Portland area private clubs

spud3

Well I as of November 1st 2014 I'm a member at Willamette Valley Country Club. The process took a while to become official but had full privileges since the end of September. It came down to location, ability to walk the course, and price. I'm really happy with my decision. I've played 72 holes in the last 5 days. The course is great. Now I just need to figure out how to score out there!!! I've been having one 9 in the upper 30's and another in the low to mid 40's :swoon: .

Got in on there $1000 initiation and couldn't be happier. Bad time of year to join but couldn't pass up the price.

[quote name='barosborough' timestamp='1415292608' post='10405967']
Well I as of November 1st 2014 I'm a member at Willamette Valley Country Club. The process took a while to become official but had full privileges since the end of September. It came down to location, ability to walk the course, and price. I'm really happy with my decision. I've played 72 holes in the last 5 days. The course is great. Now I just need to figure out how to score out there!!! I've been having one 9 in the upper 30's and another in the low to mid 40's :swoon: .

Got in on there $1000 initiation and couldn't be happier. Bad time of year to join but couldn't pass up the price.
[/quote]

I think I saw your name in the new member section of the newsletter. Didn't put it together until this post. Welcome :)

I'll be out there tomorrow morning around 9 -- I will catch you one of these days.

[quote name='oregongolf' timestamp='1415295571' post='10406291']

I think I saw your name in the new member section of the newsletter. Didn't put it together until this post. Welcome :)

I'll be out there tomorrow morning around 9 -- I will catch you one of these days.
[/quote]

Yeah that'd be fun. Can't make it on Fridays but I'll send you a PM.

• 2 months later...

Would like to revive this thread... I am turning 21 in April and am lucky enough to be able to afford a membership at my age. I've worked hard to build a business, and it is paying off! I live east side right now, but am looking for some ideas on how things are now as far as clubs. I have sent off for more info from all the basic clubs (CECC, Riverside, Persimmon, OGC, WVCC, Etc...) Any input is appreciated

[quote name='jakew128' timestamp='1420948170' post='10725133']
Would like to revive this thread... I am turning 21 in April and am lucky enough to be able to afford a membership at my age. I've worked hard to build a business, and it is paying off! I live east side right now, but am looking for some ideas on how things are now as far as clubs. I have sent off for more info from all the basic clubs (CECC, Riverside, Persimmon, OGC, WVCC, Etc...) Any input is appreciated
[/quote]
The landscape hasn't really changed much in the area since this thread was active, so all the advice should be the same.

Those are going to be all over the map for initiations, dues, etc. If you are even interested in Columbia, you should add Royal Oaks in Vancouver too. Just as a heads up, they will both have several thousand dollar initiations, even for the young exec memberships. I know CECC is running a trial membership special until May or something, but there are some caveats.

It really depends on what you're looking for and how much you'd like to spend. Where do you live on the East side?

I would really caution anyone (unless I hated them or something) to join Persimmon and OGC.

If cost is not an issue you should consider PGC.

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

A couple thousand dollar initiation isn't too spooky for me. I have also sent off for Royal Oaks. I like the looks of that place and am considering moving to Vancouver. I currently live in Fairview.

I guess also, what general advice would you give a noob as far as going private? When I think of country club, I think it not being so friendly to 20 year olds.

My picks if I were to join are:

Portland Golf Club
Waverly
Columbia
Royal Oaks

If they will let you play now in winter conditions I would and pick the best course that you can play year round! Persimmon, OGC, Pumpkin, the reserve are swamps during winter

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

• 2 years later...

Hoping to revive this thread (again) as I'm beginning the process of looking for a Club. Sincerely appreciate the responses so far as it's been helpful. I imagine most of the information here is still relevant, but had a couple additional questions and specifics for me:

1) I'm 32 years old, living in Forest Heights, working in Beaverton. Single, but have a girlfriend who would be interested in brunch/meals at the club (not the golf)

2) I'm new to golf (less than 6 months), but have the bug bad. I'm playing at least 2 times a week in the winter months and that will go up in the spring/summer when i can sneak in rounds after work

3) Being new I generally shoot between 95-100 on courses like Red Tail, Reserve, etc.

With the above stated, I had a few questions I didn't see answered in the previous responses:

1) Any Clubs that tend to be more welcoming to not-so-great golfers that are trying to get better? :)

2) What clubs are most welcoming to younger members? I'm not as concerned about the age of the members, just their general attitude towards the younger crowd. Other members in my age range is a plus, I suppose.

3) Would love any insights on the West Side/Beaverton/Hillsboro area clubs. Don't think i'm willing to drive out to CECC, Riverside, etc. Winter conditions are a big factor for me.

Appreciate any insight anyone is willing/able to share. I've already reached out to Rock Creek based on this thread.

Thanks!

Drew

No brainer CECC.

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

If you don't want to drive I would say it's a ? Of money. Reserve is fun course but not great in the winter. With 2 courses you can always get out and it really is about golf not a country club. We used to be members there and I enjoyed it. Plus if you are serious about getting better the instructors there are pretty good but stay away from Fred if he's still there.

If money isn't an issue go to Portland Golf Club. I'd stay away from Rock Creek. Not a big fan of the course or the range.

If you don't want to drive I would say it's a ? Of money. Reserve is fun course but not great in the winter. With 2 courses you can always get out and it really is about golf not a country club. We used to be members there and I enjoyed it. Plus if you are serious about getting better the instructors there are pretty good but stay away from Fred if he's still there.

If money isn't an issue go to Portland Golf Club. I'd stay away from Rock Creek. Not a big fan of the course or the range.

Thanks for the insight. I did reach out to PGC, but the $$ was a bit more than I'm willing to budget for right now (although Jeff at PGC was great in my short dealings with him). Reserve is on my list to explore, but have heard the drainage is an issue there in the winter. Sounds in line with what you're saying. Will still explore. Thanks, again!

So Oswego Lake CC didn't get a lot of love on this thread. I'm not sure why but for what it's worth, I've been a member there since March of last year and it has been a great experience. They have a great deal for younger members and as a result have a very large contingent of members between the ages of 25 and 35. The club loves bringing in younger members and with that, you'll easily be able to find group in your skill level.

It's also a great time to join because there was an assessment a few years back that paid for a lot of course upgrades (drainage and took down 200 trees) and is funding the complete remodel of the clubhouse. Like all older courses in this area, drainage can be an issue but even with the rain I've managed to get in a few rounds this winter. Also, they have a covered and heated driving range!

If you're interested in getting out on the course, PM me and I'd be happy to get you out there.

So Oswego Lake CC didn't get a lot of love on this thread. I'm not sure why but for what it's worth, I've been a member there since March of last year and it has been a great experience. They have a great deal for younger members and as a result have a very large contingent of members between the ages of 25 and 35. The club loves bringing in younger members and with that, you'll easily be able to find group in your skill level.

It's also a great time to join because there was an assessment a few years back that paid for a lot of course upgrades (drainage and took down 200 trees) and is funding the complete remodel of the clubhouse. Like all older courses in this area, drainage can be an issue but even with the rain I've managed to get in a few rounds this winter. Also, they have a covered and heated driving range!

If you're interested in getting out on the course, PM me and I'd be happy to get you out there.

I don't know much about the club but from the people I play with and know it gets lumped in with Waverly and PGC because we assume it's in the same range monetarily. Interesting to hear they are trying to bring in younger members.

Hoping to revive this thread (again) as I'm beginning the process of looking for a Club. Sincerely appreciate the responses so far as it's been helpful. I imagine most of the information here is still relevant, but had a couple additional questions and specifics for me:

1) I'm 32 years old, living in Forest Heights, working in Beaverton. Single, but have a girlfriend who would be interested in brunch/meals at the club (not the golf)

2) I'm new to golf (less than 6 months), but have the bug bad. I'm playing at least 2 times a week in the winter months and that will go up in the spring/summer when i can sneak in rounds after work

3) Being new I generally shoot between 95-100 on courses like Red Tail, Reserve, etc.

With the above stated, I had a few questions I didn't see answered in the previous responses:

1) Any Clubs that tend to be more welcoming to not-so-great golfers that are trying to get better? :)

2) What clubs are most welcoming to younger members? I'm not as concerned about the age of the members, just their general attitude towards the younger crowd. Other members in my age range is a plus, I suppose.

3) Would love any insights on the West Side/Beaverton/Hillsboro area clubs. Don't think i'm willing to drive out to CECC, Riverside, etc. Winter conditions are a big factor for me.

Appreciate any insight anyone is willing/able to share. I've already reached out to Rock Creek based on this thread.

Thanks!

Drew

FWIW I'm still a happy member at Rock Creek after 10 years. The real value of being a member there is the value itself. I get very affordable unlimited golf and I can play other courses regularly within a lower budget than, say, a membership at the Reserve. And I totally get the issues that everybody has stated about it. I have the same issues too! LOL the only bunkers worse than Rock Creek's are Vernonia's! But I put up with it there because I live nearby but more so because of the value.

In terms of your questions:

1) Rock Creek's members span from the n00b hack to the plus 'caps. I was a 20+ index hack when I joined and never had a bad experience there because of it. Nearly all members are avid golfers on the journey to get better. It can seem that most members stick to their own friends and groups and but if you are a social person and just play a lot, you will get paired with groups of regulars and they will be welcoming regardless of how much you need to improve. And to me again the value is perfect for a new golfer.

2) I know others have said the majority of members are older, but honestly there is a very decent sized group of thirty somethings at Rock Creek. In the men's club alone I would say at least a quarter that are younger than 40. For sure you can't swing a dead cat in the clubhouse without hitting a "retiree" and yeah the oldsters are the majority, but at 32 you will for sure have other guys around your age to play with and again the members are welcoming of all new members regardless of age. I would say that over the ten years I have been a member that the amount of younger members have grown over the last three.

3) I live in the West Haven-Sylvan area and used to work in Hillsboro and to me your best choices are The Reserve, Pumpkin Ridge, and Rock Creek. Given these choices, I personally would avoid Pumpkin just because they are overpriced. And Ghost Creek is horrible for drainage. Witch Hollow is an awesome course but again the cost doesn't justify it. The really cool part about it is the exclusivity of WH for members only and the great practice facility. The Reserve is good too, but still more costly than Rock Creek, and the two courses are uniquely different from each other. But unlike PR both courses are open to the public. Drainage is overall better than PR too. And both CCs are truly "country clubs". Rock Creek is more like an exclusive good muni with private membership. A no frills CC. I love it there, but I accept it for what it is...just about the cheapest option that you can find for unlimited private golf and range balls.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

I don't know much about the club but from the people I play with and know it gets lumped in with Waverly and PGC because we assume it's in the same range monetarily. Interesting to hear they are trying to bring in younger members.

Waverley is about 2x the cost of Oswego Lake CC. I believe PGC is about the same cost as Waverley but I'm not positive. I've been around Oswego a number of times and the course is fine, but for the cost I'd never join. Same for PGC.

For someone who wants to join a private club, I believe the best deals around the area are when CECC or Willamette Valley run discounts on the startup fee.

Thanks!

Drew

FWIW I'm still a happy member at Rock Creek after 10 years. The real value of being a member there is the value itself. I get very affordable unlimited golf and I can play other courses regularly within a lower budget than, say, a membership at the Reserve. And I totally get the issues that everybody has stated about it. I have the same issues too! LOL the only bunkers worse than Rock Creek's are Vernonia's! But I put up with it there because I live nearby but more so because of the value.

In terms of your questions:

1) Rock Creek's members span from the n00b hack to the plus 'caps. I was a 20+ index hack when I joined and never had a bad experience there because of it. Nearly all members are avid golfers on the journey to get better. It can seem that most members stick to their own friends and groups and but if you are a social person and just play a lot, you will get paired with groups of regulars and they will be welcoming regardless of how much you need to improve. And to me again the value is perfect for a new golfer.

2) I know others have said the majority of members are older, but honestly there is a very decent sized group of thirty somethings at Rock Creek. In the men's club alone I would say at least a quarter that are younger than 40. For sure you can't swing a dead cat in the clubhouse without hitting a "retiree" and yeah the oldsters are the majority, but at 32 you will for sure have other guys around your age to play with and again the members are welcoming of all new members regardless of age. I would say that over the ten years I have been a member that the amount of younger members have grown over the last three.

3) I live in the West Haven-Sylvan area and used to work in Hillsboro and to me your best choices are The Reserve, Pumpkin Ridge, and Rock Creek. Given these choices, I personally would avoid Pumpkin just because they are overpriced. And Ghost Creek is horrible for drainage. Witch Hollow is an awesome course but again the cost doesn't justify it. The really cool part about it is the exclusivity of WH for members only and the great practice facility. The Reserve is good too, but still more costly than Rock Creek, and the two courses are uniquely different from each other. But unlike PR both courses are open to the public. Drainage is overall better than PR too. And both CCs are truly "country clubs". Rock Creek is more like an exclusive good muni with private membership. A no frills CC. I love it there, but I accept it for what it is...just about the cheapest option that you can find for unlimited private golf and range balls.

Really appreciate the insight and time taken to write this (thanks to everyone else as well). I've got info from quite a few Clubs and will continue looking into each. I'm visiting Rock Creek this weekend. For a few different reasons, it's looking the most promising, although that's prior to seeing and playing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Waverley is about 2x the cost of Oswego Lake CC. I believe PGC is about the same cost as Waverley but I'm not positive. I've been around Oswego a number of times and the course is fine, but for the cost I'd never join. Same for PGC.

For someone who wants to join a private club, I believe the best deals around the area are when CECC or Willamette Valley run discounts on the startup fee.

I just joined CECC.

I know one member - but no one else. If anyone here is a member that needs a 4th for a weekend round sometime, and can put up with a high handicapper with a good attitude and good pace of play - shoot me a PM!

I just joined CECC.

I know one member - but no one else. If anyone here is a member that needs a 4th for a weekend round sometime, and can put up with a high handicapper with a good attitude and good pace of play - shoot me a PM!

Look up my brother Scott Ward believe he is club president (on the board for sure) tell him Jeff told you to come find him. Great guy fun to golf with...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

New here and my wife and I are wanting to join a club in the next year or so. I've done quite a bit of searching on WRX and have read through quite a bit of the info on here. Right now we live n NE Portland but are going to be moving to the Lake Oswego area within the next two years. Based on that we are wanting to join either Waverley or Oswego Lake. I have seen the number $35k thrown around for initiation at Waverley quite a bit, does anyone know if that is accurate? Also, we are in our lower 30s age wise, does anyone know what the junior member initiation and monthly dues are at both of those clubs? Money won't be the deciding factor, but just wanting to get an idea of what were looking at. Finally, it seems like Waverley, in particular, is a little more exclusive than most and initiation is by sponsorship of a member only. Does anyone know if we were to express interest in joining to the club if club management would attempt to find a member that might consider sponsoring us? Or is Waverley the type of place that we should attempt to become acquaintances with an existing member prior to approaching the club about membership. I know a few people who are members at Columbia Edgewater, but don't believe I currently know any Waverley members. It seems like Oswego Lake is not nearly as exclusive. Any insights any of you could provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

IMO, Waverly and PGC are the 2 most exclusive in terms of status & status members hold in the community. I have heard the $30 - $35 number thrown out for both, as well. I also have heard they are both great tracks. From my experience, when we were looking 8 years ago, for Jr members it was the same initiation fee but you had until the primary member turned 40 (we used my wife as the primary so we had 7 years instead of 4). From there it was 70% of monthly dues to 35 and then 80% until 40. I am almost positive you have to be sponsored to be invited to join but I believe they will set you up with a member of need be.

From my understanding Oswego Lakes is in pretty rough shape, however they got a new superintendent who is really good.

IMO, Waverly and PGC are the 2 most exclusive in terms of status & status members hold in the community. I have heard the $30 - $35 number thrown out for both, as well. I also have heard they are both great tracks. From my experience, when we were looking 8 years ago, for Jr members it was the same initiation fee but you had until the primary member turned 40 (we used my wife as the primary so we had 7 years instead of 4). From there it was 70% of monthly dues to 35 and then 80% until 40. I am almost positive you have to be sponsored to be invited to join but I believe they will set you up with a member of need be.

From my understanding Oswego Lakes is in pretty rough shape, however they got a new superintendent who is really good.

In my opinion, out of the two, Waverly has a much better course/overall facility. PGC is nice (and a lot more interesting than the overhead layout would suggest), but if I could join either, It'd be Waverly all day long.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the thoughts! Waverley is definitely my preference but my wife wants me to investigate both since OLCC will almost surely be closer to the house we move to. Waverley has incredible facilities and I like the no tee times culture there. When you look at OLCC from above on google earth there's a whole lot of brown going on where there should be green. Hopefully the new superintendent can help with that.

I talked to him today and he is planning on being there every day this summer. Many on here will vouch for the conditions at Langdon Farms and that is where he came from. I'm not sure how noticeable the changes will be this summer, he said it's a soggy mess right now. I imagine this winter he will be putting in a TON of irrigation.

Edit... Brown is the last thing I'd be worried about.

• 1 month later...

Found this thread helpful - thank you!

For anyone that has new info to share - please weigh in on the Columbia Edgewater vs Riverside discussion.

I hear all the positives about Edgewater obviously being the superior course of the two, better practice facility, etc.

But are there any pro- Riverside narratives? It has been discussed at length that Edgewater is a 'players' course. Does that mean a non-player (mid-high 80's at present) would not enjoy it?

The riverside vibe has been described as more laid back? Can anyone that is a member add to that discussion? What about the kid-friendly atmosphere for the pool, etc? How would people rate the other facilities between the two?

Oh and last - can anyone provide the current ballpark costs on the initiation at Waverly? Is it 35K like it has been suggested? Just curious.

Thanks!

Riverside seems to have more casual golfers, we know a couple members and they love it, but are not hardcore golfers. Most are just show up and play golfers, won't use a short game area or the kind to go grind out a few days on the range. One pro Riverside has is they offer reciprocal play with a few other clubs in Oregon and surrounding states.

Waverly might even be back up around $50k (where it was before the economy tanked) and I believe PGC is around $30-$35