Would you pay $100 to hit Ben Hogan's 1 iron? (at Merion)

LYGLYG Members Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
If the USGA was doing a fundraiser (at Merion) and you could pay $100 and hit one ball with his 1 iron, from the spot 200 yards out on #18...

<
this shot here

Would you? I would!
TM M2 driver (2016) Fujikura Pro 53
TM M2 3 and 5 woods, Fujikura Pro 53
PXG 19 degree hybrid, Fujikura Pro 73
Mizuno MP 25, 3-PW, Nippon 1150 GH Tour
Miura wedges, Y grind 53 and 59, Nippon NS Pro
8802 Palmer or by Cleveland or early 1970's Ping Answer

Comments

• LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 3,993 ✭✭
    I'd do it if the $100 went to charity or something good. What was the loft of Hogan's 1 iron? About the same as a modern 3 iron? I think I could get it airborne. Pretty sure I could.
  • LYGLYG Members Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    Well, really stiff shaft they say...those clubs had a very long hosel, which put the sweet spot closer to the heel of the club. Also, you'd have a rough cord grip that was "ribbed" (they called it a reminder grip back then...a ridge running on the underside of the grip) and for some of his clubs (maybe just the driver) he had the ridge positioned where your hands on the grip, in line with the ridge (at 5:00 clock) and your grip was weak.
    TM M2 driver (2016) Fujikura Pro 53
    TM M2 3 and 5 woods, Fujikura Pro 53
    PXG 19 degree hybrid, Fujikura Pro 73
    Mizuno MP 25, 3-PW, Nippon 1150 GH Tour
    Miura wedges, Y grind 53 and 59, Nippon NS Pro
    8802 Palmer or by Cleveland or early 1970's Ping Answer
  • TMBobTMBob Members Posts: 5,373 ✭✭
    edited Mar 11, 2016 #4
    I would pay $100 to hold it and have some pics taken with it. I would rather hit a "replica" of the club....nobody should be swinging the orginal version IMHO.
  • JDCONJDCON PrincetonMembers Posts: 207 ✭✭
    TMBob wrote:

I would pay $100 to hold it and have some pics taken with it. I would rather hit a "replica" of the club....nobody should be swinging the orginal version IMHO.

This is about exactly what I was going to say.

Nobody should hit it. And in all likelihood, it should be transported everywhere with chanting monks and incense.

But really, I'd rather just hold it and see it. Not sully it.
    Derp Derp Derp.
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members Posts: 3,457 ✭✭
    No
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Titleist 913 D3 44 inches also a Cleveland Classic 310 43.5 inches
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6
    Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip
  • Munich77Munich77 Members Posts: 293 ✭✭
    I would not but I found my Hogan Apex 1 iron the other day...tempted to take it out on the course.
  • tgreenwood11tgreenwood11 Bye bye yips in 2015 Members Posts: 482 ✭✭
    I tried hitting my old Ping one iron, the original. I couldn't get it airborne. LOL
  • mocokidmocokid Members Posts: 1,753 ✭✭
    If I could hit a hybrid from the exact spot, yes.

His 1 iron forget it, I could not get it airborne if I had a full bucket and an entire day to get one on the green or fringe.
  • moehoganmoehogan Members Posts: 1,034 ✭✭
    edited Feb 14, 2018 #10
    I always take a knife to the range and hit at least 10-12 balls with it ... either the one below from my Apex set or the one from my First Flight set. Always have loved hitting long irons ... still carry a 2 iron with my Mizzy gamers.

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,387 ✭✭
    No thanks, I have a Staff FG51 1 iron in the basement for when I want to torture myself. I don't need to pay $100 to do it.
    Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Sun Mountain Swift X
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,853 ✭✭
    If I could play Merion to that point as part of the package, sure. Well worth a hundred bucks.
  • HarleyweedwhacksHarleyweedwhacks Members Posts: 152
    No. I would GET paid to hit Hogan's 1 iron from 200 yards at Merion. Lol jk
    "I have one brief comment today, and there is no chance, we're all human beings here, and there's no chance humanly possible that Tiger woods isn't hurting his back with a swing like that...no way."--Colin Montgomerie
  • cb24cb24 Members Posts: 1,692 ✭✭
    LeoLeo99 wrote:

I'd do it if the $100 went to charity or something good. What was the loft of Hogan's 1 iron? About the same as a modern 3 iron? I think I could get it airborne. Pretty sure I could.

I would totally pay $100 to hit it but I agree, that no one should be hitting it, would be terrible is it broke or got messed up.

Also in regards to loft it was 17* so it’s more like a modern 2 iron (if you can find one)
  • Munich77Munich77 Members Posts: 293 ✭✭

I have a hogan 1 iron. Fun club to hit when it goes

edited Apr 14, 2019 3:39am #16

@Munich77 said:
    I have a hogan 1 iron. Fun club to hit when it goes

So do I ... I don’t game it anymore but it still goes to the range with me.

You do realize, though, that that the famous 1 iron shot at Merion was actually a hit with a MacGregor!

• double_ddouble_d Members Posts: 322 ✭✭

If it was for charity.
    However, instead of hitting it, I would just show up, donate the $100 to charity and enjoy watching other people attempt to hit it.

Hogan’s company produced some very fine golf clubs for many years. While he came very close on a few occasions, it’s interesting that Hogan never won a major with his own company’s sticks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file