2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

New PING fitting chart

gulpeg

Admittedly haven't looked that hard, but since I haven't seen this posted yet, I though I'd put it out.

In updating my PING fitter's certification, there is now a new color coded chart for 2017. After years of information, PING has "simplified" this chart to 1° increments for lie angle and more specifically sectioned out the height measurement. In doing so they eliminated 2 past color codes, PURPLE on the low end and YELLOW on the high end of black being "standard". PING recommends looking at where your measurements fall on the chart and if outside the "S" curve (indicated by black lines) move accordingly to get as close to it as possible.

Keep in mind this is a static fitting system and PING and a good fitter would use as a jumping off point for fitting irons. A good qualified fitter should be able to help hone in on the proper fit based on the dynamic fitting of hitting balls.

Hope this helps.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So this is basically the old fitting chart that they used 8 years ago?

I wonder what the new "standard" code will be for the SGI irons, green?

Will the standard lie angle change slightly as a starting point?

I am kind of traumatized by this. :) I played green for years (my static fit) but then went to yellow when they made the switch, the yellow seemed to fit me perfectly.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I think this is pretty bad, and not just because I play yellow dot irons. Most OEMs offer lie angle adjustments in one-degree increments. What was special about Ping's system was that it was slightly more granular. It resulted in weird numbers (.75, 1.5, 2.25), but the color system simplified things. Now they might as well do away with the colors.

As someone who responds best to 1* upright, I would be pleased with this change. I generally play blue dot, which is generally fine, but I would prefer to just be a full 1* upright and call it a day. Yellow dot has always been a bit too upright for me. If they are not going to go back to black dot, I would think that blue dot would become the "standard" color. 2* upright is simply too upright to be "standard" IMO.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* Driver, GD Tour AD HD-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

Callaway Epic Flash TC 5 Wood, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘23 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

PXG Battle Ready 2 One & Done PN Putter

Still don't see the online web-fit. Someone posted that they are redoing their website and will include it. They must have the slowest software ppl on the planet as it was pulled 2 months ago. But according to the chart posted by the OP, black still works for me.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

When is this going into effect? Literally just had my clubs adjusted to a purple dot yesterday

Do you think they will re-adjust themselves to red dot? :)

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Still don't see the online web-fit. Someone posted that they are redoing their website and will include it. They must have the slowest software ppl on the planet as it was pulled 2 months ago. But according to the chart posted by the OP, black still works for me.

Yea, their website is less than stellar right now; many missing features that I hope come back.

When is this going into effect? Literally just had my clubs adjusted to a purple dot yesterday

I was recently fit, last Saturday (24th) and they were already using the new chart. He said it was not official yet, but told me which colors would be removed and use this chart. For me, it didn't really change anything.

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently ordered a new set of i200s with Recoil 110 F5s. I have been having elbow issues and tried a set of Z765s with Modus 3 120X to see if they were smoother, and the elbows actually seem worse.

I have been very confused over the new/old charts and recommended static recommendations. I have been playing slightly flat lie angles for awhile (maybe that has been a mistake, just don't want to hook the ball), and ordered red dot +1/4 based on my own experience, didn't think I needed a fitting.

But after looking at the chart, I went back in and hit several with different lengths/lie angles on the lie board, and sure enough, I was digging the toe in on the red dot, and what was recommended was the one that seemed to be dead on, which was blue +1/2 inch. I went and changed my order. My shafts are special order, so the clubs won't be here for several weeks, I will see how they are when they get here. I did hit the same loft/lie spec with the AWT 2.0 out on the range yesterday, and to my surprise, I don't think I hooked a single one, they seemed to want to go right if anything.....

For an explanation of the new chart, here is a video from PING I just found:

2017 Color Code Chart - US Version

Surprised it only has 424 views.....

Here is where I found the video, a nice blog that explains the changes:

http://www.golfhq.co...ot-colors-mean/

Here is the heart of it:

New PING Color Code Chart Change FAQs

• What is the reason for this color code change?
    • PING and its iconic Color Code Chart set the standard for custom-fitting systems nearly 50 years ago and it continues to be the method of choice for club fitters around the world. Through decades of fittings and research, PING has evolved the Color Code Chart with the goal of delivering the most accurate and comprehensive iron fittings in golf.

The updated Ping Color Code Chart will allow the fitter to deliver a more accurate fit, especially at the extremes of height and wrist-to-floor measurements. By removing the length-lie dependency, fitters no longer need to convert color codes when adding or removing shaft length.

• What has changed?
    • The length-lie dependency has been removed by changing color code bands to an “S-shape”.
    • Each color code has a fixed lie angle irrespective of club length. This removes the need for converting color codes when using non-standard-length clubs with the AFS system.
    • Color codes have moved to 1° increments to simplify lie-angle offerings.
    • Yellow and Purple color codes have been removed.
    • Updated length recommendations better align static recommendations with dynamic fitting results. Height columns are now scaled for easier use and overlaps are removed.

• How is it more precise?
    • By analyzing over 20,000 fittings from our nFlight database, combined with years of research, we have made data-driven changes to better align static and dynamic fittings, particularly with respect to players’ length recommendations.
    • 75% of players will fit to a dynamic color code within one of the new static recommendation compared to 70% previously, while 95% will fit within two color codes compared to 90% on the previous color code system.

• How is it simpler?
    • Removing the length-lie dependency eliminates the need to convert color codes when building AFS heads at over/under standard length.
    • It also removes the need to convert back when ordering clubs at over/under standard length after a fitting using our AFS system.
    • Removing height overlaps and scaling eliminates ambiguity.
    • Plotting height and wrist-to-floor measurements for a static recommendation is more intuitive.

• Why do I need to fit length before color code now?
    • Previously, with the length-lie dependency, PING would adjust lie angle for the color code depending on the length of the club when ordering.
    • However, by removing the length-lie dependency to simplify the building of AFS clubs and the ordering process, PING no longer does this conversion. This means that if the length changes, the color code will likely need to change too.

• Can a golfer order a new set based off their previous specs?
    • New set orders can be placed only on the new color code system. PING always recommends being fit. However, using the conversion chart we can calculate the new color code based off a previous set. The actual lie angle of the clubs will be almost identical, even though the color code may be different. There will be no difference in the performance of the clubs. This applies to all models on new orders.

• Can a player’s old set be moved on to the new color code system? Can a player’s new set be moved on to the old color code system?
    • No, all sets must remain on the same color code system they are built on. If the set was built on the previous system, it must remain on that system.

• If a player loses a club or wants to repair/replace/fill-in clubs to a previous set built on the previous color code system, can the player order these on the old color code system to match?
    • Yes! PING will use the serial number to identify the specs of the set and will build the replacement/repair/fill-in clubs on the old color code system to match.
    • Even if the player was yellow or purple we can still replace or add clubs to that set, provided it was built on the old color code system.

• How do I know which color code system a set of clubs was built on?
    • Using the serial number located on the hosel of the club we can quickly determine which color code system the clubs belong to.
    • Any clubs whose serial number starts with the letter ‘A’ were built on the new color code system; clubs with serial numbers not starting with ‘A’ were built on the previous system.

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour X L-Neck 35

Srixon-Z Star XV

Nice.. PING does it their way but they are always improving on their craft even if it is minimal. Just a great OEM!

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I think Ping is trying to simplify things a bit - one would be to reduce the number of color code choices. Another would be to use off-the-shelf grips (new G400s have Golf Pride Tour Velvet or Tour Velvet Cord rather than custom logo Ping grips) ... all to help the bottom line I would imagine.

The Navy Vessel IV Pro bag:

Woods: Ping G425 Max Driver / 5w / 7w / 4h / 5h Alta CB Slate R

IronsPing G710 6-UW Ping Alta Quick 45 R

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 54° WS / 58° Eye2 Z-115

Putter: Seemore PCB 33"

Back-up bag:

G25 Driver, 4w, 4h TFC 189 R / Ping Eye2+ 3-9 Aldila Low Torque Graphite / PW-SW KT Steel

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 Rossie 33"

Eliminating the length-lie dependency and going to a fixed lie angle per color code is a huge change for Ping.

This was so confusing to most people.

I think it will simplify things going forward and brings Ping in line with the rest of the industry.

When they added the Purple and Yellow lie angles a few years ago and went to 0.75 lie angle changes I thought it was unnecessary so I am glad they are going back to 1 degree increments.

To me this just means I have to order length and lie of each club now. I like mine +1.5" to +2.25" over. See my sig. I could spec the length and Ping would adjust the lie properly for whatever length club I had -- whether I wanted maroon or silver dot. Now I'll spec the length and my super long desires, and most clubs will be green, maybe some blue and some white, depending on how over length each particular club is. No one in their right mind should be playing a club that is more than 3º upright. Add all the length you want but 2º-3º upright is the absolute max no matter how tall. No one should ever even see a maroon or silver dot any more. Ping can build clubs +2" -- mine came from them that way. Chart should just go ahead and go that far. I'm "only" 6'5". It's sort of a shame; the last color dot system really worked great from a logic perspective, but was too smart for the public and industry.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Admittedly haven't looked that hard, but since I haven't seen this posted yet, I though I'd put it out.

In updating my PING fitter's certification, there is now a new color coded chart for 2017. After years of information, PING has "simplified" this chart to 1° increments for lie angle and more specifically sectioned out the height measurement. In doing so they eliminated 2 past color codes, PURPLE on the low end and YELLOW on the high end of black being "standard". PING recommends looking at where your measurements fall on the chart and if outside the "S" curve (indicated by black lines) move accordingly to get as close to it as possible.

Keep in mind this is a static fitting system and PING and a good fitter would use as a jumping off point for fitting irons. A good qualified fitter should be able to help hone in on the proper fit based on the dynamic fitting of hitting balls.

Hope this helps.

So, I am 6'3" and

Hope this helps.

A little confused, so I am 6'3" and my wrist to floor is 39, what is my color code??

Hope this helps.

So, I am 6'3" and

Hope this helps.

A little confused, so I am 6'3" and my wrist to floor is 39, what is my color code??

Looking at the chart you fall out of the normal range. You will go to 6' 3" and 39" WTF you end up between silver an maroon and +1/2". However, since it is outside the brackets on the chart, a fitter would start you at White color code. (slide to the right to get inside brackets) The static measurement gives the fitter an idea where to start. Sometimes it is pretty close and other times it is not. Go get properly fit and you will know what your correct code is!

• 5 months later...
Need help. I used the nflight on the ping site and it suggests I go with red dot and .5 shorter shaft. I am 5 10 and my wrist to floor is 32. If I examine the chart in this video I get orange dot and standard length?

Similar Boat. I'm 5'9 and 31 wrist to floor (sans shoes) it had me at - .5 and Red. I'm OK with flatter clubs as that's what I play currently but I don't think I need to go .5 down in length.

Need help. I used the nflight on the ping site and it suggests I go with red dot and .5 shorter shaft. I am 5 10 and my wrist to floor is 32. If I examine the chart in this video I get orange dot and standard length?

Similar Boat. I'm 5'9 and 31 wrist to floor (sans shoes) it had me at - .5 and Red. I'm OK with flatter clubs as that's what I play currently but I don't think I need to go .5 down in length.

Ping has never said to rely on their chart 100% ... It is to be used in conjunction with a fitting. It's a static fitting tool and shouldn't take the place of an active fitting.

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

• 1 year later...

Plus - I believe Ping revised their chart a couple years ago, but more importantly, the 5 upright is just for their own product. I don’t know what Ping’s standard is, but this is an area lots of golfers get into trouble. They think their specs travel. They don’t. Howard pointed that out above - there is no standard. From the actual measurements, to how they are measured. So your Ping + 5 could be a TM + 2 for all we know...not to mention fitting isn’t a one and done thing. You shouldn’t rely on a fitting from years ago regardless.