We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Orange Whip - Worth It Or Skip It?

Comments

• sumo-sansumo-san  240Members Posts: 240
    You can swing it as hard as you want but I think it is more to do with transition than tempo. You can't rush from the top due to the weight of the whip which allows the hips to move first but you need to allow the whip to set fully first.

What do you mean by fanning the club open?
    Posted:
    Taylormade M1 430 Aldila Rogue Silver 70s
    Titleist 917 f2 Fujikura Speeder TS 84s
    Titleist AP2 3-Pw AMT s300
    Vokey SM6 tour chrome 50, 54, 58 s200
    Taylormade Daddy Long Legs +
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • EzgolferEzgolfer  3172Members Posts: 3,172
    it's great training aid ... money worth spent ....

Posted:
  • chsneggschsneggs chsneggs  79Members Posts: 79
    Thank you Ben, you are the orange whip wizzzzard .....
    Posted:
    Ping G 10 stock reg
    Titleist 910 project X
    Yonex 19*
    eye 2 1986 3 - lw
    odyssey 9 counterbalanced
    WITB Link
  • EzgolferEzgolfer  3172Members Posts: 3,172
    Ben is an amazing guy ...

Google him and you will know why ?
    Posted:
  • talksalot81talksalot81  255Members Posts: 255
    sumo-san wrote:

Instead of the wrist cocking on plane, it 'fans open' and laid off. This is no fault of the OW, it is just down to my tendency combined with the weight.
    Posted:
  • CwingCwing #TaylorMade TwistFace Experience 2018 Go Big Blue!!! 8x Champs. Who Dey !!! Go Bengals, 8209Members Posts: 8,209
    Ezgolfer wrote:

Ben is an amazing guy ...

Google him and you will know why ?

Ben who?
    Posted:
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5”
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    Cleveland RTX 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Advertisement
  • sumo-sansumo-san  240Members Posts: 240

sumo-san wrote:

Instead of the wrist cocking on plane, it 'fans open' and laid off. This is no fault of the OW, it is just down to my tendency combined with the weight.

My tendency would be slightly across the line which the Whip doesn't fix directly.

I think the Orange Whip is very good for teaching the overall feeling of a golf swing in particular correct transition and release.

You will still have a tendency to swing your swing with it though.

My best progress has come after lessons.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M1 430 Aldila Rogue Silver 70s
    Titleist 917 f2 Fujikura Speeder TS 84s
    Titleist AP2 3-Pw AMT s300
    Vokey SM6 tour chrome 50, 54, 58 s200
    Taylormade Daddy Long Legs +
  • GolfahGolfah  317Members Posts: 317
    I may be in the minority but I do not like the orange whip at all because I felt it was so easy to cheat it with very poor techinque.

Bought it, tried it, sold it after I realized I was probably grooving a hellacious stall and flip.

Better solution: Impact bag, nerf ball between the forearms, lather, rinse, repeat.
    Posted:
  • Little NedLittle Ned  1135Members Posts: 1,135

The original .... Or a cheap knock off? Check your bag, are you playing copies of quality clubs or name brand originals.

If price is the issue please feel free to use "PuttDoc" as a coupon code for a little cost savings.

Buy made in the USA and keep Americans working in South Carolina!

Had no idea this was made in SC!
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Cobra F8 7W
    Cobra F8 4H
    Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
    Callaway MD3 54*
    Callaway MD PM 58*
    Ping Sigma G Tyne
  • lenman73lenman73  833Members Posts: 833
    Due to the reviews on here i just ordered one this week. I am excited to get it and start working with it. If i gain an ounce of flexibility then it was worth it.
    Posted:
  • JDFishJDFish Pickerington, Ohio 904Members Posts: 904
    Love it. Since we have the 1st tee time in the morning I don't hit range balls - I'm not willing to get up that early on a Saturday. I use it to warm up pre-round and usually hit the ball great for the first few holes because I have my best tempo after swinging it image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic 9.0 Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6S
    Callaway XR Pro 3 wood
    Callaway XR 5 wood
    Taylormade GAPR 3 Mid KBS 80 S
    Ping i200 Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105S - 4-UW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54* and 58* S200
    Evnroll ER8 33"

Advertisement
  • jimb6golfjimb6golf  1668Members Posts: 1,668
    Is the SKLZ trainer just as good? It costs a lot less and might be an option.
    Posted:
  • Petunia SprinklePetunia Sprinkle Future King of France  5362Unregistered Posts: 5,362

Sometimes my hands get too fast at the the start of my downswing swing which results in a pull.

It seems the Orange Whip can help out with this fault. Anyone currently using it and if so what do you think about it?

Thanks!

Why not just work on trying different speeds with your hands if you already suspect that’s a problem?
    Posted:
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War  3159Members Posts: 3,159
    jimb6golf wrote:

orange whip counterbalancing is more effective. Preferred.
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 Camo/LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ 
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Srixon Z-Forged 120x 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 
  • SardoSardo  27Members Posts: 27
    I have a OW and I am a very happy user.

As many said, it is a great warm up tool and it helps you with tempo. I am not sure if it increases club head speed or just increases ball speed due to a better impact.

I have not owned it for very long but I am committed to use in the next months.
    Posted:
  • lenman73lenman73  833Members Posts: 833
    I made a few swings with mine for the first time yesterday where a spot in the driveway had the snow melt enough to where I could stand without slipping. I left not knowing if I did it right or not. I never tried rushing it. But it did feel like it would be a great preround warm up tool. Once spring ever gets here I plan on giving it the full team try. I am working on changing my grip this winter and was able to swing it with my new grip without hurting it or myself so there is that.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • PureSlicePureSlice  98Members Posts: 98
    I picked one up and only had the chance to swing it a few times. I think it helped me feel the pressure change between feet while swinging it and sequencing. Not sure if it will translate or carry over to the course or not, probably have another month before I find out.
    Posted:
  • argee1977argee1977  297Members Posts: 297
    As with all training aids, it can be used for good or bad practice. I use the sklz trainer in a similar way to the orange whip, it gives me better feel for connection of the arms and body, it gives me the feel for sequencing on the downswing and it gives me the feel for how my grip and arm pressures should be through the swing, which allows me to release more naturally.

Weaknesses it does bring is that it can get you swaying a bit if you do it without thinking, and for me, it can groove quite an in to out path or hitting too up on the ball, which again needs to be factored in before using it.

I like using it prior to a round to warm up, but always hit a few iron shots before going out, the biggest thing i've learnt using these types of training aids is that you need to think about what you're doing beforehand, just swinging it backwards and forwards might loosen you up, but it can lead to hooking that first shot off the tee, i've been there!
    Posted:
  • DLev45DLev45  234Members Posts: 234
    I re-aggravated a bulging disc in early January so I have not been able to play for the past month. My chiropractor actually recommended I buy an Orange Whip for core training and to learn how to swing rhythmically to better avoid future injury, and for the course warm-up aspect.

When I received it, I watched the videos and saw how the instructors just use their turn to let it swing back and forth with no tension, and how they let it load at the top. When I actually picked mine up and actually mimicked this, it was a completely different feeling than the swing I had been playing golf with for the past 2 years.

Then I picked up my driver and 8-iron and swung them like the Orange Whip and couldn't believe how different the clubs felt. I didn't even realize how herky-jerky and tense I was with my swing before. I had always been told "relax your arms so you can feel the weight of the club head" but it never clicked.

I couldn't be happier with the purchase. I'll probably suck once I finally hit a ball again because I had grooved my old swing and most people get worse before the get better with a swing change. But I'm really excited and ready to get back out there.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • glkglk send it in jerome Kodak, Tn/Chucktown, Sc via Chicago & Burgh 3702Members Posts: 3,702
    I have an orange whip. My take is that it is good for sequence and path but horrible for face control and low point control. And it's is a good warm up but as someone mentioned it would be good to hit a few after warming up with it (even if they are just short pitches).
    Posted:

Enjoy every sandwich.

• gatorMDgatorMD Hacker-in-Chief  4564ClubWRX Posts: 4,564
    bump, consensus on these??? good or bad? thinking about grabbing one to warm up with/swing at work
    Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 9 Tour AD MT 6
    3W: TM M2 Tour AD MT 7
    Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/19 Tour AD DI
    Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-9 Tour V
    Wedges: SM7 46F, 50F, 54F, and 60K KBS Tour
    Putter: SC Newport 3
    Ball: AVX/ProV1

Advertisement
  • hybrid25hybrid25 michigan 1587Members Posts: 1,587
    To me just a burden in the bag that I don't need. If I want to loosen up with a little extra weight I can grab two irons and swing them together easily. I can also work on my tempo with those two irons as well because it slows me down and helps me think about tempo. Having that contraption sticking out of my bag it's not something I want. Maybe at home swinging in the backyard, but I wouldn't tote it to the golf course.
    Posted:
  • jc4birdiejc4birdie  96Members Posts: 96
    For $50, I got the 48” Rukket Red Head....it’s just another version of the OW concept. I also have the 40” Sklz Gold Flex, which is more like an iron hippy for an avg height man....I’m 5’11”. I love it for tempo and feeling the lower body initiate and drive the swing motion. I use it to warmup, do dynamic stretches before play and practice. Red Head is on Amazon.
    Posted:
  • Outpost31Outpost31 Why don't we just wait here awhile...see what happens...  326Members Posts: 326
    How many swings do y'all do with this? I did 100 3 days in a row and my neck & back were killing me. Started doing 50 every other day seems to be a little better.
    Posted:
  • Shifty76Shifty76  349Members Posts: 349
    urkslaven wrote:

How many swings do y'all do with this? I did 100 3 days in a row and my neck & back were killing me. Started doing 50 every other day seems to be a little better.

I do maybe 10 before a round, though when I was playing more I'd swing it for around 15 mins a night. Yeah, my back was pretty sore the first little while too as I wasn't used to stretching that much.
    Posted:
  • leekgolfleekgolf  1175Members Posts: 1,175
    jimb6golf wrote:

I have both an Orange Whip and a SKLZ trainer. I like the SKLZ trainer better.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • SirFuegoSirFuego  244Members Posts: 244
    I just got the 40" SKLZ flex golf for home garage use. The gym I go to has both the 40 and 48. Have really only used them for a couple weeks. I have not tried the Orange Whip.

Some things of note:
    1. It's really helped me to get the feeling of shallowing the shaft in transition that I had not been able to get with any other training aid/drill. I knew I was coming over the top and I knew I needed to relax my arms and wrists more, but I could not figure out how to actually do it until I started using the SKLZ. It didn't just "magically" happen, but I was trying to make the SKLZ swing as smoothly as possible and the only way I could do that was to shallow the shaft and turn hard with my body.
    2. I can feel the club release early (or at least fight me) if I don't turn hard enough with my body or I'm not on plane in the downswing.
    3. I can "see" the path from the motion blur (or whatever the correct term is) of the yellow ball through what would be the impact area.
    4. When I'm at the gym, I'll take a few swings with both lengths in between sets. Swinging both lengths close to each other gives me a good feeling of shallowing the club correctly on the different swing planes you'll get with an iron and driver.
    5. I'll swing it on my dominant and non-dominant sides. Not sure if that is actually helping, but given what I've read about Superspeed golf and why they have you do both sides, I figured it's not going to hurt anything.
    6. My first range session where I tried to replicate the SKLZ swing with an actual club was very promising. I was hitting small pushes instead of like I normally would. I did have a tendency to overdo it sometimes and (feel like) I was coming too far from the inside, but I was able to correct that pretty quickly. So hopefully I'll be able to get enough reps to get the proper feeling ingrained.

Has anyone tried to regrip one of these? I'd prefer a larger grip. I got out the digital calipers and the shaft is smaller than normal, but it's close enough that a couple layers of tape seems like it could remedy that. However, I was reading an Amazon Q&A saying that there is actually a smaller white shaft inside the grip that makes it not possible to regrip without building it up in some way. Wasn't sure if there are too many layers to do that safely.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • platgofplatgof platgof  1774ClubWRX Posts: 1,774
    These are very popular in my group. I didn't try it, but need one for iron training, probably get the shorter one. The guy I was playing with warmed up with one, and topped everything afterwards?
    Posted:

Gold Star 12*
    5 & 7 F9 FW Wds
    5 ,6, & 7 OS Hybrids
    7-PW F9 Irons
    AW, SW, LW Glide
    Spyder Pro C/S Putter
    B330RX

• ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CA 5881Members Posts: 5,881
    Joseph Mayo apparently uses these on the lesson tee. That should say something.

Posted:
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black

Advertisement
  • HardrainHardrain  61Members Posts: 61
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.