Upgrade driver to Epic or Epic Flash?

BY#99 ·  
BY#99BY#99 Members  348WRX Points: 38Handicap: 10Posts: 348 Greens
So I have an older PING driver I am pleased with. An opportunity was presented to me on an Epic driver. My question is for those of you who have hit both the Epic and new Flash- has their been a huge difference? Any noticeable gain in accuracy, forgiveness, distance? I typically do not find huge gains from year to year so was curious. The Epic I can get is about 60% cheaper but if the Flash is worth it I do not long paying.
Posted:

Comments

• Charles.eichmanCharles.eichman ClubWRX  354WRX Points: 50Handicap: 6.5Posts: 354 ClubWRX
    I hate to say this but its different for everyone. I have customes stay with the epic (especially in lower SS) and some go Flash and see an increase in ball speed. Personally i made the switch to Flash SZ and I have zero regrets. I saw a slight increase in ballspeed (~2mph) but found myself far more accurate with better carry and spin.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD Members  1592WRX Points: 805Handicap: 1.8Posts: 1,592 Platinum Tees
    I would not recommend upgrading the flash for the current price. Epic is still a great driver.
    Posted:
    G410 LST  HZRDUS Smoke Hulk 6.5TX 60g 
    Epic Flash SZ 15* Tensei PW 80TX
    2-PW Ping Blueprint DG X7
    55* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    60* Hi-Toe Tour Issue S400
    TOULON Garage San Diego

• BY#99BY#99 Members  348WRX Points: 38Handicap: 10Posts: 348 Greens

I hate to say this but its different for everyone. I have customes stay with the epic (especially in lower SS) and some go Flash and see an increase in ball speed. Personally i made the switch to Flash SZ and I have zero regrets. I saw a slight increase in ballspeed (~2mph) but found myself far more accurate with better carry and spin.

When you say lower SS what is that you consider? I am 98-100 with the driver.
    Posted:
  • 2much2ask2much2ask Reston, VaMembers  42WRX Points: 21Handicap: 2.3Posts: 42 Bunkers
    As someone who has played the Epic Sub-Zero the past two years, but is a total PING homer, I understand what you are going through. I have tested the PING G410 and Epic Flash Sub Zero both with the same shafts and find that both are incredible drivers, but perform only marginally better than my Epic SZ. Your question regarding a gain in distance - for me the answer is Yes, as measured by my local fitting studio. Without the printout in front of me, I'd say it was ballpark 5-7 yards. What I really like about the Flash was the dispersion on misses. When I missed I still found the fairway, something that isn't always the case with the original Epic SZ. I was so impressed with the Flash (and the G410) that I am going to make the switch, just not sure to which one as a replacement to the original Epic.

Best of luck to you!
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Driver - Ping G410
    3W - Ping G410
    3H - Ping G410
    4i-PW - Ping i210 black dot
    GW - 50, Titleist Vokey SM6 F Grind
    SW - 54, Titleist Vokey SM8 S Grind
    LW - 58, Titleist Vokey SM8 M Grind
    Putter - Ping Sigma 2, Tyne-4 w/breakthrough golf tour shaft
    Ball - Titleist ProV1
  • TheBIIgCatTheBIIgCat ClubWRX  1449WRX Points: 102Handicap: 5Posts: 1,449 ClubWRX
    I had planned to get a flash, I went to buy one... I wouldn’t pay the going rate. I picked up an Epic TC head and it’s every bit as good as the flash, for me
    Posted:
    Driver- TC Epic 440 with Hzrdus T1100<br />3-Wood- 13 Degree Ping stretch with Ping Tour 75x<br />Hybrid- 915 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85<br />Irons- ( 4-PW ) JPX 900 Forged with 110s Steelfibers - Wedges- Sm6 Vokey 48 bent 2 degrees strong - sm6 vokey raw 56 bent to 55 , 58 Raw Low Bounce K grind ( 110 Steelfibers in all wedges same length shafts )<br />Putter- Scotty Cameron Laguna 1.5 Studio Torch Finish that I did...
  • mallratmallrat Members  3237WRX Points: 408Posts: 3,237 Titanium Tees
    I’ve played the Epic for 2 years and love it but went to a driver fitting with every intention of keeping it. Ended up finding a shaft that fit me better than my current one and after that there was no need to upgrade to the Flash.

Side note... I MUCH prefer the head shape of the Epic to the Flash.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Members  1213WRX Points: 223Handicap: 15Posts: 1,213 Platinum Tees
    I had an Epic for awhile. Long as ****. I kept pushing it for some reason. When my local shop guy saw me trading it in for my current 915d3 (I'm a titleist loon), his remark was, "you know you're livin wrong."

Hit my longest ever drive with it, other than that time I caught the sprinkler head downwind on a baked out fairway. I think the original Epic changed the paradigm.

If I could have pushed it less I'd have kept it. In retrospect I was going through a swing change.
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 10.5* Project X Evenflow Blue 65 R - CAMO!
    Cobra F9 15* 5w Project X Evenflow Blue 65 R
    Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
    Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade
  • BenkrossBenkross 1400 Rounds, Zero Aces Brooklyn, NyMembers  705WRX Points: 78Handicap: 2.4Posts: 705 Golden Tee
    Have the Epic SZ and the Epic. Hit the Flash SZ. No improvement for me and the sound is awful.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M5 9* (Tour AD TP6x)
    Epic 3 Wood 15* (Tour AD TP7x)
    R15 TP 20* Speeder 869 Evo TSx
    716 AP2 4-PW - ProjectX 6.0
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 51/9 - TI S400 
    SM6 S Grind 56/10 - Project X 6.0
    Hi-Toe 60/ATV - Projet X 6.0
    DJ Spider 34", 2.5*
    TP 5/5x

• BrandonDunesBrandonDunes Members  448WRX Points: 137Posts: 448 Greens
    I hit the Flash at a demo day and liked it, seemed more forgiving than the Epic. So, I just bought another Epic head in a different loft.
    Posted:
    Driver - Callaway Epic SZ 10.5º
    3W - Taylor Made Jetspeed HL º17
    H - Callaway Xhot Pro 23º
    Irons - Mizuno JPX919 Hotmetal 5-GW
    SW - Callaway MD3 (S-52º)
    LW - Callaway MD3 (W-58º)
    Putter - Scotty Cameron
  • Fourpar18Fourpar18 Members  2742WRX Points: 188Posts: 2,742 Titanium Tees
    I have hit all the new drivers and I went back to the Rogue Sub Zero. It (Epic SZ) sound better than the Flash and the numbers are about the same for us mere mortals. 1-2 MPH off the face could be you swinging better one day and not the next, the question you should be asking is if you want the "new kid on the block?" I love the ROGUE and if I was going to any of the new stuff it would be the F9. The other thing is the Flash color scheme is the worst...and I love Augusta!
    Posted:

Titleist TS2 Driver

Titleist TS2 3 wood

Titleist TS2 Hybrid 

Titleist T200 irons

Titleist Vokey 52

Titleist Vokey 56

Titleist Vokey 60

Scotty Cameron Concept X-01

• GL3GL3 NHClubWRX  111WRX Points: 28Handicap: 8Posts: 111 ClubWRX
    I owned a Epic SZ it was great, until the carbon crown began separating from the head by the hosel. At first I thought it was a crack but after some research found it wasn't, and actually a well documented issue. Some will say it won't affect performance, some will. For me it was just knowing its there was the biggest issue. I'm sure that flaw has been resolved by now. The 60% could come with a headache. Callaway has great customer service.
    Posted:

G410 9* Plus - Speeder 757 TR TX

GBB 15* - Diamana BF 70 TX

G410 19 - PW 100 TX

Srixon Z745 4-P Elevate Pro R Volkey 50, 54, 58

Betti BB1

Subject to frequent changes.

Advertisement
  • T.B.T.B. Members  309WRX Points: 106Handicap: 10Posts: 309 Greens
    I have a buddy that’s a club pro. Watched him hit both on track man. Almost identical.
    Posted:
  • BY#99BY#99 Members  348WRX Points: 38Handicap: 10Posts: 348 Greens
    Seems based on the feedback that the original Epic seems to be able to keep up with the new Flash. I think for me, I will save the $300 and grab the original Epic that I have a chance to get. Seems the performance is close and similar.
    Posted:
  • lenman73lenman73 Members  838WRX Points: 179Posts: 838 Golden Tee
    A few weeks ago I got a like new epic from callaway preowned dirt cheap on a sale they had. Might still be going on.
    Posted:
  • woods991woods991 believelandClubWRX  2557WRX Points: 185Handicap: 12Posts: 2,557 Titanium Tees
    mallrat wrote:

I've played the Epic for 2 years and love it but went to a driver fitting with every intention of keeping it. Ended up finding a shaft that fit me better than my current one and after that there was no need to upgrade to the Flash.

Side note... I MUCH prefer the head shape of the Epic to the Flash.

I agree the head shape is weird on the Flash and the sound is even weirder. Hit the F9 you will be shocked I am also a Ping fan but wow this head (only in simulator I have hit it) is the special head for '19 IMO.
    Posted:
    Signature of Solon CC
    Mizuno st200 10.5 w/Kuro Kage XM60
    Titleist TS2 (tour issue)15 Aldila Blue NV 70 42.75”
    Mizuno Jpx 919 Hot Metal Nippon Modus3 Pro 105 4-pw 
    Ping Glide 3.0 50 TT s400 tour issue
    Ping Glide 3.0 54 (Eye2) sole, Modus3 Pro 105
    Ping Glide 3.0 60 (Eye2)sole Modus3 Pro 105
    Evnroll Er10 Outback 33.75

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.