Ball Comparison-Battle of the $30 Urethane balls!

Majeebus

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are also lots of great deals on 4 and 5 piece balls. No need to limit to just 3 piece. I stocked up on last years Taylor Made Tour Preferred Xs at $22 a dozen with free shipping. On Taylor Made site.

Agreed.

To all: Maxfli U/Fli Soft is a 4 pc btw. Great balls all around this price point nowadays

Driver: Honma TW747 10.5*

Fairways: Honma TW747 15* / 18*
Hybrids: Honma TW747 22* / 25*
Irons: Honma TW-X 6-11

Wedges: Honma TW-W4 54* / 58*
Putter: TaylorMade TP Collection Juno (33”)

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft (2020)

I can say the Srixon was definitely not a good ball for me. I don't know why (maybe my 105 mph swing speed) but the ball just reacted so strangely off of my Driver. Any sidespin was greatly amplified. Having played the Project A the most I can say that it can def get a good deal of sidespin as well, but it was really long. The Volvik seemed to have the least side spin off the driver, and flew true to my iron distances even in very cold weather.

I would say the Project A is longest on the perfect hit. The one crazy thing I noticed about the Project A was that I could hit that ball up to 140 yards with my 52 degree wedge!!!!! Once I found that out it definitely helped me with birdies! With a pro v my 52 degree is only a 120 yard club!

I bought 12 volvik vibes offline to get a better feel for them, but haven't be able to get out at all with the weather.....

Volvik Vibe

Not urethane.

Vibe is. Are you thinking of Vivid?

Damn, I always get those backwards. Too many V’s!

So Vivid is the $30 Surlyn and Vibe is the $36 Urethane. Maybe I’ll remember next time.

I've been playing golf for 26 years and have never heard of vivid golf balls.

I thought Vivid was a company that produces naughty movies

I tried the Srixon QST and didn't care for it myself. But all of the Srixons feel "heavy" or "dense" to me, even the Zstar. And the XV feels like crap.

Might try to find some early edition Wilson FG Tours at around $30.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I tried the Srixon QST and didn't care for it myself. But all of the Srixons feel "heavy" or "dense" to me, even the Zstar. And the XV feels like crap.

Might try to find some early edition Wilson FG Tours at around $30.

Have you tried the 2017 XV? It's not as firm and does everything exceptionally well.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

If we're eliminating balls purchased online because of shipping charges, my top three go 1) ProV1 Practice; 2) Srixon Q Star Tour; 3) Taylormade Project A. The only difference between Practice Pro Vs and regular ones is the stamp on the side and $10-$18 less per dozen depending on time of year. Also, all three balls have really durable urethane covers. I can't say that about Snell, Vice, or Volvik.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Of the three the OP listed, I have only played one of them, the Q star tour. I was very disappointed in the golf ball in that on off-center hits the ball really suffer distance issues. Most handicap golfers don't hit the ball flush on the center, and when I hit the Q star tour off center I noticed much more distance issues than other golf balls. I was really fond of this ball to begin with until I noticed the distance issues that resulted from it.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Of the three the OP listed, I have only played one of them, the Q star tour. I was very disappointed in the golf ball in that on off-center hits the ball really suffer distance issues. Most handicap golfers don't hit the ball flush on the center, and when I hit the Q star tour off center I noticed much more distance issues than other golf balls. I was really fond of this ball to begin with until I noticed the distance issues that resulted from it.

I'm right with you on this!!!! So true!

So many good options in this price range. I've hit the three listed, never had a problem with any of them. Vibe performed similar for me to a Chromesoft. Project (a)'s were fairly nondescript other than the seam running around it. Spin was good, felt soft. QST was a ball that felt so good on the putting green I refused to believe it was a sub $30 ball.

Snell MTB, Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U, Top Flite Gamer Tours, Vice Pro, also good balls for the money. Lots of good value around $30 just have to pick what works best for your preferences.

I also agree, Qstar was short and lots of side spin, when I tested it a few years back.

Spoiler

Stay the Course; and my the Course be with you!

So many good options in this price range. I've hit the three listed, never had a problem with any of them. Vibe performed similar for me to a Chromesoft. Project (a)'s were fairly nondescript other than the seam running around it. Spin was good, felt soft. QST was a ball that felt so good on the putting green I refused to believe it was a sub $30 ball.

Snell MTB, Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U, Top Flite Gamer Tours, Vice Pro, also good balls for the money. Lots of good value around $30 just have to pick what works best for your preferences.

Gamer Tours are 2 for $30 right now. Hard to beat that

I also agree, Qstar was short and lots of side spin, when I tested it a few years back.

that wasn’t a urethane ball. Only the Q-Star TOUR is urethane and only been out about 1 year

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

that wasn’t a urethane ball. Only the Q-Star TOUR is urethane and only been out about 1 year

I know people who play the Q star and really liked it. I also know people who play the Q star tour and say the same thing that I say about off-center hits and the distance issue when hitting the ball that way. It seems logical that every ball would suffer a little distance problem when you hit it off center but with today's clubs I'm Amazed how far the ball flies on off-center hits with my driver. Just the same, the Q star tour suffers more then average in my opinion.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Ufli Soft from Maxfli is considerably better than any of those 3 in my opinion, and is prob $25 per doz.

Slightly cheaper and also better than those 3 is Gamer Tour.

Cheap balls from cheap company. Try it to believe it.

I found some urethane-covered, 3-piece Maxfli on a course last summer and I have to say it was fantastic before I lost it. Of the three mentioned, I'd go with Q-Star Tour, though.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

I've tried the QST, both iterations of the Chrome Soft, the Project A, and the so-far unmentioned Wilson Duo U. I have a slight preference for both of the Chrome Softs, although I get good performance out of any of them (SS = 95).

Duo-u a fantastic ball, but unless there's a sale, sub $30 is unlikely...

I've tried the QST, both iterations of the Chrome Soft, the Project A, and the so-far unmentioned Wilson Duo U. I have a slight preference for both of the Chrome Softs, although I get good performance out of any of them (SS = 95).

Duo-u a fantastic ball, but unless there's a sale, sub $30 is unlikely...

my local GG has them for $28 In store. Looks like a liquidation price

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Another vote for Snell MTB, I switched despite playing almost nothing but Titleist balls for 52 years. However, the MTB is being discontinued and Snell is rolling out two new balls at or before the PGA show. I expect I'll still be playing Snell next year.

52 years eh? that's quite the commitment to a ball :shok:

Well...I can safely say for now......The Volvik Vibe is definitely the ball for me! The two rounds I have played with these balls my scrambling percentages are through the roof! I almost had a hole in one last week on a 200 yard par 3! Hit a 5 iron that landed about 10 feet in front of hole and rolled directly at the hole until gently veering away to about a foot from the hole for a tap in 2! The first round I played with these I had a chip in birdie from 40 yards!!!

Here is a link to my game golf: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/MattM

Last two rounds 43% scrambling and 36% scrambling. For scrambling purposes though......The 36% scrambling was hurt because of the chip in or else it would have been in the 40% range. That said, I've never had to consistent rounds with 35% or higher scrambling percentages!

Well...I can safely say for now......The Volvik Vibe is definitely the ball for me! The two rounds I have played with these balls my scrambling percentages are through the roof! I almost had a hole in one last week on a 200 yard par 3! Hit a 5 iron that landed about 10 feet in front of hole and rolled directly at the hole until gently veering away to about a foot from the hole for a tap in 2! The first round I played with these I had a chip in birdie from 40 yards!!!

Here is a link to my game golf: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/MattM

Last two rounds 43% scrambling and 36% scrambling. For scrambling purposes though......The 36% scrambling was hurt because of the chip in or else it would have been in the 40% range. That said, I've never had to consistent rounds with 35% or higher scrambling percentages!

Is the Vibe under $30? I see them everywhere for $35 and would probably try them if they were a little cheaper

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Why so many balls listed here that just aren't sub-$30? Duo-U and Vibe - where are u guys finding them at such a discount?
Duo-U at GG is $28 I’m store

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Talking about price of golf balls always seems to turn into an exercises in one-upmanship. Do you mean balls that have a normal MAP of under $30? Or ones routinely discounted to under $30? Or ones that show up in quantities of a few hundred dozen on eBay for $30 then are gone a month later?

Someone can always find a one-off deal that almost arbitrarily cheap.