Re-gripping for Idiots: What do I need?

ChunkAndRun2 ·  
ChunkAndRun2ChunkAndRun2  33WRX Points: 14Handicap: 8Members Posts: 33 Bunkers

Hey All,

Im sure this is on here somewhere, but I couldnt find it so figured I would start a new thread. I have always been too lazy to regrip on my own and just dropped them at the shop, but figured I should grow up and start doing it on my own and saving time/cash. My question really is what setup do you all use? What is necessary, and what is superfluous? I dont need all the bells and whistles, just want to be able to get things done quickly and relatively cleanly. Any recommendations are appreciated.
Thanks for the help, and sorry for the super basic question.

Posted:
Driver - Titleist 913 D2
3 Wood - Titleist 915
Driving Iron - Mizuno MP 18 MCC
4-PW - Titleist 710 CB
Wedges - 50* 55* 60* Vokey SM7
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0

Comments

• grickygricky  74WRX Points: 30Handicap: 9Members Posts: 74 Bunkers

vise, rubber shaft clamp for vise, odorless mineral spirits, build-up tape (if you like that sort of thing), grip tape, pan to catch the mineral spirits, and a little elbow grease. it's easy.

Posted:

Titleist TS2 9.5 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX (tipped 0.5'')
    Nike Vapor Fly 15 3W w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 75g
    Taylormade GAPR Lo 18­° (bonded tour issue) w/ Tensei CK Pro White 100 TX (tipped 0.5'')
    JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 4 (20°) iron w/ TT DG TI X100
    JPX 919 Tour 4-PW w/ TT DG TI
    MD4 Raw 50.10 S w/ TT DG TI X100 Onyx
    Vokey SM7 Raw 54.10 S w/ TT DG TI X100 Onyx
    Vokey SM7 Raw 60.08 M w/ TT DG TI X100 Onyx
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3 34''

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • DFinchDFinch  1465WRX Points: 255Handicap: 6.5Members Posts: 1,465 Platinum Tees

All you really need is a utility knife to strip the old grips, grip tape, solvent (or water for water activated tape), tape, and new grips.
    If you make sure you get the tape and inside of grip wet enough, it is easy to wedge the head of the club into a corner, line up the grip, and slide it on in one firm, straight motion. No vice necessary.
    I did my last set for the first time with water activated tape and got the first attempt stuck halfway down. Luckily I had several extra grips. A touch of dish soap made it much easier.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.75* Evenflow White / Cobra F6 3W 14.5* / Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5* / Maltby TS2 DG105 X100 / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Evnroll ER8 Gravity Grip / Snell MTB X
  • Adam CAdam C  673WRX Points: 368Handicap: 4Members Posts: 673 Golden Tee

Here is a link that covers all the basic stuff you need and how to do it.

Posted:
  • BiggErnBiggErn  2728WRX Points: 614Members Posts: 2,728 Titanium Tees

I’ll add two utility knives, one with a regular blade and one with a hook blade come in handy. A condiment or spray bottle for the solvent. Grip tape and scissors. A tape measure and sharpie to mark the shaft for grip tape placement. A vise is good to have with a rubber shaft clamp but if I’m doing just one club I’ll do it without and have no issues. The catch pan is optional depending on where you will doing the work. The most irritating part of changing grips is removing old tape.

Posted:
  • CircleC29CircleC29  831WRX Points: 228Members Posts: 831 Golden Tee

If you get mineral spirits be sure to get the clear jug, not the white mineral spirits.

Posted:
    Contents of bag subject to change.
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG  2377WRX Points: 663Members Posts: 2,377 Platinum Tees

Hook blade utility knife
    Double sided tape
    Lighter fluid

I do mine outside so I don’t worry to much about the fluid.

Don’t need much.

Posted:
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

Advertisement

On -, @CircleC29 said:

If you get mineral spirits be sure to get the clear jug, not the white mineral spirits.

They both work fine. The non odorless mineral spirits will be paint thinner.

Posted:
  • CircleC29CircleC29  831WRX Points: 228Members Posts: 831 Golden Tee

On -, @BiggErn said:

On -, @CircleC29 said:

They both work fine. The non odorless mineral spirits will be paint thinner.

There is also white odorless mineral spirits that doesn't work as well. Takes a lot longer to dry.

Posted:
    Contents of bag subject to change.
  • mogc60mogc60  1016WRX Points: 481Members Posts: 1,016 Platinum Tees

Knife, double sided tape, grip, lighter fluid and a towel to wipe grip after install. I also just do mine outside. Remove grip and old tape, add new tape, pour a little in the grip(make sure you have a finger on the hole in the back) swish a little, pour over tape, slide on grip and wipe with a towel. Align. Done.

Posted:

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 9 EV BLACK 75 6.5 44 1/4”
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15 MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5”
    WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S
    SRIXON Z FORGED 3-PW CATALYST 100 6.5
    CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 58* MODUS 120X
    SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38”
    SNELL MTB-X

• Mikey5eMikey5e mich 1198WRX Points: 242Handicap: 15Members Posts: 1,198 Platinum Tees

On -, @gricky said:

vise, rubber shaft clamp for vise, odorless mineral spirits, build-up tape (if you like that sort of thing), grip tape, pan to catch the mineral spirits, and a little elbow grease. it's easy.

Pretty much what is mentioned above, with the emphasis on how easy it really is. In fact, I'll go a step further and say that building my own Iron set was pretty simple too.

Posted:
  • DBurnsDBurns  42WRX Points: 36Members Posts: 42 Bunkers

I have evolved from doing it freehand bracing the club head in a corner or between my feet to now using a vice and shaft clamp and I wouldn't consider doing it without a vice mounted on a sturdy bench.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Howard_JonesHoward_Jones  10247WRX Points: 1,406Members Posts: 10,247 Titanium Tees

On -, @BiggErn said:

I’ll add two utility knives, one with a regular blade and one with a hook blade come in handy. A condiment or spray bottle for the solvent. Grip tape and scissors. A tape measure and sharpie to mark the shaft for grip tape placement. A vise is good to have with a rubber shaft clamp but if I’m doing just one club I’ll do it without and have no issues. The catch pan is optional depending on where you will doing the work. **The most irritating part of changing grips is removing old tape. **

Use electric hairdryer (2.hand store) and heat up the tape a little and its easy to peel it off.
    Mitchel had a fantastic tape scraper tool, who should be combined with a "cone" on the bench to fix the butt end of the shaft.
    Those 2 and some heat...old grip tape is gone at no time at all.

ADD a Caliper to the tool list.
    You should measure the actual shaft butt, both at the end, and 10 inch down, and adjust with BU tape to get the same grip size on all clubs.
    If starting diameter is different, grip size or shape become different, since we on stepped steel shafts might be over a few steps on the lower end of the grip, and that butt diameter might vary.

Posted:

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PMs ON CLUB TECH ISSUES - ASK PUBLIC IN THE FORUM

• ninjabninjab  132WRX Points: 64Members Posts: 132 Fairways

If you already have an air compressor, I would recommend blowing on grips. Just need the air compressor, masking tape or I like blue painters tape, and the utility knife. No solvent to deal with, no special tape, it makes changing grips a breeze.

Posted:
  • double_ddouble_d  371WRX Points: 120Members Posts: 371 Greens

1) Razor knife for stripping
    2) Grip tape
    3) Grip solvent or mineral spirits
    4) Grips
    You do not need a vice. I have been re-gripping myself for years and I have never used one.

Posted:
  • farmerfarmer  8421WRX Points: 887Members Posts: 8,421 Titanium Tees

I like the air method, but it requires more stuff. If you don't have a vise, I recommend you use a utility knife with a hook blade. It's easy to slip with a straight blade, and you can cut yourself.

Posted:
  • Mikey5eMikey5e mich 1198WRX Points: 242Handicap: 15Members Posts: 1,198 Platinum Tees

On -, @farmer said:

I like the air method, but it requires more stuff. If you don't have a vise, I recommend you use a utility knife with a hook blade. It's easy to slip with a straight blade, and you can cut yourself.

NOTE:
    Please keep your hands out of the way of the blade or you will end up with stitches!

Posted:

Advertisement

I just regripped last week and as usual the biggest pain is removing the old tape. It’s worse removing it from clubs with factory installed grips because the tape they use is very thin and adheres to the shaft. Anyway I use regular mineral spirits (paint thinner) and find myself using much less than when I first started a few years ago. Went with the stock M5 grip on most all my clubs. The others ndmc just a different color or variant.

Posted:
  • BB28403BB28403  4270WRX Points: 745Handicap: This post may not be here soon as moderators may delete it to free up space. Be concerned... you may be next...Members Posts: 4,270 Titanium Tees

A knife and spit

Posted:
  • platgofplatgof platgof  1914WRX Points: 259Handicap: 17ClubWRX Posts: 1,914 ClubWRX

Use a hook blade to remove the grip, easiest way, and heating the old tape works well. Use a box cutter to scrape off old tape. I also use charcoal lighter fluid(naphta.)

Posted:

Ping GMax 10.5
    Cobra F9 5 & 7 Wd
    Callaway OS 5 ,6 Hybrid
    Cobra F9 6-Pw Irons
    Ping Glide 50,54, & 58 Wedges
    TM Pro Spyder Mid Putter
    ERC
    Garmin S20

If it’s grips I install it’s easy to heat up the tape and peel it. If they’re factory installed I have to peel it with a utility knife like a carrot.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.