Garmin Approach G80

PingPonchoPingPoncho PingPonchoMembers Posts: 1,390 ✭✭
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/597253

Take Your Game From the Range to the Course
  • Features 3.5” sunlight-readable touchscreen display and slim design with quick button access to radar
  • Integrated launch monitor tracks club head speed, ball speed, smash factor, swing tempo and estimated distance
  • Preloaded with more than 41,000 detailed color golf course maps worldwide
  • Practice and game modes allow you to test your skills and work to improve your game
  • Rechargeable battery lasts up to 15 hours with GPS

Why buy a golf handheld and a golf radar separately when it’s so easy to get both in a single convenient unit? Approach G80 is the first all-in-one premium GPS golf handheld with integrated launch monitor. Garmin radar technology makes it easy to track club head speed, ball speed, smash factor, swing tempo and estimated distance.

Comments

• johntchowjohntchow Irvine, CAMembers Posts: 100 ✭✭
    will need to see how accurate the launch monitor functionality is
  • bradleyguyebradleyguye Lefty Boomers Posts: 866 ✭✭
    Wow. This has potential. Exactly why I waited on buying the G8
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 8,972 ✭✭
    edited Jan 22, 2019 9:27pm #4
    That’s pretty sweet if it’s accurate.
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • dbdorsdbdors Houston, Clear Lake areaClubWRX Posts: 1,751 ClubWRX
    Almost too good to be true. I don't think I would use a dedicated launch monitor much at all, but I'd pay a bit extra for this as I really like my G8 and use it a lot. A built in launch monitor would be lagniappe.

Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6, stiff: TM M5, 13*, Diamana Thump 75, stiff
    Hybrids: TEE CBX 3H (20d), 4H (22d), Kuro Kage Silver Hybrid 80, stiff
    Irons: TM M6, 5-GW, Accra 80i, stiff
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 54* (bent to 55*), 60*, Accra 80i, stiff
    Putter: Evnroll ER1.2 355g, 33", SS Counter Core Mid Slim 2.0
    Ball: Wilson Duo Professional in green & yellow
    Bag/Cart: '18 Ping Hoofer/Clicgear 3.5+
    Accessories: Garmin G8/Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized
  • HipCheckHipCheck Toed it a lil, Romes. The Right CoastMarshals Posts: 6,232 mod
    It seems impressive seeing it today.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud

• Zip-in-ZZip-in-Z Z-Z's First Love - 1970 Members Posts: 796 ✭✭
    Tks for sharing ... now on my to-buy list.

D.
    Ping G400 Driver - Tensei Pro Orange 60 or Tour Ad Di6 Stiff
    Ping G400 14.5* 3 Wood - Tour Ad Di8-S
    Ping G400 22* HYB -Tour AD Di-85S Hybrid
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-9i - Steelfiber i95S
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Tour AD Di85 Stiff
    Titleist SM5 Steelfiber i110S - 46-50-56-60
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna
    Sun Mountain C130 bag V1 Sport Cart
    Garmin Approach G80
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,070 ✭✭
    edited Jan 23, 2019 6:18am #8
    I really like the concept but (IMO) w/o spin measurement, I think the money would be better spent on a MEVO. But then I'm not one to be interested in that much GPS functionality and actually prefer a simple/basic watch GPS. If you're the type that would normally be interested in a $350 G8 GPS, then a little extra for the radar certainly could easily be worth it.
  • St JimmySt Jimmy Members Posts: 405 ✭✭
    About the size of the older iphone?
    Ping G400
    Ping G400 stretch 3
    Mizuno HM 4 iron bent to 19 degrees
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura Y Grind 51
    Miura K Grind 56
    Scotty Golo 3
  • emoemo Members Posts: 853 ✭✭
  • HipCheckHipCheck Toed it a lil, Romes. The Right CoastMarshals Posts: 6,232 mod
    St Jimmy wrote:

About the size of the older iphone?

Yes but thicker. Has a bevel on the back so it's not quite flat. It's light too. I'd love to review it, honestly.

You can play a "virtual round" game by yourself or a friend on the range using one unit. So you can practice going through the holes of any course you have on the unit. That was a great feature to me.
    Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud

• dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 11,687 mod
    What is this unit actually measuring - especially being setup to the side like that - vs behind the ball like the Mevo?

Is it just measuring clubhead speed and then estimating the rest?
    M3 12* - AD-DI6x Black
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95 s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Toulon Indy 35" / TM TP5
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,070 ✭✭
    edited Jan 24, 2019 8:03am #13
    dcmidnight wrote:

What is this unit actually measuring - especially being setup to the side like that - vs behind the ball like the Mevo?

Is it just measuring clubhead speed and then estimating the rest?

More likely measuring both club head speed and ball speed - similar to the SC100.

Club head speed accuracy: +/- 5 mph

Ball speed accuracy: +/- 2 mph
  • grant2145grant2145 Members Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Found a copy of the quick start manual online. You place the device on the ground within 1 foot of the ball, in line with you and the ball. It sounds like it is a swing caddie with GPS.
  • Lomo SaltadoLomo Saltado Members Posts: 63 ✭✭
    grant2145 wrote:

Found a copy of the quick start manual online. You place the device on the ground within 1 foot of the ball, in line with you and the ball. It sounds like it is a swing caddie with GPS.

Here's a link to the manuals

https://support.garm...e=en&country=US

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°
    Ping G410 3w 15°
    Ping G410 5w 18°
    Ping G410 Hybrid 22°
    Ping G410 Irons 5-UW
    Ping Glide Forged Wedges 54°, 60°
    Scotty Cameron Select Squareback
    Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite 2018
    Ball: Titleist AVX
    Ball mark: 1 Seychelles Rupee Coin

• PhreddyPhreddy Members Posts: 612 ✭✭
    I think this is a very cool product with innovative technology. That having been said, why? If I am outdoors on a range my ball flight and observable distance tell me what I need to know. For me, the real benefit of monitor would be for indoor off season use or a club fitting. I simply don't have the space for that kind of set up and I don't know if this product is intended for indoor use.

I am old, grumpy and generally in the way. I like very much the idea of an iPhone size screen with yardages to front, back and center of the green as well as the ability to get yardages to hazards and bunkers. But that is all I need. I can keep score with a pencil, the USGA tracks my handicap and i compare scores with my friends at the 19th hole.

This looks like a great product but probably more tech than I would need.

phred
    If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.
  • Duke of HazardsDuke of Hazards Members Posts: 129 ✭✭
    I think the 'virtual round' function for outdoor range sessions is actually the most intriguing feature if it's done reasonably well.

I think the 'virtual round' function for outdoor range sessions is actually the most intriguing feature if it's done reasonably well.

Agreed. I think that's great functionality if implemented correctly. Makes range time actually interesting.

• MathwizMathwiz Members Posts: 986 ✭✭
    I think I will be in the [looking for a deal from someone selling their G8 for a good price] club.
    Ping G400 Max 10.5°
    Taylormade 2017 M2 15°
    Srixon U65 20° 3 iron
    Srixon z565 4 thru PW
    48° & 52° Cleveland CBX wedges
    Cleveland Smart sole wedge 58°
    Ping Sigma 2 Kushin  center shaft

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,373 ✭✭
    The ability to use it as GPS and basic launch monitor is intriguing but at that price point it's missing a number of launch monitor features the SC300 and MEVO offer.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • pstmstrpstmstr Members Posts: 64 ✭✭
    Got a new Bushnell Hybrid GPS/Laser I’d sell cheap and pick up one of these instead.
  • KmacKmac Members Posts: 687 ✭✭
    No real reviews of this yet? I need to see some examples of how well it does or doesnt work before buying.
    Has anyone here got one yet and actually field tested it on an outdoor range ?

Would like to get some actual feedback, thinking of buying one here in Palm Springs since I'm here until early April.

D.
    Garmin Approach G80
    Decided to buy one while I'm here in Palm Springs for the next 2 months and have the chance to test it out. Palm Springs got 3.7" rain yesterday, off to the range today and booked a t-time at Escena tomorrow morning. Will update accordingly.

David

What comes in the box.

9GHdHst.jpg

Size G80 next to a LG Q6.

trMd5Ee.jpg

Something to be aware of, if you have vision issues the numbers may be a bit hard to see - Escena Hole #1.

fiAHFTl.jpg
    Garmin Approach G80
  • dbdorsdbdors Houston, Clear Lake areaClubWRX Posts: 1,751 ClubWRX
    Nice to see that it comes with the bar mounts (great for push carts), in the past this was an extra. I assume that the belt clip mount has a bar mount on the back. For the G8 you had to have two mounts, belt and bar were separate.

Can you test the simulated game on the range, would love to hear how that works. I know if I had a portable launch monitor, that is what I would want to do with it.

Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6, stiff: TM M5, 13*, Diamana Thump 75, stiff
    Hybrids: TEE CBX 3H (20d), 4H (22d), Kuro Kage Silver Hybrid 80, stiff
    Irons: TM M6, 5-GW, Accra 80i, stiff
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 54* (bent to 55*), 60*, Accra 80i, stiff
    Putter: Evnroll ER1.2 355g, 33", SS Counter Core Mid Slim 2.0
    Ball: Wilson Duo Professional in green & yellow
    Bag/Cart: '18 Ping Hoofer/Clicgear 3.5+
    Accessories: Garmin G8/Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized
    OK ... I read the paper "Quick Start Manual" that came in the box, all 9 pages, then signed in to the Garmin Connect website and registered my unit and updated my Profile, I own 3 Garmin gadgets, it automatically updated the software & the preloaded courses as well the User Manual, that took less than 10 minutes. Between the paper manual provided & the Website manual it's easy to understand how the unit functions.

When you push the top power button IMO it takes to long to start up & it takes you to a menu with 5 choices, Start New Round - Warm UP - Tempo Training - Target Practice - Virtual Round. Each of the 5 functions noted also have a "Tips" function that helps you through or understand what to do or how it works. In other words it's pretty easy to operate.

Here's a brief review of my 45 minute range demo session with my G80, forgot my camera, will take some pic's next time.

I started with the "Warm Up" function, placed the G80 on a golf ball so it sits at a bit of an angle and 12" away from my range ball. The unit doesn't ask or know what club your using, I started with my P/W, then 8i, 7i, 5i, 3i then 3w & finally driver. The readings were close to my actual distances so the radar function works for me. I was practicing off a grass range & normally take a divot, a point I didn't like is, I was always moving the G80 back a few inches across from my ball to a flat piece of grass. If you were hitting off range mats the G80 would be stationary no need to adjust it. Need to do more testing, to see if the ball doesn't have to be directly across from the unit to correctly take a reading. Should also mention I had 3-4 balls that I hit that didn't register whatsoever, I had to reset the 'Warm Up" function to get it reading again. The unit provides your S/S, it told me I lost 2-3 mph, need to work on improving my driver S/S.

oHPnFMr.png

I briefly tried the Tempo Training, it has 6 options "Amateur" or "Pro" - "Slow" - "Medium" - "Fast", the system "Tip" function suggests the Tempo Goal is 3.0, mine needs work.

Dbdors ... I tried the "Virtual Round" function and played Escena's first 5 holes from the Championship (Gold) it was fun but kinda hokey pokey, the unit says I hit every fairway, while I had at least 1 big hook & slice. On the 3rd hole a 168 yd par 3, holed out with an Ace! You also use up range balls hitting a 25 yd chip shot and you don't use a putter, the system completes the hole for you and takes you to the next hole.

Time to start the BBQ .... stay tuned, more to follow.

David
    Garmin Approach G80
    Thanks for the update. Interesting.
  • djmyers2djmyers2 Members Posts: 19
    I am definitely interested to see what the comparisons look like with things like the MEVO and other low-cost launch monitors. It seems incredibly promising.
  • JlonzanidaJlonzanida Members Posts: 1
    So eager to pull the trigger on this, I have the mevo already and love it, but this looks easier to set up and use at the range. At least moving it because of divots will be easier. Not to mention the GPS that I can use for the course. What WRX'er is going to post some side by side reviews for me so I can kinda tell my wife this wasn't an impulse buy. image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />
    I’ve had one in the shopping cart a couple of times already but holding up on another review or 2 as well