Re-gripping for Idiots: What do I need?

ChunkAndRun2ChunkAndRun2 Members Posts: 27 ClubWRX

Hey All,

Im sure this is on here somewhere, but I couldnt find it so figured I would start a new thread. I have always been too lazy to regrip on my own and just dropped them at the shop, but figured I should grow up and start doing it on my own and saving time/cash. My question really is what setup do you all use? What is necessary, and what is superfluous? I dont need all the bells and whistles, just want to be able to get things done quickly and relatively cleanly. Any recommendations are appreciated.
Thanks for the help, and sorry for the super basic question.

Driver - Titleist 913 D2
3 Wood - Titleist 915
Driving Iron - Mizuno MP 18 MCC
4-PW - Titleist 716 CB
Wedges - 50* 55* 60* Vokey SM7
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0

Comments

• grickygricky Members Posts: 42 ✭✭

vise, rubber shaft clamp for vise, odorless mineral spirits, build-up tape (if you like that sort of thing), grip tape, pan to catch the mineral spirits, and a little elbow grease. it's easy.

• DFinchDFinch Members Posts: 1,355 ✭✭

All you really need is a utility knife to strip the old grips, grip tape, solvent (or water for water activated tape), tape, and new grips.
    If you make sure you get the tape and inside of grip wet enough, it is easy to wedge the head of the club into a corner, line up the grip, and slide it on in one firm, straight motion. No vice necessary.
    I did my last set for the first time with water activated tape and got the first attempt stuck halfway down. Luckily I had several extra grips. A touch of dish soap made it much easier.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Evenflow White / Cobra F6 3W 14.5* / Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5* / Maltby TS2 DG105 X100 / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Evnroll ER8 Gravity Grip / Snell MTB X
  • Adam CAdam C Members Posts: 237 ✭✭

Here is a link that covers all the basic stuff you need and how to do it.

• BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭

I’ll add two utility knives, one with a regular blade and one with a hook blade come in handy. A condiment or spray bottle for the solvent. Grip tape and scissors. A tape measure and sharpie to mark the shaft for grip tape placement. A vise is good to have with a rubber shaft clamp but if I’m doing just one club I’ll do it without and have no issues. The catch pan is optional depending on where you will doing the work. The most irritating part of changing grips is removing old tape.

• CircleC29CircleC29 Members Posts: 810 ✭✭

If you get mineral spirits be sure to get the clear jug, not the white mineral spirits.

Contents of bag subject to change.
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,226 ✭✭

Hook blade utility knife
    Double sided tape
    Lighter fluid

I do mine outside so I don’t worry to much about the fluid.

Don’t need much.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭

@CircleC29 said:
    If you get mineral spirits be sure to get the clear jug, not the white mineral spirits.

They both work fine. The non odorless mineral spirits will be paint thinner.

• CircleC29CircleC29 Members Posts: 810 ✭✭

@BiggErn said:

@CircleC29 said:

They both work fine. The non odorless mineral spirits will be paint thinner.

There is also white odorless mineral spirits that doesn't work as well. Takes a lot longer to dry.

Contents of bag subject to change.
  • mogc60mogc60 Members Posts: 292 ✭✭

Knife, double sided tape, grip, lighter fluid and a towel to wipe grip after install. I also just do mine outside. Remove grip and old tape, add new tape, pour a little in the grip(make sure you have a finger on the hole in the back) swish a little, pour over tape, slide on grip and wipe with a towel. Align. Done.

• Mikey5eMikey5e Members Posts: 724 ✭✭

@gricky said:
    vise, rubber shaft clamp for vise, odorless mineral spirits, build-up tape (if you like that sort of thing), grip tape, pan to catch the mineral spirits, and a little elbow grease. it's easy.

Pretty much what is mentioned above, with the emphasis on how easy it really is. In fact, I'll go a step further and say that building my own Iron set was pretty simple too.

• DBurnsDBurns Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

I have evolved from doing it freehand bracing the club head in a corner or between my feet to now using a vice and shaft clamp and I wouldn't consider doing it without a vice mounted on a sturdy bench.

• Howard JonesHoward Jones Members Posts: 8,467 ✭✭

@BiggErn said:
    I’ll add two utility knives, one with a regular blade and one with a hook blade come in handy. A condiment or spray bottle for the solvent. Grip tape and scissors. A tape measure and sharpie to mark the shaft for grip tape placement. A vise is good to have with a rubber shaft clamp but if I’m doing just one club I’ll do it without and have no issues. The catch pan is optional depending on where you will doing the work. **The most irritating part of changing grips is removing old tape. **

Use electric hairdryer (2.hand store) and heat up the tape a little and its easy to peel it off.
    Mitchel had a fantastic tape scraper tool, who should be combined with a "cone" on the bench to fix the butt end of the shaft.
    Those 2 and some heat...old grip tape is gone at no time at all.

ADD a Caliper to the tool list.
    You should measure the actual shaft butt, both at the end, and 10 inch down, and adjust with BU tape to get the same grip size on all clubs.
    If starting diameter is different, grip size or shape become different, since we on stepped steel shafts might be over a few steps on the lower end of the grip, and that butt diameter might vary.

• ninjabninjab Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited Apr 17, 2019 1:47pm #14

If you already have an air compressor, I would recommend blowing on grips. Just need the air compressor, masking tape or I like blue painters tape, and the utility knife. No solvent to deal with, no special tape, it makes changing grips a breeze.

• double_ddouble_d Members Posts: 319 ✭✭

1) Razor knife for stripping
    2) Grip tape
    3) Grip solvent or mineral spirits
    4) Grips
    You do not need a vice. I have been re-gripping myself for years and I have never used one.

• farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,779 ✭✭

I like the air method, but it requires more stuff. If you don't have a vise, I recommend you use a utility knife with a hook blade. It's easy to slip with a straight blade, and you can cut yourself.