M5 driver guys...talk about it

13»

Comments

• caeye0710caeye0710 Members  140WRX Points: 71Handicap: .5Posts: 140 Fairways

M5 9*

Tour AD GP 7x

Kept the loft setting at stock

Low Spin/Fade weight setting

Swing speed around 113-116

Posted:
    M5 Tour Issuse 10.5* - Tour AD DI 7x
    Cally Mavrik 15* - Rogue White 130 70x 
    TM SIM Max 19* - Proforce V2 85x
    Miura MB-101 4-PW - Tour Issue S400
    TM MG2 Chrome 50, 54, 60
    TM Spider Black 34"
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • itsurboynelshyitsurboynelshy Str8 Cash Homie Sterling Heights, MIMembers  157WRX Points: 73Handicap: 'bout tree fiddyPosts: 157 Fairways

M5 9* set to lowest loft

PX Evenflow White 6.0

Both weights set forward

SS 105-110mph

Posted:
    Driver-TM SIM 9* 
    3 wood-TM SIM Max 15* 
    5 wood-TM SIM Max 18*
    3H- TM M6
    5H-TM GAPR Mid 
    6-PW Ping i500 
    AW-Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*
    SW-Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54*
    LW-Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 60*
    Putter-Evnroll EV2
    Shoes-Jordan 1, 3, V, VI, IX, XI, XII, 13, Par 23, ST Trainer, ADG, and Runner
    Ball-Bridgestone B X/Prov1x Yellow
  • PR3CI5NPR3CI5N Members  105WRX Points: 40Handicap: 5.1Posts: 105 Fairways

M5 10.5

Down 1 degree

Weighs: 1 forward, 1 back

Project X Even Flow White 6.5 75 gram

SS 115

I just picked up this club, haven't hit it yet. I've been playing an SLDR for the past 5 years.

Posted:
  • GOLF4373GOLF4373 Members  350WRX Points: 57Posts: 350 Greens

I’ve got 9* one click “lower”,

70 tx orange tipped 1”,

one weight “draw” one all the way forward

swing speed 120+

Hitting it like garbage last couple months and getting close to moving on.

Posted:
  • manima1manima1 ChicagoMembers  805WRX Points: 156Handicap: 9.8Posts: 805 Golden Tee

Move the front weight all the way back and loft down more to keep spin in check.

Club is dramatically more forgiving with this setup and you'll get a ballspeed jump as well.

Posted:
    M5 9.0->7.5 - Kuro Kage Dual Core 80tx 
    '16 M2HL 16.8 tour issued deep faced - Fujikura 8.3 TS
    zU45 18 degree - S400
    z745 4-PW - S400
    SM6 50.08F Steel Gray
    SM7 54.10S Raw
    SM7 60.12D Tour Chrome
    TM Spider X - Navy
  • TrueWRXTrueWRX Members  2036WRX Points: 368Posts: 2,036 Platinum Tees

I actually did this with my M3. Had the weights forward it was terrible. Lofted down and put the weights back and turned out to be a great driver

Posted:

Advertisement
  • manima1manima1 ChicagoMembers  805WRX Points: 156Handicap: 9.8Posts: 805 Golden Tee

In my opinion, it's always better to use loft to keep spin in check and maximize MOI. If you can achieve your ideal spin numbers without sacrificing forgiveness, why not?

I'd only want to move the weights forward if spin was an issue at the lowest loft available personally.

Posted:
    zU45 18 degree - S400
    z745 4-PW - S400
    SM6 50.08F Steel Gray
    SM7 54.10S Raw
    SM7 60.12D Tour Chrome
    TM Spider X - Navy
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members  7372WRX Points: 422Handicap: 5Posts: 7,372 Titanium Tees

Slight bump..... I'm the old, slow guy in this thread.....90-ish speed....I've gone through pretty much ever TM head for the past 20yrs non-tour.....I've enjoyed the adjustable drivers and the M3/M5 have been really solid for me.....moving cg back in the club head from M1/sldr and R15 helps my game....I'm in a 9* head lofted up as the 10.5* looks like a 14* driver to my eye....more to follow

Posted:
  • OspreyCIOspreyCI Valley of the SunMembers  5448WRX Points: 477Handicap: 10Posts: 5,448 Titanium Tees

M5 9*

GD AD DI 5s tipped 3/4”

HotMelted to 201 grams

STD setting with weights high High Draw.

Boom! Love it! Working better than my previous PXG 0811x Tensei PW. Yes, quite a difference in setup.

Posted:
    PXG 0811x Gen2 10.5 AD VR 6S
    TM M4 15* AD DI 6S Black
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    PXG 0211 4-PW Modus 120S
    TM MG2 50* Modus 120S
    TM MG2 54*
    TM HT Bigfoot 60*
    PXG Gen2 Gunboat
  • nicky pnicky p Members  56WRX Points: 67Posts: 56 Bunkers

M5 12 degree

Weighs back Mac draw and middle of the track on the front

AD DI6s (out of my Green M2)

SS107-111

bought recently and replaced my 12 degree M2, very similar clubs IMHO but the M5 is a little better.

Posted:
  • jerryojerryo Members  1242WRX Points: 94Posts: 1,242 Platinum Tees

Wow, those are light heads. How much hot melt did you have to add to get to 201 grams? Maybe the 201 does not include the weights? I am thinking of getting one but play my driver at 44.25. May have to rethink this.

Posted:

Advertisement
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members  7372WRX Points: 422Handicap: 5Posts: 7,372 Titanium Tees

I think the recent models have been around 196-198g head weights

Posted:

Okay......I've tried light and loose shafts and mid weight tighter shafts.....the 5th shaft I tried, absolutely had no hope for it to work....hzdrus red 5.5 handcrafted 62g 3.2* torque.....research says the red is just a soft tipped black....I was hitting multiple drives each hole ......straight and consistent......long enough to where I'm not looking anymore!

Inverted T track works better for my swing and I enjoy the feel

M5 ......you complete me😍😍😍

Posted:
  • 11631163 Members  332WRX Points: 87Posts: 332 Greens

My M5/Hzrdus Smoke combo beat out all the new 2020 drivers

Posted:

Anyone research how much carbon is in M5 than M3?

Posted:

found it.....10% more carbon fiber but 66% larger sweetspot.....supposedly

Posted:

Advertisement

Struggled on a new course , playing for money and first real round with M5.....mostly guided swings....went to the range today......and this is why I play adjustable heads.

M5 9* was lofted up to 10.5 and wgts split in the back....noticed a stalling flight during said round.....

Well after a bit of back and forth, found setup that left one wgt in draw position with other wgt mid track and lofted down one click to 9.75* .....confidence grew with each swing and I can't wait until this Wednesday to challenge this beast again!

Stay tuned.....

Posted:
  • HappyGilmore22HappyGilmore22 Members  710WRX Points: 217Handicap: 3Posts: 710 Golden Tee

M5 9 deg cranked down to around 8 deg

Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo I Tour Spec TX (originally came in Tensei PO and that shaft was horrible with counter balance for me)

120 mph

Weight all the way forward and one about 2 cm's behind that

Of note this driver wasn't as good as my older M1 with the same shaft. Just never got it dialed in with the right shaft but still very consistent and long.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70 TX
    Titleist TS3 14.25 deg - Project X Even Flow T1100 White 85 6.5
    Titleist 816 H2 19 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 90 X
    Titleist T200 4-5, T100 6-PW - Project X 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM8 50.12 F, 54.14F, SM7 58.12 D - PX 6.5
    Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2
  • jungwjd7jungwjd7 seattle, WAMembers  61WRX Points: 21Posts: 61 Bunkers

What loft? 10.5

What shaft? Tensei pro white 60s

What's your swingspeed? 105

What setting? Both in the middle

i found sim sit square at the address. Will say buy to my current gamer

Posted:

Taylormade SIM MAX 10.5 Graphite Design Tour AD VR 6S
    Taylormade SIM MAX D 3W 16 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 7S
    Taylormade SIM MAX 3H 19 Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85S
    Taylormade 4-P P790 17’ Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 120S
    Callway Mack Daddy 4 48(10), 52(10), 56(10)
    Titlist SM7 60(12)
    Toulon Las Vegas

• TigerInTheWoodsTigerInTheWoods Members  2571WRX Points: 1,631Handicap: 5Posts: 2,571 Titanium Tees

Just picked up a 9.5 M5 with Hzrdus Yellow 63g 6.5 X stiff on trade. Courses are closed so can't really get it outside. Gamer is an 8.5 TS3 with Hzrdus black playing 44.5. This M5 is an inch longer but given the counterbalanced shaft is much easier to swing quickly and in balance.

My miss is a block and if it's really bad a block fade. Old hip injury from extreme sports means I sometimes have trouble clearing my left side. I'm going to set it upright one click lower on loft with one weight in draw and the other at the back of the track. Is that generally how guys are running them? I've heard they're slow on ball speed but some swinging in my garage with voice caddy had it keeping pace with my TS3 and I was not swinging well. Quite interested to see if this could make the bag or perhaps lead to me buying a Sim.

Posted:

Driver is fade biased so definitely good to have the weight in draw with the other weight back.

I found a lot of success with the M5 with the weights in the most forgiving position and lofted down quite a bit. This driver seems to launch very high to loft for me, lofting it down really made it come alive.

It's been the most consistent driver I've ever gamed. Might take some time to get it dialed in, but the adjust-ability of this club can make it fit just about anyone.

Posted:
    zU45 18 degree - S400
    z745 4-PW - S400
    SM6 50.08F Steel Gray
    SM7 54.10S Raw
    SM7 60.12D Tour Chrome
    TM Spider X - Navy

Advertisement
  • sizzquatchsizzquatch Validating - Unconfirmed, Unregistered  3WRX Points: 0Posts: 3 Starters

Here is my, a high handicappers experience,

Ive had great success with a GBB 9° lofted up to 11° and the weight between neutral and draw.. (Speeder 665 in stiff, ss avg was 108 last I was able to check) For some reason that combo resulted in nice long draws or straight rockets. Launched high but it got the job done. It helped get me into the 80's in scoring (82 is my all time best, normal is like 88-93)..I had my first 300+ yard drive, but those hits are an exception. Misses were hooks and pushes with the GBB. I have a spare rogue shaft in x flex which results in slightly less distance(approx 15 yards.less) but the ball dispersion is a bit tighter. I Just like the Speeder feel better so I use it.

I tried this with an M5 and it was like teeing off with a wedge. I think the ball went as high as it did far. But the miss was a MONSTER push/slice. Hit the GBB next...draw.. I haven't carved a ball like that in a few years, thanks for the reminder M5..hah ..strike location was just a bit higher and towards the toe but nothing I would find offensive.. Even on the few useable shots, I still found them short. And by useable I mean I could probably find the ball...

The M5 had a hzrdus smoke 70g which may have been part of my problem..

My biggest issue is that I found this driver to be VERY light. I have no real idea what the head is doing or where it is like the GBB. I like that I could feel the GBB coming through the zone, I could feel it at the end of the shaft as I swing. The M5, in over exaggerated terms, feels like I'm taking a practice swing with no club and then making contact with a board. Again, maybe a shaft problem..maybe it's just to stiff in the wrong places and not allowing my to feel anything.

The sound and feel were.....different.. I've hit alot of clubs and this was as odd as the ping g30, but on the opposite end of the spectrum. It was a solid muted crack. And I felt it in my hands moreso than with anything else.

Im not sure the M5 is a match for someone like me, and I'm not sure I can imagine a combo that would work. I had just hoped the adjustability would have helped like it seemed to have with the GBB.

To answer the obvious questions

1) I should get fit... I'd love too, but am 6hrs away from the nearest place that can do it. Our nearest golftown closed down 2 years ago and sports stores (sportcheck) shut their monitors down around the same time.

2) why change if the GBB worked... well I'd just like to get the most out of my drives. And The GBB is starting to get a little beat as I bought it second hand 3 years ago.

Long read but just wanted to share in case someone in my shoes was looking at grabbing one now that they are flooding the market.

Sidenote- I only hit the M5 a handful of times before noticing there was a impression/dent on the crown and a really bad seam/epoxy job on the toe. So I ended up sending it to TM warranty Dept (here in Canada). I'm not sure what they will do because the guy wasn't too pleasant on the phone and tried to convince me it was normal. Either way I filled out a form and sent it back. The person who emailed was really great to deal with

Posted:
  • pdwpdw CanadaMembers  133WRX Points: 42Handicap: 20Posts: 133 Fairways

^That's my comment up there... Mods recovered my.old account for me.

Posted:
    Callaway XR
    Callaway XR 3 wood
    Nike Sumo 2 hybrids (2+3)
    Callaway X20 ng irons
    TA putter

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.