PXG - It's About Time to give them a try

tigerfan23

Many will spend a lot of money on a luxury car that will get to the grocery store no better than a cheaper car....BUT the nicer interior, sound system, luxury ride all makes it worth the extra $ spent to obtain that driving experience.

Still waiting for an answer from Tiger!

So the only difference in pxg and other clubs is comfort?

BREAKIING NEWS!! You could say that about any club.

Good luck on your search for the Holly Grail club.

I'm not searching. Once you have properly fit clubs that you enjoy its up to the operator.

It's those selling pxg hype that are trying to sell them as a holy grail = smoke and mirrors.

Why is it "smoke and mirrors" when PXG does it but not when TM, Cally and others do it? I really don't get all the hate or should I say jealousy. Play what you like, like what you play and let others do the same. Agree completely its the operator with properly fitted clubs.

Many will spend a lot of money on a luxury car that will get to the grocery store no better than a cheaper car....BUT the nicer interior, sound system, luxury ride all makes it worth the extra $ spent to obtain that driving experience.

I'm not searching. Once you have properly fit clubs that you enjoy its up to the operator.

It's those selling pxg hype that are trying to sell them as a holy grail = smoke and mirrors.

Let the buyer beware........If you want a great feeling, sounding, looking iron then give them a try....they check all the boxes for me....maybe not for you.

There are many clubs that will give performance results that equal the PXG irons, but do not have the same attributes that I look for, hence the PXG is in the bag.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

dont buy them then

I'm not, but for those that did, I'm curious to know how much your handicap went down? Because at that price they must be something special, right?

How many folks who complain about the price of PXG have bounced around from set to set and ultimately spent more than a properly fit set of PXG irons would have cost them if they purchased PXG first? You can put my name at the top of the list. Who's next?

This issue is common and has nothing to do with PXG. (also makes for an awesome used club market :))

My hypothesis is that any properly fit set will perform as well as a properly fit set of PXG. I still have yet to see any data that shows otherwise.

It would be interesting to see a few more tests comparing PXG and other products.

Price is all relative. Let’s say my handicap goes down .5 from getting pxgs. For some of us, that’s worth the 3k for a set. For others it’s not. I spent about 3 hours testing irons and the pxgs performed the best for me. The 3k was expensive for golf clubs but I had it so I spent it. As in all things in life, it’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

People spend money on all sorts of stuff. Some of it rather odd IMO, but overpriced golf clubs are far from the worst ego badges I've seen/heard of. And it's their money, not mine, so they can do whatever floats their boat. Who am I to judge?

As nick said: "it's all in the eyes of the beholder". :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

No...Like several other irons from other oem the PXG iron is at the top of the list in performance based upon the monitor data I have seen.

BUT......unlike these other irons the PXG offers more...better feel, sound, looks and that is what I was after when I tried them for the first time.

So, bottom line is the PXG iron offers top performance with unmatched feel, sound, looks IMHO.

And if that isn't good enough to lower your handicap, I suggest practice and possibly lessions and that includes the putting green.

I highly suggest you try them to find out for yourself!

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

When I was fitted at Cool Clubs, it was between the p790 and the PXG 0311. The p790 was definitely hotter. Probably 10 yards further. It was also inconsistent and had a harsher feel. The PXG was very consistent. 172 yard 6 iron and the feel was awesome! The problem with the distance of the p790 for me was my gap between PW and GW. I hit my GW about 115 yds, and I would have hit the p790 PW about 140 yds. 25 yds is too much of a gap. I hit the 0311 PW about 130. PXG was purely feel and forgiveness for me.

Good analogy but serious Cars can't compare to golf clubs as heck yea why spend the extra money on a car if your only going to the grocery store. Properly fitted clubs will keep your score as low as possible no mater what you play.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Tiger has "new" irons so he can have a TM on there, per his contract.

Irons are a piece of metal on the end of a shaft ... They do a job. How much luxury do you need for .02 second impact?

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Good analogy but serious Cars can't compare to golf clubs as heck yea why spend the extra money on a car if your only going to the grocery store. Properly fitted clubs will keep your score as low as possible no mater what you play.
Lots of people spend that extra $ on luxo cars and go nowhere.

But whatever you enjoy as the extra for the pxg irons is well spent for many even though they are hacks and enjoy the great feel and performance they offer.

Irons are a piece of metal on the end of a shaft ... They do a job. How much luxury do you need for .02 second impact?

He wants irons that he likes and now he has them...hope his handicap drops. :D

Tiger plays the irons that allows him to play his best golf ... Not because they're a luxury brand to impress people ... Like you do.

Tiger plays the irons that allows him to play his best golf ... Not because they're a luxury brand to impress people ... Like you do.

I am sure Tiger will do well with his new irons...not sure his handicap will drop however.

I purchase pxg irons as they are the best irons I have ever used...not to impress as you think.

Have you tried them...ah! NOPE!!!

Tiger plays the irons that allows him to play his best golf ... Not because they're a luxury brand to impress people ... Like you do. �

I am sure Tiger will do well with his new irons...not sure his handicap will drop however.

I purchase pxg irons as they are the best irons I have ever used...not to impress as you think.

Have you tried them...ah! NOPE!!!

Nobody in my area has demo clubs to hit, and the people who have the can't quantify why they are the best ...

Do they give you better trajectory, better distance control, more shot shaping ability ... What makes these better than a $1,000 set of Pings. And please, no luxury car analogies. Just like Tiger, I'm not switching clubs unless I think it's going to lower my scores.

I suggest you head out and find a place to try them so you will then realize how terrific they are once they fit you.

Let us know how the testing went once you try them.

For me they looked great, were forgiving, had more ball speed than anything else and felt good to hit. No other club had the combo of everything. Pings were about as forgiving, didn’t feel nearly as good, didn’t look as good and were a little bit less ball speed.

Thank you ... Is that so hard?

For me they looked great, were forgiving, had more ball speed than anything else and felt good to hit. No other club had the combo of everything. Pings were about as forgiving, didn't feel nearly as good, didn't look as good and were a little bit less ball speed.

I echo everything you say about them. Still can't get myself to shell out that kind of money for them.

Ping G430 Max 10.5, VA Nemesis 55 four

Ping G430 5-18, VA Vylyn 65 four

Ping G430 4H, 5H, 6H, Alta 70S

Mizuno Pro 245, 6-gw. MMT 85S

Ping S159 54S, & 54H, MMT 105S

Odyssey Nano 7, stroke lab

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

Tatertot, if you want to go down that line of questioning you can; the marginal amount of money ($1,500 extra dollars over say, AP2) was totally worth it for me but you and I may have different views on what $1,500 means to us. If it meant my child could not eat, or affected their or my life in any way, I would not buy the PXGs. If it has absolutely no impact on my life, then why would I focus on the price? Considering that, and the fact that golf is my passion, if I feel the clubs are even marginally better than others that I have tried, then I am going to buy them.

I also would say that individuals on this board who buy multiple drivers, putters etc. every year should be held to that same standard. When you switch drivers, that too must be something special and I would expect to see a statistically significant drop in handicap, meaning of course, that if you were a 3 cap seven years ago, you should be about a +4 by now right? My guess over that time many here could have purchased 3 sets of PXGs with the new irons, drivers and putters they have bought without really any tangible improvement in handicap.

For what it is worth my handicap did go down last year about by 1.1; whether I can attribute that entirely to the pxgs is, of course, debatable. If someone says these clubs are the best clubs for everyone and buying a set will lower your cap by x, then I would call that person a liar. What I would also say is that you will never know whether they work for you until you try them, and if the price is too large to justify the experiment, then just move on and continue enjoying the game and let others enjoy their game.

This is a weird phenomenon on this website. It is like me thinking Panerai is a brand that is inferior and over-priced, and then I show up in every Panerai thread on a watch forum to make snarky comments about the brand and everyone who owns/enjoys Panerai. I've never seen anything like this but it is funny to read once in a while.

i see the PXGs as distance clubs.. that's why i haven't bought a set. I was ready to pull the trigger, but the set i demoed were obviously designed for distance..Looks though... and feel...great!!! when they get the internal moulding out...i am in

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

i see the PXGs as distance clubs.. that's why i haven't bought a set. I was ready to pull the trigger, but the set i demoed were obviously designed for distance..Looks though... and feel...great!!! when they get the internal moulding out...i am in

They make four models and the the "T" tour model is not a distance iron...did you try it?

Even the "P" model isnt a distance iron and is played on tour both pga and lpga.

Am I totally out of line for thinking of these hollow clubs as hybrids shaped like irons?

They are not hollow and the shape is more like a blade iron than a hybrib.

Only the new gen2 sgi model is approaching the size of a hybrib.

http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry17304882

John Daly's new PXG irons! Hope he provides some feedback on them. :D

PXG #1 GEN2 Driving Iron and 0311P GEN2 irons...wow!

http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry17304882

John Daly's new PXG irons! Hope he provides some feedback on them. :D

You are the definition of the word "tool".