Portland area private clubs

spud3

I used to be a member there and don’t have there greatest opinions of it. The courses are fun and most of the long time employees are great. It was hard to make friends there and the different member groups aren’t very welcoming. I got annoyed that you couldn’t bring guests on the private side before 11 am and on the public side there was like 2 or 3 day window to make tee times and weekends were booked by then. I have enjoyed the changes to the course though.

Hope you enjoy it there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Riverside will be cheaper. I personally hate that the range has to use flight restricted balls. Course isn’t great or horrible and they have some decent reciprocal privileges.

Now just a heads up that the club does NOT own 3 or 4 holes and they lease/rent it from the city I believe and it can be recalled or taken back at any point in time. That would make me very nervous

Definitely disappointing to hear that. Wouldn't want anything like that, while paying for a private club, to potentially cause issues with play.

Guess it's back to trying to figure out how to get to some of the nicer public courses, and I still need to find my way out to Langdon sometime soon with all the talk about how great conditions have been.

I think you've really gotta start considering Oswego Lake as an option. Played out there this week for the first time, and really liked the course. I heard it used to be run down, from a maintenance standpoint. That's definitely not the case now.

Gotta be a top-5 club locally. Could be recency-bias, but I liked it better than Portland. Fairways, greens and bunkers were in great shape. Fun, if challenging, course to walk. I didn't feel like any holes were janky at all, and really liked ~12/18

If the buy-in isn't an issue, and the location works, give it a look.

/I was not compensated for this post...but the round was free!

I'd say buy-in, right now, isn't a huge issue but still need to consider it. Location for me is the issue, I live pretty far on the east side, so I would prefer not to drive an hour+ to get somewhere, but that'll be changing in the next year or two, so I may decide which way to move based on the club we may consider joining. Golf/course conditions being the biggest factor, with family oriented being the next with a 5 year old.

I don't know anyone who plays at OL, so I may have to reach out for some preliminary info. Then again, most of my golfing buddies play public or places like Rock Creek.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update. I agree that theres a large group of "unfriendly" members here, but the courses are fantastic. I'm unsure currently whether I'll continue past the preview membership, but 2 courses + close-ish (15min drive) distance is nice. I can already see that booking tee times in the nicer months is going to suck, so who knows.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Everything I am hearing is that all the local clubs are doing well, some at capacity. They have been raking in guest fees too. I would not expect any deals anytime soon. I know some (my home course is Arrowhead) offer some nice winter promo's so you may want to look into that if you are looking for a deal.

• 4 months later...
On 12/27/2013 at 6:07 PM, spud3 said:

If anyone wants to come play persimmon and check it out feel free to contact me and ill get you a round. 

I love the course....been a member on and off for years now and finally the new owners know what they are doing both on the course and in the clubhouse

Yes the course used to be known for its super wet winter time play but they are changing that. They have a dumped a TON of money and work into the course management and finally have a crew who is VERY experienced and is making the course amazing.

The greens are still running as fast as Columbia Edgewater CC and the fairways had so much sand dropped and aerification during the summer that they are drying out everytime after it rains. The rough still gets wet and some spota slushy but NOTHING like it was even 1 year ago....these are the fastest ive seen Persimmons greens in 20+ years.

I honestly believe this coming spring summer is going to be AMAZING for course conditions. Summertime this last year the course was running firm and fast whith the perfect mix of brown and green. 

The revamped clubhouse is continually being added to with a new remodeled inside, new video poker lounge, new gym, and new BBQ/outside lounge patio. 

Like i said, the new management ACTUALLY knows what they are doing and they FINALLY have both the money and personnel to make this club one of the best in portland honestly. 

I have friends who are members at both Persimmon and CECC and they keep talking about how Persimmon is changing and stepping up their game if you will. 

Again, you CANT go wrong with this course, the rates and deals are one of the BEST for a private club as well....

Let me know if anyone wants a FREE round...just contact me at email

[email protected]

11 hours ago, Chris321 said:

If anyone wants to come play persimmon and check it out feel free to contact me and ill get you a round. 

I love the course....been a member on and off for years now and finally the new owners know what they are doing both on the course and in the clubhouse

Yes the course used to be known for its super wet winter time play but they are changing that. They have a dumped a TON of money and work into the course management and finally have a crew who is VERY experienced and is making the course amazing.

The greens are still running as fast as Columbia Edgewater CC and the fairways had so much sand dropped and aerification during the summer that they are drying out everytime after it rains. The rough still gets wet and some spota slushy but NOTHING like it was even 1 year ago....these are the fastest ive seen Persimmons greens in 20+ years.

I honestly believe this coming spring summer is going to be AMAZING for course conditions. Summertime this last year the course was running firm and fast whith the perfect mix of brown and green. 

The revamped clubhouse is continually being added to with a new remodeled inside, new video poker lounge, new gym, and new BBQ/outside lounge patio. 

Like i said, the new management ACTUALLY knows what they are doing and they FINALLY have both the money and personnel to make this club one of the best in portland honestly. 

I have friends who are members at both Persimmon and CECC and they keep talking about how Persimmon is changing and stepping up their game if you will. 

Again, you CANT go wrong with this course, the rates and deals are one of the BEST for a private club as well....

[email protected]

Thanks Chris.  What are initiation fees and monthly dues looking like now?

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

13 hours ago, Chris321 said:

[email protected]

I don’t mean this to be rude but they can never dump enough sand on the fairways. They would need to add inches at a time not 1/8” to 1/16” of an inch and if they could add inches at a time and keep the grass alive it would take years. This has been a mellow season precipitation wise. To do it right they will need to start adding drainage. For some form of reference point and those that know me and where I work, we added over a 1/2 mile or about 1000 yards of drainage just to #18. 

I’m glad to hear you are happy with what is going on on the course, that is what is most important and glad you are happy with the direction of the club. It is good you are taking a proactive approach to promoting the club. Don’t get frustrated because it can take years to rebuild the membership/attitude of a club.