Truvis a coversation starter?

1Mordrid11Mordrid1 Members Posts: 571 ✭✭
I bought the "limited release" stars and stripes truvis Chrome Softs because I was looking forward to watching Team USA. But we all know how well that is going. So this morning before league play I was almost embarassed to putt with them on the practice green before the round. But I did anyway, and it started about 8 different conversations about how bad Team USA is, and how horribly wrong Jim Furyk has managed the team.

I play truvis balls quite often but the only conversations playing them usually gets is an occasional "how do you like them", or "how do you play those soccer balls"

So does anyone else playing something other than a white or yellow ball get random conversations about it?
WITB

Callaway Rogue driver w/ Oban Tour Limited 4 60g
Callaway Rogue 4 wood w/ Oban Kiyoshi White 4 65g
Nike Sasquatch Sumo #4 hybrid(cut down 1") w/ H Diamana s
Srixon U65 20° Miyazaki Kaula 7 s
Ping G700 5-UW AWT 2.0(1°flat, 2° weak)
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 54/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 60/KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
Ping Sigma 2 Tyne (adjusted to 32")
Snell MTB Black

Comments

• Event^HorizonEvent^Horizon Members Posts: 71
    I've played the Red, White, and Blue truvis. The only comment I ever received was, "Your ball will be easy to identify,"
  • RohlioRohlio Members Posts: 2,308 ✭✭
    I play a matte Red vice ball sometimes... There is always at least one snarky comment by someone in the first few holes. Typically later in the round somebody will say something like "boy that is really easy to see, how does it feel?"
    WITB:
    Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
    FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
    Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
    Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
    Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,163 ✭✭
    I play them, yeah a lot of people ask what it's like to play them

I usually just say it's weird on chips but you get used to it
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-works #7 Red Tank
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,354 ClubWRX
    Two years ago the soccer balls got some attention, lol.

Can't imagine why I'd ever be embarrassed to play any golf ball, especially a USA ball - pretty sure it's still my country, whether the U.S. is or isn't up in the Ryder Cup.

Now, when your dog sports Stenson Ryder Cup shades, get back to me.
  • jjgottjjgott Members Posts: 97 ✭✭
    Yep I hear "Soccer Ball!" all the time when I pull it out of the bag. I actually find them not as easy to find as a pure white golf ball. And yeah the spin on chips looks pretty funky.
  • heatedwireheatedwire Members Posts: 64
    I tried them because I liked the way I could see them roll when I was practicing putting.

I also thought they would be easier to see on the course, but I found pure white balls easier for my eyes to find so I stopped that experiment.
  • I don't get "random conversations". I do get specific conversations when I pull out a Callaway "soccer ball" for chipping and putting on one of our practice greens. As the poster above stated, I explain to people that inquire, that I like to see the spin on the golf ball. The feedback is useful. However, I don't play them on the course.

* As a mathematics teacher, I am sensitive to the increased misuse of the term, random. No offense, intended.
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,146 ✭✭
    I start conversations about truvis balls a good bit. They are alive and well down here in Southern California. Mexicans do love the Truvis balls. I don't EVER see them up in New England.

So, I can see the negativity if someone goes about starting a conversation about "soccer balls" but, a well informed gentleman such as myself opening with speaking about "truvis" might come off as a little less gawdy. At the end of the day, they are chromesofts and easily one of the best ball on the market.

Just understand that a lot of people nowadays are socially akward. So take that to heart.
  • erock9174erock9174 North Canton, OHMembers Posts: 3,928 ✭✭
    I was playing with a couple random guys I got grouped with. Was playing a Truvis and sunk a long putt and the guy yelled GOOOOAAAAALLLL

Then he asked. Do you like those soccer balls ? Yup

Driver: Ping Rhapsody 16*
    FW: Ping G400 SFT 5w
    Hybrids: Exotics XRail 23*/26*
    Irons: Ping G700 6-UW
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 56*/60* - Callaway Sure Out 64*
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne H

• StumpnavStumpnav Members Posts: 141 ✭✭
    I play the red/white sometimes. I used to get comments at the start of the round, now they come on chips and putts about how easy it is to see the spin on chips and how true the roll is on putts.
    Epic 9.0 T800
    Epic 3W
    Epic Heavenwood
    (or Callaway UT XForged 18*)
    Callaway XForged 4-6
    Callaway MB 7-A
    Callaway MD Forged 56, 60
    Odyssey RSX001
    Chrome Soft X 18
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Members Posts: 6,800
    Yes, I play the CS Yellow/Black "soccer ball" and had a sleeve of the USA ball - others do talk about the spin on chips around the greens and often the conversation increases when it hits, skips, stop because the effect is increased.
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
  • Lagavulin62Lagavulin62 Members Posts: 1,976 ClubWRX
    The first time I saw one being played was Lee Trevino at one of the celebrity tournaments earlier this year. That’s typical Trevino but I have no problem with them, even though I wouldn’t play them. I may try an orange ball though.
  • 1Mordrid11Mordrid1 Members Posts: 571 ✭✭
    One of the feedbacks I hear from others that play them is that they love truvis around the green because you can see the spin.
    WITB

Callaway Rogue driver w/ Oban Tour Limited 4 60g
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood w/ Oban Kiyoshi White 4 65g
    Nike Sasquatch Sumo #4 hybrid(cut down 1") w/ H Diamana s
    Srixon U65 20° Miyazaki Kaula 7 s
    Ping G700 5-UW AWT 2.0(1°flat, 2° weak)
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 54/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 19 60/KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne (adjusted to 32")
    Snell MTB Black
  • Spaulding S.Spaulding S. Members Posts: 23 ✭✭
    I bought 2 dozen of the USA ones and have really liked the feel on the course and also have enjoy using them for chipping and putting practice.
    Are you gonna eat your fat?
  • jg1166jg1166 Members Posts: 335 ✭✭
    Love the ball and use them all the time, but its my Truvis Staff bag that gets the most comments, the wife bought it for me last year for my birthday at a charity auction and it can be polarising for some people
  • thejuicethejuice Members Posts: 2,065 ✭✭
    I hear comments when I play the red Vice balls (Pro Soft and Pro Plus). Some guys would call it pink and tease I'm playing with a woman's ball until we get to the 12th hole or so and they realize I've won several skins and about to win the overall low score pot. Then they ask, "where can I order those balls?"
    TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
    TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
    TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
    Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
    Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
    Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
    TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour