2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Crenshaw/Coore to build the first course in Keiser's Sand Valley Project

mringwelski

For those of you who have played Sand Valley, what are the conditions like? I know the course is still growing in, but just wondering what to expect when I play there in a few weeks. Any other travel tips (food, etc)?

Avoid Archer road. It's dirt. Find Apache.

Conditions are not what you'd call perfect. It's a bit slow in spots, but it's been fun in my visits to see it evolve. You'll go back next year and it'll be blazing, but I think most that have been going up will appreciate the grow in and how it's taken shape.

Get the Italian Beef. THREE dollars. As a Chicagoan, I was highly impressed. As were some of the guys (who played an 8-some in front of us, thanks bros). Wash it down with an ice cream sandwich. Also- The course is f'ing amazing. Not super impressed with the expensive shirts though, sorry.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you who have played Sand Valley, what are the conditions like? I know the course is still growing in, but just wondering what to expect when I play there in a few weeks. Any other travel tips (food, etc)?

Avoid Archer road. It's dirt. Find Apache.

Conditions are not what you'd call perfect. It's a bit slow in spots, but it's been fun in my visits to see it evolve. You'll go back next year and it'll be blazing, but I think most that have been going up will appreciate the grow in and how it's taken shape.

Get the Italian Beef. THREE dollars. As a Chicagoan, I was highly impressed. As were some of the guys (who played an 8-some in front of us, thanks bros). Wash it down with an ice cream sandwich. Also- The course is f'ing amazing. Not super impressed with the expensive shirts though, sorry.

#mistwood8

WITB 2/3/16:
Driver - Golf club
3 & 5 Wood - Clubs
Irons - More Golf clubs
Wedges - Knives
Putter - wrench

2017 Golf Rates

2017 Lodging Rates

Golf is about what I expected, lodging a bit higher.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Did you guys carry or take caddies? Is it a course where a push cart is practical? Myself & a couple buddies are considering doing a dells weekend next month & trying to get up to nekoosa. Thanks much.

The pull carts are practical. They are the riksha's with the big wheels. I personally would recommend a caddie for your first time. There are some hidden bunkers and some other things that would be nice to know. We don't quite have yardage books yet so a caddie is your bet bet.

After playing Cabot Cliffs I have to make the trek to Sand Valley

If I ever win the lottery I will be getting Coore / Crenshaw to do the course

They seem to understand how to fit a course to the land and how to give you both bold and safe options. I like the scale of the courses as well. Give some width off the tee so I can play bombs away

Cally AIS TD 11.5* Ventus Black 5x

Cally AI Smoke TD 16* AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

Any idea how late into the season they will be keeping the course open for preview play? Until the weather decides, or earlier given the fact that it's a young course?

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

I played 18 over the weekend. A very special place and it will be even more so at maturity. Nearly 3 hours from Milwaukee and a 4+ hour round means it is a full day to play 18 holes unless you make it a destination. The lodging looks really nice, and when more courses are complete it will become a drawing card.

The course looks easier from the tee than it plays. Yes, fairways are generous, but miss them and the bunkers are penal. The bunkers are as large as Saudi Arabia, deep and contoured. The sand is heavy. If you land in the fairway there are few level lies. Not dramatic, but no two iron shots will play the same given modest uphill/downhill/above your feet/below your feet lies. The greens are large and generally tiered. Hit the wrong tier and you will be thrilled to 2 putt. There are some split fairways and if you are playing your first round a caddie is very helpful. The best shot is not the most obvious from the tee or your lie. There is a par 3 that some may consider hokey but I thought was great. We played it at a little over 200 yards, tee shot between mounds and into a punch bowl green.

I am a 60 year old walker and carried my bag. The course is very walkable. At present there is no practice range. The course is playing in "preview" condition. That hurt my effort. By the time I felt comfortable with my swing we were well into the first 9 and I wanted to go back and start my round over. Small price to pay for a unique experience at a very cool work in progress.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Any idea how late into the season they will be keeping the course open for preview play? Until the weather decides, or earlier given the fact that it's a young course?

We're hoping to stay open through October. It really depends on the weather though.

We're coming up from Chicago, Quad Cities, and Waterloo in two weeks. Playing University Ridge in Madison on Friday, SV on Sat/Sun, and TBD on Monday. Any recommendations? I've been considering Lake Arrowhead or Northern Bay. Are any of the three courses (two at Arrowhead) standouts?

Golf!

We're hoping to stay open through October. It really depends on the weather though.

We're coming up from Chicago, Quad Cities, and Waterloo in two weeks. Playing University Ridge in Madison on Friday, SV on Sat/Sun, and TBD on Monday. Any recommendations? I've been considering Lake Arrowhead or Northern Bay. Are any of the three courses (two at Arrowhead) standouts?

Golf!

Personally, I'd either make the 45minute ride up to Stevens Point to play Sentry World or the hour drive southeast to Lawsonia.

Here's my review/thoughts after spending last weekend playing 36 holes at Sand Valley:

• The course is flat out fun! It's not going to tear you a new one like some of the other destination courses in Wisconsin. But, it is still challenging and very fair.
  • Amazing set of par 3's. Hole #8 (even though it ate my lunch) is a fantastic hole that fits so well with the land (as do most of the holes).
  • The caddies there are top notch and absolutely add to the overall experience.
  • I hope that they keep the rural/minimalist/anti-stuffy vibe once the resort is fully up and running in 2018.
  • The rooms were extremely nice. Eager to see the finishing touches with the accommodations (a fire pit-gathering area would be nice).
  • Really cool seeing a course in its infancy stages. Even saw Bill Coore on the property on Saturday, presumably going over changes, etc.
  • Mike Keiser has something special with Sand Valley. Have never been to any of his other properties, but the guy is a genius in my eyes.

I played 18 over the weekend. A very special place and it will be even more so at maturity. Nearly 3 hours from Milwaukee and a 4+ hour round means it is a full day to play 18 holes unless you make it a destination. The lodging looks really nice, and when more courses are complete it will become a drawing card.

The course looks easier from the tee than it plays. Yes, fairways are generous, but miss them and the bunkers are penal. The bunkers are as large as Saudi Arabia, deep and contoured. The sand is heavy. If you land in the fairway there are few level lies. Not dramatic, but no two iron shots will play the same given modest uphill/downhill/above your feet/below your feet lies. The greens are large and generally tiered. Hit the wrong tier and you will be thrilled to 2 putt. There are some split fairways and if you are playing your first round a caddie is very helpful. The best shot is not the most obvious from the tee or your lie. There is a par 3 that some may consider hokey but I thought was great. We played it at a little over 200 yards, tee shot between mounds and into a punch bowl green.

I am a 60 year old walker and carried my bag. The course is very walkable. At present there is no practice range. The course is playing in "preview" condition. That hurt my effort. By the time I felt comfortable with my swing we were well into the first 9 and I wanted to go back and start my round over. Small price to pay for a unique experience at a very cool work in progress.

Phred

Glad you enjoyed it...thanks to you I got to experience the course.

The main thing that struck me was the similarity to one of AZs best courses(wekopa saguaro) in terms of the design. In particular, the visuals off the tee: The shot in reality is different than what presents itself off the tee. Many times looking back at the tee, I could not believe how different the view was. Also, the ability to play different lines, plus the aggressive vs. conservative play is also available.

The first hole at the 2nd course at Sand Valley Golf Resort is on display, play will preview next year.

CuCrlaAXEAA-dOr.jpg

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

• 2 weeks later...

Just made the trip with the guys. It was very cool. The layout is very fun and there are many different ways to play the holes. The Cottages are a good place to stay, and I'd highly recommend eating out at the dirty oar. Caddies are legit and the staff is as nice as can be. I think they plan on building three more courses there. Exciting stuff for us Midwesterners!

• 2 weeks later...

This project really seems awesome. Even though it's still a good hike from home for me, it's not as far as Bandon, Streamsong, Cabot's, or Ireland.

We're so fortunate to have such incredible golf in our region. Yes, it's not something most can afford to play weekly, but these destination/bucket list courses as fairly priced, when you factor in the quality of the experience.

Mr. Keiser is a genius when it comes to "pure" golf. I've become a huge fan of his. There's a great book available, called "Dream Golf" which lays out the dream of how Bandon came to be, and gives a great idea of what Mike Keiser is all about. I found a copy on eBay for $3-$4, and it was a great read.

I really look forward to the opportunity to play the Sand Valley courses soon. You folks in Wisconsin are incredibly fortunate to have the great golf that you have available.

• 2 weeks later...