(NO BuySellTrade POSTS) (NO POLITICS!) PXG for Heros - special offering to military/active duty/reti

tanker44

Have been playing tour issue P770s, JPX 900 Tours, and S55s. Never hit a PXG club. Worth ordering a set of 0311Ts or will I be disappointed based upon the aforementioned?

I currently play the 770. I hit the 0311p at a demo day a few weeks ago and have been searching for a set of pxg since. I do not qualify for the discount so will probably end up purchasing a pre owned set. If you can hit a demo day that is probably your best route but if not I would order. Everyone has an opinion on if they are worth the money or not.

What were your thoughts between the 770 and 0311p? Obviously you liked the 0311p or wouldn't be looking for a set. I ordered some 0311p but the 770 are the other set that intrigues me. Have never hit either.

I really like my 770s, they are excellent clubs. The pxg side by side were more forgiving and I liked the ball flight better. Any specific questions feel free to DM me.

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure this has been mentioned - but PXG is now offering a pretty steep discount on their irons and 0311 wedges to Military and First-Responders. That being said I'm about 99% sure I'm going to buy a set of the 0311T's to check out. I've looked around at some reviews, but they seem to be hit or miss. Anyone want to weigh in on whether they like the Gen1 irons?

Also - thanks Dr. Parons!

https://www.pxg.com/.../pxg-for-heroes

Ping G425 LST

TSi2

Mizuno 223 4-5, 221 6-P
Mizuno T20 51/55

WedgeWorks 60T Grind
Custom Byron
ProV1x
Instagram : danieljfalcone

I was coming to do a PXG 0311/0311T combo review and this place looks as good as any. First of all, thanks for your service. I'm glad PXG got on board with offering military a great discount. On to my review.

Clubs - PXG 0311 5&6 Iron, PXG 0311T 7-PW

Shafts - Oban CT 115g Stiff, + 1/2", 1* flat

Looks - I think we all know that PXG has a very unique and IMO, beautiful look. They grab your attention. Aside from the screws, they have very clean lines.

Feel - I know this is very subjective. I hit every major iron head out there for the past 2 years. The only one's I did not hit were Miura's. IMO, the PXG feel better than anything out there when you strike the ball well. On mishits, it is a very muted feel, not harsh at all like other smaller irons. I had just purchased a set of JPX 900's a couple weeks ago and was really enjoying them until I ran across a great deal and thought I would give PXG's a try.

Performance - These irons are not as long as JPX 900's, CF16's, G400's, Rogue's or any other new club with jacked up lofts. What they give you is extreme consistency. I took my VC200 launch monitor to the range yesterday to dial in my iron distances. When hit well, my typical shots were within 2 yards of each other. Every club was extremely consistent as long as I put a consistent swing on them. On slight mishits, I only lost about 3-5 yards. On the occasional thin shot (my miss), I lost about 6-8 yards. Very workable. I could hit also flight the clubs very well too (love the Oban CT 115 shafts). When I went out an played 18 yesterday, the results were very similar. My home course is a typical Driver-Wedge course, but has some holes that require good irons to score. Out of 13 shots that were hit with 5i-9i, 10 of them were good shots (GIR or good placement), 2 okay shots (on the fringe within 15 yards of target) and only 1 bad shot (raised up 7 iron that found the greenside bunker). I was able to get a very consistent ball flight and the ball flew well on several holes where I had to play into the wind.

Comparisons - The reason I started looking at PXG is because I hit a friends and loved the feel, but he has talked for months about how consistent they were. I mentioned my VC200 launch monitor. I had Ping G400 irons to start the year and they were power spec'ed. The 7 iron in that set is 28.5. I had Nippon Modus 105 shafts in them (one of my favorite shafts). One swing would result in a 178 yard carry, the next that felt very similar and hit in the same spot on the club face might result in 184 or 171. The distance was great, but that's not what I'm looking for. Same with G700's I demo'ed. Same shots resulted in varying distances. If you are out there just trying to be a gorilla and see how far you can hit the ball, the Ping's are great for that. My JPX 900's had some similar issues. I would flush my 7 iron (31* loft) and it might go 172 yards or it might go 165 yards. The flight was always very similar and the shafts fit well (C-Taper Lite 110 stiff). I was going to play the JPX's all year and see what happened from there until I ran upon a great deal on my PXG's. I'm glad I found them.

Bottom line - I don't care about price, I care about performance. The PXG's are the best performing iron head I hit this year. Very consistent and at this point in my golfing career, that's what I want. Sure I lost a little bit of distance moving to this set, (roughly 7-8 yards per club) but I would rather sacrifice a little bit of distance for the performance and feel. Average round score with my JPX's in 7 rounds was roughly 73 (73.28). 2 rounds with my PXG's and my average is 70. Not enough of a sample size yet, but it's moving in the right direction. I just got in my PXG 3 wood and hybrid and will be testing them against my normal gamers to see, but early results look very promising for those two clubs as well. I have both set at a neutral weight setting with the sleeve at -1* and so far, both are very consistent--- just like my irons.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions. I will do my best to answer them.

AI Smoke Triple Diamond 

HiBore 2w “Unicorn”

G410 3w & 3h

Currently testing the rest 🙂 

I'm sure this has been mentioned - but PXG is now offering a pretty steep discount on their irons and 0311 wedges to Military and First-Responders. That being said I'm about 99% sure I'm going to buy a set of the 0311T's to check out. I've looked around at some reviews, but they seem to be hit or miss. Anyone want to weigh in on whether they like the Gen1 irons?

Also - thanks Dr. Parons!

https://www.pxg.com/.../pxg-for-heroes

Yes Sir!

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1646870-pxg-for-heros-special-offering-to-militaryactive-dutyretiredfamilyfirst-responders/

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I don't understand why they wouldn't let the heroes have the Gen2 irons. If they are golf ho's, they don't want old stuff either.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X 
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 13.5 Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18.0 Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Titleist T100 4-PW Project X 6.5
Titleist Vokey Raw SM8 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T with Black Onyx Tour Issue S400
Bettinardi Inovai 8.0 Black Friday Murdered Out Edition 34.5"

I don't understand why they wouldn't let the heroes have the Gen2 irons. If they are golf ho's, they don't want old stuff either.

I "assume" the deal will eventually include Gen 2 PXG irons.

AI Smoke Triple Diamond 

HiBore 2w “Unicorn”

G410 3w & 3h

Currently testing the rest 🙂 

I've actually have been hitting a friends PXG 0311T irons over the past few weeks. He's somewhere around a 25 (!!!!) handicap, and was given the clubs (generous Dad).

Like everybody says, they're really, really, really nice irons. They look great in the bag. They look great at setup.

I was surprised at how small they seem to be. I suppose it's because I play player's cavity Ping irons, but the 0311Ts are TINY compared to those.

They feel good- but not anything to write home about. I hit them too high, but that's pretty common for me. I also found distance control difficult with them.

Overall, they're fun to hit, but I just don't think I'm a good enough player to put the 0311Ts in the bag.

I'll be that guy...

Since everything is military-inspired and he draws so heavily from that marketing ploy, why wasn't this program in place from the get-go, and why is it only available on certain products?

I'm not exactly sure - Dr. Parsons is a former Marine and as a Marine I think it is really cool naming the clubs after different MOS's (the military occupational specialty - or job code) in the Marine Corps. After hearing what CHIII and Billy Horshel had to say about them on the WRX podcast - I am very interested. And with the discount it is not different than any other manufacturer.

Ping G425 LST

TSi2

Mizuno 223 4-5, 221 6-P
Mizuno T20 51/55

WedgeWorks 60T Grind
Custom Byron
ProV1x

I'll be that guy...

Since everything is military-inspired and he draws so heavily from that marketing ploy, why wasn't this program in place from the get-go, and why is it only available on certain products?

Because I think they needed a way to get good (and cheap) publicity (support the troops/first responders!), eliminate excess inventory, and not look like a complete dolt while doing it.

Before I get flamed by anyone on either side of the PXG fence, my comment purely from a business standpoint and has nothing to do with the price of the clubs themselves.

I'll be that guy...

Because I think they needed a way to get good (and cheap) publicity (support the troops/first responders!), eliminate excess inventory, and not look like a complete dolt while doing it.

Before I get flamed by anyone on either side of the PXG fence, my comment purely from a business standpoint and has nothing to do with the price of the clubs themselves.

No I think you're 100% right. It really is a good way for them to look good in the public light and get rid of inventory, I would agree. I guess since I can get them for cheaper - and want to check them out - I'm just debating whether or not it's worth it.

Ping G425 LST

TSi2

Mizuno 223 4-5, 221 6-P
Mizuno T20 51/55

WedgeWorks 60T Grind
Custom Byron
ProV1x

Ping's military discount appears to be much more genuine. The prices I've seen at military courses are insanely cheap from what I remember.

Ping G410 9 degree Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec 60X
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3 wood Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75x
Srixon Z U65 18 GD Tour AD 95X
Honma 737vn 5-10 DG S400 AMT Tour Issue, 737P 4 iron 
Cleveland RTX4 Raw 60/6, 56/10, 52/10 DG S400 Tour Issue
Ping Vault Anser 2

I'll be that guy...

The "Nothing Is Good Enough" guy? He/the company didn't have to do anything helpful, ever, but did. So why question/minimize it?

I'll be that guy...

The "Nothing Is Good Enough" guy? He/the company didn't have to do anything helpful, ever, but did. So why question/minimize it?

I'll be that guy and state the obvious. Bob Parsons is as tacky as they come and the brand reflects that.

Ping G410 9 degree Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec 60X
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3 wood Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75x
Srixon Z U65 18 GD Tour AD 95X
Honma 737vn 5-10 DG S400 AMT Tour Issue, 737P 4 iron 
Cleveland RTX4 Raw 60/6, 56/10, 52/10 DG S400 Tour Issue
Ping Vault Anser 2

I'll be that guy...

Because I can, and this is a fun golf forum where people can discuss things. Is Bob above being questioned? Lol.

I didn't say he needed to do more, I just questioned why he didn't do this before. Big difference.

As far as "nothing is good enough," you might be surprised there are quite a few things that are plenty good enough for me. I've been in business long enough to know that no one is owed anything. I don't expect a discount, trust me.

I, along with others, are just pointing out it's probably a thinly-veiled way to dump inventory without making it look like a discount is needed. Instead, Bob is doing it "for the troops." It's not asking for more discount - I probably will never be in PXG's demographic - it's just analyzing the motives/economics of the discount.

Is there a more appropriate place to discuss this?

I think all companies should do this, military and first responders are heroes in my mind. Thank you OP for your service, without people like you we wouldn't be here playing golf.

I come from a family that had people serve, my Pap in WW2 and my BIL was a career man in the Air Force.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I think all companies should do this, military and first responders are heroes in my mind. Thank you OP for your service, without people like you we wouldn't be here playing golf.

I come from a family that had people serve, my Pap in WW2 and my BIL was a career man in the Air Force.

TaylorMade gives military and veterans 15% off through ID.ME

I'll be that guy...

Because I can, and this is a fun golf forum where people can discuss things. Is Bob above being questioned? Lol.

I didn't say he needed to do more, I just questioned why he didn't do this before. Big difference.

As far as "nothing is good enough," you might be surprised there are quite a few things that are plenty good enough for me. I've been in business long enough to know that no one is owed anything. I don't expect a discount, trust me.

I, along with others, are just pointing out it's probably a thinly-veiled way to dump inventory without making it look like a discount is needed. Instead, Bob is doing it "for the troops." It's not asking for more discount - I probably will never be in PXG's demographic - it's just analyzing the motives/economics of the discount.

Is there a more appropriate place to discuss this?

I mean - all I wanted to know was how everyone liked their set - so if we could stick to that, I'd appreciate it.

Ping G425 LST

TSi2

Mizuno 223 4-5, 221 6-P
Mizuno T20 51/55

WedgeWorks 60T Grind
Custom Byron
ProV1x

How much is the PXG discount?

Pretty significant - significant enough for me to seriously consider getting a set vs another brand.

Thank you for the support!

Ping G425 LST

TSi2

Mizuno 223 4-5, 221 6-P
Mizuno T20 51/55

WedgeWorks 60T Grind
Custom Byron
ProV1x

You might be right about/justified in everything you wrote here. In your first post, though, you equated actual commitment to and interest in helping the military to the timing Parsons/PXG rolled out the program and the items covered in it. I think that's unfair, given that the guy was a Marine (and I wasn't), and that he's running a business.

I'd simply prefer to see a separate "Parsons is a jackWord not allowed," or "Parson's business tactics are shifty" thread than see his dedication to the military questioned in a thread about a program that assists military personnel that was posted by a Marine.

How much is the PXG discount?

50% on 1st gen irons and wedges

I was wondering the same thing. Whoa. That's a serious discount.

You might be right about/justified in everything you wrote here. In your first post, though, you equated actual commitment to and interest in helping the military to the timing Parsons/PXG rolled out the program and the items covered in it. I think that's unfair, given that the guy was a Marine (and I wasn't), and that he's running a business.

I'd simply prefer to see a separate "Parsons is a jackWord not allowed," or "Parson's business tactics are shifty" thread than see his dedication to the military questioned in a thread about a program that assists military personnel that was posted by a Marine.

I don't think he's a jackass, I don't think he's shifty, I don't even care what his clubs cost. I certainly didn't question his dedication to the military. There is no shortage of articles about Bob and the Semper Fi Fund, for which he has raised millions of dollars.

In a thread literally about the discount, I don't think it is inappropriate to speculate on the real reasons for the discount- maybe that sales are stagnant or there is excess inventory?

At request of the OP, fine, we can drop it. But come on, someone can respect a guy's business savvy and military service while taking an objective look at the reasons why something is happening.

Let's just bury the hatchet. Can I get a Kapow?

Whether there are alternative motives for the company or not, I'm glad to see programs like this for those who deserve it the most. Hopefully in the future they can offer a tiered program, 50% off prior generation, 25% off current. Still a ton of money on most military budgets but still a good program. Maybe 60-65% off 2 prior generations, haha. They got the ball rolling, lets see where it goes.

Ping's military discount appears to be much more genuine. The prices I've seen at military courses are insanely cheap from what I remember.

While I don’t have Ping clubs, I really do appreciate their pricing strategy. It’s fair (seemingly so), and it’s kind of “here it is. Rare discounts if any”. Their military discount is nice for sure (as is any company who makes that gesture, in my opinion)

While I don’t have Ping clubs, I really do appreciate their pricing strategy. It’s fair (seemingly so), and it’s kind of “here it is. Rare discounts if any”. Their military discount is nice for sure (as is any company who makes that gesture, in my opinion)

10 bucks an iron......TM is 15% ....either way I guess