Range 2 Course: Beyond Discouraged

MCL116

So how many 18 hole rounds of golf have you played, total, lifetime?

I would say I played about 20-25 rounds in my first year, 5 of which were on my October trip in Alabama.

This year I've played between 10-15 so far

Probably +/- another 5-7 rounds as margin for error.

I know it's a miniscule amount, what frustrates me to the point that I have gotten to is, I don't expect to hit it perfect every time or anything like that, it's that I know how well I can hit it but then to play like I've absolutely never seen a club before. Considering the amount of work I have put in, more of my mishits, should be more playable, if that makes sense. To have the ability to hit the ball like I have, and put in the practice I do and to then go out there and top, chunk, slice, hook, pop-up, on not just a handful of shots, but a bunch, it's beyond frustrating, confusing and discouraging.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did the lesson go on Saturday?

You do the majority of your golf playing/practice on weekends due to being in NYC during the week, isn't that right?

Thru the week, do you work on your putting and chipping IN your home? Easy, cheap to do, and will help your scoring. You can do this all year, not just during the golf season.

I mentioned before, I think you practice too much, play too little. You hit it OK on the range but can't quite take it to the course. So take it to the course more, that's how/where you will learn to be a better player. Sure, hit A bucket of balls on the weekend but get at least one, preferably 2 rounds in on the weekend..even if one is on the par 3 course you mentioned. On the par 3 course I wouldn't use a tee more than twice per 9 holes, hitting off the grass will more replicate the shots you face during a regular course round. On the par 3, play 2 balls if you can, keep score on your first ball only.

Finally, I agree with others, your expectations are high considering how little you've actually played and how irregularly you get to play.

Very few adults just take up the game and have fantastic results. In your case, you are dedicated, actually trying to learn (lessons) and it will come. A few years from now, your current efforts to break 100 will be nothing more than a distant memory.

Play well the rest of the season.

I would say I played about 20-25 rounds in my first year, 5 of which were on my October trip in Alabama.

I know it's a miniscule amount, what frustrates me to the point that I have gotten to is, I don't expect to hit it perfect every time or anything like that, it's that I know how well I can hit it but then to play like I've absolutely never seen a club before. Considering the amount of work I have put in, more of my mishits, should be more playable, if that makes sense. To have the ability to hit the ball like I have, and put in the practice I do and to then go out there and top, chunk, slice, hook, pop-up, on not just a handful of shots, but a bunch, it's beyond frustrating, confusing and discouraging.

come back in twenty years. :)

i still have the same concerns.

your expectations are out of line with reality. look at how many bad shots the pros hit. it's just they can still save par somehow.

too put it harshly (as it was put to me many times), we are not good enough to be discouraged or frustrated.

good luck

How did the lesson go on Saturday?

You do the majority of your golf playing/practice on weekends due to being in NYC during the week, isn't that right?

Thru the week, do you work on your putting and chipping IN your home? Easy, cheap to do, and will help your scoring. You can do this all year, not just during the golf season.

I mentioned before, I think you practice too much, play too little. You hit it OK on the range but can't quite take it to the course. So take it to the course more, that's how/where you will learn to be a better player. Sure, hit A bucket of balls on the weekend but get at least one, preferably 2 rounds in on the weekend..even if one is on the par 3 course you mentioned. On the par 3 course I wouldn't use a tee more than twice per 9 holes, hitting off the grass will more replicate the shots you face during a regular course round. On the par 3, play 2 balls if you can, keep score on your first ball only.

Finally, I agree with others, your expectations are high considering how little you've actually played and how irregularly you get to play.

Very few adults just take up the game and have fantastic results. In your case, you are dedicated, actually trying to learn (lessons) and it will come. A few years from now, your current efforts to break 100 will be nothing more than a distant memory.

Play well the rest of the season.

The lesson went very well. A minor change to my posture and I was striking the ball great again with every club in the bag. More importantly, my misses were still very solid strikes that would be very playable. Basically my miss was a small to medium fade rather than the draw I hit on my good swings. It really reaffirmed that I know I can be good at this game. At the same time, I've been through this before. I have a great lesson, and then don't play any better and am disappointed, so trying to temper my excitement here.

I do practice putting in my apt year round on a birdie ball green. last year I was able to chip in my apt, but since moving to my new apt, I don't think that will be possible unfortunately even though I'd love to. I try to do some mirror work when working on posture and shoulder turn and things like that as well.

I definitely agree I should be playing this par 3 course more. It was part of my plan this summer, but I feel like I didn't do it quite as much as I wanted to, mostly due to scheduling type things on the weekends. Maybe instead of hitting a medium bucket on the range, I'll hit a small bucket, then go play the par 3.

I have about a month until my trip to Hilton Head. I'd really like to get my game in shape to shoot in the 90s there. That's the goal.

This is going to sound hopelessly negative but it's not. A more worthwhile goal is to keep your ball in play well enough to enjoy the company of your friends and seeing new (hopefully excellent!) courses.

When you place a scoring expectation on it, every lost ball or bad shot makes you try harder on the next swing. I meant to post a further reply the other day but let me tell you, I've been there. And still go there occasionally.

Here's something my teaching pro buddy clued me in on years ago. Trying harder in golf only works if you have something in reserve that you can call on when you need it. If you're already playing as hard as your game will allow, trying harder will blow up in your face every single time.

He described it as feeling like a truck was bearing down on you on the Interstate so you stomp on the gas to try and get out of the way and instead of going faster the car stalls and coasts to a stop. I think that's a good description. It's better not to stomp on the accelerator in that situation but just pull aside and let that truck roar on by.

This is going to sound hopelessly negative but it's not. A more worthwhile goal is to keep your ball in play well enough to enjoy the company of your friends and seeing new (hopefully excellent!) courses.

When you place a scoring expectation on it, every lost ball or bad shot makes you try harder on the next swing. I meant to post a further reply the other day but let me tell you, I've been there. And still go there occasionally.

Here's something my teaching pro buddy clued me in on years ago. Trying harder in golf only works if you have something in reserve that you can call on when you need it. If you're already playing as hard as your game will allow, trying harder will blow up in your face every single time.

He described it as feeling like a truck was bearing down on you on the Interstate so you stomp on the gas to try and get out of the way and instead of going faster the car stalls and coasts to a stop. I think that's a good description. It's better not to stomp on the accelerator in that situation but just pull aside and let that truck roar on by.

Honestly, your first line really struck a chord with me.

My goal should be to strike the ball well and keep it in play and enjoy the trip with my friends.

If that leads to a good score, great, if not, I'm sure I'll still feel good about the rounds if for the most part I'm swinging well and keeping the ball in play.

That needs to become my focus again.

Thank you

I struggle with my driver, hitting it both short AND crooked. Not an ideal combination.

The last couple months I've seen a glimmer of improvement and as silly as it seems one thing I've been doing is saying "It's just a swing" or "Just swing" and taking one free and easy practice swing before hitting my tee shots.

That's sort of verbal shorthand to remind myself that hey, I know how to swing a club and that's all I have to do. It seems to keep me from thinking "don't hit it in the woods" or similar outcome-oriented negative thoughts.

Just wanted to chime in and say that I feel your pain. I only started playing last summer, so I'm about 13 months into my golf journey - currently scoring around 90...lowest of 41 on a 9 hole par 34 this summer. At the beginning, I spent so much time at the range beating balls, trying to figure things out...even thru this past winter, which had quite a few warmer days in the area. I was seeing the same patterns as you are...I was hitting beautiful tight baby fades with my irons, driver when it was on, was going straight. As soon as I took it to the course this spring, it all fell apart. What has ended up happening over the course of the summer...I have not really been to the range at all, but have been playing actual golf...rounds of 9 holes, 18 holes, usually once a week or so (which is what my schedule permits). What I have found is that my game has improved drastically...driver is going consistently, irons...well, I can always get better there, but I'm a high HC...it can always get better. short game is improving...chipping is my biggest weakness.

However...the point of my rambling is...I'm getting better because I'm playing golf in golf situations...uphill lies, downhill lies, out of the rough, ball above my feet, below my feet, hitting around obstacles, hitting mudballs, into the wind, with the wind, into a crosswind, etc. Banging balls off a level, flat mat at the range couldn't teach me these things. Maybe my swing isn't the prettiest, maybe it is, who the hell knows...but I'm scoring better and having a great time doing it.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I gave it a shot, but I think I am done.

My first year I was able to enjoy the rollercoaster because I loved even the tiniest of improvements in my swing/game. It was the progress that kept me coming back for more and more.

This year has been nothing like that. I improved in the very beginning of the season and then sharply regressed over the past couple of months. No matter what feels/intents/drills I tried, I was stuck in a rut and my swing felt like garbage and wasn't nearly as good as it was earlier in the season. Seeing zero improvement is not encouraging, in fact it's extremely discouraging.

I used to love going to the range and working on my swing, now I loathe it. I couldn't even make it through 4 holes of a twilight round by myself without making myself absolutely miserable and frustrated.

For the amount of work I have put in and where my swing is, my misses should be decent, but they're still all over the place and penal.

When I used to have a bad round or range session, I couldn't wait to get back to try it again and improve, there was a fire that was driving me. There is no more fire, no more desire, whatsoever.

I've cancelled my trip to Hilton Head and I'm walking away from the game.

I'm pretty sure I won't be picking up a club again this fall. I don't see myself getting the itch back next spring, but I won't rule it out.

Disappointed I couldn't work through it and find that fire again.

Till next time I guess...

Sorry to hear that. I posted this earlier in the thread but I'm curious if you tried putting your driver in the bag and just leaving it there. Teeing off with a different club that at least gives you better misses. Or are your penal misses with all your clubs? Example for me. A lot of times my miss on driver is a pull draw or a pull hook. If I do that with my hybrid I'm still left rough or just in the tree line where I can still advance it up the fairway. If I miss with the driver I'm in the trees usually punching straight back into the fairway and par is completely out of the question. I usually tee off with hybrid unless a driver is absolutely necessary. At my level I don't even think about going for par 5's in two unless it's under 500 yards. Risk/Reward just isn't there for me.

I agree with others that I think your expectations are way to high for the limited number of rounds you've played. The more you play the better you'll get. It's frustrating at times but It's a long process. Years for most of us. Keep plugging away, it will come.

Well, I gave it a shot, but I think I am done.

My first year I was able to enjoy the rollercoaster because I loved even the tiniest of improvements in my swing/game. It was the progress that kept me coming back for more and more.

This year has been nothing like that. I improved in the very beginning of the season and then sharply regressed over the past couple of months. No matter what feels/intents/drills I tried, I was stuck in a rut and my swing felt like garbage and wasn't nearly as good as it was earlier in the season. Seeing zero improvement is not encouraging, in fact it's extremely discouraging.

I used to love going to the range and working on my swing, now I loathe it. I couldn't even make it through 4 holes of a twilight round by myself without making myself absolutely miserable and frustrated.

For the amount of work I have put in and where my swing is, my misses should be decent, but they're still all over the place and penal.

When I used to have a bad round or range session, I couldn't wait to get back to try it again and improve, there was a fire that was driving me. There is no more fire, no more desire, whatsoever.

I've cancelled my trip to Hilton Head and I'm walking away from the game.

I'm pretty sure I won't be picking up a club again this fall. I don't see myself getting the itch back next spring, but I won't rule it out.

Disappointed I couldn't work through it and find that fire again.

Till next time I guess...

After reading through your thread I'm sorry to see that you've hit this point. I've been there and I think many of our fellow forumites have too. Golf is hard, but it's not impossible with the right approach. If you do come back to this thread I have a few thoughts for you...

1. Shorten your driver to 44" - most amateurs would greatly benefit playing a shorter driver (lots of threads on this topic).
  2. Range mats will hide your swing flaws. You will get away with hits on mats that will not work on a course. Buy a cheap lie board and place it behind the ball with about 1 club head length of space before the ball. Learn how to hit the ball and not the board first. I like using the lie board for this because it won't fly out onto the range.
  3. Get fit for your clubs and, once again, don't be afraid of going shorter. Shorter clubs are easier to hit. Length of a club is not the major factor in the length of your shots. Improving the quality of your strikes should be your goal. Possibly even consider going with Single Length irons.
  4. Find an instructor who is willing to rebuild your entire swing from the ground up (if you're willing to put in the work). It seems that the instructor you have been using is trying to throw fixes at you from week to week. This never worked for me and I doubt it is the best approach for golfers new to the game. You need someone who has the ability to get you to understand the entire golf swing and rebuild your "mind map" of it.
  5. Read through the Arm Swing Illusion thread and I would also suggest buying the book "Decoding the Swing Plane". Our eyes deceive us when viewing golf swings (even in slow motion). You should have several "ah ha" moments if you review this content.

Hopefully you'll give it another go and continue your golf journey. As was stated previously, golf is a wonderful way to spend the day with friends and family, but the enjoyment can be ripped away if your frustration with the game is overflowing. Your frustration can be reduced through education. That's at least been my approach. Good luck.

I was afraid you were coming to this point soon. Sorry to hear it, though.

Sometimes a person takes up the game with expectations that just aren't negotiable. When you can't accept what golf has to offer, it's always the golfer who loses. The game won't "give" no matter how hard we push.

I went through a phase after I'd been playing several years of wanting to "see how good I can get". After a year and a half I decided I either needed to give up on "how good" or give up golf completely. For me the actual playing was fun enough I couldn't walk away. But I've known lots of guys who don't want to do it at all if they can't do it very well.

Something that I tried last winter (indoor driving range-you must have one in new york) was to spend every practice session, trying to hit a ball into a basket or barrel or on a fake green mat, with every iron/wedge in my bag. 5 iron through 60 degree-35 yards and 75 yards.

Only hit driver 5 balls a session.

Never thought about technique, just tried to figure out a way to get the ball in the target.

Read this in Pennick's Little red book. Something he had one of his pro's doing. There are no why's. There are no instructions. Just seemed like the right thing to do.

It forced me too figure out a way to use iron's and wedges in different ways. Gonna do the same thing using longer distances this winter.

The other thing is a Haney tip-100 swings, no ball, two or three times a week. Easy to do indoors. I just think about the swing, not where a ball is going.

Golf is hard. All I try to do is keep the ball in front of me, and findable

May have been said but:

1. Track your rounds. (At least go over each hole when done.)

2. Play to the odds/avoid risk

3. Learn to navigate the course.

Explanation:

Sometimes ugly golf can still be good golf. If hit two stank cuts but are around the green in two, it doesn't matter if you hit two high beautiful shots and ended up in the same place. Tracking the round avoids the thought "I hit it like crap" and thats the reason i shot 100, but shows that actually you never got up and down and had a lot of putts.

Avoid risk. Yes, it looks great and is more fun hit a flop shot tight, but starting out, playing to the fat of the green, and most likely for bogey, keeps the round going instead of a snowman.

Learn to navigate. If it's 160 yards to clear the water, and you hit your 7-iron 160 everytime on the range, but the last four shots you hit were short, club up.

Also, one thought on the range, it's open space, tough to judge distance. So you may hit driver, have it go 230, but think it's 280. then you get on the course and get more excited that you're driver isn't going as far then above actually score. It's great to hit that big driver and talk about it in the clubhouse, but when you tell people you avg. 79 or 81, no one goes, yea, but how far do you did your driver.

• 8 months later...

Well, I'm slowly dipping my toe back into the murky golf waters.

To be honest, I'm dealing with a very painful and drawn out break up and have read about cultivating hobbies is a good way to keep busy and move on.

I have a very obsessive personality, so the last two summers I was obsessed with golf, it consumed me to be honest. Now unfortunately I've been obsessed with this break up and I know I need something to replace that.

All of my friends are golfing and I think I need to pick it back up to keep myself busy and give myself something else to focus on.

I went to the range a few weeks ago and stunk it up. It was perplexing, somewhat comical and even a tiny bit frustrating.

Then I went back and took a quick 30 minute lesson with the assistant pro at the range that I'm very friendly with. He pointed out that while my setup and takeaway motion was still looking great, I was slightly rolling the club face to too much of an open position and suggested that I feel like I am keeping the club face closed towards the ground, take half shot and just work on leaving the club behind me and pivoting into the shot.

This instantly worked. Still working on just letting the pivot do the work and being loose enough in the arms to let the club fall behind me, but by the end of my second range session after the lesson, I was again hitting high beautiful compressed draws at my targets.

I'm not fully committing to coming back just yet, I'd like to work out my swing a bit more, but I'm feeling good that I was able to get my swing back pretty quickly, and hoping that I'll fall in love with the game again

Quit the range and only play the course. For awhile. It will be your only outlet. You'll start to deposit your good play there.

I play the course more than I range bc I live next to a cheap muni and why not.

Only recently been doing more range work since a bout of shanks.

But seriously. It's all about failing until you fail a little less every time.

Quit the range and only play the course. For awhile. It will be your only outlet. You'll start to deposit your good play there.

I play the course more than I range bc I live next to a cheap muni and why not.

Only recently been doing more range work since a bout of shanks.

But seriously. It's all about failing until you fail a little less every time.

This is good advice. Go out when it's not busy, go to those holes where your're struggling and hit a few shots from there. It could be just about being comfortable on the course.

I truly think my biggest thing that destroyed my game was the inability to get off the tee.

Whenever I was able to get off the tee I gained confidence, played some decent golf and was able to enjoy my rounds even though I would still hit bad shots and was only shooting mid 90s.

But 95% of my rounds, I could not get off the tee, which destroyed my confidence, lead to bad shots, and ultimately frustrated me and made me miserable.

I think maybe next time I head to the range, and maybe the rest of the summer, I will devote a serious portion of my time to hitting say my hybrid or 3 wood really well. I'd love to hit driver but maybe focusing on a slightly easier club to hit off the tee and getting really good and confident with it, will allow me to get off the tee on the course, play some decent golf and enjoy it again...

Play more golf. Forget the range.

Obsessing on lessons and range practice while seldom playing golf was what drove you away from the game to start with. Going out and banging drivers on the range ain't gonna work any better this time around.

It will be HUNDREDS of rounds before you don't basically suck at playing golf. True for virtually everyone who has ever played the game. You can not perfect a golf game on the driving range and then take it out and shoot in the 70's on the course with no playing experience. It simply does not work that way.

PLAY MORE GOLF. START TODAY.

The lesson went very well. A minor change to my posture and I was striking the ball great again with every club in the bag. More importantly, my misses were still very solid strikes that would be very playable. Basically my miss was a small to medium fade rather than the draw I hit on my good swings. It really reaffirmed that I know I can be good at this game. At the same time, I've been through this before. I have a great lesson, and then don't play any better and am disappointed, so trying to temper my excitement here.

I do practice putting in my apt year round on a birdie ball green. last year I was able to chip in my apt, but since moving to my new apt, I don't think that will be possible unfortunately even though I'd love to. I try to do some mirror work when working on posture and shoulder turn and things like that as well.

I definitely agree I should be playing this par 3 course more. It was part of my plan this summer, but I feel like I didn't do it quite as much as I wanted to, mostly due to scheduling type things on the weekends. Maybe instead of hitting a medium bucket on the range, I'll hit a small bucket, then go play the par 3.

I have about a month until my trip to Hilton Head. I'd really like to get my game in shape to shoot in the 90s there. That's the goal.

I remember I used to chip in my apartment when I was in grad school. I was renting a garage apartment and my contact on chips became insanely good after awhile. My record was 3 chip-ins in a row on the practice green, haha. (cool)

The cool thing about the wedge game is that it doesn't really leave you. Once you learn that stuff you always have it. The feel can obviously be improved if you're out of practice but it's not like the long game, which can completely fall apart.

Along those lines, try and develop a go-to drive, be it a medium draw or a power fade of some sort. You have to be insanely repeatable with the driver to be a good golfer. That's just how it is. You can't draw one and fade the next. You definitely can't be slicing or hooking it OB. Drives simply go too far to manage it curving even a little both ways. Keep that in mind.

With the irons, try and challenge yourself on the range with targets. Do the two tee drill. From a flat lie your "solid" iron shots need to be landing somewhere right near the flag. The truth is, you shouldn't miss more than a few yards left or right from 150 yards. Don't worry about power. Worry about hitting laser-like shots directly at the target.

Also, I don't believe you need to constantly swap clubs on the range. The best players in the world don't do that. They casually hit a few with each club during warm-up. Usually they're worried about trajectory. They're hit a couple high and then hit a couple low. They might work a little draw then work a little fade.

The constant on each shot is center-face contact and starting the ball on line. Regardless of shot shape, a good iron player will be starting the ball right where he/she intends. The two tee drill is perfect to iron that stuff out and get the contact back into the middle of the face. It's annoying but it always leaves me hitting lasers on the range.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Having a real tough time bringing my range game to the course.

This is my second full season and I am absolutely addicted and have been working EXTREMELY hard on my game.

I’ve been taking lessons from a top 100 instructor who has really helped me build a pretty solid swing for how long I’ve been playing. He has repeatedly told me that I will be a single digit if not better after putting in some miles.

Last season, I spent the whole year working on my swing and finally at the end of the season figured out how to hit my driver. On the range, my friends would joke I’m a scratch player. My lowest score in probably about 12-15 rounds was 100 on the dot, but most of my rounds were littered with OBs, duffed chips, 3 and 4 putts, etc.

Over the winter, I bought a birdie ball putting green and a chipping net and frequently practiced my chipping and putting in my NYC apartment.

I was super excited to start this season, knowing I had built a pretty good swing, figured out driver, and felt a little more competent with a putter or wedge in my hand.

Besides the one round I broke 100 (99), it’s been an extremely, extremely discouraging and frustrating season.

I lost the feel for driver. Although I am able to hit a few good shots with it here and there, there’s 0 consistency. This totally ruins my rounds as I’m often OB or in the woods, which also messes with my confidence. Irons have improved and are good enough to be scoring in the low 90s if not lower, inside 125 has been bad (typically make a good bruising swing, and end of digging a divot to Indonesia), chipping is ok (not putting it to 5 ft everytime but I’m not skulling them or duffing them) putting has seen a decent improvement.

The thing is, I can stripe them on the range. And when I practice, I video my swings and look at the video to see if my feels are giving me the positions/motions I’m working on, I’m aiming at targets. After working on my swing changes, I’ll go driver, iron, wedge, chip. Recently I’ve changed it up to, hitting half a bucket working on irons, then the 2nd half, hitting 3 drivers, then 3 58*, 54* wedges at 3 different distances with each.

I get to the course and I find myself really losing the feel of my swing. There have been multiple times that I’ve gotten to the top of my backswing, felt something funny (but a familiar feeling), knowing I’ll hit a bad shot and have had to stop at the top and reset. I cannot bring my abilities on the range to the course. Just this past weekend, in my warmup on the range, I was hitting everything just how I wanted, nice draws. Even driver!! With no real swing though, just aiming and swinging. I get to the first tee and slice 2 off OB, and my ball striking from there was pretty ugly.

I just don’t understand 1, why I can’ figure out driver and 2 why I can’t bring even half of my range game to the course. It’s becoming very discouraging to the point that I’ve truly not enjoyed playing at times and wanted to quit. Then I obviously shot a 99 and got sucked back in lol

I know there are other threads on bringing your game to the range, but I do practice aiming at targets, and hitting clubs in the order as if I were playing a whole, and it doesn’t seem to help. I’m desperate here! I know I can be a pretty decent golfer and feel I should be much better than where I am right now, especially with the work I put in!

Any advice, suggestions, tips, anything would be so appreciated!

Join a local club or muni or get a multi pack of rounds from a local course. Completely stop going to the range and start practicing on the course. Go alone when there's no one around. Simplify the whole experience by carrying a sunday bag with a reduced set of clubs. Keep 2 extra balls in your pocket and retry shots, and learn from them. Range golf is completely different than Golf Golf. Maybe its a psychological thing. Maybe its the mats hiding fat shots (mats bounce the club through the ball when you fat it, dirt and grass make it stop it dead). Maybe its the fact that when you put your $2-$5 shiny purchased ball on the tee, you have one chance to get it right vs the range, where you can re-load another rock before a bad shot sets into your memory. Maybe you need to show yourself that you can hit some good ones on the course, gain the confidence. All I know is that in my experience, range golf is a completely different game.

You just need to make sure its a quiet time on the course if you are going to hit multiple balls. Also practice alone. Otherwise, its not fair to the folks behind you.

This is my second full season and I am absolutely addicted and have been working EXTREMELY hard on my game.

I’ve been taking lessons from a top 100 instructor who has really helped me build a pretty solid swing for how long I’ve been playing. He has repeatedly told me that I will be a single digit if not better after putting in some miles.

Last season, I spent the whole year working on my swing and finally at the end of the season figured out how to hit my driver. On the range, my friends would joke I’m a scratch player. My lowest score in probably about 12-15 rounds was 100 on the dot, but most of my rounds were littered with OBs, duffed chips, 3 and 4 putts, etc.

Over the winter, I bought a birdie ball putting green and a chipping net and frequently practiced my chipping and putting in my NYC apartment.

I was super excited to start this season, knowing I had built a pretty good swing, figured out driver, and felt a little more competent with a putter or wedge in my hand.

Besides the one round I broke 100 (99), it’s been an extremely, extremely discouraging and frustrating season.

I lost the feel for driver. Although I am able to hit a few good shots with it here and there, there’s 0 consistency. This totally ruins my rounds as I’m often OB or in the woods, which also messes with my confidence. Irons have improved and are good enough to be scoring in the low 90s if not lower, inside 125 has been bad (typically make a good bruising swing, and end of digging a divot to Indonesia), chipping is ok (not putting it to 5 ft everytime but I’m not skulling them or duffing them) putting has seen a decent improvement.

The thing is, I can stripe them on the range. And when I practice, I video my swings and look at the video to see if my feels are giving me the positions/motions I’m working on, I’m aiming at targets. After working on my swing changes, I’ll go driver, iron, wedge, chip. Recently I’ve changed it up to, hitting half a bucket working on irons, then the 2nd half, hitting 3 drivers, then 3 58*, 54* wedges at 3 different distances with each.

I get to the course and I find myself really losing the feel of my swing. There have been multiple times that I’ve gotten to the top of my backswing, felt something funny (but a familiar feeling), knowing I’ll hit a bad shot and have had to stop at the top and reset. I cannot bring my abilities on the range to the course. Just this past weekend, in my warmup on the range, I was hitting everything just how I wanted, nice draws. Even driver!! With no real swing though, just aiming and swinging. I get to the first tee and slice 2 off OB, and my ball striking from there was pretty ugly.

I just don’t understand 1, why I can’ figure out driver and 2 why I can’t bring even half of my range game to the course. It’s becoming very discouraging to the point that I’ve truly not enjoyed playing at times and wanted to quit. Then I obviously shot a 99 and got sucked back in lol

I know there are other threads on bringing your game to the range, but I do practice aiming at targets, and hitting clubs in the order as if I were playing a whole, and it doesn’t seem to help. I’m desperate here! I know I can be a pretty decent golfer and feel I should be much better than where I am right now, especially with the work I put in!

Join a local club or muni or get a multi pack of rounds from a local course. Completely stop going to the range and start practicing on the course. Go alone when there's no one around. Simplify the whole experience by carrying a sunday bag with a reduced set of clubs. Keep 2 extra balls in your pocket and retry shots, and learn from them. Range golf is completely different than Golf Golf. Maybe its a psychological thing. Maybe its the mats hiding fat shots (mats bounce the club through the ball when you fat it, dirt and grass make it stop it dead). Maybe its the fact that when you put your $2-$5 shiny purchased ball on the tee, you have one chance to get it right vs the range, where you can re-load another rock before a bad shot sets into your memory. Maybe you need to show yourself that you can hit some good ones on the course, gain the confidence. All I know is that in my experience, range golf is a completely different game.

You just need to make sure its a quiet time on the course if you are going to hit multiple balls. Also practice alone. Otherwise, its not fair to the folks behind you.

Unfortunately it's not so easy to play like that living in NYC. If I had a car it would maybe be feasible but I don't...

I really think if I can figure out how to hit my hybrid or 3 wood, I would be perfectly fine. Will I be shooting in the 70s? No. But I think if I can get that down, I will have the confidence and ability to get off the tee on the course, hitting good tee shots on the course has always lead to confidence and decent iron play (for me and my level) and enjoyable rounds.

Next time I am back on Long Island I am going to go to that par 3 course and play a couple of balls using these new swing thoughts/feels. I think this is probably a good place to get on course experience. Maybe limit myself to only a small bucket at the range and work on only hybrid, 3w and driver since the mats won't hide any issues with those clubs except hybrid maybe? This way I'm working on my swing mechanics with the longer clubs that will allow me to get off the tee on a full length course, but working on my golf with my irons on the short par 3 course

To reiterate from earlier in the thread, if your geographical and life situation means you are only going to play golf maybe a dozen times a year at best then your only real choice is to reset your expectations. The number of golfers who are able to break 80 without EVER having played a couple hundred rounds is minuscule.There's just no amount of practice that lets a beginner be able to play well purely on practice, without on-course experience.

Most people I know had only broken 100 at most a time or two after playing as much lifetime golf as you've played. And most of them needed at least one good season of playing once or twice a week to be able to routinely break 90. Nobody I've ever met was shooting in the 70's after 20, 30, 40 rounds of golf, lifetime.

Unfortunately it's not so easy to play like that living in NYC. If I had a car it would maybe be feasible but I don't...

I really think if I can figure out how to hit my hybrid or 3 wood, I would be perfectly fine. Will I be shooting in the 70s? No. But I think if I can get that down, I will have the confidence and ability to get off the tee on the course, hitting good tee shots on the course has always lead to confidence and decent iron play (for me and my level) and enjoyable rounds.

Next time I am back on Long Island I am going to go to that par 3 course and play a couple of balls using these new swing thoughts/feels. I think this is probably a good place to get on course experience. Maybe limit myself to only a small bucket at the range and work on only hybrid, 3w and driver since the mats won't hide any issues with those clubs except hybrid maybe? This way I'm working on my swing mechanics with the longer clubs that will allow me to get off the tee on a full length course, but working on my golf with my irons on the short par 3 course

You cant break 100. So you need to focus on an attainable goal: Bogey golf. Thats about a 90. Respectable. In order to achieve this you will need the following:

1) A reliable wedge shot for 100 yards, 80 yards, 60 yards, 40 yards, 20 yards and green side.

2) A good Putting game. (The ability to putt it into to hole or gimme distance everytime you have a putter in your hand is a good goal)

3) A 200-230 yard tee club that rarely goes into the woods (keep it inside a 30 yards imaginary fairway on the range) 3 wood on a mat is fine.

When you are on the course, follow these five rules as best you can and you will eventually shoot a 90:

1. Dont lose your ball/ No penalty drops. It seems that 95% of lost balls are hit from the Tee box. Get that under control.
  2. No Duffs. Begginer golfers give up a lot of strokes to the fat shot/dufferoonie.
  3. Make more one putts! Try to roll that ball into the hole or right next to it every time you have a putter in your hand. Roll it close enough for a gimme.
  4. As you stand on every tee box and look at the hole, ask yourself "Whats the easiest way to get a GIR and a 1 putt?" Not "how far can I hit this driver"

You sound like you might be a bit of a thinker. Being a thinker works on the range, but it can really screw you up on the course. I suggest Going with 3-4 swing thoughts MAX at a time. The every day golf swing doesnt have to be as complitcated as everyone makes it out to be. Sure, if you want to play on tour, you are going to have to clear hard and post and drop it inside and whip it through pure at 113mph like a freeze frame of Spieth or DJ. Fortunate for the rest of us, we can play from the whites and just sweep it around nice and easy all day. If you do that and putt and chip well you'll post a 90. I learned that after hurting my back years ago:

Have three or 4 swing thoughts. This guy might be helpful in choosing the right ones. He had the best career of all time, so you might do well to listen to him. There are 3 videos This is the fist: