Nike RZN stockpiling worth it?

Comments

• Stew@scotland[email protected] Members Posts: 66
    Been playing the rzn tour platinum all year & thought they were the best balls i've ever hit & this is coming from a guy that tests 3 or 4 different balls a year in a search for a ball that performs well in every catagory.

Tried the callaway chrome soft for a few rounds but it was shorter & didn't hold it's line as well as the nike so i ordered 12 boxes of the rzn tour platinum today, adding them to what i have that should give me a 2 year supply.
    Taylormade M6 D'Type Driver (graphite design ad-mj-5 shaft)
    Taylormade M6 D'Type 3 Wood (mrc tensei orange shaft)
    Taylormade M6 D'Type 5 Wood (mrc tensei orange shaft)
    Taylormade M6 D'Type 7 Wood (mrc tensei orange shaft)
    Taylormade MCGB Irons 5-PW (kbs c-taper lite shafts)
    Cleveland CBX Wedges 48, 54 & 60 (kbs hi-rev 2.0 shafts)
    Taylormade Spider X Putter
    Taylormade TP5X (2019) Ball
    Taylormade Golf Bag
    Taylormade Hat, Nike Glove, Shoes and Clothes
  • rackemrollerrackemroller Buck Nasty Members Posts: 521 ✭✭
    prorobo wrote:
    dcosby wrote:

jpdx wrote:

dcosby wrote:

I stocked up!!!

that's awesome! my wife would've killed me. lol

My wife is a good woman. She couldn't care less.

Yeah but what does her shoe closet or purse collection look like?

Kudos for the excellent pickup and correct usage of "couldn't care less."

I really am lucky. I have to make my wife spend money on herself.
    M5 Even Flow Black 65 6.5 or Ping G400 LST GD TP 6x
    Nike Vapor "2 Dot" 15 Diamana W Series 7x
    Nike Vapor "2 Dot" 20 Diamana W Series 7x
    UDI TP 18 & 20 PXi 6.5
    Nike VR Pro Blades 4-pw, DG 120 T.I. X100
    Artisan "MT" Raw 52, 56, 60
    Artisan "Oxidado" Carbon Mid-Slant 0117, Artisan SS Mid-Slant 0117, "Oven" Method 001 Mid-Slant, "Oven" Method 001 First Run, "Oven" Method 006
    RZN Tour Platimum or TP5X or Tour B XS
  • mcmacmcmac Members Posts: 36
    dekez wrote:

What kind of deals are you seeing? I can't imagine stocking up on ANY ball that much as I don't see balls getting worse, but better over time.

ph00ny wrote:

mcmac wrote:

i have stocked up as well... about 20 dz platinums and 6 dz blacks. Cant pass up the great deals on a quality ball.

Where are you guys finding them? All the proshops nearby are out of them (surprisingly have a huge stock of black)

I haven't seen a single deal on the RZN Tour Platinums

I'm fortunate in that my son works for Nike, so I can get them for $15.00 a dozen right now. At least until they are gone... but at that price how can I pass them up. Will probably pick up some more here soon. I really hate to let them go at that rate. I picked up 8 dozen blacks for 8.00 a dozen a few months ago. That was before we knew they were exiting the business.
  • ph00nyph00ny Members Posts: 1,679
    mcmac wrote:

dekez wrote:

What kind of deals are you seeing? I can't imagine stocking up on ANY ball that much as I don't see balls getting worse, but better over time.

ph00ny wrote:

mcmac wrote:

i have stocked up as well... about 20 dz platinums and 6 dz blacks. Cant pass up the great deals on a quality ball.

Where are you guys finding them? All the proshops nearby are out of them (surprisingly have a huge stock of black)

I haven't seen a single deal on the RZN Tour Platinums

I'm fortunate in that my son works for Nike, so I can get them for $15.00 a dozen right now. At least until they are gone... but at that price how can I pass them up. Will probably pick up some more here soon. I really hate to let them go at that rate. I picked up 8 dozen blacks for 8.00 a dozen a few months ago. That was before we knew they were exiting the business.

Wow i'm super jealous!!!!

These **** things are gone everywhere. If the place still sells nike balls then all they have left are tour blakcs
    Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
    TEE E8 Beta 13* 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW DGX100
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50* | SM5 54* | 58*
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore

Callaway FT-9 Tour 8.5* iMix Fubuki Tour 63X
    Titleist 681T 2-PW DGS400
    Odyssey Protype ix #1 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0
  • SefSef Members Posts: 899 ✭✭
    I played the tour black all season, when I found out Nike was leaving I picked up 6 dozen to play while I test other brands in search of a new ball. Played the Z Star XV for 2 years, I could always go back to that if I had to for a while. Playing the Tmag TPX right now, it's a good ball too, but so far the Snell MTB is the closest I have found and in the lead to become my new gamer.
    Ping G400 Max - Speeder Evolution IV 757 X
    TEE CBX - Diamana S+ 70TX
    Cobra King Utility - AD DI 95X
    Ping i210 4-9 - DG X100
    Glide 2.0 Stealth 46, 51, 56, and 60 - DG X100
    Cameron & Crown M1
  • gerbowski169gerbowski169 Gerbowski Members Posts: 22
    QuickFeet wrote:

Tate wrote:

Academy has the Black RZN for cheap

That is the 2015 ball.

Quick question- have you played either enough to know how the 2015 RZN blacks compare to the RZN tour blacks?
  • SunsterSunster Posts: 373 ✭✭
    As an average Joe 10 handicapper, the 2015 and 2016 play equally well to me
    Taylormade M2 Driver Hzrdus Red
    Callaway X2Hot with Aldila Tour Blue 4 wood
    Ping G25 20*, 23* hybrids,
    Srixon Z545 5-A irons in Nippon Pro 8950GH
    Cleveland 588 RTX-3 CB 54* & 58*
    Odyssey White Damascus #9HT
  • MSUIRONDAWGSMSUIRONDAWGS Members Posts: 748 ✭✭
    edited Nov 3, 2016 #69

QuickFeet wrote:

Tate wrote:

Academy has the Black RZN for cheap

That is the 2015 ball.

Quick question- have you played either enough to know how the 2015 RZN blacks compare to the RZN tour blacks?

I can answer this one...The 2016 ball is head and shoulders above the 2015 black. This year Nike really hit homeruns with both balls(black and platinum)......And then they go and bail on equipment...
  • ruffellprefleyruffellprefley Members Posts: 2,022 ✭✭
    What's the shelf-life of these balls? i'd hate to invest a small fortune to stock up and then have them be worthless before I get the chance to use them
  • gioreekogioreeko Members Posts: 318 ✭✭
    Love the RZN platinum, then hit the Kirkland pro signatures. Just as good, and sooooo cheap. It's like stealing.
    Driver: Taylor Made M1
    3 wood: Taylor made 12 degree mini driver TP
    3 Iron Mizuno Fli hi
    4-6: Mizuno mp18 MMC
    7-PW: Mizuno MP 18 SC
    Mizuno TP5 50, 56 degree
    Odyssey Versa Tank Putter
    Kirkland Tour ball
  • GMILLSGMILLS Posts: 172
    Nike dropped the price of the platinum to 29.99
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro Diamana Whiteboard
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro Black
    Nike Vapor Fly 3 Wood
    Vapor Pro Combo DG X100
    Nike Engage 52 & 56
    Nike Origin B2-01
  • the_big_cowthe_big_cow Members Posts: 29
    Z1ggy16 wrote:

I'm sure I could go buy 600 Nike RZN Black balls right now or something if I wanted balls for the next 10 years, but at some point I'd have to switch. And by then I'd probably be swinging differently anyway and that ball might not even fit me (currently play a med spin med launch ball).

I'd agree with this. You don't know what the future holds for you or golf ball tech.
  • justwellsyjustwellsy Posts: 972 ✭✭
    RZN Tour Platinum is honestly one of the best performing balls I've ever played and I prefer it over the ProV1x. However, I"m one of those people who likes to play what's still relevant. It's a stupid concept and shouldn't matter, but that's just my psyche.

If you like the balls, absolutely stock pile them!
    Taylormade M2 9.5 set to 7.5 (Matrix Ozik 70 X-Stiff)
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5 Deg X-stiff (Aldila Rogue Green)
    Mizuno MP-64 3-PW (DG X-100)
    Callaway MD2 50 deg
    Vokey SM4 54 Deg
    Callaway MD2 60 Deg
    Odyssey White Hot #7
    Ball: Apply for position
  • SunsterSunster Posts: 373 ✭✭
    Golf town stores are selling off the older gen RZNs for $22 at the mo.
    Taylormade M2 Driver Hzrdus Red
    Callaway X2Hot with Aldila Tour Blue 4 wood
    Ping G25 20*, 23* hybrids,
    Srixon Z545 5-A irons in Nippon Pro 8950GH
    Cleveland 588 RTX-3 CB 54* & 58*
    Odyssey White Damascus #9HT
  • MrFlapjackMrFlapjack Members Posts: 2,586 ✭✭
    Sunster wrote:

Golf town stores are selling off the older gen RZNs for $22 at the mo.

Not online, and my store was pretty much out last time I was there. Still looking to stock up on the Black Volts!
    Cobra LTD Pro HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
    Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
    Srixon Z U45 18, 20, 23 () (Testing Cobra F8 and Ping G 3 hybrids)
    Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff) (Testing Cleveland CBX 7-PW, and Nike Vapor Fly 4-6 irons)
    RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff) (Testing Cleveland CBX wedges 48, 52, 56 bent to 50, 54, 58)
    YES Milly - 100gm TLP. (Testing Ping Ketsch Mid)
  • SanzabarSanzabar Members Posts: 1,257 ✭✭
    What is the softest Nike RZN ball? I am a fan of softer golf balls and have been wanting to give the RZN a go.
    Ping G400 Max w/Evolution II 569
    Callaway V-Series Heavenwood
    Nike Vapor Speed 23*
    TaylorMade P790
    Nike Engage 56/60* & Callaway PM Grind 64*
    Nike Method Origin B1-01 Custom

#Colts #ForTheShoe
  • scotty_2987scotty_2987 Members Posts: 216 ✭✭

What is the softest Nike RZN ball? I am a fan of softer golf balls and have been wanting to give the RZN a go.

The RZN white is the softest
  • NeilviceNeilvice Members Posts: 182 ✭✭
    Down my way (outside of New Orleans) academy sports has both rzn black and platinum on sale for $20 dz. I picked up last 6 dz platinum but they had at least 20-25 boxes of blacks left.
    Cobra LTD Pro
    M2 3hl
    Nike vapor 3 hybrid
    Nike vapor pro Combo 4-aw
    Nike engage toe sweep 54,
    Callaway pm grind 60
    Nike Method Origin b1-01
  • claycclayc Members Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Neilvice wrote:

Down my way (outside of New Orleans) academy sports has both rzn black and platinum on sale for $20 dz. I picked up last 6 dz platinum but they had at least 20-25 boxes of blacks left.

i think academys all have the same pricing. picked up a couple dozen platinums for $20 each earlier this week.
  • Hammer22Hammer22 Members Posts: 424 ✭✭
    Neilvice wrote:

Those are the '14 model, although probably similar enough that most won't notice (the '16 version has "Tour" on the box):

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/nike-rzn-platinum-golf-balls-12-pack#repChildCatid=1251950
    nflam-button.png
  • interstate_45interstate_45 Members Posts: 128 ✭✭
    They are a great ball but i feel golf ball technology is at a halt currently, The top 5 or 6 golf balls are all essentially the same. can a mid or even low handicap tell the difference between a Pro V, RZN Tour, Chromesoft, TP X, etc?
    Taylormade M6 10.5 Tour AD IZ 6x
    Titleist TS2 16.5 Tour AD IZ 7x
    Titleist 818 H 19 Tour AD DI 85x HY
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro 3 Iron Atmos Blue 85X
    Mizuno JPX 900 4-9 DG TI S400 AMT
    Titleist SM6 48F & 54M DG TI S400
    Taylormade Hi Toe 60.10 DG TI S400
    Nike Method 001
    Taylormade TP5X
  • jpdxjpdx Members Posts: 1,536 ✭✭
    They are a great ball but i feel golf ball technology is at a halt currently, The top 5 or 6 golf balls are all essentially the same. can a mid or even low handicap tell the difference between a Pro V, RZN Tour, Chromesoft, TP X, etc?

Yes. Maybe not all of them. Whether it's subliminal or not I'm sure they can.
    Srixon z785 hzrdus black 6.5
    Nike
    Vapor Fly 3 wood 15* Diamana Blueboard
    Nike
    Vapor Fly 3 hybrid 20* Diamana Blueboard
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 DG Pro s300 -2*
    Nike
    Vapor Pro 4-PW DG s300 -2*
    Nike
    Engage 54* SS and 58* DS
    Nike Method Matter m4-12
    Nike Air Hybrid II Bag

b-team/travel bag
    Nike Vapor Flex 440 driver 9.5* Diamana Blueboard
    Nike Vapor Pro driver 11.5* Diamana Blueboard
    Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 wood stock r flex shaft
    Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 hybrid stock r flex haft

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4-AW DG Pro S300 -2*
    Nike Engage 50* SS 54* SS 60* DS
    Nike Method Origin b2-01
    Cure CX-2
    Nike Air Sport II and Hyperadapt
  • skisnutzskisnutz Members Posts: 219 ✭✭

I'm a mid capper with 95-100mph swing and I can tell them apart by feel. From hardest to softest:

V1x

Tpx

RZN Tour Platinum

V1

Chrome Soft

I play the tour platinum and love it. Bought 10 doz last week from Nike. Hoping to see another price reduction soon. Probably could not tell them all apart in a blind test other than the Chrome Soft as it's much softer than everything else. My first box of Ksigs arrives on Friday, can't wait to try them out to see how they compare to the Tour Platinum.
    Ping G400 Max 9.5* TPT Golf 16 MKP-MT-SW
    Ping G400 14.5* TPT Golf 15 LKP-MT-SW
    Cobra F9 Hybrid 19* Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 85s
    Srixon U85 22* Graphite Design Tour AD-95x
    Srixon 585 5-P N.S. Pro Modus Tour 105s
    Cleveland RTX-4  50, 54, 58 N.S. Pro Modus Wedge 115
    Scotty Cameron California Del Mar Custom
    Srixon Z-Star XV 
    skisnutz wrote:

My first box of Ksigs arrives on Friday, can't wait to try them out to see how they compare to the Tour Platinum.

please let us know how it compares!
  • skisnutzskisnutz Members Posts: 219 ✭✭

skisnutz wrote:

My first box of Ksigs arrives on Friday, can't wait to try them out to see how they compare to the Tour Platinum.

please let us know how it compares!

Played the K-sig yesterday in Denver with temps in the 50's. As much as I hate to say it, for me the Ksig is as good a performer as the Tour Platinum. I shot my average score yesterday with the Ksig, no better and no worse. I play to a 7.4 hcp

Ksig feels great off the driver and fairways. I sprayed the driver a bit but hit some of the best fairway shots ever. Hit a 5 wood 220 carry uphill and it stopped within 4 feet of the ball mark center of green. Long irons were fantastic also. Ball feels great, flies high and I got a 6iron shot to stop within a foot. Distance was similar in every respect (could be the cold air).

Wedges felt a little firmer but the ball reacted just like a tour ball should. Great spin and control and very similar to Tour Platinum, one hop and stop pitches were no problem. Putting with the Ksig feels very similar as well.

Aside from the Ksig's slightly firmer feel, I couldn't really tell the difference between the two. I like the feel of the Nike better, the Nike was straighter of the driver for me, and there is still no better ball in the wind than the Nike. I like the Ksig a lot but I love the Nike RZN Tour Platinum.
    Ping G400 Max 9.5* TPT Golf 16 MKP-MT-SW
    Ping G400 14.5* TPT Golf 15 LKP-MT-SW
    Cobra F9 Hybrid 19* Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 85s
    Srixon U85 22* Graphite Design Tour AD-95x
    Srixon 585 5-P N.S. Pro Modus Tour 105s
    Cleveland RTX-4  50, 54, 58 N.S. Pro Modus Wedge 115
    Scotty Cameron California Del Mar Custom
    Srixon Z-Star XV 
    great recap, skisnutz, thank you! at least there's a good affordable replacement for when we all run out of our RZNs. the nike employee price on the plats and blacks went back up to $30/dz from $15/dz, but if it goes back down before they're gone i plan on grabbing some more
  • MrFlapjackMrFlapjack Members Posts: 2,586 ✭✭
    Picked up 11 dozen volt blacks.
    Cobra LTD Pro HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
    Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
    Srixon Z U45 18, 20, 23 () (Testing Cobra F8 and Ping G 3 hybrids)
    Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff) (Testing Cleveland CBX 7-PW, and Nike Vapor Fly 4-6 irons)
    RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff) (Testing Cleveland CBX wedges 48, 52, 56 bent to 50, 54, 58)
    YES Milly - 100gm TLP. (Testing Ping Ketsch Mid)
  • EastCoastGolferEastCoastGolfer Daily Hacker Posts: 162
    What's a similar ball to the RZN Blacks? I have 3 dozen of them and they are my go to, but they're getting hard to find.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]ECG's WITB 2017![/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Taylormade M2 2017 D Type 10.5* Fujikura 50/60 S Flex[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]3Wood: Taylormade Aeroburner 15* Matrix Speed Rul-z R Flex[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]5Wood: Callaway XR 16 Pro 18* Diamana Rifle S Flex[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hybrid: Nike Vapor Fly Pro 3Hybrid 21* Mitsubishi Rayon Tensi CK Series R Flex[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Irons: Callaway x Forged 2013 5-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S Flex[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Wedges: [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist Vokey SM4 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold S Flex[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Wilson Staff FG Tour 54* KBS K-Rev 2.0 S Flex[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: Odessey White Hot 2 ball[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ball: W/S Duo [/font]
  • mlp021mlp021 Members Posts: 450 ✭✭
    MrFlapjack wrote:

Picked up 11 dozen volt blacks.

volt black? or volt black tour?
    Driver: Callaway Epic - Stiff
    Hybrid: Callaway Epic - 7 wood - Regular
    Irons: Mizuno JPX Hot Metal - Modus 105 Stiff
    Wedges: Mizuno T7 - 50, 54, 58, 62
    Putter - Odyssey Mini Jailbird
  • SydShanshalaSydShanshala Members Posts: 41
    I've seen a few posts from guys who bought tons of tour platinum but now want to play Bridgestone. PM me if you want to unload some cheap!