Thick Chest

LaterOn61

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the best explanation that I can find. It's hard to do it through writing a reply. I like this video. It's simple and very informative.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAP7cA8kq9U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAP7cA8kq9U[/url]

Also make sure your clubs are fitted for you. The bigger your chest is it shortens your arms at address and swing which in result you can utilize proper club length.

Matt Smith
TFT Coach
ABC123 Golf Academy Instructor

[quote name='sblack5' timestamp='1385087109' post='8187438']
Lookup member hstead and his progress thread......biggest upper body of any golfer I've seen

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/881764-latest-swing-changes-post-jacksonville-updated-10-29-13/
[/quote]

You mean a golfer exists with a bigger chest than me? Lol. Holy crap. that's pretty big.

That ball gave the wind the FINGER!

Thanks for the compliments fellas. I couldn't resist checking this thread out with the title. I played football at 238lbs, full back, and used to lift a lot. I hated lifting weights though, but it was a necessary evil back then. Now I am 45lbs over weight, but plan to start working out after Thanksgiving lol.

I have always wondered what it feels like to swing for a guy that is very flexible and thinner? If it is easy to turn etc.? I would say I am probably more flexible than most guys think, but it depends on the area. I can keep my knees straight and put my palms on the ground, so my back and hamstrings are way flexible. But, my shoulders are not nor are my ankles, too many injuries.

I have long arms, so my swing looks a little different than a guy with short arms and a larger chest. There are definitely advantages and disadvantages. One advantage is normally you can generate quite a bit of power with a short swing. But a disadvantage is that you better have a short swing and not let your arms run off or you are in trouble. I think it is also harder to keep your arms in front of you.

I would also say most bigger guys swing on a more upright plane, but that doesn't mean you have to be steep, you can be shallow and upright. Also, I think width is more important for a big guy vs depth.

As for setup changes, I find that I play better with my feet pointed more right of my target but my shoulders parallel left. So my feet and shoulders do not match. I also pivot better if I flare both feet out quite a bit, especially the front foot. Those are the only setup changes I make, feet right and flared. My ball position is the same as everyone else, off of right ear, left pec-ish type. I probably do have to stand slightly more away from the ball than a Davis Love type player.

As for the swing, I really just focus on keeping my arms straight to keep the club in front of me, make sure I tilt left going back so my head doesn't move too far to my right, and then coming down I try to get my body rotating fast. My problem on the way down is dropping my right shoulder down too much instead of taking it out to the ball. I wish I could rotate down with my shoulders more level, instead of tilting right so hard.

That is what I do anyway, for what ever it is worth.

Hopefully when I post an update after my trip to Jacksonville in Feb I will be down about 30 lbs. I actually hit the ball farther when I weigh about 225lb., which has been a while. I got down to 215lbs about ten years ago and I looked like I had AIDS, wearing 36" jeans. The target is going to be 225lb again.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='sblack5' timestamp='1385096461' post='8188352']
Being Gumby isn't all its cracked up to be. The whole coil and feel the stretch in the left lat thing don't really register on me. But it should be said that I spend a lot of time each day stretching.
[/quote]

I have to focus more on being able to breathe at the top I feel the left lat stretching so hard lol

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='LaterOn61' timestamp='1385085653' post='8187280']
Are their set up or swing adjustments to make when thick chested?
[/quote]
Are you referring to being heavy thick chested or having a barrel chest? I'm barrel chested and not overweight I setup like anyone else and swing the same as everyone I golf with. If your using your shoulders and body to turn and not just your arms the swing is the same.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1385096954' post='8188390']
Being Gumby isn't all its cracked up to be. The whole coil and feel the stretch in the left lat thing don't really register on me. But it should be said that I spend a lot of time each day stretching.
[/quote]

I have to focus more on being able to breathe at the top I feel the left lat stretching so hard lol
[/quote]
I can relate to you on that one brother!

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

I've got a large chest and big arms, right now 6'1" about 230lbs but I played football at 275lbs. There are definitely adjustments and considerations that need to be made with this type of build. Club fitting is very important but your address and set up is key. I have longer arms so my tendency is, as mentioned above, arm run off and a steep downswing. Staying centered has been critical for my improvement, it tightens things up in the backswing and allows for a shallower downswing. With this build there is also a definite tendency to have a flat shoulder turn in the backswing in an an effort to get your arms up and back. Because of this, I have spent a lot of time working on steeper shoulders, i.e. making sure I'm turning my shoulders 90* to my spine. Its very easy to stand up and rotate flat in the backswing. Dare I say a more stack-n-tilt backswing has help me tremendously, but I won't get into those specific "labels" here. Its about finding what works for your body type.

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1385096954' post='8188390']
[/quote]

[/quote]
I'm with ya and learned a lot from Dan while I was in Jacksonville a few months back. I'm 6"2 240lbs and former bodybuilder. Funny thing was I used to have John Daly swing as a kid because I was skinny as a rail and now my swing looks like someone elses 1/2 or 3/4 swing. Problem for me is getting arms moving before the right shoulder which then causes my left bicep hits my pec very quickly and everything stops. So key for me is shoulder first then arms while keeping width which again is hard for me. Also upright is super comfortable for me because I have more room but it's not nearly as consistent and I tend to hit a lot more bad shots with hard to control distance because I'm so steep

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='MizunoJunky' timestamp='1386361482' post='8259595']
Brian Smock has a great swing and has a thick chest.
[/quote]
a brilliant swing. He's the model swing I strive for

I like Smocks swing too. I told Dan my first trip "I want to swing like Smock" lol. I haven't asked for a refund yet since it isn't really Dans fault.

HighDraw, I am the other way around, played at 240 and now weigh 275 lol. That sucks. I am working on it though. A couple of more ho ho's I should be 280 plus. As for the S&T, I learned a ton from that thread and have spent a lot of time reading it a couple of months ago. I don't care what guys say, the way they describe the pivot, with right side extension and left side tilting was brilliant for me. I finally understand how to turn so the head stays centered and the shoulders are not too flat and I don't have to lift the arms.

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1386383819' post='8261327']
I like Smocks swing too. I told Dan my first trip "I want to swing like Smock" lol. I haven't asked for a refund yet since it isn't really Dans fault.

HighDraw, I am the other way around, played at 240 and now weigh 275 lol. That sucks. I am working on it though. A couple of more ho ho's I should be 280 plus. As for the S&T, I learned a ton from that thread and have spent a lot of time reading it a couple of months ago. I don't care what guys say, [b]the way they describe the pivot, with right side extension and left side tilting was brilliant for me. I finally understand how to turn so the head stays centered and the shoulders are not too flat and I don't have to lift the arms.[/b]
[/quote]

Like this?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaCMiAslT_k

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

[quote name='scotee' timestamp='1386387668' post='8261613']
[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1386383819' post='8261327']

HighDraw, I am the other way around, played at 240 and now weigh 275 lol. That sucks. I am working on it though. A couple of more ho ho's I should be 280 plus. As for the S&T, I learned a ton from that thread and have spent a lot of time reading it a couple of months ago. I don't care what guys say, [b]the way they describe the pivot, with right side extension and left side tilting was brilliant for me. I finally understand how to turn so the head stays centered and the shoulders are not too flat and I don't have to lift the arms.[/b]
[/quote]

Like this?:

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaCMiAslT_k[/media]
[/quote]
that's a great video

[quote name='Yuck' timestamp='1386334930' post='8257473']
At 285 and wearing a 54 long jacket, I struggle with a one plane move. I have lost significant distance, consistency and golf balls trying to get flatter and deeper. Watching the Stadler video convinces me to go back to my natural, upright motion. I will report back
[/quote]

Epic Fail

• 3 years later...

This post is 4years old now but the same issues remain for some of us. I am 6", 36 wrist to floor and 225 lb. My short arms relative to chest are a major issue, I can't get my left arm across my chest, too much space between left arm and chest, and then can't get right elbow in front of right hip,it bounces off my gut and upper chest.. Early release is the only result, so no chance of any lag. How to modify the swing, without lag it's just a shove. If anyone has a short armed ( longer arms change the dynamics of the swing) big chested golfer they can show id be gratefully.

This post is 4years old now but the same issues remain for some of us. I am 6", 36 wrist to floor and 225 lb. My short arms relative to chest are a major issue, I can't get my left arm across my chest, too much space between left arm and chest, and then can't get right elbow in front of right hip,it bounces off my gut and upper chest.. Early release is the only result, so no chance of any lag. How to modify the swing, without lag it's just a shove. If anyone has a short armed ( longer arms change the dynamics of the swing) big chested golfer they can show id be gratefully.

Until you lose it. All of the older guys I play with have lost a lot more flexibility than strength. Their strength is not enough to overcome the shorter ROM and general stiffness.

[media=]

[/media]

man do i love that swing.

Are their set up or swing adjustments to make when thick chested?

Maybe we could get Holly Sonders to do a segment on that topic???

[list]
[*][size=4][b][color=#0000ff]Ping G410 LST, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro [/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diamana BF[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 hybrid, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Pro[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][b]Titleist T200 5-9 KBS Tour Flt [/b][/size]
[*][size=4][b][color=#daa520]Callaway MD5 45,49,54,58/[/color]
[*][color=#b22222][b][size=4]TP Mills Trad II Hand Forged [/size][/b][/color]
[/list]