toy with the idea to remove the weight except I lose the ability to add a lil cut/draw - amazingly, even with this lesser weight, it will still effect ball flight. Pretty cool.

dmael is building my Elements Chrome F4T for my SLDR and I should have this early next week - should be SENSATIONAL in the head with the lighter weight. Yah!

• 1 month later...

Got a 8g weight from billy bob's golf, and switched the weight last week. Heated the toe cap with a hair dryer for about 30sec, and was able to pry up the cap and replace the weight. I just decided to replace the 3m tape on the toe cap instead of drilling a hole. Pretty straight forward. Now my sldr comes in at about D3 with an attas 3 6x shaft, playing to about 45.25". Previous swingweight was just over D7.

Got to the range this weekend to test out, and contact was much more consistent. Seems to have eliminated the random over the top pulls I'd get with the heavier swingweight. D7 is probably just too heavy for me to square the head up consistently. Feels like I can swing this club freely, due to the more manageable swingweight, plus contact was consistently in the middle of the face for me.

Would highly recommend this weight change to anyone with the SLDR. Can't imagine why TM would not offer these different weights to the public. Makes no sense to me to be playing a D7 driver, when all my other clubs are in at D2-D3.

Titleist TSR3 9* Diamana ZF 60s
Titleist TSR3 15* Kai'li 70s

TM SIM2 Ti 19* Kai'li 70s

Titleist TSR3 24* Atmos Blue 8s
Srixon ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX6 46,50,54,58 
Betti BB46 or QB6 or Betti BB Proto

• 2 months later...

I recently switched to the SLDR and put my 75g shaft in it att 44,75". What Swing weight will that put me at?

One question I have why TM would make the heads this heavy if it would not bring an upside?

SLDR 10,5 ALDILA RIP Phenom Nasty Long
Taylormade R11 Tour Issue 3-wood project X 7a3
Bridgestone J15 MB 4-PW X100
Bridgestone J15 52, 56, 60 wedges X100
Ping Pick em up L
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1158523-steff-p-witb-20-2015/page__p__11269627__hl__+steff_p#entry11269627"]WITB Link[/url]

Because the SLDR 430 TP version comes stock with the heavier Fujikura Motore speeder 7.3, (77 grams), it is quite possible that TM used a lower gram weight in those heads to compensate for the addtional TP shaft weight.

I would assume that TM wants to keep the drivers at the published D-4 swingweight, so it would certainly make sense for TM to use less weight in the SLDR heads shipped directly from the TM factory with a heavier TP shaft installed.

I can't say for sure this is true, but it would certainly make good sense for TM to do that. If TM does use less weight in the 430 TP head port, then perhaps there are differences in the TP and non-TP models.

I have seen numerous posts stating there are no differences in SLDR TP heads verses non-TP heads, but then again, how many people have actually pried open the weight cover of a 430 TP driver to check which weight was installed there? TM obviously makes several different weights for the port in the SLDR.

Would love to hear from a TM Rep on this matter....

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

[quote name='bobcat' timestamp='1415644738' post='10424675']
Because the SLDR 430 TP version comes stock with the heavier Fujikura Motore speeder 7.3, (77 grams), it is quite possible that TM used a lower gram weight in those heads to compensate for the addtional TP shaft weight.

I would assume that TM wants to keep the drivers at the published D-4 swingweight, so it would certainly make sense for TM to use less weight in the SLDR heads shipped directly from the TM factory with a heavier TP shaft installed.

I can't say for sure this is true, but it would certainly make good sense for TM to do that. If TM does use less weight in the 430 TP head port, then perhaps there are differences in the TP and non-TP models.

I have seen numerous posts stating there are no differences in SLDR TP heads verses non-TP heads, but then again, how many people have actually pried open the weight cover of a 430 TP driver to check which weight was installed there? TM obviously makes several different weights for the port in the SLDR.

[/quote]

Head weights are the same overall. The 430 TP version has a shorter shaft IIRC to compensate for what would be a higher swingweight. Either the shaft was shorter or the shaft balance point was changed, can't remember which.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

[quote name='Golfrnut' timestamp='1415660220' post='10425953']
[quote name='bobcat' timestamp='1415644738' post='10424675']

[/quote]

Head weights are the same overall. The 430 TP version has a shorter shaft IIRC to compensate for what would be a higher swingweight. Either the shaft was shorter or the shaft balance point was changed, can't remember which.
[/quote]

The 430 TP shaft is slightly shorter...45.25" vs 45.5" for the SLDR 460

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

• 11 months later...