Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Pizza : what you having on it?

Comments

• glkglk send it in jerome Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & Burgh 3624Members Posts: 3,624
    bscinstnct wrote:

glk wrote:

MtlJeff wrote:

Do they do deepdish anywhere outside Chicago? That's probably a dumb question but a serious one. I've only had it there.....here we basically only have thin-crust type pizzas at the nicer places.

Montreal is very european style in terms of food. There's 3-4 places i got for great pizza but they are all like brick over style thin crust.

I wasn't crazy about deep dish to be honest

Best I every had was in Green Mill in St. Paul, Mn. Back in 1980 so who knows today. Many try but usually miss on the crust/dough. Often too puffy - some call it sicilian - I call it eating a ton of dough - I want pizza not bread with sauce on it. As I said Uno's and Gino's have sold out - those franchise and even the orginials are shells of what they used to be. Frankly, I ate more thin than deep dish or stuffed but now when we go back it is usually deep dish. I can't eat any of the chains. A lot of places now want to do neopolitan which is just an excuse to serve you a pie that feeds one and charge you $25 for plain cheese. Really? Of course, being from the burgh I grew up on Police Station pizza - a unique pizza that is square, ... you have to be there to experience ordering it- how many, topping on each slice, extra unmelted cheese?, 12 in a box, - call Police Station cause that's what it was beside - of course it didn't hurt that we won the state bball championship and got a lot of free slices which may bias my view, lol .

9baa1caf468d7c725380cf05191dab5e.jpg

236a4fc50105c900d31690ffce41f4c9.jpg

photo-1-e1410814641400-960x840.jpg

Thats a decent looking NY sicilian pie, nice.

You'd think but it's not - that is a very crisp crust with just loads of toppings. Any sicilian I ever had was like eating a loaf of bread.

This was always my favorite option - extra cheese unmelted with pepperoni of course.

o.jpg
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank  14781ClubWRX Posts: 14,781

MtlJeff wrote:

Do they do deepdish anywhere outside Chicago? That's probably a dumb question but a serious one. I've only had it there.....here we basically only have thin-crust type pizzas at the nicer places.

Montreal is very european style in terms of food. There's 3-4 places i got for great pizza but they are all like brick over style thin crust.

We've got a Lou Manatis here in PHX now deep dish straight out of Chicago. Place is packed every day. I just don't get deep dish pizza though

That's one of the two places we were told to go in Chicago. It's actually one of the few times I've left pizza uneaten. Just didn't do much for me.
    Posted:
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct  27427Members Posts: 27,427
    glk wrote:

bscinstnct wrote:

glk wrote:

MtlJeff wrote:

Best I every had was in Green Mill in St. Paul, Mn. Back in 1980 so who knows today. Many try but usually miss on the crust/dough. Often too puffy - some call it sicilian - I call it eating a ton of dough - I want pizza not bread with sauce on it. As I said Uno's and Gino's have sold out - those franchise and even the orginials are shells of what they used to be. Frankly, I ate more thin than deep dish or stuffed but now when we go back it is usually deep dish. I can't eat any of the chains. A lot of places now want to do neopolitan which is just an excuse to serve you a pie that feeds one and charge you $25 for plain cheese. Really? Of course, being from the burgh I grew up on Police Station pizza - a unique pizza that is square, ... you have to be there to experience ordering it- how many, topping on each slice, extra unmelted cheese?, 12 in a box, - call Police Station cause that's what it was beside - of course it didn't hurt that we won the state bball championship and got a lot of free slices which may bias my view, lol .

9baa1caf468d7c725380cf05191dab5e.jpg

236a4fc50105c900d31690ffce41f4c9.jpg

photo-1-e1410814641400-960x840.jpg

Thats a decent looking NY sicilian pie, nice.

You'd think but it's not - that is a very crisp crust with just loads of toppings. Any sicilian I ever had was like eating a loaf of bread.

This was always my favorite option - extra cheese unmelted with pepperoni of course.

o.jpg

That's what a good Sicilian pie should be. A nice crisp outer crust that crunches when you bite in, then a thick, tasty 'inner' crust that should be hearty but light and not too chewy. The crust is the best part of a sicilian, that's why the *corner* is the best. Prolly the places that make the doughy ones don't know what they are doing or have a good oven.

Thanks for reminding me of "cold cheese" on the pizza. Havent had it for years but it's great!
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • jli2636jli2636  1070Members Posts: 1,070
    Giordanos is another good choice in Chicago. Their thin crust pizza is really underrated too since the stuffed pizza gets most/all of the attention.

One of my new favorites locally here in MO is this place called Your Pie. They took the Chipotle method where you pick your crust, sauce, cheese, and toppings in line, watch them make it for you then cook it and bring to your table. Pretty good deal too. For about $12 you get a personal brick oven style pizza( I would guess about 8-10" pie), side salad, chips, or a scoop of gelato, and a drink. Unlimited toppings too.

Personal topping favorites: sausage, pepperoni, and bacon.

Posted:
  • slocagolferslocagolfer  509Members Posts: 509
    My mom used to make a pizza with no cheese and no sauce. It had anchovies and onions. I think that's all. She's not around anymore and neither are her sisters so I can't ask anyone. It was really good. She made the regular kinds too. Yes, she was Italian and from Brooklyn. So is my dad, actually. When we go to an Italian restaurant he orders a pizza for hors d'oeuvre, then the dinner. The man can eat. But I digress.
    Posted:

My mom used to make a pizza with no cheese and no sauce. It had anchovies and onions. I think that's all. She's not around anymore and neither are her sisters so I can't ask anyone. It was really good. She made the regular kinds too. Yes, she was Italian and from Brooklyn. So is my dad, actually. When we go to an Italian restaurant he orders a pizza for hors d'oeuvre, then the dinner. The man can eat. But I digress.

Sounds like focaccia! And thats good stuff. My mil makes it with onions and zuccinni and fresh herbs. Theyre brooklyn italian too ; )
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • dan360dan360 Paisano  5411Members Posts: 5,411
    bscinstnct wrote:

dan360 wrote:

This will confirm my white trash ways, but when you can get a Little Caesar's Deep!Deep! dish pepperoni stuffed crust pizza straight out of the oven, it's amazing.

So is their Cheesy Bread. When it's fresh.

After about a an hour, it starts to take on the flavor of pig feed. It doesn't reheat well, either.

But fresh! fresh!...........**** good.

"After about a an hour, it starts to take on the flavor of pig feed. It doesn't reheat well, either."

This is not a good sign ; )

That the ingredients have such a short half-life, or that I know what pig feed tastes like?
    Posted:
    WITB 29JUL2019
    • Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    • Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    • shopping for this gap...
    • CB3 4-G 
    • PM Grind '19 54/60/64
    • Anser 2 Jim Wells Tour Proto 36"
  • Qqq123xxQqq123xx I wake up take a few steps and am in a haze the rest of the day.  6433Members Posts: 6,433
    My Mom would take english muffins, split them, and put sauce and cheese on top and pan cook them up. Really good. Added different ingredients also to taste. I still make them but the eng muf are half the size of what they used to be. Not bad on bagels but can get pretty messy.
    Posted:
    Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
    Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
    Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
    Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
    Nxt Tour.
    Cleveland Classic #4
  • touchtouch Asheville, NC 3667Charter Members Posts: 3,667
    Traditional tossed crust thickness

New York style

Independent Pizza shop over national chains

one of two ways

mushroom and pepperoni

or

green peppers, mushrooms and onions with bacon (either kind)

Posted:
    PING G400 stock Alta 
    TM Rocketbalz Stage 2 17*
    Ping i20 fw 19* project X
    TM Jetspeed 22* hybrid Matrix
    TM SpeedBlade 5-pw  
    Ping Glide 2.0 --- 50, 56, and 60 all SS grind
    G. RIfe two bar mallet

• One_Putt_BlunderOne_Putt_Blunder  10829Members Posts: 10,829
    **** you guys

C5PNHfcUcAAy1gF.jpg
    Posted:
    [twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
    10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
    14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
    18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
    RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
    Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
    Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
    WITB Link
  • MillbrookMillbrook  1724Members Posts: 1,724
    Friday night ritual since moving house and finding none of the 4 pizza places serve a decent dish.

2 pints of craft beer at the local.

Supermarket pizza retailed by pizza chain or own make - Italian meats pizza, peppers, chillies and garlic on usual cheese/tomato base. Then add myself Spanish chorizo, onion, mushrooms and olives.

Goes down a treat with a nice bottle of red.

Fortunately I play Sunday mornings not Saturdays.
    Posted:
    All comments are made from the point of
    view of my learning and not a claim
    to expertise.

Advertisement
  • Qqq123xxQqq123xx I wake up take a few steps and am in a haze the rest of the day.  6433Members Posts: 6,433

**** you guys

C5PNHfcUcAAy1gF.jpg
    And actually, right back at ya.
    Posted:
    Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
    Nxt Tour.
    Cleveland Classic #4
  • MKappasMKappas  165Members Posts: 165
    Pepperoni & Jalapenos with a cold beer - how could you go wrong?!?
    Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Sub-Zero / GD Tour AD DI 7-S
    Titleist 917-F3 / Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 80 S
    Callaway Apex 18 / UST Mamiya Recoil 780 ES F4
    TM M1 21 / Fujikura Pro 80h
    Callaway UT 4 Iron / GD Tour AD DI HYB S
    Srixon Z965 5-PW / DG TI S400
    Titleist SM7 54, 60 / DG S400
    Miura Giken M3
  • AppAlumAppAlum  799Members Posts: 799
    Sausage, mushrooms, and onions.
    Posted:
  • SpicoliSpicoli  332Members Posts: 332
    Strange mix...But...

New York style... No pizza pot pie here... With:

Ham or Canadian bacon

Tomato

Red Onion

Black olives

Serve with crushed red pepper, a dusting of garlic powder and fresh parm.
    Posted:
    Spicoli wrote:

Strange mix...But...

New York style... No pizza pot pie here... With:

Ham or Canadian bacon

Tomato

Red Onion

Black olives

Serve with crushed red pepper, a dusting of garlic powder and fresh parm.

Thought youd feast on just cheese

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Tigermatt31Tigermatt31  103Members Posts: 103
    Chicken, bacon, and ranch from local non chain pizza places
    Posted:
    TM 2017 Tour Issue M1 440 - Tour AD-DI 7X
    Titleist 915 F - Tour AD-DI 7X
    Adams Pro Mini 18* - Aldila Green Tour X
    Tileist 716 T-MB 3-P - Project X 6.5
    Vokey SM6 53*, 58* - Project X 6.0
    Futura X5 35"
  • OrangeCrushOrangeCrush  2595Members Posts: 2,595
    Boston area people know there are two main rivals for Best Pizza. Reginas and Santarpios. I am a Regina's guy and their Proscuitto pizza is to flippin die for!!! Just the right amount of salt to compliment the sauce.

There is a place in Nashua, NH that makes this UNREAL pizza, Was a Neopolitan that had salami, chunks of ham, carmalized onions, fig, fresh mozzarella, and San Marzano tomatoes that to this day I swear was the best pizza I ever had in New England!! I don't live that close to it anymore or I would go there over Reginas any day!
    Posted:
    Callaway GBB 9* Diamana Kai'LI 70S
    Callaway RFE 9.5* Diamana Kai'LI 70S
    Callaway RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
    Callaway RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
    Callaway Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
    Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
    https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
    [twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]
  • Argonne69Argonne69  22631Members Posts: 22,631
    Lou Malnati's deep dish with sausage, pepperoni, and mushrooms.

slide-pull-1.jpeg
    Posted:
  • Froo Shon TayFroo Shon Tay  944Members Posts: 944
    Thin crust. Pepperoni, real bacon, jalapenos, pineapple and a dash a Cholula with each bite. Deadly
    Posted:
  • bogeykbogeyk  1001Members Posts: 1,001
    Qqq123xx wrote:

My Mom would take english muffins, split them, and put sauce and cheese on top and pan cook them up. Really good. Added different ingredients also to taste. I still make them but the eng muf are half the size of what they used to be. Not bad on bagels but can get pretty messy.

My mom used to do the same, but cook them in the oven. I still make them on occasion, but I toast the English muffin a bit before I put on the cheese and sauce to give it some crisp.

My favorite pie is sausage, peppers, and onion made at home. I get the dough from a local bakery that sells it uncooked and add sliced Italian sausage as well as sautéed peppers along with the sauce and cheese. I heat up the oven to 415 degrees with a pizza stone in it. Then I thinly stretch the dough out on a pizza pan and add the toppings. I cook it for ten minutes on the pan before putting the pizza directly on the stone for the final three or four minutes. When the pizza is done cooking I serve it from the stone to keep it warm.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    Argonne69 wrote:

slide-pull-1.jpeg
    I'd be in a serious food coma after that pie.
    Posted:
    Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
    Nxt Tour.
    Cleveland Classic #4
  • glkglk send it in jerome Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & Burgh 3624Members Posts: 3,624
    Qqq123xx wrote:

Argonne69 wrote:

slide-pull-1.jpeg
    I'd be in a serious food coma after that pie.

We're already under orders to pick up 3 half baked frozen Lou's in Phoenix on our way from smokies to visit our youngest in San Diego late this month. He bought a condo, first time owner. I asked for a list of things he wanted help doing so I know what tools to throw in the car. Road trip and we will be hitting our usual food spots. The mule in okc, Tyler's in amarillo, nexus in Albuquerque, ..... told him I'll bring my tools and stomach. We've packed 2 in his carry on when he'd fly back from Chicago.
    Posted:
  • knock it closeknock it close  7959Members Posts: 7,959
    Made a nice little 'za today, hot capi and mushrooms, dough came out pretty good for being done relatively quick. Sorry no picture broke my phone out last night
    Posted:
    M2, maybe
    915 FD
    913 HD
    712u 3
    714 AP2 4-p
    SM5 53, 59
    Circa62
  • MarkFromTheUKMarkFromTheUK  4639Members Posts: 4,639
    If you put pineapple or sweetcorn on your pizza you're dead to me.
    Posted:
    PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
    PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
    PXG Operator H - 34.5”
    Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
    PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
    Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!
  • knock it closeknock it close  7959Members Posts: 7,959
    Used up the extra dough from the other day last night, was better after proofing in the fridge. Went with italian sausage, mushrooms and radicchio, the radicchio is awesome once it gets a little char in the oven
    Posted:
    M2, maybe
    915 FD
    913 HD
    712u 3
    714 AP2 4-p
    SM5 53, 59
    Circa62

Advertisement
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff Montreal 28740Members Posts: 28,740
    I had my favorite pizza today....a local place that does a brick oven meat lovers. Honestly there's very little that beats a good pizza

Anyone every have the mini deep dish pizzas at Ohare? It's a place called Reggio's....was there last week. For Airport pizza it was OK. Is that a chain in Chicago?
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/S300
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
    How bout this?

You get a plain slice.

What do put on it?

And what do you drink with it?

For me. Little garlic powder and some red pepper flakes. Wash is down with a can of diet coke. (I lost my taste for "real" coke years ago)

You?
    Posted:
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff Montreal 28740Members Posts: 28,740
    I hate diet coke....i love Pepsi Max and Coke Zero

But give me cheese, spicy italian sausage, pepperoni and bacon
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/S300
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7

Advertisement
    MtlJeff wrote:

I hate diet coke....i love Pepsi Max and Coke Zero

But give me cheese, spicy italian sausage, pepperoni and bacon

*Plain slice*, I said, mtl!

What condiments do you put on a plain slice?

Do they serve a *plain* slice in Montreal?

; )
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file