The NBA basketball thread 2013-2014

MtlJeff

I always knew Dufner was the man, but.. nice predictions..

[url="http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2014/07/14/jason-dufner-predicted-johnny-manziel-lebron-james-cleveland-0"]http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2014/07/14/jason-dufner-predicted-johnny-manziel-lebron-james-cleveland-0[/url]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/880454-maydaygsxrs-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I don't think Rose needs to be MVP Rose for Chicago to win the East. Because Cleveland is so young and has zero playoff experience I think will play a huge role next summer and into the playoffs. Also who knows how David Blatt will do in regards to a 7 game series and making adjustments.

Chicago has so many advantages over Cleveland that I would be hard pressed not to take Chicago in a 7 game series. They are the best defensive team in the NBA, probably the second or third best coach, the most physical and they just added two big pieces in Pau and Rose. Plus Mic D is the type of rookie that can make an immediate impact, he played all 4 years in college. LeBron is the ultimate equalizer but we have already seen that he can be beaten numerous times.

My power rankings for the East look like this:

1) Chicago
2) Cleveland
3) Toronto
4) Indiana
5) Miami
6) Washington
7) Atlanta
9) Charlotte

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1405392813' post='9702071']
I don't think Rose needs to be MVP Rose for Chicago to win the East. Because Cleveland is so young and has zero playoff experience I think will play a huge role next summer and into the playoffs. Also who knows how David Blatt will do in regards to a 7 game series and making adjustments.

Chicago has so many advantages over Cleveland that I would be hard pressed not to take Chicago in a 7 game series. They are the best defensive team in the NBA, probably the second or third best coach, the most physical and they just added two big pieces in Pau and Rose. Plus Mic D is the type of rookie that can make an immediate impact, he played all 4 years in college. LeBron is the ultimate equalizer but we have already seen that he can be beaten numerous times.

1) Chicago
2) Cleveland
3) Toronto
4) Indiana
5) Miami
6) Washington
7) Atlanta
9) Charlotte
[/quote]

The east could be as good as we've seen it in quite a few years this season.. Although that's not saying a whole lot...

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1405427540' post='9703553']

1) Chicago
2) Cleveland
3) Toronto
4) Indiana
5) Miami
6) Washington
7) Atlanta
9) Charlotte
[/quote]

The east could be as good as we've seen it in quite a few years this season.. Although that's not saying a whole lot...
[/quote]

You know looking at it now, I don't think the east is AS bad as it's made out to be. The top 2-3 teams in the east could legitamitely win the championship next year and their mid-level teams are ok. I know philly keeps tanking but eventually all that 1st-round talent should allow them to be pretty competitive

[quote name='tocino' timestamp='1405447306' post='9705695']
[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1405427540' post='9703553']

1) Chicago
2) Cleveland
3) Toronto
4) Indiana
5) Miami
6) Washington
7) Atlanta
9) Charlotte
[/quote]

[/quote]

You know looking at it now, I don't think the east is AS bad as it's made out to be. The top 2-3 teams in the east could legitamitely win the championship next year and their mid-level teams are ok. I know philly keeps tanking but eventually all that 1st-round talent should allow them to be pretty competitive
[/quote]

I don't think Toronto could make the playoffs in the West. Chicago and Cleveland have a chance at the title, Indiana could sneak into the Eastern finals if they keep Stephenson. Other than that, the East is full of bottom feeders.

Driver #1: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Driver #2: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

1) Chicago
2) Cleveland
3) Toronto
4) Indiana
5) Miami
6) Washington
7) Atlanta
9) Charlotte
[/quote]

i was thinking about this the other day too. I have no objections really with your list it's perfectly possible. I do agree that if Rose is maybe 80% of what he was, they have an excellent chance to be the #1 seed. Cleveland will probably start slow as everyone gets acclimated, and Lebron pistol whips Dion Waiters into shape. I had Indiana 3rd just because they always figure it out (been to back-to-back east finals and have Paul George)....I also think Charlotte has the most upward mobility due to cap space and intriguing team. I still can't figure out why they haven't thrown a short term max contract at Eric Bledsoe or Greg Monroe (a la Parsons) or like 4 yrs 45 to Lance Stephenson

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

As far as the West goes, i see it like this (this is what i think about while i'm playing solo golf at night)

1) SA: (Duncan will probably play less minutes, but Diaw is ready to step up, and they can always hand the keys over to Kawhi whenever they want)
2) OKC: (the team everyone except me loves to hate, i know they still have high hopes for Lamb/Jones/Roberson, and Steven Adams)
3) Clippers: (same team just add Spencer Hawes)
4) Mavericks: (Have a funny feeling about them, they should be able to score a ton and have an amazing coach, they took SA to 7 remember)
5) Memphis: (quietly one of the best records in basketball after Jan 1st, and everyone back + Jordan Adams and Vince Carter)
6) Portland: (Great , great , great offense)
7) Houston: (not a great offseason, but should be better balanced. Ariza/Howard/Beverley gives them 3 high caliber defenders)
8) New Orleans (Get ready for the UNIBROWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! )

Yes i left out Golden State. I don't know, it's not crazy....the West is friggin loaded. New Orleans has Holiday hopefully healthy, with Evans, Gordon, Omer Asik and THE UNIBROW!!!!!! with Ryan Anderson coming off the bench. I think they have a move (either trading Gordon or Evans for a true SF in there too)

I think if New Orleans is healthy they sneak in, and Davis averages 24-12 and 3 blocks. Davis is that good, and having Asik next to him is very good

Davis will be the 3rd best player in the NBA this year, they will make the playoffs!

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='Sidetracked' timestamp='1405485809' post='9710113']
Got to the hotel tonight and right away I spot Wiggins in the Forum Shops. Pretty cool to say the least.
[/quote]

cool!!!!

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Got to the hotel tonight and right away I spot Wiggins in the Forum Shops. Pretty cool to say the least.
[/quote]

Where?

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1405561981' post='9716901']
[/quote]

Where?
[/quote]

Forum shops are at Caesars in Vegas.

I don't think SA will get the #1 seed in the West. Last year they were very hungry after losing in the Finals like they did. I think they played the entire season with some urgency. I expect them to coast a little more this coming regular season and then turn it on come Playoffs. Plus they are not the youngest team and they have played a lot of ball the last few years. Not saying they won't make it back to the Finals, I just don't expect them to finish the regular season with the best record.

I honestly think Dallas is going to make a lot of noise this year. They gave SA all that they could handle and they got better this year.

1) Dallas
2) OKC
3) SA
4) LAC
5) Port
6) Houston
7) GSW
8) Lakers :)

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1405563994' post='9717171']
I don't think SA will get the #1 seed in the West. Last year they were very hungry after losing in the Finals like they did. I think they played the entire season with some urgency. I expect them to coast a little more this coming regular season and then turn it on come Playoffs. Plus they are not the youngest team and they have played a lot of ball the last few years. Not saying they won't make it back to the Finals, I just don't expect them to finish the regular season with the best record.

I honestly think Dallas is going to make a lot of noise this year. They gave SA all that they could handle and they got better this year.

1) Dallas
2) OKC
3) SA
4) LAC
5) Port
6) Houston
7) GSW
8) Memphis
15) Minnesota
16) Lakers :)
[/quote]

Fixed that for you

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

1) Dallas
2) OKC
3) SA
4) LAC
5) Port
6) Houston
7) GSW
[/quote]

I've got OKC in first at the end of the regular season (they could have used Pau). The Spurs are better, but Pop will rest his big three for the post-season and lose some games in the process.

As far as Dallas goes, I have them in the 5-7 range. How about Phoenix, they'll probably get in, no?

And the Lakers are really stocking up on power forwards--Ed Davis yesterday, Carlos Boozer today. A true center would have been nice, because, as of right now, Sacre amd Hill will most likely be our centers.

[quote name='mnplayer' timestamp='1405632358' post='9723139']
So, apparently the Cavs are potentially going to offer Wiggins, Bennet, and a future first for Love. If that's true Flip better take it and run and throw the receipt away.
[/quote]

That's an awful lot to give up for Love, imo, especially since Bennet's been kicking butt this summer. If I'm Minny, I do it yesterday...

[quote name='Son_of_Sahm' timestamp='1405632808' post='9723177'][quote name='mnplayer' timestamp='1405632358' post='9723139']
So, apparently the Cavs are potentially going to offer Wiggins, Bennet, and a future first for Love. If that's true Flip better take it and run and throw the receipt away.
[/quote]

That's an awful lot to give up for Love, imo, especially since Bennet's been kicking butt this summer. If I'm Minny, I do it yesterday...[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. I thought they might want to hold onto Bennett especially because of how he looks in summer league but this seems like he's basically a throw in. I think it's probably a bit too much for Love but if he plays in Cleveland how he did this past year then I don't think either team will have any regrets about it. I hope Love does get some more exposure though, and he will if he goes to Cleveland. He's a lot better than most people realize, I still agree that's too much though.

I still think the Cavs are nuts to trade Wiggins as a basketball fan, but truthfully as a Canadian and supporter or Wiggins...If the trade does happen it may be better for him in the end as a player

Was thinking about it today...There is going to be a mountain of pressure on him if they don't trade him. Every game where he has like 8pts, the media are going to say "they could've had Love". It will be 2x worse then what Russell Westbrook got in OKC every time he had a poor game a few years back

Maybe it's better for Wiggins to get major minutes for a rebuilding team, without the pressure of being a key cog on a title team, which is not fair to him. And for Minnesota they would end up with Lavine and Wiggins finishing for a very good creator in Rubio, and have Dieng on the roster as well. If the Wolves can get Bennett too then to me that's a very fair trade, and sets them up very nicely.

I mean if you think about it, Rubio/Lavine/Wiggins/Bennett/Dieng is a very solid young 5 that will absolutely miss the playoffs and get another lottery pick....if i'm MNplayer i'm very happy with that as a re-start....And Wiggins will get to start his career without the monkey on his back, and with a fellow Torontonian

But who's playing defense in Cleveland? I still think they are nuts to give him up rather then explore trades for other guys without Wiggins. Why is Kevin Love the only NBA player in the world? Eric friggin Bledsoe is just sitting around waiting to be signed for less money

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Speaking of Bledsoe, what the heck am i missing here? Why are no teams offering him a short term max, or something like 4 yrs 52m or something?

So let me get this straight, Gordon Hayward gets the max, but Eric Bledsoe who is 24yrs old, averaged 17-6-4, plays PG or SG, is a very solid defender....and had 48/36 shooting splits is just being ignored. Where is Atlanta? Where is Dallas (who with Dirk's new deal could get him!), where is Houston??? For God's sake Houston, where are you here? Detroit could sign him if motivated

Why is this good a player not getting some love?

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='Son_of_Sahm' timestamp='1405632050' post='9723103']

1) Dallas
2) OKC
3) SA
4) LAC
5) Port
6) Houston
7) GSW
[/quote]

I've got OKC in first at the end of the regular season (they could have used Pau). The Spurs are better, but Pop will rest his big three for the post-season and lose some games in the process.

As far as Dallas goes, I have them in the 5-7 range. How about Phoenix, they'll probably get in, no?

And the Lakers are really stocking up on power forwards--Ed Davis yesterday, Carlos Boozer today. A true center would have been nice, because, as of right now, Sacre amd Hill will most likely be our centers.
[/quote]

Next year is a really big year for OKC, the West didn't really get better though it's still loaded. But no one created a new superteam or anything. With another year under Jackson/Lamb/Jones's belt, hopefully some development from Steven Adams, and a guy who i think might end up as a sneaky good role player in Andre Roberson (seriously, he has a very bizarre skillset, he's an exceptional rebounder for his size and is a really good defender)

If they can round out a rotation with those guys playing real minutes. OKC has to be the favorite next year. I don't buy that Love in Cleveland is enough. OKC is a 2-way team that is really, really due

My guess would be Perry Jones and Roberson make leaps and play big minutes this year. I actually think Roberson might start for them at SG next season

they gotta win next year!

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Still not sure why Bledsoe hasn't received an offer from somewhere as well. They're going to have him, Dragic and Isaiah Thomas on the roster to start next season if nothing changes. I'm confused by that as well..

I wish Dallas could make him an offer but they don't have the money to make any more moves.. They're within 4.5 mil or so of the cap today without Devin Harris' new contract on the books.

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1405647147' post='9724715']
[quote name='Son_of_Sahm' timestamp='1405632050' post='9723103']

1) Dallas
2) OKC
3) SA
4) LAC
5) Port
6) Houston
7) GSW
[/quote]

[/quote]

Next year is a really big year for OKC, the West didn't really get better though it's still loaded. But no one created a new superteam or anything. With another year under Jackson/Lamb/Jones's belt, hopefully some development from Steven Adams, and a guy who i think might end up as a sneaky good role player in Andre Roberson (seriously, he has a very bizarre skillset, he's an exceptional rebounder for his size and is a really good defender)

If they can round out a rotation with those guys playing real minutes. OKC has to be the favorite next year. I don't buy that Love in Cleveland is enough. OKC is a 2-way team that is really, really due

My guess would be Perry Jones and Roberson make leaps and play big minutes this year. I actually think Roberson might start for them at SG next season

they gotta win next year!
[/quote]

I agree that OKC is the favorite to win the west and if I had to bet on a team it would be them. My rankings above are solely based on how I think teams will seed in the playoffs. But after today I think the Lakers might have jumped above Houston :taunt: .

I'm really happy with Wiggins, Bennett, and a first rounder which seems to be the deal floating around. That really feels like highway robbery considering people were talking about Waiters, Thompson, and Bennett a week or so ago. And not a bad week for the Lakers either. Boozer for 3M, getting a couple of draft picks for a major upgrade at PG(if Nash is injured), and couple that with a healthy kobe, Randle, and Clarkson who has looked really good.