2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Penley, are they the worst shafts ever?

steenboatmd

GM2 xx in my launcher comp, plays like a nvs stiff.
Had a couple of shafts laying around the house and I've been itching to hit my new launcher comp, so I dropped a xx Penley GM2 into the 10.5 head. Shaft says 83g, high kick, 2.8 torque, xx flex.

Took it to the range and I could have sworn that I was hitting a Graphite Design ys-9 stiff flex. or and NVS. This thing was making me hit moon shots with about 40 yards of hook. So I hit my ft-3 with the proto vs 60x, and same old medium-low straight to fade. This is quite possibly the worst shaft I have ever had in any of my drivers, and it plays almost completely opposite to what it says.

Anybody else have a terrible experience with Penley?

Are they just designed to be LD shafts meant for 4.5* heads or something?

What gives?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is interesting - I used to play an ETA and I loved the shaft. I thought that it was very stable, tight and had a good feel. Sorry you didnt have a similar experience.

Matt

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

I'm not sure how long ago they issued the shaft. It's my 3rd Penley shaft and I just haven't found one that felt tight to me at all. I had the ETA tour xx in my old launcer comp, and only felt good if I really smoothed it. Had an ultron xx in my 905T and it kicked like a mule. Much higher trajectory than the Grafalloy Blue I replaced it with, and the GM2 is the last one I have and I love the weight but this thing is the opposite of a flat, low spin trajectory, and I am a low spin player, I usually launch my driver a little on the low side.

Sorry, I too have nothing but good things to say about their stuff. I've found them to offer really good products at a good pricepoint. :drinks:

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Ventus Black TR 6x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* Speeder 757 x

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* LIN-Q M40X Blue

Wilson D9 4h KBS 80 

Callaway Apex 24 MB 6 to 11 iron, MMT 105 TX

Callaway Jaws 54/58/64 KBS 130

Edel EAS 1.0 custom

Wilson Staff Model Ball

I have a Penley Stealt 70 stiff shaft in my 3 wood (Titleist PT15 - original model). I spined the shaft and installed it accordingly. This shaft is tremendous and the 3 wood is tremendous. This is probably my most dependable club. I love the Penley Stealth 70 shaft in my 3 wood.

I would suspect that you have the wrong shaft for your swing specifications, steenboatmd.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I have had various ultrons from x to XXX and there's no way they kick like a mule. They're boardy, stiff, low launching and you need to step on them to get the ball moving apart from the x.

I've hit your comparsion shafts, they're moonshots for me... I launch everything high so the Penleys are godsent... got two in my current drivers.

In short, the exact opposite of what you're saying.

Had a couple of shafts laying around the house and I've been itching to hit my new launcher comp, so I dropped a xx Penley GM2 into the 10.5 head. Shaft says 83g, high kick, 2.8 torque, xx flex.

Took it to the range and I could have sworn that I was hitting a Graphite Design ys-9 stiff flex. or and NVS. This thing was making me hit moon shots with about 40 yards of hook. So I hit my ft-3 with the proto vs 60x, and same old medium-low straight to fade. This is quite possibly the worst shaft I have ever had in any of my drivers, and it plays almost completely opposite to what it says.

Anybody else have a terrible experience with Penley?

Are they just designed to be LD shafts meant for 4.5* heads or something?

What gives?

I dont see why you would want a XX shaft and a 10.5 head together? How fast do you swing? Also a High Kick shaft which are made to get the ball lower, and a 10.5 together? How long was the club length? The high kick and high loft would really defeat the purpose of both components. Penley was made out for LD guys but went under when they started breaking and not posting good results.

#YumaMade #YTown

I have a Nike Ignite 460 ( retail model ). I reshafted it with a Penley Stealth 70 X tipped 1" at a length of 44.5 ". I personally have never had a better driver/shaft combo. I'm hoping my new R7 I got can displace my Nike. ( Nike in the bag since July '05 - that's a record for me. ) I like a deeper face & smaller clubhead, hence the purchase. The Penley cost me like $41 CDN ( pretty cheap ) I may have to track on down for the R7? Hopefully not the Fuji I've got in the R7 is sic. I think I've seen some of your other posts, and I believe you have a higher swingspeed & ballspeed. My S/S is consistently 110-113, B/S is usually around 165mph. Hope that helps....later :drinks:

I have a Nike Ignite 460 ( retail model ). I reshafted it with a Penley Stealth 70 X tipped 1" at a length of 44.5 ". I personally have never had a better driver/shaft combo. I'm hoping my new R7 I got can displace my Nike. ( Nike in the bag since July '05 - that's a record for me. ) I like a deeper face & smaller clubhead, hence the purchase. The Penley cost me like $41 CDN ( pretty cheap ) I may have to track on down for the R7? Hopefully not the Fuji I've got in the R7 is sic. I think I've seen some of your other posts, and I believe you have a higher swingspeed & ballspeed. My S/S is consistently 110-113, B/S is usually around 165mph. Hope that helps....later :drinks:

Well if you're looking for a Penley to throw in it throw me a PM. I have an ultron, which was supposed to be one of their higher end shafts, and I hate it, so I'll send it to you for cost of shipping plus....say 10 bucks. It ain't doing anybody any good in the corner of my closet.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't think I'll need it. Finally got to the driving range today...first swings of the new year...last round Nov.4/06. The Fuji in my R7 is going to work fine. XX I thought might have been a bit much, but it wasn't. Fuji FCM 286....Penley FCM 274. The only difference I noticed was my ball flight was just a touch lower...but very playable. Talk to you later :drinks:

This one's probably run its course, but several of my all time favorite shafts were Penleys. Years ago I had a 14 degree Cobra that had a Penley Platinum in it, and that club smoked. It was perfect for me. I had a couple of drivers around that time that were solid too...a 976R Titleist with a Platinum. The longest drive I've ever hit in competition was with an ETA about 4 years ago, but the company was sold and I suspect Carter retired.

He is a very intelligent guy...a former aerospace engineer. He emailed me once about getting a few more of the tour graphic Platinums, but somehow I got on his global list and at one point he had some type of virus on his computer. Nice guy that he was, he sent out an email to his address book to alert people to the virus, but the To line had everyone's email address.

There were LOTS of recognizable email addresses in that group...tour players, a bunch of long drive pros, industry folks from most of the major OEMs.

I've played Penley shafts forever. Had a Tour Light in the Biggest Big Bertha and that I used to play with. Had a Stealth 70 in an old Tisi. Had the Stealth 90 in my v-steels until a car accident took those away. Had a ETA in a 983K that was lost in the same wreck. Had a ETA in the r7 when it first came out and I dropped the Speeder that was in it. I am thinking of putting in the new p2 in my three wood. Still not sure though.

Nothing but love for these shafts. But this is also MIO.

Dr. Sim2 8° w/ RDX blue 60 6.5

3 Wood. Sim2 15° and 19° w/ Diamana 70x

Ui. Callaway x forged ut 21° w/ dg120 x100

4 to GW. Mizuno Pro 223 w/ dg120 x100

SW and Lw. 54° and 58° Milled grind raw w/ dg s200

Putter. Odyssey OG 1ws, 33 inches

Ball. Taylormade TP5x

• 9 years later...

Because a particular shaft doesn't fit your swing characteristics does not make it a bad shaft. I don't understand why when the first one didn't work

why did you try others. I kind of understand but after two times I would definitely try a different maker.

I have used Penley in my driver (a number of years ago) and thought it was just another shaft, not bad, not good.