Is Patrick Reed still working with Leadbetter?

oldpalchampoldpalchamp Members Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

After Patrick Reed's impressive victory in NY last week, was wondering if he is still working with David Leadbetter? Coming down the stretch on Sunday, he hit some very impressive shots, and was fading the ball off the tee. Looked very solid.

Comments

• OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@oldpalchamp said:
    After Patrick Reed's impressive victory in NY last week, was wondering if he is still working with David Leadbetter? Coming down the stretch on Sunday, he hit some very impressive shots, and was fading the ball off the tee. Looked very solid.

He executed the fade shot (with the helicopter finish) under pressure to win at Augusta and that was long before Leadbetter. Not saying that the recent work hasn't made a difference but the fade shot isn't new.

Also curious about the coaching situation regardless.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • Redjeep83Redjeep83 Members Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

according to golf channel he went back to his old instructor, not sure who that is, and stopped playing "golf swing"

• oldpalchampoldpalchamp Members Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@OldTomMorris said:

@oldpalchamp said:

He executed the fade shot (with the helicopter finish) under pressure to win at Augusta and that was long before Leadbetter. Not saying that the recent work hasn't made a difference but the fade shot isn't new.

Also curious about the coaching situation regardless.

I am aware of that. What I did notice on his faded tee shots was the absence of the helicopter finish. Anyway, like you, was curious about his coaching situation.

• BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 14, 2019 2:56pm #5

I believe he stated going back to his old coach a few months ago. In a post round interview he talked about taking a 3 week break “re-set”.

His time with leadbetter was pretty short.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • c7015c7015 Members Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

there were a few helicopter finishes with the driver, even Faldo was saying get ready for the helicopter finish
    noticed it less with his irons & agree I was surprised to see him hit such nice fades under the pressure. I really wanted to see HV3 get it as he has had a solid year and melted a bit under the heat. Feel his win is really close.

TS3 Smoke 70g (S Flex)
    913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
    915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
    712U 4 Iron
    715CB 5-6
    718MB 7-PW 
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 
    SC Newport 2.5
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@c7015 said:
    there were a few helicopter finishes with the driver, even Faldo was saying get ready for the helicopter finish
    noticed it less with his irons & agree I was surprised to see him hit such nice fades under the pressure. I really wanted to see HV3 get it as he has had a solid year and melted a bit under the heat. Feel his win is really close.

HV3 shouldn't be discouraged though as his tee to green game held up good towards the end but he missed two very makable putts.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • c7015c7015 Members Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@OldTomMorris said:

@c7015 said:

HV3 shouldn't be discouraged though as his tee to green game held up good towards the end but he missed two very makable putts.

Yes I think he finished much stronger than in past, would not be surprised to see him win this week or the TC (just assuming he makes it not sure where he is at)

TS3 Smoke 70g (S Flex)
    913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
    915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
    712U 4 Iron
    715CB 5-6
    718MB 7-PW 
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 
    SC Newport 2.5
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If he is no longer with Lead, did he get the approval of Mrs Reid first before breaking it off?

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • chigolfer1chigolfer1 Members Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

When they showed him on the range, looked like a relatively young dude decked out in black Nike gear was watching him and making some comments.

• MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Corporate Golfer Extraordinaire MSN/MKE/DSMMembers Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MattyO1984 said:
    If he is no longer with Lead, did he get the approval of Mrs Reid first before breaking it off?

He doesn't make those kinds of decisions. It was her choice for him to go see Lead, it was her choice to stop seeing him, as well.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM7, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.
  • pga43pga43 GolfWRX.com's Tour Photographer Nashville,_ TNMarshals Posts: 9,307 mod

He only had Leadbetter help him maybe twice but he's been working with Kevin Kirk(who just won the PGA of America's Teacher of the year award) since before his win at the Barclay's (at Bethpage) and still occassionally works with his former college coach, Josh Gregory.

Greg

GolfWRX.com
    twitter @gdm43pga

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file