Mizuno ST 180 Driver

Lobber

Recently held auditions for new 2018 driver and have tried the following on both the launch monitor and home course testing:

Rouge

Rouge SZ

F8+

Ping GMax

Ping G400 LST

TM M3

TM M4

Mizuno ST 180

And the winner is the Mizzy ST 180. Best combination of low spin, high launch and forgiveness of the bunch in my hands. It's a bit loud but the performance drowns out any sound issues for me. I also put a CLK hybrid in the bag and could not be more impressed.

If you are in the market for a new driver don't overlook Mizuno. The progress they are making with their woods is excellent and I believe the ST 180 may be the sleeper driver of the year for a lot of players.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the same boat, gave Mizuno drivers a shot and was impressed with the numbers and performance. It's in the bag..........for now.

WITB:

Driver: PXG Gen 5 0311 XF 
3 Wood: PXG Gen 4 0341X 

7 Wood: Callaway Steelhead XR Heavenwood

Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 850 3H 

Irons: Ping i525 5-PW, Mizuno MP-H5 3 iron

Wedges: TM MG2 52*, Mizuno T7 56*
Putter: SC GoLo Select murdered out custom welded neck
Ball: Snell MTB Black

Good luck with your drivers! Have had a Mizuno iron, TM woods, and Vokey wedge bag for about 5-6 years now. I tried the ST against my ancient RBZ and wasn't compelled enough to pull the trigger. I wanted to love it, just didn't see a performance gain, but that is nothing new, I've been trying to upgrade for years without any luck. If the numbers or ball flight would have been better than what I've got I would have gotten over the sound, which does not evoke the butter Mizuno feeling. It's a beautiful club though, I'm glad Mizuno has closed the perceived gap over the major marketing manufacturers. I like that Mizuno and Cobra are offering for 400 what TM and Cally are offering for 500, it may give them a little more market share. If the performance is similar enough or better, why pay the extra 100?

I'm sure to give it another try when/if the old driver starts misbehaving. Maybe I had a weird testing day or familiarity was preferable so early in the season.

Recently held auditions for new 2018 driver and have tried the following on both the launch monitor and home course testing:

Rouge

Rouge SZ

F8+

Ping GMax

Ping G400 LST

TM M3

TM M4

Mizuno ST 180

And the winner is the Mizzy ST 180. Best combination of low spin, high launch and forgiveness of the bunch in my hands. It's a bit loud but the performance drowns out any sound issues for me. I also put a CLK hybrid in the bag and could not be more impressed.

If you are in the market for a new driver don't overlook Mizuno. The progress they are making with their woods is excellent and I believe the ST 180 may be the sleeper driver of the year for a lot of players.

What shaft did you go with?

Rouge

Rouge SZ

F8+

Ping GMax

Ping G400 LST

TM M3

TM M4

Mizuno ST 180

Stock Tesei Blue. And I am shocked by the performance. I bought it thinking I would need to upgrade but right now stock is working fine

Agree with this ^ post about the standard 9.5 head, set at 10.5 for me was a little uncomfortably closed at setup/address. So after some time with a few different heads and shafts, I tried the 12.5 HL head set at 10.5 and it was just a bit open which was perfect for the testing and what I ended up buying. It was exactly what I wanted with Tensei CK Blue S60 shaft. Butter and bombs...and sounds like it too. Since I have gone back to my precious JPX900 more for the sound and smaller footprint of the smaller head. I could game either and both yielded best in class performance data. Nice to see Mizuno putting some long game products out that meet or exceed the expectations of the legacy brands.

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

I just read an on line review with a lot of positives to report !!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

I've got it narrowed down to the St180 and the G400 Max. LOVE the mizzy performance-wise, but it just wants to sit a little closed. Anyone else notice this?

I will say, my miss with the driver is typically a little low...and the ST does a really good job of saving some ball speed when struck down there

In my experience it does look a bit closed but the spin is low and in fact for me lower than the Ping GMAX. Most importantly I am not hooking the ball with the Mizzy despite it appearing a bit closed.

Rouge

Rouge SZ

F8+

Ping GMax

Ping G400 LST

TM M3

TM M4

Mizuno ST 180

The ST 180 launches higher and spins less than many of the other drivers out there and holds its own on ball speed as well. It shouldn't be overlooked.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

I just read an on line review with a lot of positives to report !!

I suggest anyone in the market for a new driver try it. I also have the CLK 19 hybrid and just purchased the 3 wood with Tensei White 70 gram. First round tomorrow with the 3 wood and I can't wait.

I'd be really anxious to hear a report on the 3 wood...not many reviews around.

I'd also agree on the "not hooking it, despite it sitting closed". just something to get past mentally

Played 18 today and used the ST 3 Wood 3 tines. Ball jumps off face in similar fashion to Driver. Sound is muted and a bit more polite than the driver. Distance with the Tensei White 70 stock Stiff was excellent. Trajectory at the 15 degree setting was mid high boring. Overall for first round I am impressed. Managed a 76 with two doubles on back. Ugh!

Played 18 today and used the ST 3 Wood 3 tines. Ball jumps off face in similar fashion to Driver. Sound is muted and a bit more polite than the driver. Distance with the Tensei White 70 stock Stiff was excellent. Trajectory at the 15 degree setting was mid high boring. Overall for first round I am impressed. Managed a 76 with two doubles on back. Ugh!

Nice score with the two doubles! I have to agree and add that the 3metal in the ST180 family is very underrated for distance and consistency. This and he G400 are the best sole shaped 3metals out IMO. Just sits nice and flat with a semi shallow face. Love mine...looking forward to putting in my 76 with two doubles lol ?

Thanks. Had a chance for 70 without those doubles! My best ever is 74 so I was close. Probably shoot 90 next time out!

I hear you and that was solid! Great job and thanks for the right up on the ST monster

If I had not just picked up and bargain on the Cobra F7 plus the Mizzy was my next choice of driver to look at. I have a slight negative AoA and tend to hit the ball real high with a lot of spin, So any driver that helps with spin reduction is a good thing for me. I find when I go after the ball it just balloons and spins up. It could be a shaft thing and my negative AoA combined. This driver is under rated and will suprise a few with how good it is. I know it has my interest perked.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tried unscrewing the port on the bottom and adding hot melt?

Bump this. No one ever answered. Is the weight glued in? I just got one of these to test and I have the right tool, but it’s damn stubborn. Don’t want to strip it. If I need to put the torch on it could someone please chime in? If I end up keeping it I will need to holt melt it. I play drivers short and this thing is loud.

Guess I will try Mizuno customer service but those calls rarely give me any confidence.

Rouge

Rouge SZ

F8+

Ping GMax

Ping G400 LST

TM M3

TM M4

Mizuno ST 180

Stock Tesei Blue. And I am shocked by the performance. I bought it thinking I would need to upgrade but right now stock is working fine

Stock shafts have come a long way. I used to be an aftermarket re-shaft guy but last few driver purchases have had great stock shaft offerings.

Bump this. No one ever answered. Is the weight glued in? I just got one of these to test and I have the right tool, but it’s damn stubborn. Don’t want to strip it. If I need to put the torch on it could someone please chime in? If I end up keeping it I will need to holt melt it. I play drivers short and this thing is loud.

Guess I will try Mizuno customer service but those calls rarely give me any confidence.

Search. The same with about all of these: you need heat to remove the weight.

It's all right here:

http://www.golfwrx.c...tom-adjustment/

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

I have played the 2016 TM M2 for the last two years and was fairly happy with it. I got a great deal on the ST 180 and bought it mainly for the shaft, Tensei orange 50. This driver has been amazing. Easily longer than the M2 for me and ball flight is straighter. I can still duck hook the crap out of it, but the technology of this club is fantastic. Feel and spin off the face are much better than anything I have tried, including the Rogue. I get used to the color pretty quickly when I am standing in the fairway with a shorter club in my hand. I am thrilled with this club.

Search. The same with about all of these: you need heat to remove the weight.

It's all right here:

http://www.golfwrx.c...tom-adjustment/

Thank you! There are some very creative SOB’s on this forum. LOL!

I actually talked to Lauren at Mizuno who told me those are Not to be removed by Byers and it will void any warranty. She added that if I did wish to take it out anyway, it is applied with thread lock and needs a little heat to break it loose.

She said an angry customer had emailed her pictures of doing his after she initially told him she really didn’t know if it could be removed or not. Freaking hysterical!!

I have played the 2016 TM M2 for the last two years and was fairly happy with it. I got a great deal on the ST 180 and bought it mainly for the shaft, Tensei orange 50. This driver has been amazing. Easily longer than the M2 for me and ball flight is straighter. I can still duck hook the crap out of it, but the technology of this club is fantastic. Feel and spin off the face are much better than anything I have tried, including the Rogue. I get used to the color pretty quickly when I am standing in the fairway with a shorter club in my hand. I am thrilled with this club.

Waiting for an adapter to come to put my favored KKDC XT 70TX in it but I hit it with the standard KKDC 80x that came in mine yesterday.

Very promising even with the “wrong” shaft. There is no doubt that it is a long hitting low spinning golf club.

I will say however, all the reviews stating how loud it is are not exaggerating. It is undoubtedly the loudest driver I have ever hit. I hit a few in the covered stalls off of mats at my favorite range yesterday before I went to the grass tees and it was bordering on painful. People were sticking their heads out from around other stalls to try and see what the heck I was hitting. It was actually a little funny.

I will test it at 43.5” with my preferred shaft using lead tape to get the swingweight back up, but if I like it, it is getting 10 grams of hot melt immediately. Hopefully it will take the volume down a bit.

Thank you! There are some very creative SOB’s on this forum. LOL!

I actually talked to Lauren at Mizuno who told me those are Not to be removed by Byers and it will void any warranty. She added that if I did wish to take it out anyway, it is applied with thread lock and needs a little heat to break it loose.

She said an angry customer had emailed her pictures of doing his after she initially told him she really didn’t know if it could be removed or not. Freaking hysterical!!

Well, that was probably me she was referring to, but I definitely wasn't angry. Just pointing out that it's merely a screwed-in weight, and anyone with the correct bits and some heat can take it back out. Since the heads can be custom weighted if you order one through a Mizuno rep (I didn't happen to this time), it's odd that the weights wouldn't be available to an existing customer. Oh well, I figured out a way to do it in any case. If the driver was more popular, there would probably be aftermarket weights available like for the M2, G400, etc., but it's not the end of the world. Great driver otherwise - especially if you get the right shaft for it.

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

do you like the blue?

Blue is my favorite color, so yes, I actually love the blue.

Just need to get my earplugs out of my gun case I guess.

I almost bought this driver but the blue was almost overpowering to the eye. I love the mizuno brand and color scheme but for some reason the brightness of the crown took away from my focus. I'm sure id get used to it, but was curious how you liked it. Thanks

do you like the blue?

Blue is my favorite color, so yes, I actually love the blue.

Just need to get my earplugs out of my gun case I guess.

I almost bought this driver but the blue was almost overpowering to the eye. I love the mizuno brand and color scheme but for some reason the brightness of the crown took away from my focus. I'm sure id get used to it, but was curious how you liked it. Thanks

From a purely cosmetic basis, I think the color and the classic pear shape deep face design of my Titleist 917 d3 is more pleasing to my eye, but I don’t find the blue distracting at all. The new TS3 is definitely going to be purchased this fall unless the reviews are terrible, but I thought I’d test the ST180 for fun since the reviews have been quite good. I hit my 917 great and I love it so I doubt the MIzzy will challenge it, but you never know. I was bored and found a good deal on it so I couldn’t help myself. Total WRX move.

I can’t stand Pings whacked out titulators and drangonfly garbage, TM’s two tone paint, Callaways trianglular shape, f8’s new messy crown, So you definitely could call me picky. I won’t even try any of those based on looks alone. I literally hate them. Matte blue and a pleasing overall shape is no problem for me at all.

I’ll post how it goes with the new shaft in it later this week.

Me swinging a 45 inch 80x shaft vs my normal 43.5” 70 TX shaft really didnt tell me too much except that the potential was very good. I always forget how much I hate 45 or 45.5 inch shafts until I hit them again. Yuck.