Solo Bandon Trip?

The PearlThe Pearl Members Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
None of my golfing buddies are in a financial position to make the journey. I am toying with simply going as a single. I have no problems pairing up with anybody, in fact I have always enjoyed it.

Has anybody done this or those veterans of Bandon have any feedback as to the pros and cons?

Pearl

Comments

• CgmorriCgmorri Golfmorr Members Posts: 150 ✭✭
    I have been to Bandon several times, never as a single. As you stated, you enjoy playing with unfamiliar people so I don't see any issues. You might get lucky and get paired with people that have played the courses before, which is always helpful, a caddie helps your first time also. Personally, Bandon solo, is better than no Bandon at all. What time of year are you thinking of heading there?
  • The PearlThe Pearl Members Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Cgmorri wrote:

I have been to Bandon several times, never as a single. As you stated, you enjoy playing with unfamiliar people so I don't see any issues. You might get lucky and get paired with people that have played the courses before, which is always helpful, a caddie helps your first time also. Personally, Bandon solo, is better than no Bandon at all. What time of year are you thinking of heading there?

End of July, first part of August if I can get secure a spot.

My options at this point are go as a single or not at all. I have traveled with my spouse who is a non-golfer and have played many rounds just showing up as a single. It has always been a rewarding experience. I have no doubt there would be no more receptive place than Bandon to this approach.
  • DeNinnyDeNinny Major Wiener Members Posts: 7,974 ✭✭
    I go there with my wife but she will only play about 1 or 2 rounds, so oftentimes I'm paired with other people I don't know. I've never had a bad experience and a few times I met other solo players. You may have to put up with differing skill levels but most everyone there is there to have a good time and spread good karma. During my last trip I was paired with two scratch golfers that, to put it mildly, liked to party. They were eager to share their indulgences with me and it was a greeeeaaaaat time. I shot my worst round of the trip that day, but I had fun doing it. You never know who you will meet and you may make a friend along the way. Also given that it is walking only you end up walking alone most of the time on the way to your ball.
    TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
    TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
    Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
    Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
    GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
    34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
    Outlaw Golf Association Member #7
  • act0fgodact0fgod Members Posts: 164 ✭✭
    I made a trip to bandon and played on my own while my wife stayed in the lodge and read. Of the 6 rounds I played in 2 days 4 of 6 were played as a single. Only one of the rounds was a bit of a drag. My first round was at Pacific Dunes. I was the third group out as a single and followed two groups of 4 and had a group of 4 behind me...less than ideal if you can imagine.

I stayed at the resort and booked like 5 months in advance. If you were walking up as a single I figure they would pair you up. I'm thinking about going up in march as a single and staying in town with tee times made less than 30 days out.
  • The PearlThe Pearl Members Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    act0fgod wrote:

I made a trip to bandon and played on my own while my wife stayed in the lodge and read. Of the 6 rounds I played in 2 days 4 of 6 were played as a single. Only one of the rounds was a bit of a drag. My first round was at Pacific Dunes. I was the third group out as a single and followed two groups of 4 and had a group of 4 behind me...less than ideal if you can imagine.

I stayed at the resort and booked like 5 months in advance. If you were walking up as a single I figure they would pair you up. I'm thinking about going up in march as a single and staying in town with tee times made less than 30 days out.

When did you make your trip? I would imagine there would be less of a chance of playing as a solo in the July/August time frame, but maybe that is a false assumption.
  • act0fgodact0fgod Members Posts: 164 ✭✭
    The Pearl wrote:

act0fgod wrote:

When did you make your trip? I would imagine there would be less of a chance of playing as a solo in the July/August time frame, but maybe that is a false assumption.

End of June.
  • mallratmallrat Members Posts: 2,913 ✭✭
    I've gone 2x as a single and love it. Been paired up with some great groups and some duds. Took a caddy and had Bandon Trails to the caddy and myself, no one in front of me for an hour and the group behind was a 4 some that imdidn't see after the 3rd hole.

I love going by myself. Wife goes with me every other year.
  • BigHunkBigHunk Members Posts: 335
    I am going by myself July 8-9-10,I have no idea if I will get paired up or not,either way is fine.I will have a caddy for all 4 rounds & I am so excited I can hardly sleep.
    TM R1 Tp
    Miura CB501's W/recoil proto's
    Miura 52,56,60
    Machine Damascus Steel
  • spud3spud3 Portland, ORMembers Posts: 1,605 ✭✭
    Just went as a single (my first trip to Bandon), and I can confidently say that you should absolutely go! I went in April (see trip report in this forum) and had a blast. Played most of my rounds solo (4 out of 6), but could have gotten paired up if I really wanted. The guys I was paired up with were like me and so stoked just to be there that there was nothing but great energy all around.

I was in the same situation as you - none of my regular buddies could afford to the $ and/or time to make the trip, and I just got tired of waiting for everyone else to get their sh*t together, so I went on my own. SO glad I did.

Might go a little earlier next time (late Feb/early March), as it's a good bit cheaper and the weather isn't that much worse. Probably won't be able to swing an annual trip, but every two or three years, for sure.
    "take that, you miserable little white swine!"
  • bird206bird206 Members Posts: 138 ✭✭

I've read articles about playing Punchbowl with your buddies with some beers. Does playing Punchbowl just by yourself make it akward? Anybody play it just by themselves?

• OregonHackOregonHack NW Golf Members Posts: 39 ✭✭

I wouldn't say "awkward." I think with buddies is obviously more fun. Punchbowl is great for a wager or two, which is difficult to do solo.
    I'd imagine if you're comfortable with it, you could find a guy or group to join. I know my group would welcome a solo player. It is a very laid back part of the resort.

• duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,015 ✭✭
    edited Apr 15, 2019 4:19pm #13

^Really depends when you go out - heck even being a twosome can be 'awkward' pacing wise, if there are a bunch of 4-8 person groups around you.
    Popping out right after the rain or early morning would be best. Not to sound too snobby, but the Punchbowl can get a bit on the I-don't-know-how-to-say-it-without-getting-filtered side of things when you get bigger groups liquored up just smashing the ball all over the place, as it's obviously a good money spinner for their F&B operations, but it's nothing like Himalayas in St. Andrews.

@duffer987 said:
    ^Really depends when you go out - heck even being a twosome can be 'awkward' pacing wise, if there are a bunch of 4-8 person groups around you.
    Popping out right after the rain or early morning would be best. Not to sound too snobby, but the Punchbowl can get a bit on the I-don't-know-how-to-say-it-without-getting-filtered side of things when you get bigger groups liquored up just smashing the ball all over the place, as it's obviously a good money spinner for their F&B operations, but it's nothing like Himalayas in St. Andrews.

The Preserve can get like that as well. Mostly in the evenings. I get the premise, but both can get a lot like a frat party at times.

• serprivserpriv Members Posts: 82 ✭✭

Reaching out to this community and playing with someone will be so much more satisfying. I played bandon and honestly didn't know the importance of this course before the round. I knew it was going to be nice but I didn't know of its cult status. It was an absolute experience, up there with tripping on mushrooms! The insane winds made it nearly unplayable but we kept pushing and made it through as a group. My face was so burned from the wind and sun it peeled 2 days later!

• Edaw68Edaw68 Members Posts: 1,478 ✭✭

@spud3 said:

@duffer987 said:

The Preserve can get like that as well. Mostly in the evenings. I get the premise, but both can get a lot like a frat party at times.

I'm not saying I want to strap a keg to a ricksha. But I want to strap an IPA keg to a ricksha and hit the Preserve with about 2 16somes.

• buzlinbuzlin Members Posts: 971 ✭✭
    edited Apr 18, 2019 4:37pm #17

I'm totally okay (guilty) with players getting a bit trashed at The Preserve and Punchbowl. That's part of what makes Bandon so appealing, the freedom to get a little crazy. The energy is very positive and good natured. At least that's what I've seen. As long as players are respecting the game on the main courses I'm okay with some insanity elsewhere. BTW- not saying anyone here has a problem with players getting loose.

G400 LST, Tour 75 stiff
    915F 15, Rogue Black stiff
    913H, 19, 21, Tour Green stiff
    Miura CB57 4/5-pw KBS Tour stiff (or Tourstage 909 4/5-pw)
    Vokey, SM6, 50F, 54S, 58M
    Never Compromise Portofino
  • bird206bird206 Members Posts: 138 ✭✭

I'm arriving to Bandon on Monday for my first time. Right now I'm surprisingly only level 7 out of 10 on an excited level. I thought I would be at 9.5 right now. Maybe when it gets to Sunday evening I'll be at that level. I probably was more excited right after I booked the trip back in August. Anyways, enough with the Emo stuff. Here's the plan (going solo).

Monday arrive via Eugene Airport:
    Check in around Noon
    Practice Center
    Shortys
    Reserve
    Punchbowl

Tues:
    Bandon – AM
    Pacific – PM

Wed:
    Old Mac -AM
    Trails – PM

Thurs:
    Pacific – AM
    Bandon – PM

Fri:
    Trails -AM
    Depart

Thanks everyone on these boards for the tips and stories. I'm looking forward to live Bandon and report back.

• KernelKernel Members Posts: 63 ✭✭

@bird206 said:
    Right now I'm surprisingly only level 7 out of 10 on an excited level. I thought I would be at 9.5 right now. Maybe when it gets to Sunday evening I'll be at that level. I probably was more excited right after I booked the trip back in August.

Does not compute. I am essentially non-functioning other than the most basic tasks necessary for survival and checking the course cameras.

We will be arriving just as you leave. Have a great time . . . the weather is looking pretty good for you.

• philsRHmanphilsRHman Members Posts: 1,277 ✭✭

@Kernel said:

@bird206 said:
    Right now I'm surprisingly only level 7 out of 10 on an excited level. I thought I would be at 9.5 right now. Maybe when it gets to Sunday evening I'll be at that level. I probably was more excited right after I booked the trip back in August.

Does not compute. I am essentially non-functioning other than the most basic tasks necessary for survival and checking the course cameras.

We will be arriving just as you leave. Have a great time . . . the weather is looking pretty good for you.

I had the same roller coaster as Bird. The 3-4 days before, I actually mellowed, probably as a result of being super amped 7-10 days out. Started coming back to earth and doubting if it could possibly live up to expectations. But by the morning I got on my flight I was off the charts again. Enjoy, everyone.

• philsRHmanphilsRHman Members Posts: 1,277 ✭✭

@duffer987 said:

I was there the same time as a college tournament and the day they all descended on the PB I had no interest. It was just too much testosterone or something lol. As a single I actually really just had fun going around one afternoon during a lull. It was me, a young boy and his dad and 2-3 other people. Bar was just opening and I was tempted but had my flask and they didn’t seem to mind. I can totally see it being a rip roaring time with a group. As a single I’d say by the end of a round with strangers I would have been comfortable if we all went together had the timing worked out. But trying to join a group on the fly, not my personality at all.

• LooperConLooperCon Caddie at Bandon Dunes Loveland, ColoradoMembers Posts: 213 ✭✭

@bird206 said:
    I'm arriving to Bandon on Monday for my first time. Right now I'm surprisingly only level 7 out of 10 on an excited level. I thought I would be at 9.5 right now. Maybe when it gets to Sunday evening I'll be at that level. I probably was more excited right after I booked the trip back in August. Anyways, enough with the Emo stuff. Here's the plan (going solo).

Monday arrive via Eugene Airport:
    Check in around Noon
    Practice Center
    Shortys
    Reserve
    Punchbowl

Tues:
    Bandon – AM
    Pacific – PM

Wed:
    Old Mac -AM
    Trails – PM

Thurs:
    Pacific – AM
    Bandon – PM

Fri:
    Trails -AM
    Depart

Thanks everyone on these boards for the tips and stories. I'm looking forward to live Bandon and report back.

Have an awesome time! I’m a caddie out here, so if you have any last minute questions, hit me up :)

Looking forward to your report and seeing which one is your favorite!

• CenCalGolferCenCalGolfer Members Posts: 113 ✭✭

I am starting to think that I might be in the same boat. I am trying my hardest to get a couple of my buddies to make this trip with me. I live in Central California. I send a couple of them videos, and pictures and tell them that we need to plan it. But I get a couple different responses. One wants to drop money to play Pebble, Spyglass and Spanish Bay and the other one doesn't really like to drive far for golf, had a sweet set up for Poppy Hills a few years back, and told him to meet me and I'd drive, and he said he would rather pass, and lay grass. SMH!
    Anyways, I've been buttering up my wife, and showing her videos and pictures and explaining her this golf/life altering trip and what this place is and what it means to me. So, she's becoming a fan and loves the idea of the ocean side golf. So we will see where it turns out in the coming year or two!

TaylorMade M5 9* Hzrdus Smoke 70g X-Stiff
    TaylorMade M6 3w Hzrdus Smoke 70g X-Stiff
    Nike Vapor Speed 3 Hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff
    TaylorMade P760 KBS C-Taper 4-AW X-Stiff +1/2"
    TaylorMade Milled Grind Chrome 56*
    TaylorMade Milled Grind Chrome 60*
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35"
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,015 ✭✭

They may be your buddies, but they aren't golfers if they don't want to make the dead easy trip from Central Cal to the Oregon Coast.
    And that's fair enough, not everyone needs to be keen about golf, but really just take a Fri-Mon or Mon-Tues off to get 4 days on property with the potential to get in 6-7 rounds and that's a great way to see everything Bandon has to offer.

@duffer987 said:
    They may be your buddies, but they aren't golfers if they don't want to make the dead easy trip from Central Cal to the Oregon Coast.
    And that's fair enough, not everyone needs to be keen about golf, but really just take a Fri-Mon or Mon-Tues off to get 4 days on property with the potential to get in 6-7 rounds and that's a great way to see everything Bandon has to offer.

+1
    Your buddies are not as into it as you are. Cool. I was in the same boat. It isn't rocket science.
    Just go.

• bladestrikerbladestriker No. Cal.Members Posts: 1,177 ✭✭

I’m getting the same response from my buddies. Thinking about going solo this year

‘16 M2 10.5º AD-DI 75X
    M2 tour 3 wood Kuro Kage 70x
    JPX 900 tour 4-PW PX lz 6.5
    Vokey 52º 56º 60º-PX lz 6.0
    Scotty Cameron AoP Newport 2 
    "I still wear full spikes so people know when I show up to the course, I am there to ball out."-Bigmean
  • tbohtboh Need a game ... Im in MarylandMembers Posts: 62 ✭✭

Love trolling Bandon Sand Valley Streamsong threads & am always anxious to read them ... may sound crazy but might be able to get 4 wrxers to commit if you pick some dates ... im considering solo to Wisconsin this summer & have inquired at Bandon but just never can pull trigger to go alone ... prob wouldnt happen but might be worth a shot?

G400 10.5*
    200 Steel 15*
    Rescue #2 16*
    919 Hm 4-5
    919 F 6-P
    T7 Blue 50* 54*
    Er2 Sqback
    Ogio bag
    Ball du jour
    edited May 2, 2019 6:13am #29

All you guys who are beating your head against the wall trying to get your buddies to go:

My story was exactly like yours. I was the only one excited enough and tried for years to get my regular playing partners (some of my best friends, actually) to go and there was always a reason not to. Got fed up and went by myself, even though I was really worried that I would stick out as a loner who couldn't get anyone to to play. I could not have been more wrong. I had the time of my life (and wrote in this forum about it repeatedly). So much so that I continued going by myself for several more years. I've found a great group of players now (through WRX, thanks very much) and love what is becoming a regular visit with those guys.

But I actually enjoy coming solo enough that I do that also every year.

There are quite a few trip reports of folks who have gone solo. Every one of them starts out like "I was really nervous and thought it would be weird" and ends with "I can't believe I was worried about going solo!"

You will be like that, too.

• OregonHackOregonHack NW Golf Members Posts: 39 ✭✭

Solo is great and I have done it. However, if you can get just 1 guy to go, his word will spread faster to the other guys than an std at a music festival. You'll be turning away guys from your trip before you know it. Happened to me (Bandon, not the music festival).

• nolayupnolayup Members Posts: 31 ✭✭

Made my first trip to bandon a few weeks ago, and solo. Being a single gave me so much flexibility in picking and choosing where I wanted to play, what and where I wanted to eat. I got 54 in on two days OM-PD-PD & BT-BD-OM with room to spare. Not to mention those late afternoons when I would throw a few balls down and dick around and chip for 15-20 minutes without a soul in sight. It’s a special place when it’s quiet, just you, the course, and whatever deep thoughts a revered sanctuary as such conjures up.