Just tried TP5 vs Pro V1x, wondered why this is happening

DLiverDLiver Members Posts: 2,605 ✭✭
I've run out of my old ball (2016 Bridgestone B330s) and need a new ball to play. I am interested by what I have read about the TP5, so I got a sleeve to try out. Today I was able to get in a few holes playing both the Pro V1x (which I had been playing since running out of the B330s) and the TP5. I LOVED the way the TP5 played off the irons. The thing just jumped into the are and went dead straight. Distance with the irons seemed about on par with the Pro V1x, but the TP5 flew much higher, which I liked.



However the Pro V1x was like 20-25 yards longer off the tee. I am guessing the TP5 spun too much. Does this sound like a reasonable explanation?



I guess I should try the TP5x, right? I would love to retain the high launch without giving up any distance off the tee.



(FWIW, I have never liked either version of the Pro Vs. I'm just playing them because I have a ton of them laying around.)



Thoughts?

Comments

  • ghoonkghoonk The Hoarder Members Posts: 213 ✭✭
    edited Dec 25, 2018 #2
    The TP5 is more of a competitor to the Pro V1, which is slighlty shorter, but plays much softer. You'll want to have a go at the TP5x, which trades a bit of softness and delivers more spin for a little more distance
    Srixon Z785 w/ stock Miyazaki Mahana (S) shaft
    Srizon F65 3w (15*) w/ stock Miyazaki Kaula (S)
    Srixon Z U85 20* driving iron
    Miura MC501 4-PW w/ TT S300 AMT White (S) shaft
    Miura 50*, 54*, 58* Forged black wedges w/ KBS Tour matt black wedge shafts
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #8 putter
  • Pokechop7Pokechop7 Members Posts: 6
    I just changed from Pro V’s to the TP5x and I will never go back. The distance, the feel and the extra spin I get around the green is unrivaled.
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,653 ✭✭
    DLiver wrote:


    I've run out of my old ball (2016 Bridgestone B330s) and need a new ball to play. I am interested by what I have read about the TP5, so I got a sleeve to try out. Today I was able to get in a few holes playing both the Pro V1x (which I had been playing since running out of the B330s) and the TP5. I LOVED the way the TP5 played off the irons. The thing just jumped into the are and went dead straight. Distance with the irons seemed about on par with the Pro V1x, but the TP5 flew much higher, which I liked.



    However the Pro V1x was like 20-25 yards longer off the tee. I am guessing the TP5 spun too much. Does this sound like a reasonable explanation?



    I guess I should try the TP5x, right? I would love to retain the high launch without giving up any distance off the tee.



    (FWIW, I have never liked either version of the Pro Vs. I'm just playing them because I have a ton of them laying around.)



    Thoughts?




    There’s no chance two modern Tour level golf balls will be 20-25 yards apart off the tee when using the same club to hit both balls.
    Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • starsail85starsail85 Members Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    noodle3872 wrote:

    DLiver wrote:


    I've run out of my old ball (2016 Bridgestone B330s) and need a new ball to play. I am interested by what I have read about the TP5, so I got a sleeve to try out. Today I was able to get in a few holes playing both the Pro V1x (which I had been playing since running out of the B330s) and the TP5. I LOVED the way the TP5 played off the irons. The thing just jumped into the are and went dead straight. Distance with the irons seemed about on par with the Pro V1x, but the TP5 flew much higher, which I liked.



    However the Pro V1x was like 20-25 yards longer off the tee. I am guessing the TP5 spun too much. Does this sound like a reasonable explanation?



    I guess I should try the TP5x, right? I would love to retain the high launch without giving up any distance off the tee.



    (FWIW, I have never liked either version of the Pro Vs. I'm just playing them because I have a ton of them laying around.)



    Thoughts?




    There’s no chance two modern Tour level golf balls will be 20-25 yards apart off the tee when using the same club to hit both balls.




    Correct



    I would be surprised if there was 3 yards difference even on somebody who was a bad fit with the tp5
    Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
    Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
    Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
    Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
    Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

    Ball - pro v1x
    Grips - Crossline cord

    Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58
  • AC168AC168 Members Posts: 832 ✭✭
    Need more launch data, but based on my experience and what I’ve heard from testers, the TP 5 might not be optimizing time in the air off your driver. Also, are you playing in super wet or dry conditions? Balls shouldn’t be 25 yards apart. Maybe 10 max.
  • 3woodvt3woodvt 5 test drives for clubface contact. #footpowder Members Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    edited Dec 26, 2018 #7
    I duck hooked a prov1and proceeded to hit a z star 230 yards past the prov1 I never looked back and still play the zstar.

    Base your decision on feel around the green would be my 2cents
    Cobra F9 8.0 Atmos TS Black7x
    Cobra F8+ 13.5 Aldila7x
    Adams A12 19* VTS Proforce 100hs
    Srixon Z945 4-PW KBS Tour 120s
    Cleveland 2.0 51**,55**,59*
    Ping Zing TR
    Srixon Z
  • DLiverDLiver Members Posts: 2,605 ✭✭
    So you guys are saying that if one ball launches a couple degrees higher and spins 700 rpms more than another ball, they'll still be 3 yards apart? Seriously?
  • bcflyguy1bcflyguy1 Enjoying my coffee... Members Posts: 3,014 ✭✭
    edited Dec 27, 2018 #9
    No, they're saying that two different balls struck identically aren't going to have that much difference in performance off the driver. The difference in the balls is not great enough to explain seeing that much difference in launch parameters and distance. However, variables in quality of strike can certainly explain why that would be happening.
    Never forget that the luxury of being
    wrong is not enough to make you right.
    WITB Link
  • HalohaHaloha Golf Addict Members Posts: 173 ✭✭
    DLiver wrote:


    I've run out of my old ball (2016 Bridgestone B330s) and need a new ball to play. I am interested by what I have read about the TP5, so I got a sleeve to try out. Today I was able to get in a few holes playing both the Pro V1x (which I had been playing since running out of the B330s) and the TP5. I LOVED the way the TP5 played off the irons. The thing just jumped into the are and went dead straight. Distance with the irons seemed about on par with the Pro V1x, but the TP5 flew much higher, which I liked.



    However the Pro V1x was like 20-25 yards longer off the tee. I am guessing the TP5 spun too much. Does this sound like a reasonable explanation?



    I guess I should try the TP5x, right? I would love to retain the high launch without giving up any distance off the tee.



    (FWIW, I have never liked either version of the Pro Vs. I'm just playing them because I have a ton of them laying around.)



    Thoughts?




    why dont you try the new Tour B's since you were using the 330's?
    Bag of tricks
    Driver: Callaway Rogue SZ 10.5 w/Graphite Design AD-DI 6X
    Wood: Taylormade M1 3HL w/Graphite Design AD-DI 7X
    Hybrid: Taylormade M1 4HY-21 w/Graphite Design AD-Di 95S
    Irons: Callaway '18 X-Forged 4-PW DG TI S400 -2 flat/ +2 strong
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6-52/ SM7-56/SM6-60 Copper Lmt.Ed.
    Putter: Scotty Cameron H18 or Select M-1
    Ball: Titleist Pro-V1X or Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • indianalawnguyindianalawnguy Members Posts: 434 ✭✭
    bcflyguy1 wrote:


    No, they're saying that two different balls struck identically aren't going to have that much difference in performance off the driver. The difference in the balls is not great enough to explain seeing that much difference in launch parameters and distance. However, variables in quality of strike can certainly explain why that would be happening.




    Right on the $!
  • MakersMarsh3MakersMarsh3 Members Posts: 1,205 ✭✭
    edited Dec 30, 2018 #12
    TP5X should launch even higher. Check them out
    lead tape & Taylormade TP5X's
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 954 ✭✭
    noodle3872 wrote:

    DLiver wrote:


    I've run out of my old ball (2016 Bridgestone B330s) and need a new ball to play. I am interested by what I have read about the TP5, so I got a sleeve to try out. Today I was able to get in a few holes playing both the Pro V1x (which I had been playing since running out of the B330s) and the TP5. I LOVED the way the TP5 played off the irons. The thing just jumped into the are and went dead straight. Distance with the irons seemed about on par with the Pro V1x, but the TP5 flew much higher, which I liked.



    However the Pro V1x was like 20-25 yards longer off the tee. I am guessing the TP5 spun too much. Does this sound like a reasonable explanation?



    I guess I should try the TP5x, right? I would love to retain the high launch without giving up any distance off the tee.



    (FWIW, I have never liked either version of the Pro Vs. I'm just playing them because I have a ton of them laying around.)



    Thoughts?




    There’s no chance two modern Tour level golf balls will be 20-25 yards apart off the tee when using the same club to hit both balls.


    As you say...no chance.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

    Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,847 ✭✭
    bcflyguy1 wrote:


    No, they're saying that two different balls struck identically aren't going to have that much difference in performance off the driver. The difference in the balls is not great enough to explain seeing that much difference in launch parameters and distance. However, variables in quality of strike can certainly explain why that would be happening.








    eh--i see a full club difference between the current V1x and callaway chrome soft X on irons... the v1x spins unbelievably high . Im not sure that there couldnt be over 10 yards difference with driver... 20 -25 is pushing it ..but 3? id say more than that for me with the above example.... V1x just plain sucks.. the grey stripe v1x of 2015 wasnt this way ..
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • CwebbCwebb Members Posts: 5,876 ✭✭
    Maybe you need to explore the V1x some more, if it has proven to perform that well for you. Always go with your own results, over what anyone else says should happen
  • clfergusclfergus Members Posts: 73
    Buy a sleeve of the titleist AVX and give them a shot. They are suppose to be longer off the driver than the V1 and V1X due to reduced spin and a lower launch.



    I compared them to the V1, V1X, TP5X and they were by far the longest off the tee and irons for me. They were straighter than the others and I didn't notice any real softness around the greens. in fact, I thought the TP5X was more clicky feeling around the green and firmer.



    I am an old Bridgestone B330 RX player and am seeing the best results from the AVX. They were suggested by another member on here and I am glad I tried them. Seems likes a few other players on here have your game and have loved the AVX.
Sign In or Register to comment.