Taylormade new Ball for 20019 ?

It might just be me but how can a ball be both piercing and high flighted? Seems like you could have one of the other not both.

If you followed the original LDP ball years ago which the USGA said was non conforming, it was this dimple pattern. More piercing at high speed and as speed dropped and ball descended it stayed in the air longer due to less drag. So it is possible.

New Bag in the making...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might just be me but how can a ball be both piercing and high flighted? Seems like you could have one of the other not both.

Piercing doesn't mean low. It just means that it easily goes into or through something. If you're able to sufficiently reduce drag, it's possible to have a ball that cuts through the air and does it at a higher launch angle.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

As soon as I seen the title and there were 7 replies I thought to myself "I wonder how many times he's been ridiculed for the typo?" 5 out of the 7 ain't bad. WRX never disappoints..
You would have been wrong. Nobody ridiculed the OP for the typo, they simply made funnies about it in a non-personal way. If he (or you) took the jokes personally, well... No two snowflakes are alike.
The irony here is fantastic Also if we want to mock a company for changes their "balls" often lets look at the Callaway chrome soft. The ball that changed the ball, that changed the ball, that changed the ball.
but there is GRAPHENE in it so you know its good....

So good that Patrick Reed tore up his Callaway contract, kept the irons in the bag, and used a Pro V1 (maybe it was a Pro V1x) to win The Masters!

Piercing doesn't mean low. It just means that it easily goes into or through something. If you're able to sufficiently reduce drag, it's possible to have a ball that cuts through the air and does it at a higher launch angle.

What causes higher launch? More spin generated lift? If so it will balloon going into the wind. I'm really not sure what determines launch angle with a ball.

What causes higher launch? More spin generated lift? If so it will balloon going into the wind. I'm really not sure what determines launch angle with a ball.

As I understand it, it's all about the way the multi-layer core is constructed. The larger core is made of soft compression layers that allow the ball to stay on the face just a hair longer at the high impact speeds of drivers and irons. This causes the ball to launch a little higher and also has the benefit of taking off spin. The result is a ball that takes a more optimal trajectory up to its peak height because the reduced spin lowers drag.

The obvious problem with this, of course, is that a marshmallow doesn't fly very far when struck with a driver, so softer compression cores aren't the be-all end-all if some other layer in the ball can't preserve the speed from the force of impact. It's the job of the outer layers of the ball to turn that force into ball speed.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

The dimple pattern and number of dimples also determines the launch. In simplest terms, the more dimples, the lower the ball will fly.

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

The dimple pattern and number of dimples also determines the launch. In simplest terms, the more dimples, the lower the ball will fly.

You sure? TP5X and TP5 have 322 dimples. Both have different flight characteristics.

The new ones have this amount as wel.

I'm not an expert but I think the combo of dimples (size, depth and number), construction (layers and firmness) and overall compression all play a part in launch/flight/spin.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

You sure? TP5X and TP5 have 322 dimples. Both have different flight characteristics.

I'm not an expert but I think the combo of dimples (size, depth and number), construction (layers and firmness) and overall compression all play a part in launch/flight/spin.

The dimples are certainly an important component of a ball's aerodynamic profile during flight, but they don't play a role in the initial launch and spin given to the ball at impact. That part is all about the impact and the transfer of energy from the club to the ball, which is controlled by the composition of the ball (and club).

This is the point I was trying to make above. You can have two balls with the same dimples (TP5 and TP5x), yet they'll have different performance characteristics due to the construction of the ball. Some people still laugh at TaylorMade's 5 layer construction, but it all has a purpose.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

Oh I completely agree, pal. IHFN stated only the number of dimples and size determine both factors. I was fully aware of everything else stated which is why I disagreed with his statement. The compression, construction, dimple size, depth, number, and I'm sure to some degree, the dimple patter all impact a balls flight and launch as well as drag.

Looking forward to the new ball!

Something that's worth noting about the 2019 TP5/TP5x is that the compression for the TP5x has gone up (TP5 is still the same 85 compression). The original TP5x was 90 compression, but the new ball is 97. It feels noticeably firmer off irons and driver, but it's still supposed to have better green side spin than the prior ball. Unfortunately, we had a lot of rain at the Kingdom on the day I was out there, so I was unable to do any short game testing to verify the green side performance.

Durability is definitely improved with the new paint system they're using.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

As soon as I seen the title and there were 7 replies I thought to myself "I wonder how many times he's been ridiculed for the typo?" 5 out of the 7 ain't bad. WRX never disappoints..

I seen something wrong in your post, too...

(These responses ARE hilarious. Good times!)

Lol. Yep...i seen it too.

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Let me guess, the balls will be $54.99? $64.99?

SPR $44.99

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

A lot of the new technology has been talked about with the ball but I just wanted to give a quick write up on my experience with the new TP5 golf balls.

The two largest complaints from consumers about the 2017 TP5 and TP5X golf balls was the durability and the sight line. TaylorMade created a simulation at their R&D department trying to re-create a ball hitting off the cart path. TaylorMade wanted to make sure their outer core was more durable where you’d see less scuff marks no matter if a ball was hit off cart path, tree or anything else while still creating the same feel as the previous generation of TP5. Here is a photo of the test done to both the old TP5X and new TP5X.

2017 TP5X (Left) vs 2019 TP5X (Right)

The last change TaylorMade made to the ball was shrinking the size of the sight line of TP5 on the side of the golf ball. It is now a similar size as the side stamp on a ProV1. This was a change I was very happy to see as I always draw a line over the side stamp but the previous TP5 stamp was large and I had a hard time covering the whole stamp. There are many people who had the same request and it will be a welcome addition to the lineup.

TP5X VS PROV1X TESTING

TaylorMade has hired 55 national ball fitters to travel the country and test the TP5 and TP5X against all the competition. I had the opportunity to go inside and test on a GC Quad the difference between the current ProV1X and the 2019 TP5X with a P760 6 iron. This session was very similar to the ones that will be completed across the country. I hit three 6 irons with both balls and here were the results.

ProV1X (Top) vs TP5X (Bottom)

2.3mph gain in ball speed, dropped the spin 1100 rpm, almost identical descent angle, 8 yard carry gain and a 9 yard total gain with the TP5X over the ProV1X. Seeing both the gains with the driver outside on a Trackman and inside on a GC Quad was quite the validation to me.

I currently play the 2017 TP5 because I like the softer feel, green side spin and the windows I get with all of my clubs with a bit lower flight. I have always got more distance with the TP5X but I just couldn't give up the feel I was getting around the greens with the TP5. The gains I saw with the new ball are really pushing me toward making the switch to the TP5X. I'll do more extensive testing this spring with both the new balls and report back.

TaylorMade Stealth 2 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS Black 6.5

TaylorMade P790 3 Iron Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade P770 4 Iron Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade P7MC 5-PW Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade MG Raw 52 & Hi-Toe 3 Raw 58 Dynamic Gold TI S400
TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Slant Neck
Taylormade TP5x

A lot of the new technology has been talked about with the ball but I just wanted to give a quick write up on my experience with the new TP5 golf balls.

The two largest complaints from consumers about the 2017 TP5 and TP5X golf balls was the durability and the sight line. TaylorMade created a simulation at their R&D department trying to re-create a ball hitting off the cart path. TaylorMade wanted to make sure their outer core was more durable where you’d see less scuff marks no matter if a ball was hit off cart path, tree or anything else while still creating the same feel as the previous generation of TP5. Here is a photo of the test done to both the old TP5X and new TP5X.

The last change TaylorMade made to the ball was shrinking the size of the sight line of TP5 on the side of the golf ball. It is now a similar size as the side stamp on a ProV1. This was a change I was very happy to see as I always draw a line over the side stamp but the previous TP5 stamp was large and I had a hard time covering the whole stamp. There are many people who had the same request and it will be a welcome addition to the lineup.

TP5X VS PROV1X TESTING

TaylorMade has hired 55 national ball fitters to travel the country and test the TP5 and TP5X against all the competition. I had the opportunity to go inside and test on a GC Quad the difference between the current ProV1X and the 2019 TP5X with a P760 6 iron. This session was very similar to the ones that will be completed across the country. I hit three 6 irons with both balls and here were the results.

2.3mph gain in ball speed, dropped the spin 1100 rpm, almost identical descent angle, 8 yard carry gain and a 9 yard total gain with the TP5X over the ProV1X. Seeing both the gains with the driver outside on a Trackman and inside on a GC Quad was quite the validation to me.

I currently play the 2017 TP5 because I like the softer feel, green side spin and the windows I get with all of my clubs with a bit lower flight. I have always got more distance with the TP5X but I just couldn't give up the feel I was getting around the greens with the TP5. The gains I saw with the new ball are really pushing me toward making the switch to the TP5X. I'll do more extensive testing this spring with both the new balls and report back.

Nice writeup. Is it fair to say that the added yardage and maintenance of the decent angle justifies the 1100rpm drop in backspin for you?

Driver: TSR3 10.0* | Accra Tour Z RPG 472 45"

5 Wood: SIM Max 18.5* | Mitsubishi MMT 85TX

2i: Mizuno Fli-Hi 18* | KBS Prototype 95X

3i: Ping i59 @ 21* | Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
4-PW: Callaway TCB Raw | Project X 7.0
Wedges: 50&54&60: Cleveland CBX Zipcore | Project X 6.5
Putter: Cobra Vintage Sport-60

TP5X VS PROV1X TESTING

Interesting. I have consistently gotten more distance from the TP5 but I have lower swing speed (95 to 100 legit, 5'7" 142lbs ). In the 1990s when Maxfli made the HT ball (tour ball, first urethane covered ball although they said it was synthetic Balata) before the Revolution I always preferred the 100s which were the higher compression ball and I have always had a very high level short game.

But with this TP5 I have leaned to the lower compression non X

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

TP5X VS PROV1X TESTING

Nice writeup. Is it fair to say that the added yardage and maintenance of the decent angle justifies the 1100rpm drop in backspin for you?

The TM ball engineers with whom TK3309 and I spoke with were adamant that people are wrong about spin being the most important thing for stopping shots with mid-to-long irons. Height and decent angle are more important, according to them.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

The TM ball engineers with whom TK3309 and I spoke with were adamant that people are wrong about spin being the most important thing for stopping shots with mid-to-long irons. Height and decent angle are more important, according to them.

I'll take their word for it. I'm going into my first full season playing the 790s and with the distance I've picked up from them (which has been noticeable) I question whether I really need to go to a ball like this, but I'll definitely tinker with it.

Driver: TSR3 10.0* | Accra Tour Z RPG 472 45"

5 Wood: SIM Max 18.5* | Mitsubishi MMT 85TX

2i: Mizuno Fli-Hi 18* | KBS Prototype 95X

3i: Ping i59 @ 21* | Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
4-PW: Callaway TCB Raw | Project X 7.0
Wedges: 50&54&60: Cleveland CBX Zipcore | Project X 6.5
Putter: Cobra Vintage Sport-60

There is no possible way that anybody knows or cares what new ball is coming out in 20019 damnit!

Driver: Taylormade Sim 9* w/ Ventus Red TR 6x

3-wood: Taylormade Sim Max 15* w/ Ventus Red 7x

5-wood: Taylormade Sim w/ Tour AD DI 7x

Driving Iron: Srixon ZX (3-iron)

Irons: Srixon ZX 7 (4 - 9 iron)

Wedges:  Ping Glide 4.0 Raw 46*, 50*, 56*  

Putter: Odyssey O-works 3T or Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Rat or Odyssey 7 Bird 

Golf Ball: '24 Titleist AVX

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet 2 wraps

Not sure about you, but I think I'll be dead by 20019.

Likely could do a search and see that there is a multi page thread on this already.

I searched and didn't find anything about your death.

I know this is old but this is the funniest response I've seen in a while. Been laughing for 5 minutes!

Titleist TSR3 Driver - Fujikura Ventus Black 6
Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 2H - Steelfiber FC 75
Callaway Apex Pro 3H - Steelfiber FC 75
Mizuno Pro 243 4i-PW - Dynamic Gold 105
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 60* - Dynamic Gold 105
Byron Morgan 615 - Fujikura MC Firm
Callaway Chrome Tour

It's TM you know something new is coming out.

Old, annoying joke. The Tp5 is 2 years old. They are refreshing it. Do you jump at Titleist when they refresh the ProV every 2 years?

I was just stating a fact, not making a joke. I like that they come out with new stuff frequently.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

TP5X VS PROV1X TESTING

Interesting. I have consistently gotten more distance from the TP5 but I have lower swing speed (95 to 100 legit, 5'7" 142lbs ). In the 1990s when Maxfli made the HT ball (tour ball, first urethane covered ball although they said it was synthetic Balata) before the Revolution I always preferred the 100s which were the higher compression ball and I have always had a very high level short game.

But with this TP5 I have leaned to the lower compression non X

I have also played the TP5 over year TP5X, but now I am wondering why! Time for a retest, I believe.

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way