Taylormade P790 Irons

Comments

• JoeJoeJoeUrBoatJoeJoeJoeUrBoat Members Posts: 737 ✭✭
    Mine have been in the bag for a little while now. Loving the DG105 feel and flight. From someone who's always played heavier shafts, it's a nice feel. Also loving the UDI.

The i500 PING irons have my interest, but besides those I don't see anything else out there that could take these out of the bag. That means a lot coming from a guy who's gamed every single iron out there.
    I sold all my clubs...
  • smallssmalls Members Posts: 124 ✭✭
    larciel wrote:

Hot ****. I need to check my set out then, I'm getting 15-20yd gap between pw and 48.

I was recently fit for 790's. I was going to stick with my Vokey 46 PW if I bought them. The TM Fitter said that was a bad idea because I would have crazy gaps between my 9i and PW. I hit the 790 PW side by side with my PW and sure enough the 790 was considerably longer, despite only having 1 degree stronger loft. I'm guessing this is the same phenomenon. The 790 construction is probably the culprit.
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Members Posts: 2,318 ✭✭
    smalls wrote:

larciel wrote:

Hot ****. I need to check my set out then, I'm getting 15-20yd gap between pw and 48.

I was recently fit for 790's. I was going to stick with my Vokey 46 PW if I bought them. The TM Fitter said that was a bad idea because I would have crazy gaps between my 9i and PW. I hit the 790 PW side by side with my PW and sure enough the 790 was considerably longer, despite only having 1 degree stronger loft. I'm guessing this is the same phenomenon. The 790 construction is probably the culprit.

I agree, that's why I changed my gw from 48 to 46. Perfect 10yd gap between pw 790 and 46degree gap wedge now. Sounds crazy but that's p790
  • mikeditmikedit Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    Update from the shop I ordered from is that my set have shipped and I should be able to pick them up tomorrow afternoon. Just in time for the weekend tee times I hope.
  • LesmondLesmond Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭
    Driver: TaylorMade M6 10.5*
    Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
    Fairway: TaylorMade M3 19*
    Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
    Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 (raw) 50*, 54*
    Wedges: Honma T//World W4 60*
    Putter: TaylorMade Spider X copper 

21Pd3+4L8HL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg
  • JDCONJDCON Behind YouMembers Posts: 266 ✭✭
    CT10 wrote:

mason82 wrote:

Gave these one more round. I just want these to work, but they don't. Flew 4 more greens today, then hit an 8 iron on a 167 yard par 3 and stuck it ( that is an appropriate distance for me with an 8 iron). Had a 170 yard approach, he hit the 8 iron, and lost the ball in a creek behind the green.

Glad these seem to be working out for so many, but I find these the most frustrating irons I've ever hit. Will be moving on to i200 or 718 CB.

Found exactly the same with mine. Now looking at going back to Apex cf16 or i200, not sure which!!

Go back to CF16, I'm selling a set!
    Somebody #### in the hole! ~Phil M.
    Rick seems to be loving hitting this UDI so much he doesn't say much for few minutes and just hit, hit, hit. lol
  • jonn443jonn443 Jonnystx Members Posts: 4,622 ✭✭
    larciel wrote:

Rick seems to be loving hitting this UDI so much he doesn't say much for few minutes and just hit, hit, hit. lol

His Apex Utility is in serious danger...I call he has the 790 in the bag by next video.
    AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
    AB TP 3HL / 757
    XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
    DWS 24*/ VS Proto
    J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
    X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
    Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0
    jonn443 wrote:

larciel wrote:

His Apex Utility is in serious danger...I call he has the 790 in the bag by next video.

I think that's the club that's been in longest?

Why wouldn't he replace it with p790? Mishits goes as far as good shots and it looks 10x better than cally.

Win
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members Posts: 30,763 ✭✭
    jonn443 wrote:

larciel wrote:

Bye bye Cally 2 iron...
  • 2Bad4u2Bad4u Members Posts: 212 ✭✭

jonn443 wrote:

larciel wrote:

Bye bye Cally 2 iron...

I would be very surprised if the Callaway iron survives to the end of the month.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping Pioneer Bag
    Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 R-Flex
    Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
    Ping G400 4h, 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex
    Ping G700 7-PW, UW, SW, Recoil 780 ES F3 SmacWrap
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 60[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]˚ & 64˚, Recoil 760 ES F3 SmacWrap[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping Sigma G D66 | Sigma G Tyne Putters
    Snell MTB Black | MTB Red (Yellow), Golf Pride MCC+4 Grips
    Seamus Headcovers, Clicgear 3.5+ Cart, Leupold GX-4i2 Rangefinder [/font]
  • eebombeebomb Members Posts: 564 ✭✭
    What kind of launch is everyone getting with the p790 irons? Obviously shaft plays a big part but are these launching lower because of stronger lofts?
  • Axman55Axman55 Members Posts: 347 ✭✭
    edited Jun 9, 2018 #2924
    eebomb wrote:

What kind of launch is everyone getting with the p790 irons? Obviously shaft plays a big part but are these launching lower because of stronger lofts?

Beautiful high ball flight. I took my Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 7 iron with me to the range today. Same exact lie, length, and shaft as as my P790 7 iron (P790 is 2 degrees stronger) and the ball flight was much, much higher and yet penetrating at the same time with the 790. At least a club longer too. They are great clubs.
    Cobra F9 Tensei Pro White 70TX
    Titleist 917 F3 13.5 Tensei Pro White 80TX
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Accra TZ6 85X
    Srixon 785 4-PW CTaper
    Vokey SM6 52F CTaper
    Vokey SM6 58L (bent to 57) & 62M TT Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport
  • eebombeebomb Members Posts: 564 ✭✭
    Ok this mite sound weird but I am thinking of getting them 1 degree strong. I've had a couple injuries the last 2 years and went from hitting 8 iron from 150 to hitting 7 iron 145 now. Im currently using ping ie 1 with recoil 95 F4 which I ordered 1.5 strong. Still 7 going 145. Set before injury was ping s55 and my stock 8 iron was 150 yards. I'm concerned if I get 790 1 degree strong my launch will be to low?
  • Axman55Axman55 Members Posts: 347 ✭✭
    eebomb wrote:

Ok this mite sound weird but I am thinking of getting them 1 degree strong. I've had a couple injuries the last 2 years and went from hitting 8 iron from 150 to hitting 7 iron 145 now. Im currently using ping ie 1 with recoil 95 F4 which I ordered 1.5 strong. Still 7 going 145. Set before injury was ping s55 and my stock 8 iron was 150 yards. I'm concerned if I get 790 1 degree strong my launch will be to low?

I would hit them before bending them strong. They are pretty long. You may not need to go stronger with them and the right shaft. I would say get fitted. That was the best decision I made. The P790 wasn’t even on my radar when I went in for a fitting.
    Cobra F9 Tensei Pro White 70TX
    Titleist 917 F3 13.5 Tensei Pro White 80TX
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Accra TZ6 85X
    Srixon 785 4-PW CTaper
    Vokey SM6 52F CTaper
    Vokey SM6 58L (bent to 57) & 62M TT Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport
  • Pleasedwith3puttsPleasedwith3putts Members Posts: 1,735 ✭✭
    First up let me say that I wanted to buy a set of TM 790 but they can't build me a set at less than D6 at +1" even with lightweight shafts and their lightest heads so that was a deal-breaker for me.

I have tested them extensively on trackman with lots of different shaft options. If you remove all of the other variables (loft, shaft, swingweight, length) whereby the ONLY difference is the head, I didn't find them much longer than most other heads on the market for a properly struck shot.

They are forgiving so mishits may well go further and they look and feel good to me. The strong lofts make the real difference vs conventional loft clubs, but it's pure semantics if you take a 7 rather than a 6 simply because the 7 has the same loft as the 6

Not knocking them, it's a great product I would happily own, but getting fit into the right shaft has a far greater influence on performance than the extra "speed" you get off these irons vs competition with the same lofts.
  • BirdieBobBirdieBob PXG Members Posts: 4,128 ✭✭
    edited Jun 10, 2018 #2928

First up let me say that I wanted to buy a set of TM 790 but they can't build me a set at less than D6 at +1" even with lightweight shafts and their lightest heads so that was a deal-breaker for me.

I have tested them extensively on trackman with lots of different shaft options. If you remove all of the other variables (loft, shaft, swingweight, length) whereby the ONLY difference is the head, I didn't find them much longer than most other heads on the market for a properly struck shot.

They are forgiving so mishits may well go further and they look and feel good to me. The strong lofts make the real difference vs conventional loft clubs, but it's pure semantics if you take a 7 rather than a 6 simply because the 7 has the same loft as the 6

Not knocking them, it's a great product I would happily own, but getting fit into the right shaft has a far greater influence on performance than the extra "speed" you get off these irons vs competition with the same lofts.

I ordered some +1/2" and they came in at D0....had to pull the heads and add weight! DG 105 x100 shafts and they used lightweight heads.

If they had been +1" that would have been about D3.

WITB....GOLF EQUIPMENT MATTERS
    PXG 0811X Gen2, 9.0* (9.0), JDM Limited Edition 2016 Basileus AAA 60X
    PXG 0341X Gen2, 13
    (14.0), Tensei Pro Blue 70TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2, 18
    (17.0), Tensei Pro White 80TX
    PXG 0317X Gen2, 17
    (17.0), Tensei Pro White HY 100X
    PXG 0317X Gen2, 19
    (20.0), Tensei Pro White HY 100X
    PXG 0311X Gen2, Extreme Dark, #4 & #5 DI, DG TI AMT x100 LE ONYX
    PXG 0311P Gen2, Extreme Dark, 6 - P Irons, DG TI AMT x100 LE ONYX
    PXG 0311T 50
    Milled Sugar Daddy Extreme Dark, DG TI AMT x100 LE ONYX
    PXG 0311T 55* & 60* Milled Darkness Wedges, DG TI s400 ONYX
    SCOTTY Cameron Custom "Murdered Out" Select Newport M2 Putter, w/SC Black CircleT HC
    PXG Limited Edition Darkness Hybrid Stand Bag
    PXG Limited Edition Darkness Umbrella
    STEWART Golf X9 FOLLOW Electric Cart, Darkness model

BirdieBob wrote:

I ordered some +1/2" and they came in at D0....had to pull the heads and add weight! DG 105 x100 shafts and they used lightweight heads.

That's really interesting thanks. Did they have the etched dot in front of the serial number to denote light heads?

My guy was coming up with D6 at +1" with Shimada Constant shafts that should swingweight about 1-2 pts LESS than the DG 105 X100

Makes me wonder if he was just using the standard weight heads (apparently they had a green dot on them but no etched dot) even though he was told they were the lightest TM had
  • BirdieBobBirdieBob PXG Members Posts: 4,128 ✭✭

BirdieBob wrote:

That's really interesting thanks. Did they have the etched dot in front of the serial number to denote light heads?

My guy was coming up with D6 at +1" with Shimada Constant shafts that should swingweight about 1-2 pts LESS than the DG 105 X100

Makes me wonder if he was just using the standard weight heads (apparently they had a green dot on them but no etched dot) even though he was told they were the lightest TM had

Nothing special...no dots. Dealer ordered them +1/2" and lightweight heads.

WITB....GOLF EQUIPMENT MATTERS
    PXG 0811X Gen2, 9.0* (9.0), JDM Limited Edition 2016 Basileus AAA 60X
    PXG 0341X Gen2, 13
    (14.0), Tensei Pro Blue 70TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2, 18
    (17.0), Tensei Pro White 80TX
    PXG 0317X Gen2, 17
    (17.0), Tensei Pro White HY 100X
    PXG 0317X Gen2, 19
    (20.0), Tensei Pro White HY 100X
    PXG 0311X Gen2, Extreme Dark, #4 & #5 DI, DG TI AMT x100 LE ONYX
    PXG 0311P Gen2, Extreme Dark, 6 - P Irons, DG TI AMT x100 LE ONYX
    PXG 0311T 50
    Milled Sugar Daddy Extreme Dark, DG TI AMT x100 LE ONYX
    PXG 0311T 55* & 60* Milled Darkness Wedges, DG TI s400 ONYX
    SCOTTY Cameron Custom "Murdered Out" Select Newport M2 Putter, w/SC Black CircleT HC
    PXG Limited Edition Darkness Hybrid Stand Bag
    PXG Limited Edition Darkness Umbrella
    STEWART Golf X9 FOLLOW Electric Cart, Darkness model

BirdieBob wrote:

BirdieBob wrote:

Nothing special...no dots. Dealer ordered them +1/2" and lightweight heads.

OK thanks.
  • magnus7319magnus7319 A hungry dog hunts best - Lee Trevino Members Posts: 2,228 ✭✭
    Same here. Had to add length to get them to anywhere close to a good weight. Might want to just go to a retail location, grab a std set off the rack and have them weigh them. If there light... grab them and reshaft. I’ve had 3 sets of these all below d-0 stock.
    M2 or M3 or M4 or ...
    Some driving iron for my home Links course
    Titleist Blades when I feel lucky otherwise some AP2 or Pings
    A Vokey wedge or 2
    I love/hate every one of my 17 putters
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,261 ClubWRX

Their distance edge is mostly about the lofts and partly the design. I tested them against the i200 and with the Ping power spec lofts they go about the same distance in the same flight window. The 790 is chunkier and yet a little better looking to me than the i200, but I was more comfortable with all the clubs in the set with the Pings.

Could easily play either. I’d buy the 790 all day long over the PXG’s they compete with but I went with the Pings mainly due to the sole and I liked the turf interaction a little more. Went with the power spec and still get a nice mid-high flight window. I also have read so many tales of TM clubs arriving with specs all over the map that I did not want to mess with it. Company seems to have major issues with quality control on custom orders. You make custom orders for the precision you want and it seems to not be important to TM to deliver on those precise requests.

The best part of the 790 IMO is the long irons. Real easy to elevate.
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
    magnus7319 wrote:

Same here. Had to add length to get them to anywhere close to a good weight. Might want to just go to a retail location, grab a std set off the rack and have them weigh them. If there light... grab them and reshaft. I've had 3 sets of these all below d-0 stock.

Thank you - I'm in the UK and I know it's hard to believe but few retailers have a simple swingweight machine! It's nothing like PGASS or Golf Galaxy where they have full club-making facilities in store and you'd want to cry at some of the stuff you get told if you phone an OEM, the standard of service over technical requests tends to be horrible. Totally different experience which is why most of my equipment has been bought during my many visits to the US, especially Scottsdale.
  • SeaIslandSeaIsland Certifiable Members Posts: 135 ✭✭
    mason82 wrote:

Just can't figure these out. Played again yesterday and just can't get them dialed in. Hit my buddies 718 CBs and it was night and day. Better feel, better control.

Probably going to sell mine, which sucks because I was fit for these with freaking Oban shafts so I am going to take it in the shorts.
    . Did you sell them? Wondering about those Obans.... thanks,
  • SlamminSamuelSlamminSamuel Members Posts: 15
    Here's a success story for all you 12-16 index's out there. Went from struggling to find more than 5 or 6 GIRs a round with my s55s to flushing these buttery bad boys into 12-14 GIRs a round. Still dialing in distances as our range balls are the dreaded srixon limited flight balls, but I easily gained a club in distance and on some shots a club and a half with the p790s.
    TM Aeroburner Driver - 10.5
    TM Rocketballz 3W - 15
    TM SLDR 4H - 21
    TM 2011 Rescue - 23.5
    Ping S55 Orange Dot
    Mizuno Bettinardi C-02 33.5"
  • RodCRodC Members Posts: 358 ✭✭

I have them at +1” and they come at D3.5.

With modus3 105 S

Ping G400 Alta CB, X Shaft
    TM M2 3 Wood
    TM SLDR 4 & 5 Hybrid
    5-PW Mizuno MP-18SC - Steelfiber i95 (since Nov 17) - on the bag
    5-PW TM P-790 Modus 3 105 Stiff (since March 18) - on the bench
    Cleveland RX2 50/08
    CBX 54º Wedge, CBX 58º Wedge.

carbon-putters-revolver.png Carbon Ringo Putter
  • danielryanwdanielryanw Members Posts: 316 ✭✭

BirdieBob wrote:

Originally ordered mine at +1/2” with PX 6.5 (125g shafts) and they all came in right around D2. Added another 1/2” to them for a full inch over and they’re all around D4.5

Standard heads, no dots or etching.
    M3 8.5* | Synergy Black Proto 70tx
    M2 T3 13* DF | Tensei Pro Blue 80tx
    P790 2 UDI 17* | Tensei Pro White Hy 90tx
    '17 M1 20* hybrid | UST VTS Black 100hx
    Z745 4-PW | C-taper 125
    SM7 50*F 54*S 58*D | S400 TI Onyx
    Spider Tour Black

BirdieBob wrote:

Originally ordered mine at +1/2" with PX 6.5 (125g shafts) and they all came in right around D2. Added another 1/2" to them for a full inch over and they're all around D4.5

Standard heads, no dots or etching.

Thanks - I have messaged TM to try to understand how I am being told one thing, yet there are so many members here that evidence +1" over with Modus 105 should get close to D3 with lighter heads
  • SefSef Members Posts: 918 ✭✭
    adam.byrne wrote:
    No iron set will be all things to all people. Aside from the head, many other variables exist too such as shaft, length, lie, grips, etc. Seems clear to me the P790s work great for many, including myself. If the P790s (or insert any other major OEM model) don’t work for you, it isn’t because they inherently have gapping issues, are too hot, etc. Poor results are due to only one of two things: set build isn’t appropriate for you, or you aren’t putting a good swing on them.

But all that said I switch gear all the time because it is really fun to try all the new stuff and then “nerd out” with all my other “golf nerd” friends. So I’m not knocking this thread or posts, just feel this needs to be said. And I check this thread daily to read all the banter because I find it incredibly entertaining to read, so there is always that....

I disagree with this. Different heads are designed to have different ball-flight characteristics. If a player who naturally hits a high ball and already has moderate to low spin, say Jason Day, picked up the P790 it would be terrible for him. If a player who needs launch help grabbed some blades the higher CG would have them hitting bullets with too shallow a land angle.

I know I personally can’t flight the P790 down or spin it enough for it to be usable. Also, I have no need for a 220yd 7i. Weaken the lofts to increase spin and I hit it even higher. Some swings just do not work well with certain head designs. To me the P750 is the class of the current TM lineup.

Maybe this is what you mean by “set build” and if so my apologies, I took that to mean shaft profile, length, weight, flex, etc.
    Ping G400 Max - Speeder Evolution IV 757 X
    TEE CBX - Diamana S+ 70TX
    Cobra King Utility - AD DI 95X
    Ping i210 4-9 - DG X100
    Glide 2.0 Stealth 46, 51, 56, and 60 - DG X100
    Cameron & Crown M1
  • adam.byrneadam.byrne Members Posts: 219 ✭✭
    Sef wrote:
    adam.byrne wrote:
    No iron set will be all things to all people. Aside from the head, many other variables exist too such as shaft, length, lie, grips, etc. Seems clear to me the P790s work great for many, including myself. If the P790s (or insert any other major OEM model) don’t work for you, it isn’t because they inherently have gapping issues, are too hot, etc. Poor results are due to only one of two things: set build isn’t appropriate for you, or you aren’t putting a good swing on them.

But all that said I switch gear all the time because it is really fun to try all the new stuff and then “nerd out” with all my other “golf nerd” friends. So I’m not knocking this thread or posts, just feel this needs to be said. And I check this thread daily to read all the banter because I find it incredibly entertaining to read, so there is always that....

I disagree with this. Different heads are designed to have different ball-flight characteristics. If a player who naturally hits a high ball and already has moderate to low spin, say Jason Day, picked up the P790 it would be terrible for him. If a player who needs launch help grabbed some blades the higher CG would have them hitting bullets with too shallow a land angle.

I know I personally can’t flight the P790 down or spin it enough for it to be usable. Also, I have no need for a 220yd 7i. Weaken the lofts to increase spin and I hit it even higher. Some swings just do not work well with certain head designs. To me the P750 is the class of the current TM lineup.

Maybe this is what you mean by “set build” and if so my apologies, I took that to mean shaft profile, length, weight, flex, etc.

I agree. Set build to me includes all you mention including the head. The pros could game just about anything but you wont see more than a few game a full set of 790s. Totally agree for several reasons.

I love the banter and debates as much as anyone, but the reality is that the 790s are great, they just may not be great for everyone. We can say that about most major oem clubs and shafts. I’m as guilty as anyone though of searching for those unicorns. And we all know the unicorn is a jus a properly fit club. Yet many of us enjoy the “hunt” more than anything. I love how as soon as I want to try something I quickly get online to watch/read reviews as if that has anything to do with the results I’d see. But I do it anyways and will continue to do it because it is fun. Simply put, if anyone wants the best results they need to get fit. That of course includes myself. But I am currently gaming 790s in project x 6.0 that I wasn’t fitted for. And I’m playing a 2 iron which should probably be in someone else’s bag. Yet here we all are. But we’re having fun, right?!?