PXG - It's About Time to give them a try

tigerfan23

Look, I've got nothing against PXG clubs. To be honest, they seem like the kind of clubs I'd play if they weren't so dang expensive.

People bashing just because of the cost should go bark up a different tree because the fans don't care.

Fanboys touting superiority should save the rhetoric too because everyone that didn't just fall off the turnip truck knows there are lots of good clubs on the market.

And Parson's should save the rhetoric too because it's self defeating.

... Well said. I am a perfect candidate for PXG irons as I am 65 and can use the extra distance and forgiveness. But I find Parson's soooooo obnoxious and once he sued Taylor Made, it influenced me to demo the P790's. Best irons I have ever played because what they offer is exactly what I need. Certainly the gapping and the distance PXG/P790's generate can even be detrimental to others, especially high swing speed players, so while they P790's are superior for their target market, there are many more irons out there on the market that will be a better fit. Sheesh Taylor Made alone makes P730 MB's. P750 demanding CB's, more forgiving P770's and M3/M4's for maximum forgiveness so there is something for everyone, none being "superior" to the others depending on what your game needs.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

im close to pulling the trigger.....

Still debating p vs t.....

i like the t specs better. Which are closer to AP2?

Can somebody link me to the thread with the comparison pics??

Not sure this will work....but easyyy posted on april 12....in tour equipment forum....

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1621838-PXG-Gen-2-0311-T-and-P-Pics.-Comparison-Pics-with-the-last-Gen-and-the-field...#entry17185460

I have the 0311P model 6 -pw and they have more offset than the T model.

But, they are a great feeling iron!

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Gen 1 wasn't my jam. Gave them about 7 - 8 rounds with T's (4-PW) built for me but, just didn't care for them. They hit well and were very forgiving but the feel of them was offputting.

Haven't tried the Gen 2s or even seen them in the wild yet but, PXG said they wouldn't release anything new unless significantly better so, I'll keep that in mind.

To some people, the hype was all there. But, to me, it was just hype.

Was in Phoenix for a couple of days and headed to PXG yesterday for a fitting. Was very impressed with the entire process. Beautiful facility and my fitter was great! I started with irons and the Gen 2 Players Head. Tried a number of shafts including Nippon Pro Modus 105 Dynamic Gold and ended up with the Steel Fiber 110 Stiff. Compared to my Apex Pros with PX 6.0 I picked up an average of 10 yds hitting my 7 iron 170 yds. Feel was superior and spin numbers were better. Moved on to the driver and could not improve on my Rougue SZ and the fitter said if it’s not broke don’t fix it. I’m set on wedges hybrid and 3 Wood right now but did want to get fitted for putter. The info provided was very informative. I was playing my putter half inch too long with wrong loft and lie angle. Grip was not right. Gunboat worked best and I ordered that too. No doubt an expensive trip but I closed a couple of big deals lately and have the cash. Hopefully a good investment which Will keep me out of the golf shops for among time. Bottom line PXG is the real deal and I wish I would have tried them sooner. While my up front cost was higher I believe my expenditures over the long haul will decrease as I intend to stay with PXG for quite some time

Was in Phoenix for a couple of days and headed to PXG yesterday for a fitting. Was very impressed with the entire process. Beautiful facility and my fitter was great! I started with irons and the Gen 2 Players Head. Tried a number of shafts including Nippon Pro Modus 105 Dynamic Gold and ended up with the Steel Fiber 110 Stiff. Compared to my Apex Pros with PX 6.0 I picked up an average of 10 yds hitting my 7 iron 170 yds. Feel was superior and spin numbers were better. Moved on to the driver and could not improve on my Rougue SZ and the fitter said if it’s not broke don’t fix it. I’m set on wedges hybrid and 3 Wood right now but did want to get fitted for putter. The info provided was very informative. I was playing my putter half inch too long with wrong loft and lie angle. Grip was not right. Gunboat worked best and I ordered that too. No doubt an expensive trip but I closed a couple of big deals lately and have the cash. Hopefully a good investment which Will keep me out of the golf shops for among time. Bottom line PXG is the real deal and I wish I would have tried them sooner. While my up front cost was higher I believe my expenditures over the long haul will decrease as I intend to stay with PXG for quite some time
Congrats....excellent selection!

Sounds like great WITB......OH wait... :D

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Just coming to this thread to comment that I am coming from a member-guest at a local club and I was SHOCKED to see how many bags are gaming PXG. Club has pretty decent players, average HDCP of players in the member guest was roughly 9ish if my math is correct. Pretty high net worth club so makes sense. Out of the 172 players, I don't know exact numbers but I counted roughly 40ish bags with PXG irons. Pretty crazy.

Just thought I would mention it!

im close to pulling the trigger.....

Still debating p vs t.....

i like the t specs better. Which are closer to AP2?

Can somebody link me to the thread with the comparison pics??

I demoed the T, P and XF. See my signature for what I ended up going with. The P,s are so good it's crazy and the XF’s are just stupid easy to hit!!!!

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG One and Done w/Super Stroke 5.0
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

If PXG is claiming a 40% improvement in dispersion, they must be comparing meticulously fitted irons to an OTR set that is a horrible mismatch to whomever they are using as a model.

They were using gen 1 as a model

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

I started with Ps when I denied and did not try the others. Yes I could hit the Ts but I will be more consistent with my Ps. XF s no doubt would be great but are a touch big for my eye. And the Ps were plenty forgiving during my fitting

During your fitting, any chance you tried the new, yet to be released drivers...not the X version but the XXF or XX?

BB, sounds like you know something here. When I went through my fitting ( been about a month now ) I asked about the drivers. Was told they are still testing with some of the pros.

C'mon, fess up!!!

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG One and Done w/Super Stroke 5.0
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

BB, sounds like you know something here. When I went through my fitting ( been about a month now ) I asked about the drivers. Was told they are still testing with some of the pros.

C'mon, fess up!!!

I started with Ps when I denied and did not try the others. Yes I could hit the Ts but I will be more consistent with my Ps. XF s no doubt would be great but are a touch big for my eye. And the Ps were plenty forgiving during my fitting

During your fitting, any chance you tried the new, yet to be released drivers...not the X version but the XXF or XX?

No I did not. They were not offered and I was at their HQ

Have not read a single post in this thread.

I know 5-6 players who are now playing the PXG's. None of them, I repeat none of them, are better with the PXG's than they were with their previous clubs. And at least 2-3 of them have gotten worse.

and your point is? They still need lessons?

Well yes, they obviously still need lessons.

And, just as obviously, PXG's are the most overpriced clubs ever and will not magically make you a better golfer.

And at least a couple of them would play better with other clubs.

Not exactly rocket science or brain surgery.

I am a huge Ping iron fan, and just love the Ping i200. They will not win any beauty contests, but they just seem to work for me. Have tried many other irons, and but just keep coming back to the i200. These seem to combine the best attributes of forgiveness and playability for me. They are pretty soft when struck properly, and pretty punishing (feel wise) when not.

Thought I would give the PXG 0311Ps a try to see how they compared. The 0311Ps are like a slimmed down version of the i200 (see comparison pics below), with better feel. I really like them. Probably the first iron I have hit that ticked all the boxes for me like the i200. I am impressed with the feel and how soft they are, which is the only difference I can find between them. The 0311Ps might launch a hair lower, that's it.

I know they are expensive, but I came away really liking them. If you are a Ping i200 fan and want a little more feel, these will definitely work for you.

Best

LB

TM Qi10 Max - Diamana T60
PXG Black Ops 4W, 7W - GD Tour AD VR-7

Titleist T350 5 - MMT95

Titleist T200 6-PW - MMT95

Titleist T150 GW - MMT105

Vokey- 54/12A, 58LBK
LAB Golf DF3
Titleist Pro V1

I know 5-6 players who are now playing the PXG's. None of them, I repeat none of them, are better with the PXG's than they were with their previous clubs. And at least 2-3 of them have gotten worse.

And, just as obviously, PXG's are the most overpriced clubs ever and will not magically make you a better golfer.

Clearly one does not need to be a rocket scientist to realize that clubs alone won't make one a better golfer. The question you need to ask your buddies is are they happy with their purchase of PXG? That may mean more to them than their scores. I recently got fitted for PXG irons and a putter and have about 5 rounds under my belt. So far they are actually worth every penny and I have improved my iron play and putting significantly. In fact I am hitting more greens and eliminating 3 putts with properly fit clubs. And I am a club longer or 10 yds further with the PXG Gen 2 Players Irons

Clearly one does not need to be a rocket scientist to realize that clubs alone won't make one a better golfer. The question you need to ask your buddies is are they happy with their purchase of PXG? That may mean more to them than their scores. I recently got fitted for PXG irons and a putter and have about 5 rounds under my belt. So far they are actually worth every penny and I have improved my iron play and putting significantly. In fact I am hitting more greens and eliminating 3 putts with properly fit clubs. And I am a club longer or 10 yds further with the PXG Gen 2 Players Irons

And one final thought on this. I don't see myself kicking the PXG out of the bag for a long time. As such my equipment expenditures and hoeing are over which will in the next twelve months reduce my overall purchases/spending

Not much out there for those that like the dark side of PXG, so............

The PXG GEN2 Extreme Dark irons

Would you mind elaborating on why you chose the 0311X in the 4/5 irons instead of the XF?

thx

LB

TM Qi10 Max - Diamana T60
PXG Black Ops 4W, 7W - GD Tour AD VR-7

Titleist T350 5 - MMT95

Titleist T200 6-PW - MMT95

Titleist T150 GW - MMT105

Vokey- 54/12A, 58LBK
LAB Golf DF3
Titleist Pro V1

Would you mind elaborating on why you chose the 0311X in the 4/5 irons instead of the XF?

thx

LB

I have had the gen1 XF irons in the 3 thru 7 irons.

The XF has more offset than even the P model and that is not to my liking.

I have also had the X model in the gen1 and much preferred the lower offset and amazing soft feel.

Several PXG staff play the X model including Ryan Moore (5 iron), but only Pat Perez plays the XF (3, 4) and none I have seen play the XF in a set.

If your going to spend big money, don’t limit your search to PXG. I’ve had 3 sets if Epon irons, (super high end Japanese)

I was starry eyed over the PXG’s and got fit for the Driver through sand wedge, including 2 putters. I spend a pant load of cash and 3 months later, every PXG club I bought is gone.

I went back to my Epon’s and just had a new set of Epon 705’s built and I’ll tell you they blow the PXG product away.

Keep in mind when shopping PXG, be sure to compare apples to apples.

Not fair to compare them to a Titleist iron, it’s two different price points.

As I said, if you going to pony up big bucks, try all the big buck sticks, you won’t have any buyers remorse that way.

Best of luck

As they say...”Treat Yo Self”,

THIS^^^

I also had my heart set of either a set of PXGs or Mizunos and then my fitter said try these Epons. Never heard of them before and pushed back on the fitter but just to humor him, I hit the Epon 502s and was completely blown away.

Both the Mizunos and the PXG felt beyond harsh when compared to the Epons...like night and day. The Epons has that allusive super soft feel you’ve always heard about but never really felt. Unreal feel.

I was one of these guys who bought new irons each season. I’ve now had my Epons for 8 seasons and the ONLY thing I’m considering replacing them is the new Epon 505s based on the fact that they have a bit of the PXG looks and just for fun.

If you’re considering PXG, you owe it to yourself to look at Epons.

Am I totally out of line for thinking of these hollow clubs as hybrids shaped like irons?

They are not hollow and the shape is more like a blade iron than a hybrib.

Only the new gen2 sgi model is approaching the size of a hybrib.

Hey, Bob. Just so you didn't misunderstand my question, I did say "shaped like irons", and I didn't say anything about size.

Regardless, are you saying they're not hollow because they're filled with an elastomer? I realize that is what differentiates PXGs from some hollow driving irons.

My point is, elastomer or not, it's a sealed enclosure ... not an open cavity back and not solid metal blade. So it doesn't strike me as unreasonable to start thinking about this type of design as a really small hybrid in a pleasing, blade-like shape, filled with elastomer. Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I always advocate people play more fairways and hybrids. If an OEM were to make a full set of hybrids down to PW that were smaller and looked more like Cally XR Pros or Apex hybrids and less like the Adams and Cleveland hybrid iron sets ... I think they'd sell a ton and help lower a lot of buyers' scores.

Anyway, hope I'm not coming across as too pedantic. It's hard to strike a friendly tone in online banter.

TSi2 | D, 4W, 4H | TENSEI AV RAW White

ZX5 | 5I | MMT 

ZX7 | 6I-PW | MMT

SM8 | 52.12F, 58.12D | MMT

Newport 2

WITB

If your going to spend big money, don’t limit your search to PXG. I’ve had 3 sets if Epon irons, (super high end Japanese)

I was starry eyed over the PXG’s and got fit for the Driver through sand wedge, including 2 putters. I spend a pant load of cash and 3 months later, every PXG club I bought is gone.

I went back to my Epon’s and just had a new set of Epon 705’s built and I’ll tell you they blow the PXG product away.

Keep in mind when shopping PXG, be sure to compare apples to apples.

Not fair to compare them to a Titleist iron, it’s two different price points.

As I said, if you going to pony up big bucks, try all the big buck sticks, you won’t have any buyers remorse that way.

Best of luck

As they say...”Treat Yo Self”,

THIS^^^

I also had my heart set of either a set of PXGs or Mizunos and then my fitter said try these Epons. Never heard of them before and pushed back on the fitter but just to humor him, I hit the Epon 502s and was completely blown away.

Both the Mizunos and the PXG felt beyond harsh when compared to the Epons...like night and day. The Epons has that allusive super soft feel you’ve always heard about but never really felt. Unreal feel.

I was one of these guys who bought new irons each season. I’ve now had my Epons for 8 seasons and the ONLY thing I’m considering replacing them is the new Epon 505s based on the fact that they have a bit of the PXG looks and just for fun.

If you’re considering PXG, you owe it to yourself to look at Epons.

My cousin works at pxg in Arizona. I could have gotten the clubs for 40% off. I ended up with epons as well. The 503 is like hitting butter sticks. I will try the Gen 2 when I'm in Arizona later this year but I can't see them touching these epons.

I did a fitting at my club two weeks ago & got 13 clubs— 6-W in P’s, 4 & 5 X hybrid & 5 wood, 3 wedges & putter. I love them so far. I’m far from a great player, but I’m working hard at it, my pro is on their staff, and I really enjoyed the experience. I’m confident they’ll be a nice complement to my efforts to improve at and contribute to my enjoyment of golf.

Of course the same could be said for lots of other, excellent clubs that cost 1/3 as much. I would never argue about whether they’re worth the cost. Of course l, the answer to that question about *any* high-end, non-necessity good is always “no.” A Rolex doesn’t help you tell time better. A Porsche doesn’t get you to the grocery store better.

That said, some of the vitriol in this thread is pretty juvenile. Until trying golf this year, I raced bicycles at the most elite level a non-pro can reach. My sponsor-provided bicycle cost less than half of what some middle-aged hobbyists rode with far less frequency, intensity & ability. It would never occur to me to ridicule then for that. It made them happy and they worked hard to afford it. I wasn’t competing with them, which would be even more pathetic still. I was happy to see them outside & enjoying themselves.

That’s all I’m looking to do with my PXG’s too. If I played with someone far better with far less expensive clubs, I’d be looking to learn from & admire them, trying to use it as inspiration to improve my own, fledgling game.