2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Random conversation thread

I have done just the opposite: went to a 10 fingered grip from interlocking. :-)

I consider that from time to time. From an old wrist injury, I don't have a lot of flexibility in my right wrist. Baseball grip lets me rotate my club face to the sky and get really flat. But I think it would be too weird.

Weddings and speeches....

Yesterday my youngest son and his girlfriend attended a large wedding in our community for a couple from one of the prominent farming families. There were 350 guests in attendance, the most of which were from the community. The hosts even built a new barn to use as a venue for the occasion!

The standout of the evening at least from the perspective of my son and his partner was the speeches. 4 hours worth of speeches! Yes, I typed that correctly and he was being sarcastic in that characterization.

What in God's green earth requires four hours worth of lauding to be laid upon the happy couple? This is beyond my comprehension! A couple of years ago, my wife and I attended a similar sort of wedding where the speeches dragged on for well over two hours and we were gobsmacked at that. I'm not sure what possesses people to launch into an all out filibuster extolling the virtues of their personal belief system and the impact of such on the events at hand. Perhaps they should start calling these events toasts/reaffirmations rather than weddings!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Yesterday my youngest son and his girlfriend attended a large wedding in our community for a couple from one of the prominent farming families. There were 350 guests in attendance, the most of which were from the community. The hosts even built a new barn to use as a venue for the occasion!

The standout of the evening at least from the perspective of my son and his partner was the speeches. 4 hours worth of speeches! Yes, I typed that correctly and he was being sarcastic in that characterization.

What in God's green earth requires four hours worth of lauding to be laid upon the happy couple? This is beyond my comprehension! A couple of years ago, my wife and I attended a similar sort of wedding where the speeches dragged on for well over two hours and we were gobsmacked at that. I'm not sure what possesses people to launch into an all out filibuster extolling the virtues of their personal belief system and the impact of such on the events at hand. Perhaps they should start calling these events toasts/reaffirmations rather than weddings!

It's part of our culture now where everyone is a special and unique snowflake, and must be honored as such. When you combine how everyone needs to espouse their personal beliefs to let everyone else know how pious they are with their personal beliefs, this is what you get.

I knid of miss the old days where people put more effort into living their personal beliefs, vs. spending all their time telling everyone about them. But I do understand the former requires work and effort, the latter only requires a well oiled jaw.

For my American friends, we had a "national event" on Saturday Night, when a uniquely Canadian band, The Tragically Hip played what appears to be their last live show, and the National Broadcaster (CBC) carried it live on TV and radio. The lead singer was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer earlier this year, so the band wanted to do one last tour to thank their fans.

Although they appeared once on SNL in the early 90's, they never seemed to catch on in the US. In way, too bad, but in a way, good, as they were more artists than stars, and made music they liked, versus what would sell.

Here's my favorite song by them, enjoy.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Two thumbs up for the shout out to The Hip! I've been listening to their playlist since I read your post almost an hour ago and I can't really decide which one of their songs is my favourite as they have told so many great Canadian stories through their lyrics and music over the years.

Perhaps this best exemplifies their work telling the story of David Milgaard.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I have done just the opposite: went to a 10 fingered grip from interlocking. :-)

I consider that from time to time. From an old wrist injury, I don't have a lot of flexibility in my right wrist. Baseball grip lets me rotate my club face to the sky and get really flat. But I think it would be too weird.

Well I'm a weird guy. :-)

How one resort is attempting to increase participation by changing things up. Curious about others take on this article. A quick read:

http://www.golfweek....hings-michigan/

P.S. - Played the Links 9 (Bay Harbor is comprised of three nines) once. A marvelous course. But really needs to be played from the correct set of forward tees. Otherwise, its quite beyond my skill set.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

It's all about the dynamic pricing model to better balance supply with demand. This type of pricing model is being introduced in toll roads with great effect. You pay premiums at the busiest times and receive substantial discounts at lax times.

Make the course easier to play, relax the etiquette and initiate creative pricing and you end up with more throughput, higher revenue and stronger margins. Everyone wins!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

The recreational golfers that play by "USGA rules" are very few to virtually non-exsistent. So a moot point. The two points that I was struck with were:

Course conditioning (i.e less watering to make the course firmer, thus enhancing rollout). Personally, I do not like playing hard fairways. If one does not like consistently hitting 4 irons on second shots, perhaps one is playing the wrong set of tees. When I played this course about 10 years ago, we played the middle tees. IIRC, they had five sets. It was to much for me. As I become more distance challenged daily, when playing these types of courses, with their difficulty, 5700 -5900 yards seems about right. I despise long forced carries.

Second was the acceptance of slow play. Find that rather puzzling. I could almost understand the comment given that this is a destination course. Where playing the round has a certain aesthetic appeal. And one is not typically under a time constraint. Nevertheless, a five hour round is a very long time to play. One is either waiting a lot or looking for lots of golf balls. Very difficult to get into a rhythm when that is the POP. Played a very comparable course to this in the same general vicinity. They made you stay on a POP of 4.5 hours (we actually got around somewhat quicker). Still enjoyed the experience, even more so because we didn't have to wait on every shot.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

The recreational golfers that play by "USGA rules" are very few to virtually non-exsistent. So a moot point. The two points that I was struck with were:

Course conditioning (i.e less watering to make the course firmer, thus enhancing rollout). Personally, I do not like playing hard fairways. If one does not like consistently hitting 4 irons on second shots, perhaps one is playing the wrong set of tees.

IMHO this is somewhat similar to the phenomenon that gave us senior flex shafts labeled as "Firm Flex" and 10° drivers with "7°" stamped on the sole. It's ego. It seems to be especially prominent in the average American male golfer, for some reason. They think they hit the ball farther than they do, swing faster than they actually swing, etc.

Too many players won't play the tees they should be playing. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

If a player can hit the tee ball 180 to 200 yards and keep it in play (not necessarly the fairway) and hit the green 50% of the time with 7 thru pw, and still not "average" 9 pars & 9 bogies, then it is my opinion they are playing a course too long and demanding. A rational person would move up to a more forward tee box. Peer pressure and/or ego keeps them from this. Sad situation.

Course conditioning (i.e less watering to make the course firmer, thus enhancing rollout). Personally, I do not like playing hard fairways. If one does not like consistently hitting 4 irons on second shots, perhaps one is playing the wrong set of tees. When I played this course about 10 years ago, we played the middle tees. IIRC, they had five sets. It was to much for me. As I become more distance challenged daily, when playing these types of courses, with their difficulty, 5700 -5900 yards seems about right. I despise long forced carries.

One thing about course conditioning is that soft fairways lead to really penal rough, even if it's cut fairly short. That's not exactly a plus in my book. So, by saving on watering and keeping conditions firmer you cut your expenses and probably speed up pace of play a bit in the process. Let's face it, reduced water usage is a reality in this day and age.

Second was the acceptance of slow play. Find that rather puzzling. I could almost understand the comment given that this is a destination course. Where playing the round has a certain aesthetic appeal. And one is not typically under a time constraint. Nevertheless, a five hour round is a very long time to play. One is either waiting a lot or looking for lots of golf balls. Very difficult to get into a rhythm when that is the POP. Played a very comparable course to this in the same general vicinity. They made you stay on a POP of 4.5 hours (we actually got around somewhat quicker). Still enjoyed the experience, even more so because we didn't have to wait on every shot.

I think the biggest problem with pace of play is crowding the tee sheet with 8 minute intervals. Even on an executive course that is an undoable rate of play on average by at least 2 minutes. Further to that is allowing singles and twosomes. That just makes pace of play even slower as a foursome will complete a hole much quicker than back-to-back twosomes. But, people aren't interested in playing with strangers and the problem seems to be getting worse as people are less and less socially engaged on a face-to-face basis in the increasingly digital, virtual world.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Well I'm a weird guy. :-)

Weird or not, Art Wall and Bob "Rossi" Rosberg both used the 10 finger grip with a lot of success. I think that at one time, Wall still had more holes-in -one ( or is it Hole-in-ones?) than any other tour player.

Uncle Bob

It's part of our culture now where everyone is a special and unique snowflake

Or at least a Flake anyway.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

No golf today. As you can see I will be busy. The tropical storm arrived on it's appointed time, and wind speeds were just under hurricane strength. Very very blessed that we received almost no rain with the storm as it passed through. After last years flood I was very nervous. Also, no strict all damage to the house. Only 3 months removed from the restoration effort from the flood. Fence is the only real issue. AC unit took a direct hit with the tree, but all it did was knock it off it's platform. Worked right up until we lost power.

The biggest lose was my practice area. Knocked out my outside mirror, mats, and net.

Would have been a widow maker if I had been outside swinging, but, even I was not stupid enough to contemplate that during the storm.

Sorry for the sideways pics

^^^ We got all the rain. My back yard was flooded worse than last October's flood. Water almost got into the shop but stopped 1 inch short of the door. My home course Indian Wells is flooded as bad as it was last year funny thing not as deep but spread out worse. Our #1 hole the only thing you can see is the fairway bunker which is on a mound and the green. NO 2 is about as bad. Now my yard receeded quickly this morning. I do not think we got as much of the wind as you guys did. Never did lose power. The wind did rip one of the gutters off the shop and got the outer layer of the North side of the roof but did not leak. We made it ok looks like you had minimum damage . All I can say is thank The Good Lord above it could have been worse

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Last count, I think Art Wall had 45 +/-

Art Wall is credited with making 45 holes-in-one in his lifetime, a figure that for many years was recognized as the world record (Wall's total has since been surpassed).

Actually that is Art Wall jr. Saw him make probably his last one on the PGA Tour in the 70s at the old Kemper Open in Charlotte at Quail Hollow. And I was a kid and he was pretty old then. Do not know for a fact what number it was for him

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

No golf today. As you can see I will be busy. The tropical storm arrived on it's appointed time, and wind speeds were just under hurricane strength. Very very blessed that we received almost no rain with the storm as it passed through. ..

Glad you made it through safe.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

No golf today. As you can see I will be busy. The tropical storm arrived on it's appointed time, and wind speeds were just under hurricane strength. Very very blessed that we received almost no rain with the storm as it passed through. After last years flood I was very nervous. Also, no strict all damage to the house. Only 3 months removed from the restoration effort from the flood. Fence is the only real issue. AC unit took a direct hit with the tree, but all it did was knock it off it's platform. Worked right up until we lost power.

The biggest lose was my practice area. Knocked out my outside mirror, mats, and net.

Would have been a widow maker if I had been outside swinging, but, even I was not stupid enough to contemplate that during the storm.

Sorry for the sideways pics

its hard to take a picture when you are holding a chainsaw I bet?

A couple of years ago my step-brother got married. My step-father was finding the whole marriage stressful because the bride and her family had caused him a !ot of personal grief. Anyway the bride was in the middle of her very long and narcissistic speech when suddenly there was the sound of glass shattering. Everyone looked in the direction to see my poor old step-father (who was quite tipsy by this stage) slumped in his chair asleep, having dropped his champagne glass.

It was a pefectly-timed Freudian-slip in action!

So wasn't sure where to post this and didn't want to start a new thread. I knew you guys would get a kick out of this none the less. Air quotes I found this last night (in a bucket at the range). Still perfectly round and not a scratch on it.

That Pro Traj 100 is a true relic!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

So wasn't sure where to post this and didn't want to start a new thread. I knew you guys would get a kick out of this none the less. Air quotes I found this last night (in a bucket at the range). Still perfectly round and not a scratch on it.

Nice! I started a thread that became a retro curiosity balls page of sorts if you find more in the range bucket museum:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1355756-the-most-unpretentious-golf-ball-ever/

Thank you JB.

Another couple of perks of working at YHC have opened their door.

With the latest TS in the area the last couple of days we have been busy with busy work around the shops. Was cleaning out an old storage room and found a few old bags and one old set of clubs. Was told to just trash everything, unless there was something I wanted. WELL, I found a set of Burke PGA Tourament Irons, 2-9, with some beautiful leather reminder grips, so they are now in my garage shop getting spruced up. Also one of the other lads found a really nice older Cobra bag in good shape.

That was just in our little neck of the property. I am trying to work a deal out to clean out the main bag room and I think that may lead to some other booty.

Also, the club is hosting a couple of big events the end of this month and the beginning of October, a NCAA Ladies fall classic, and the Devonshire Cup. Can't wait to view some good golf being played in team settings.

Almost forgot, I may never have to buy a golf ball again. I am averaging half a dozen (one hit wonders) golf balls found a day. ProV's and NXT tourS.